All Things California

Political discussions
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: All Things California

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:44 pm California scores staggering $75B budget surplus
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.co ... plus%3famp
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And the FIRST thing Newsom is figuring out how to do is SPEND it. What a fucking tool.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:40 pm
Skjellyfetti wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:44 pm California scores staggering $75B budget surplus
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.co ... plus%3famp

And the FIRST thing Newsom is figuring out how to do is SPEND it. What a fucking tool.
California is unusually reliant on receipts from capital gains tax, so a strong year in the market is good news for state government.
First, Newsom should write a thank you to former President Trump for the strong stock market performance. :D

Second, if you're that dependent on the market for revenues, it's critical to have reserves to help you cover the difference during bad years. Common sense ain't so common.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

It's only a surplus when the pension liabilities aren't taken into account. :coffee:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:58 pm It's only a surplus when the pension liabilities aren't taken into account. :coffee:
You'd think the state would wise up and hire some of the union guys to do their negotiating. Companies always hire ex-union bosses when they launch a union avoidance campaign.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:35 am
SDHornet wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:58 pm It's only a surplus when the pension liabilities aren't taken into account. :coffee:
You'd think the state would wise up and hire some of the union guys to do their negotiating. Companies always hire ex-union bosses when they launch a union avoidance campaign.
Who do you think negotiated all the bloated retirement benefits. :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:19 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:40 pm

California is unusually reliant on receipts from capital gains tax, so a strong year in the market is good news for state government.
First, Newsom should write a thank you to former President Trump for the strong stock market performance. :D

Second, if you're that dependent on the market for revenues, it's critical to have reserves to help you cover the difference during bad years. Common sense ain't so common.
Yep. Thought the same thing. The market giveth, and the market (soon) will taketh away.... :nod: :nod: :nod:

Especially if Biden's business taxation plan gets any legs. :ohno: :ohno: :dunce: :dunce:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:26 pm
SDHornet wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:12 pm Going to be fun watching all the pro-trans Leftists throwing shade at Caitlyn's run for governor all because she/he has an "R" next to her/his name.

Damn good campaign ad by the way. :nod:

She sounds like a dude. :coffee:
I wonder what she did with her pecker after the operation? Have it stuffed and mounted?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

houndawg wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:24 pm I wonder what she did with her pecker after the operation? Have it stuffed and mounted?
Can you imagine how much that would have gotten at auction? :lol:

BTW... mounted. :rofl:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:34 am Especially if Biden's business taxation plan gets any legs. :ohno: :ohno: :dunce: :dunce:
It is only the money over $400,000 right? Asking for a friend.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:19 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:34 am Especially if Biden's business taxation plan gets any legs. :ohno: :ohno: :dunce: :dunce:
It is only the money over $400,000 right? Asking for a friend.
BUSINESS. Not personal.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:22 am
houndawg wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:35 am

There's no doubt which side had the better negotiators. :coffee:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

89Hen wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:17 pm
houndawg wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:24 pm I wonder what she did with her pecker after the operation? Have it stuffed and mounted?
Can you imagine how much that would have gotten at auction? :lol:

BTW... mounted. :rofl:
I'd say it qualifies as a non-fungible token...
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:35 pm
SDHornet wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:22 am

And it's even easier when both sides are on the same team. :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:16 pm
houndawg wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:35 pm
Is Houndie's point about which side has the better negotiators an argument against universal healthcare? Won't the "poor" negotiators be the types creating policy and negotiating the healthcare agreements?
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:36 pm

Is Houndie's point about which side has the better negotiators an argument against universal healthcare? Won't the "poor" negotiators be the types creating policy and negotiating the healthcare agreements?
:roll:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

(CNN)A federal judge overturned California's longtime ban on assault weapons on Friday in a ruling that likened the AR-15 to a Swiss Army knife.

Assault weapons have been banned in California since 1989, according to the ruling. The law has been updated several times since it was originally passed.
According to the ruling by US District Judge Roger Benitez of San Diego, the assault weapons ban violates the Second Amendment's right to bear arms and deprives Californians from owning assault-style weapons commonly allowed in other states. Benitez issued a permanent injunction Friday so the law cannot be enforced.
"Like the Swiss Army Knife, the popular AR-15 rifle is a perfect combination of home defense weapon and homeland defense equipment," Benitez said in the ruling. "Firearms deemed as 'assault weapons' are fairly ordinary, popular, modern rifles."
https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/05/us/calif ... index.html

Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

What’s to negotiate?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:35 am
What’s to negotiate?
Pricing
Coverage
Size and makeup of the death panels

All sorts of things.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:36 am
kalm wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:35 am

What’s to negotiate?
Pricing
Coverage

All sorts of things.
Perhaps. But negotiating pricing is something the government does all the time. Death panels already exist under the current conditions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:00 am

Pricing
Coverage

All sorts of things.
Perhaps. But negotiating pricing is something the government does all the time. Death panels already exist under the current conditions.
They do, no argument there. Difference will be the vastly more public nature of government, and people's elected officials, being the ones so close to the death panels. Government has a way of being a lightning rod for things they get closely involved with, and the death panels will be no different.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Pricing
Coverage

All sorts of things.
Are you feeling ok? You're bouncing around like the Noid. I'll try and put all of the relevant posts together so you can follow the stream of the discussion.
houndawg wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:35 amYou'd think the state would wise up and hire some of the union guys to do their negotiating. Companies always hire ex-union bosses when they launch a union avoidance campaign.
SDHornet wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:22 amWho do you think negotiated all the bloated retirement benefits. :lol:
houndawg wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:35 pmThere's no doubt which side had the better negotiators. :coffee:
SDHornet wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:16 pmAnd it's even easier when both sides are on the same team. :coffee:
UNI88 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:36 pmIs Houndie's point about which side has the better negotiators an argument against universal healthcare? Won't the "poor" negotiators be the types creating policy and negotiating the healthcare agreements?
The same negotiators who got their azzes handed to them by the unions are going to be negotiating pricing, coverage, benefits, etc. under universal healthcare.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

But but but it'll work better next time...
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:40 am

Are you feeling ok? You're bouncing around like the Noid. I'll try and put all of the relevant posts together so you can follow the stream of the discussion.
houndawg wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:35 amYou'd think the state would wise up and hire some of the union guys to do their negotiating. Companies always hire ex-union bosses when they launch a union avoidance campaign.
SDHornet wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:22 amWho do you think negotiated all the bloated retirement benefits. :lol:
houndawg wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:35 pmThere's no doubt which side had the better negotiators. :coffee:
SDHornet wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:16 pmAnd it's even easier when both sides are on the same team. :coffee:
UNI88 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:36 pmIs Houndie's point about which side has the better negotiators an argument against universal healthcare? Won't the "poor" negotiators be the types creating policy and negotiating the healthcare agreements?
The same negotiators who got their azzes handed to them by the unions are going to be negotiating pricing, coverage, benefits, etc. under universal healthcare.
That’s what I get for trying to be a reductionist. :lol:

Interesting point. Unions acting out of self interest which may or may not be counter productive to the general public. Same as corporations.

In other words, we’d improve the system but it’s just so damn hard!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:08 am

They do, no argument there. Difference will be the vastly more public nature of government, and people's elected officials, being the ones so close to the death panels. Government has a way of being a lightning rod for things they get closely involved with, and the death panels will be no different.
Especially when the government is controlled by special interests.