Political discussions
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: Chinese Trade War

Post by Ivytalk »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: OK. So as long as we keep getting flooded with cheap Chinese sh*t, whatever the Red Chunks do with our technology is OK. Gotcha. No existential threat here. Move along.

A generation or two ago, before WalMart, we were flooded with cheap Japanese sh*t. Remember that? But we adjusted without losing our intellectual property.
I'm still in possession of some of that Japanese ****.

:rimshot:
But she didn’t come cheap. 8-)

:rimshot: :rimshot:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
The big thing is that Chinese leaders can play the long game and US leaders cannot.
That horse is dead, John

The answer is to acknowledge the advantages of their dictatorial system and then do nothing. That’s what you’re arguing for.
They're just better businessmen than we are.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Was wondering where this thread went.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
The big thing is that Chinese leaders can play the long game and US leaders cannot.
That horse is dead, John

The answer is to acknowledge the advantages of their dictatorial system and then do nothing. That’s what you’re arguing for.
Correlation =/= Causation :coffee:

Them being better capitalists than us is not necessarily the result of their dictatorial system. Further study would be required to test that hypothesis.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
That horse is dead, John

Them being better capitalists than us is not necessarily the result of their dictatorial system. Further study would be required to test that hypothesis.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Did you type that with a straight face?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:
houndawg wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You think that they're better capitalists than us because of their dictatorial system.. :?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You think that they're better capitalists than us because of their dictatorial system.. :?
Eliminates all those pesky rules and regulations that get in the way of pure capitalism.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Chinese Trade War

Post by CID1990 »

It is disingenuous to call China “capitalist” because it implies that everyone in China enjoys the free practice of capitalism. (Clitz knows this)

China’s government generates revenue through allowing capitalist freedoms to the Chinese elites (coincidentally also Party members or closely connected to them). They allow corporate ownership of nonstrategic industries.

However, all Chinese companies are ultimately state owned. The means of production are state owned. The Central Committee 100% picks the corporate winners and losers (there are no losers though.... there are well connected corporate officers who are either in favor or out of favor). Chinese companies still must get Party sign-off on all major corporate decisions.

The average Chinese citizen still very much lives in a Communist dictatorship. He lives where he is told based on his household registration. He cannot just up and move to a new province to look for work where pay is better. His wages are fixed by the state. There is no significant profit sharing.

Outside of a food cart or garment shop that generates less than about 10,000 dollars per year, he cannot start up a company that he owns, and if he does start one it will be ultimately State owned and cannot directly compete with other companies (think all those gaps are filled? Yes they are.)

China as a country engages in capitalistic practices and participates in global markets but they are most definitely a command economy, single party dictatorship. There are few to zero comparisons with free market capitalist systems alongside guarantees of personal liberties like what we are accustomed to in the West.

They don’t “do capitalism” better than we do because they don’t “do capitalism”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

mainejeff2 wrote:Trump tweeting the Fed to lower rates again.

Remember the time Conks used to lambaste The Fed under Janet Yellen for constantly lowering rates?
What?
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Eliminates all those pesky rules and regulations that get in the way of pure capitalism.
True
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
True
Regardless, Trump has shown "the rules" weren't really the rules. More than one way to accomplish what the US needs.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

They will win any trade war we choose to start with them.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote:They will win any trade war we choose to start with them.
They're not doing so hot in their current one.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

We know, JSO

You're in the "don't resist and don't make the Chinese mad" camp

Reminds me a bit of the "Don't rile the Soviets" crowd in the 1980s.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote:
We know, JSO

Indeed, I hear JSO is already taking classes in Mandarin in order to make his assimilation easier.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: Chinese Trade War

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote:
We know, JSO

Or Neville Chamberlain.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

SeattleGriz wrote:
They're not doing so hot in their current one.
Yes they are. The have always been and continue to be in the position of advantage. Trump is doing his "move dirt to the other side of the road to make people think something is going on" thing with you. He's not beating the Chinese.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:
We know, JSO

I'm just dealing with reality. It is a totalitarian regime populated by intelligent people that does not have to worry about political consequences dealing with a US President who is a dumbass and who will also be out of power in no more than a little over 5 years and possibly a little over 1 year. And it's in the context of a situation in which the US population has become accustomed to cheap Chinese goods.

How anybody would think Trump's approach to this...where he apparently thinks he's in the position of advantage...is beyond me.
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
We know, JSO

I'm just dealing with reality. It is a totalitarian regime populated by intelligent people that does not have to worry about political consequences dealing with a US President who is a dumbass and who will also be out of power in no more than a little over 5 years and possibly a little over 1 year. And it's in the context of a situation in which the US population has become accustomed to cheap Chinese goods.

How anybody would think Trump's approach to this...where he apparently thinks he's in the position of advantage...is beyond me.
We have to resist the Chinese on multiple fronts. Tariffs are a part of that formula. Why you think we shouldn't be resisting China's aggressive predatory practices with every tool in the box just because of who the President is .... is beyond me
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:It is disingenuous to call China “capitalist” because it implies that everyone in China enjoys the free practice of capitalism. (Clitz knows this)

China’s government generates revenue through allowing capitalist freedoms to the Chinese elites (coincidentally also Party members or closely connected to them). They allow corporate ownership of nonstrategic industries.

However, all Chinese companies are ultimately state owned. The means of production are state owned. The Central Committee 100% picks the corporate winners and losers (there are no losers though.... there are well connected corporate officers who are either in favor or out of favor). Chinese companies still must get Party sign-off on all major corporate decisions.

The average Chinese citizen still very much lives in a Communist dictatorship. He lives where he is told based on his household registration. He cannot just up and move to a new province to look for work where pay is better. His wages are fixed by the state. There is no significant profit sharing.

Outside of a food cart or garment shop that generates less than about 10,000 dollars per year, he cannot start up a company that he owns, and if he does start one it will be ultimately State owned and cannot directly compete with other companies (think all those gaps are filled? Yes they are.)

China as a country engages in capitalistic practices and participates in global markets but they are most definitely a command economy, single party dictatorship. There are few to zero comparisons with free market capitalist systems alongside guarantees of personal liberties like what we are accustomed to in the West.

They don’t “do capitalism” better than we do because they don’t “do capitalism”.

Then its disingenuous to call the US "capitalist" too, if thatt implies that everyone in the US enjoys the free practice of capitalism. Only a very small number of Americans really have any chance to own the means of production.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
We know, JSO

I'm just dealing with reality.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thank you! Year-end siggy revealed! :lol:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote:
CID1990 wrote:It is disingenuous to call China “capitalist” because it implies that everyone in China enjoys the free practice of capitalism. (Clitz knows this)

Then its disingenuous to call the US "capitalist" too, if thatt implies that everyone in the US enjoys the free practice of capitalism. Only a very small number of Americans really have any chance to own the means of production.
it's easy to own a piece of production. Just go to Schwab or something similar and buy shares of an S&P 500 index fund.

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote:
houndawg wrote:
it's easy to own a piece of production. Just go to Schwab or something similar and buy shares of an S&P 500 index fund.

:roll:

So can anyone in China
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

We have to resist the Chinese on multiple fronts. Tariffs are a part of that formula. Why you think we shouldn't be resisting China's aggressive predatory practices with every tool in the box just because of who the President is .... is beyond me
Well, that and the fact that JSO can't see that China, trade war or not, is not in some invincible position economically. They are already dealing with the negative impact of the state being the owner of so much in the economy that the inefficient parts of the economy don't get removed as they would in a more open system, they are already dealing with significant cuts in their economic growth when they are absolutely dependent on growing far faster than they are currently, they are already dealing with no longer being the low cost manufacturer of choice, as there are plenty of other developing countries that have already stolen significant business from China, and they are also dealing with the difficulty of still being vastly behind in terms of overall technological adoption in all parts of their country compared to most Western nations. There is no absolute certainty in any shape or form that China will be the dominant economic country in the years, or century, to come. I'm not sure there's even a moderate certainty of that. JSO's knowledge of economics is his weak spot - it's like Chizzy on things not related to Comcast. :coffee:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

mainejeff2 wrote:Me Chinese. Me play joke. Me put pee-pee in your Coke.

Anyone remember that one?

:coffee:
No, but I do remember the "ancient Chinese secret" tagline in those commercials for laundry detergent.