css75
Level3
Level3

Re: All Things California

Post by css75 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

So does Louisiana - and California's is much easier to fix
Louisiana does not have a water problem. I Googled and was able to find a GAO report at https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-14-430 suggesting it might but there's no way. There is water everywhere. The average annual rainfall at New Orleans is 62 inches. If you go up the the northern end of the State at Shreveport it's 51 inches. To put that into pespective: Seattle has a reputation for being rainy and its average annual rainfall is 34 inches. And while Washington has inland areas that are not so rainy Louisiana does not. New Orleans and Shreveport are in the Southeast and Northwest corners. If you go to the Southwest corner the annual Lake Charles average is 58 inches. If you got to the Northeast corner the Monroe average is 54 inches. If you go the middle of the State the Alexandria average is 61 inches. It's rainy EVERYWHERE.

The Mississippi River, obviously, has the highest freshwater discharge of any stream in the United States at an average of 593,000 cfs. Number two is the Ohio River at 281,500 cfs and that's not that much more than the #6 Atchafalaya at 225,000 cfs. The Atchafalaya mouth is also in Louisiana.

The GAO report is based on what water managers say they expect in terms of "water shortages." I suspect that makes it a relative thing. What a water shortage is to a Louisiana water manager might be different than what a water shortage is to a Utah water manager. And I say that because the GAO report has Utah as a State where water managers said they didn't expect any water shortages. To suggest that Utah has less to worry about in terms of availability of fresh water than Louisiana does is ridiculous.

Water is always a concern in Utah, though presently Northern Utah where I am is in pretty good shape presently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Louisiana does not have a water problem. I Googled and was able to find a GAO report at https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-14-430 suggesting it might but there's no way. There is water everywhere. The average annual rainfall at New Orleans is 62 inches. If you go up the the northern end of the State at Shreveport it's 51 inches. To put that into pespective: Seattle has a reputation for being rainy and its average annual rainfall is 34 inches. And while Washington has inland areas that are not so rainy Louisiana does not. New Orleans and Shreveport are in the Southeast and Northwest corners. If you go to the Southwest corner the annual Lake Charles average is 58 inches. If you got to the Northeast corner the Monroe average is 54 inches. If you go the middle of the State the Alexandria average is 61 inches. It's rainy EVERYWHERE.

The Mississippi River, obviously, has the highest freshwater discharge of any stream in the United States at an average of 593,000 cfs. Number two is the Ohio River at 281,500 cfs and that's not that much more than the #6 Atchafalaya at 225,000 cfs. The Atchafalaya mouth is also in Louisiana.

The GAO report is based on what water managers say they expect in terms of "water shortages." I suspect that makes it a relative thing. What a water shortage is to a Louisiana water manager might be different than what a water shortage is to a Utah water manager. And I say that because the GAO report has Utah as a State where water managers said they didn't expect any water shortages. To suggest that Utah has less to worry about in terms of availability of fresh water than Louisiana does is ridiculous.
JSO majored in hydrology at McNeese, with minors in political science, statistics, genetics, human physiology, animal husbandry, and creative writing.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

We don’t have a water problem, we have a human problem.

Hydrology, hydrological engineering, and water conservation are dam cool fields.

There are a number of battles brewing over water rights and ownership throughout the West. It’s becoming a big deal. :nod:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

CA has a leftist problem. The leftist envirowakos won't allow for water storage systems to be built, hence the man made water problem. If Gov Moonbeam gets his tunnels, a good chunk of SoCal's water problem is fixed.
CA has a Nestle problem too. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

Hydrology, hydrological engineering, and water conservation are dam cool fields.

There are a number of battles brewing over water rights and ownership throughout the West. It’s becoming a big deal. :nod:
:lol:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote:
kalm wrote:

:mrgreen:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Good to work in a field with lots of retention.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote:
kalm wrote:
Good to work in a field with lots of retention.
:rimshot:

Where the information just flows to you....
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

I'll stop if you will...
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Easier? Salt it difficult (read costly) to remove. Louisiana can draw fresh water from the Mississippi River. They just have to filter out the piss, shit, and homeless people that float down from St. Louis.

Louisiana's water problem is that the state is sinking into it. It is losing an area the size of a football field every hour. Since 1939 it has lost an area 1.25 times the size of Rhode Island to the Gulf.
If you think that's a problem - 50% of our oil refineries are in that area. 16 sq miles a year is ridiculous.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

css75 wrote:Can this area beat the OBX? If so, it must really be fantastic.
I prefer it.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

93henfan wrote:
As far as beaches go, no contest whatsoever. Southern California beaches are basically 75 degrees +/-10 and sunny 300+ days per year and there is little humidity and no mosquitoes or flies. And the women. Oh, the women.
The water is cold.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ivytalk wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

JSO majored in hydrology at McNeese, with minors in political science, statistics, genetics, human physiology, animal husbandry, and creative writing.
You don't need to major in a lot to know that Louisiana has plenty of water.
Could I ever be a star?

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
93henfan wrote:
As far as beaches go, no contest whatsoever. Southern California beaches are basically 75 degrees +/-10 and sunny 300+ days per year and there is little humidity and no mosquitoes or flies. And the women. Oh, the women.
The water is cold.
San Diego isn’t bad. Lompoc and north yeah, miserably cold. That was around where it was winter wetsuit mandatory.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Don't know if anybody posted something like this but here is another problem with California from https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... ordability.

It's 49th in affordability cost of living wise. Only Hawaii is worse.

I haven't seen a whole lot of California. Obviously it's going to have a lot of environmental variation. It's got a long north/south axis. It's got a mountain range so that the coast is going to be a lot different than inland on the other side of the mountains.
Could I ever be a star?

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:Don't know if anybody posted something like this but here is another problem with California from https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... ordability.

I haven't seen a whole lot of California. Obviously it's going to have a lot of environmental variation. It's got a long north/south axis. It's got a mountain range so that the coast is going to be a lot different than inland on the other side of the mountains.
But, JSO, you love Cali because it’s solid anti-Trump Donk. Your kind of people! :thumb:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Ivytalk wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:Don't know if anybody posted something like this but here is another problem with California from https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... ordability.

But, JSO, you love Cali because it’s solid anti-Trump Donk. Your kind of people! :thumb:
JSO is the only Republican on here that isn't actively
licking Trump's ball sack

You and CID have retained a little dignity but it's sketchy at best

Even your dead hero Krauthammer thinks Trump was colluding
Oh... Happy Birthday Yesterday (BTW: My birthday is today June 25th)
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: But, JSO, you love Cali because it’s solid anti-Trump Donk. Your kind of people! :thumb:

hey here's a news flash for you Clodz

the central theme to Krauthammer's entire body of work was moral commentary

and in that respect, the Trumpies did collude

and Hillary did intend to violate government transparency rules and laws

and the Obama admin did seek to conceal its creation of a failed state behind a video

and Bush did cook the books to get us into a land war in southwest Asia

and Bill Clinton was a cad (arguably the least bad of all the rest... )

Krauthammer spoke about the corruption in the hearts and minds - just by virtue of the willingness to take a meeting to see if a Russian had dirt on Clinton - they were looking to collude - and I agree with him. They are just as sleazy as using a foreign cutout to conduct oppo research. And ironically, it was Trump's cheapskatedness that prevented it from being collusion in fact

Krauthammer also spoke of many other moral truths which would not sit so well with those who are pointing to his collusion narrative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Chizzang wrote: JSO is the only Republican on here that isn't actively
I THINK I appreciate that but I'm not a Republican. I'm a conservative who is registered as a Libertarian. Until the past couple of years I typically voted Republican in national elections based on the principle of voting for the most acceptable of the two candidates that have a chance to win.

But the Republicans are way off the rails right now. For the foreseeable future there is no WAY I'm voting Republican.

Won't matter because I live in Louisiana. But I'm not doing it.
Could I ever be a star?

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Chizzang wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: But, JSO, you love Cali because it’s solid anti-Trump Donk. Your kind of people! :thumb:

Thanks for the birthday wishes, which I reciprocate, but your powers of political perception have diminished with time. I can’t speak for CID, but what you call “sketchy” on my part is a willingness to accept whatever small policy victories you can from the Trump regime, while fighting against the stupid stuff on trade, immigration, and so on. You prefer to sit upon a Yuppie Olympus with a nice girlfriend, lots of money, and pressed jeans, and throw spitballs with an air of superiority and condescension. That’s your choice.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Chizzang wrote: JSO is the only Republican on here that isn't actively
I THINK I appreciate that but I'm not a Republican. I'm a conservative who is registered as a Libertarian. Until the past couple of years I typically voted Republican in national elections based on the principle of voting for the most acceptable of the two candidates that have a chance to win.

But the Republicans are way off the rails right now. For the foreseeable future there is no WAY I'm voting Republican.

I’m deeply embarrassed to share a party registration with the likes of you. And you’re no conservative.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

and the Obama admin did seek to conceal its creation of a failed state behind a video

Krauthammer spoke about the corruption in the hearts and minds - just by virtue of the willingness to take a meeting to see if a Russian had dirt on Clinton - they were looking to collude - and I agree with him. They are just as sleazy as using a foreign cutout to conduct oppo research. And ironically, it was Trump's cheapskatedness that prevented it from being collusion in fact

Krauthammer also spoke of many other moral truths which would not sit so well with those who are pointing to his collusion narrative

Oh...and Happy Birthday!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

Thanks for the birthday wishes, which I reciprocate, but your powers of political perception have diminished with time. I can’t speak for CID, but what you call “sketchy” on my part is a willingness to accept whatever small policy victories you can from the Trump regime, while fighting against the stupid stuff on trade, immigration, and so on. You prefer to sit upon a Yuppie Olympus with a nice girlfriend, lots of money, and pressed jeans, and throw spitballs with an air of superiority and condescension. That’s your choice.
Oh...and Happy Birthday!
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ivytalk wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

I’m deeply embarrassed to share a party registration with the likes of you. And you’re no conservative.
Well, I've been registered as a LIbertarian for longer than I can remember. For sure more than 27 years. So I was probably here a long time before you were.

And if you are a Libertarian and you're not sounding the alarm about what's going on with Trump you probably need to re-assess your commitment to Libertarianism because he represents the risk of progress towards Authoritarian government.
Could I ever be a star?

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Oh...and Happy Birthday!
Was it CID’s birthday, too? :lol: