A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: All Things California

Post by houndawg »

CAA Flagship wrote:
houndawg wrote:
CA also has 40,000,000 million people
So that would be.......um......40,000,000,000,000 people? :shock:
:lol: that's a lot!

Its SD Hornet's crowd, breeding like rabbits...
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: All Things California

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
Rauner's no peach but he isn't running illinois. Mike Madigan is the Khan of Madiganistan and is much more responsible for its many woes.
Rauner isn't tough enough for the job even if he gave a **** about anything other than tax cuts for plutocrats. Unlike JB in CA. :coffee:
But IL needs someone in the mansion saying no to Madigan. It's really going to go to sh!t when his biotch JB wins the governor's race.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Chizzang wrote:Name all the states where you can

Snow Ski
Surf
Class 4/5 River Raft
World class mountain bike
Stand on a 10,800 foot peak
Hike a true desert trail with thousand year old Joshua Trees
Scuba dive (in a kelp forest)

and have a choice of any of those in the same afternoon

California by a light year... and 2nd place ain't even close
Look I love this country a lot and have lived from North Carolina Texas to Hawaii and more..
and travel all over this country over 100 days a year for the last 20 years

California by a LIGHT YEAR in this contest
Take out "Joshua Trees" (as they're only found in that one small area) and Oregon and Washington are close. It would be like me asking in how many states can you catch a spring run chinook and see a petrified ginkgo forest in the same afternoon?

:kisswink:

Yes, the WC(b) is amazingly diverse compared to the rest of the country (except of course Alaska and its unmatched ecoregions. :lol: )

I also like Ganny's point. :nod:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: All Things California

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Rauner isn't tough enough for the job even if he gave a **** about anything other than tax cuts for plutocrats. Unlike JB in CA. :coffee:
But IL needs someone in the mansion saying no to Madigan. It's really going to go to sh!t when his biotch JB wins the governor's race.
I don't disagree but Madigan has been whooping Rauner's ass with metronomic regularity from day one.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

kalm wrote:

Snow Ski
Surf
Class 4/5 River Raft

Look I love this country a lot and have lived from North Carolina Texas to Hawaii and more..

Take out "Joshua Trees" (as they're only found in that one small area) and Oregon and Washington are close. It would be like me asking in how many states can you catch a spring run chinook and see a petrified ginkgo forest in the same afternoon?

Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Chizzang wrote:
kalm wrote:

(Oh come on, I fought your hyperbole with hyperbole as well as a poor analogy. It's a cs.com double play)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:

Snow Ski
Surf
Class 4/5 River Raft

Yes, the WC(b) is amazingly diverse compared to the rest of the country (except of course Alaska and its unmatched ecoregions. :lol: )

I also like Ganny's point. :nod:
Washington's on my list of places to see (well, really the whole Pacific Northwest). I was only in Oregon on a business trip but got out to the coast and even did a hike and I loved it. Gorgeous country.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

houndawg wrote:
89Hen wrote: Ocean Isle. Next to last beach in NC.
By Oak Island?
A couple beaches still further south (technically west). The coast of NC actually curves so much down by SC that the last couple beaches face almost due south.

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I spent a long weekend on Oak Island for my ex-SIL’s wedding. Meh. It was OK.

I liked my ex-BIL’s wedding festivities in Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach much more.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote:I spent a long weekend on Oak Island for my ex-SIL’s wedding. Meh. It was OK.

I liked my ex-BIL’s wedding festivities in Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach much more.
I've only driven onto it once but it's a very strange island. The vast majority of the homes are separated from the beach by a creek. There are only a couple of streets parallel to the beach that actually have easy access to it. OIB is our favorite of the chain. Used to be only one high rise for condos, but they put a bunch of three story ones down on our end of the island. We've stayed in the same two homes for 20 years. There's very little commercial space on the island, but it's an easy drive over the causeway to get anything you need (other than Saturday moving day).
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

CAA Flagship wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

So does Louisiana - and California's is much easier to fix
Easier? Salt it difficult (read costly) to remove. Louisiana can draw fresh water from the Mississippi River. They just have to filter out the piss, shit, and homeless people that float down from St. Louis.

Louisiana's water problem is that the state is sinking into it. It is losing an area the size of a football field every hour. Since 1939 it has lost an area 1.25 times the size of Rhode Island to the Gulf.
:thumb:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

dbackjon wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Easier? Salt it difficult (read costly) to remove. Louisiana can draw fresh water from the Mississippi River. They just have to filter out the piss, ****, and homeless people that float down from St. Louis.

Louisiana's water problem is that the state is sinking into it. It is losing an area the size of a football field every hour. Since 1939 it has lost an area 1.25 times the size of Rhode Island to the Gulf.
But it hasn't yet lost the part with JSO on it. :tap:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Ivytalk wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

It floats on a bubble of hot air...
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

89Hen wrote:
houndawg wrote:
By Oak Island?
A couple beaches still further south (technically west). The coast of NC actually curves so much down by SC that the last couple beaches face almost due south.

We met up with friends and family there a couple of years ago and it took me a couple of days to get used to the sun coming up from the "wrong" direction. Felt like I should have been looking straight at the rising sun but it was over my left shoulder :?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

houndawg wrote:We met up with friends and family there a couple of years ago and it took me a couple of days to get used to the sun coming up from the "wrong" direction. Felt like I should have been looking straight at the rising sun but it was over my left shoulder :?
It actually helps with sleeping in. :thumb:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

dbackjon wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:California has a water problem. And a water problem is a big problem.

CA has a leftist problem. The leftist envirowakos won't allow for water storage systems to be built, hence the man made water problem. If Gov Moonbeam gets his tunnels, a good chunk of SoCal's water problem is fixed.
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

houndawg wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Except Illinois. Where you choose to live. :coffee:
Actually CA is doing very well compared to IL and Jerry Brown is doing a much better job than tired old Bruce Rauner. But I couldn't pave my driveway in CA for what we paid for 25 acres with a house, barn, and pool. And this corner of IL is a hidden gem. :thumb:

If that is the case, you must be a long way from Chicago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

San Diego is my favorite Cal city. San Fran in October comes close.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Ivytalk wrote:San Diego is my favorite Cal city. San Fran in October comes close.
SD is pretty much LA2 these days. :ohno:
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

houndawg wrote:
89Hen wrote: A couple beaches still further south (technically west). The coast of NC actually curves so much down by SC that the last couple beaches face almost due south.

We met up with friends and family there a couple of years ago and it took me a couple of days to get used to the sun coming up from the "wrong" direction. Felt like I should have been looking straight at the rising sun but it was over my left shoulder :?

Can this area beat the OBX? If so, it must really be fantastic.

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

dbackjon wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:California has a water problem. And a water problem is a big problem.

Louisiana does not have a water problem. I Googled and was able to find a GAO report at https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-14-430 suggesting it might but there's no way. There is water everywhere. The average annual rainfall at New Orleans is 62 inches. If you go up the the northern end of the State at Shreveport it's 51 inches. To put that into pespective: Seattle has a reputation for being rainy and its average annual rainfall is 34 inches. And while Washington has inland areas that are not so rainy Louisiana does not. New Orleans and Shreveport are in the Southeast and Northwest corners. If you go to the Southwest corner the annual Lake Charles average is 58 inches. If you got to the Northeast corner the Monroe average is 54 inches. If you go the middle of the State the Alexandria average is 61 inches. It's rainy EVERYWHERE.

The Mississippi River, obviously, has the highest freshwater discharge of any stream in the United States at an average of 593,000 cfs. Number two is the Ohio River at 281,500 cfs and that's not that much more than the #6 Atchafalaya at 225,000 cfs. The Atchafalaya mouth is also in Louisiana.

The GAO report is based on what water managers say they expect in terms of "water shortages." I suspect that makes it a relative thing. What a water shortage is to a Louisiana water manager might be different than what a water shortage is to a Utah water manager. And I say that because the GAO report has Utah as a State where water managers said they didn't expect any water shortages. To suggest that Utah has less to worry about in terms of availability of fresh water than Louisiana does is ridiculous.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

dbackjon wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Easier? Salt it difficult (read costly) to remove. Louisiana can draw fresh water from the Mississippi River. They just have to filter out the piss, ****, and homeless people that float down from St. Louis.

Oh, OK. Yes. That sort of thing is happening largely because the rivers have been confined. So historically rivers were unconfined and distributed sediments to build the deltas and now they have been confined by levees so that the sediments get transported out into the Gulf. But that is not as bad as the problem California has with availability of fresh water. Not nearly. Louisiana has to worry about stuff like losing fisheries production. California has to worry, at some point, about having enough fresh water for people to drink.
Last edited by JohnStOnge on Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ivytalk wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Nor will it because I live in well away from the immediate coast.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

If Trump says "wrong" you pretty much know the correct answer is "right."
Could I ever be a star?

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

css75 wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Actually CA is doing very well compared to IL and Jerry Brown is doing a much better job than tired old Bruce Rauner. But I couldn't pave my driveway in CA for what we paid for 25 acres with a house, barn, and pool. And this corner of IL is a hidden gem. :thumb:

If that is the case, you must be a long way from Chicago.

St. Louis, Nashville, Memphis, Indianapolis....all hours closer. Most of Kentucky is north of here.