AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: All Things California

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:43 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:52 pm

Because that app would probably be controlled by a Chinese firm. :coffee: :coffee:
Not unless it was contractually obligated to be a US firm and routed only through the US. It's technology. It's 1s and 0s. You can easily make it auditable.
:lol: :lol: :lol: One would think.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:26 pm
Ibanez wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:43 am

Not unless it was contractually obligated to be a US firm and routed only through the US. It's technology. It's 1s and 0s. You can easily make it auditable.
We trust apps and cloud technology with our money, social security numbers, birthday, names, addresses, phone numbers, driver licenses, passport information and soooo much more. Why not with our 1 vote?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:39 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:26 pm

We trust apps and cloud technology with our money, social security numbers, birthday, names, addresses, phone numbers, driver licenses, passport information and soooo much more. Why not with our 1 vote?
Missed my point. I was laughing at the “easily auditable” part.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:07 pm
Ibanez wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:39 am

Missed my point. I was laughing at the “easily auditable” part.
:lol: :lol: My bad, buddy.

But that's a feature. :) We have the technology. We can do it.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Signed into law today. I predict brisk sales of existing equipment and further exacerbation of Cali's electrical woes.

On the flip side, I bet alot of no maintenance yards will be going in. Should help with their water shortages. :coffee:
The new law will require all such products to be “zero-emission” so they will only be allowed to be sold if they run off batteries or can be plugged in. As to the ambiguity of the date of enactment, a study is currently taking place to determine the impact this will have on small businesses. Newsom wants to see the rule in place by January 1, 2024, or “as soon as regulators determine is ‘feasible,’ whichever date is later.”
So how feasible is it? According to trade associations representing lawn care companies (the vast majority of which are small businesses), it’s not feasible at all. They note that battery-powered riding lawnmowers cost, on average, twice as much as the ones using internal combustion engines. Making matters worse, the battery models are only half as efficient. They don’t have anywhere near the same range before requiring recharging as you get out of a standard model with one tank of gas. And it takes a lot longer to recharge than it does to refill the fuel tank, so major equipment will be sidelined for far longer.
The bill includes $30 million to help small businesses make the adjustment, but those same industry representatives say that we’re talking about more than 50,000 businesses in the state. That works out to approximately $600 each. At a quick glance, you will find that a single, larger-model riding mower costs more than $2,000 for a conventional, gas-powered model. The electric versions cost twice as much. And most lawn care companies have to have more than one. This doesn’t even take into account all of the leaf blowers, lawn edgers, and hedge trimmers they use. Offering them $600 to make the transition is an insulting joke.
https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2021/10/11 ... ry-n421595

BTW: No commercial lawn care company is riding around in a $2k mower. At that price, it is a residential unit.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:54 pm Signed into law today. I predict brisk sales of existing equipment and further exacerbation of Cali's electrical woes.

On the flip side, I bet alot of no maintenance yards will be going in. Should help with their water shortages. :coffee:
The new law will require all such products to be “zero-emission” so they will only be allowed to be sold if they run off batteries or can be plugged in. As to the ambiguity of the date of enactment, a study is currently taking place to determine the impact this will have on small businesses. Newsom wants to see the rule in place by January 1, 2024, or “as soon as regulators determine is ‘feasible,’ whichever date is later.”
So how feasible is it? According to trade associations representing lawn care companies (the vast majority of which are small businesses), it’s not feasible at all. They note that battery-powered riding lawnmowers cost, on average, twice as much as the ones using internal combustion engines. Making matters worse, the battery models are only half as efficient. They don’t have anywhere near the same range before requiring recharging as you get out of a standard model with one tank of gas. And it takes a lot longer to recharge than it does to refill the fuel tank, so major equipment will be sidelined for far longer.
The bill includes $30 million to help small businesses make the adjustment, but those same industry representatives say that we’re talking about more than 50,000 businesses in the state. That works out to approximately $600 each. At a quick glance, you will find that a single, larger-model riding mower costs more than $2,000 for a conventional, gas-powered model. The electric versions cost twice as much. And most lawn care companies have to have more than one. This doesn’t even take into account all of the leaf blowers, lawn edgers, and hedge trimmers they use. Offering them $600 to make the transition is an insulting joke.

BTW: No commercial lawn care company is riding around in a $2k mower. At that price, it is a residential unit.
We've been well on our way to 3rd world status, laws like this certainly will quicken things up.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:30 pm
Winterborn wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:54 pm Signed into law today. I predict brisk sales of existing equipment and further exacerbation of Cali's electrical woes.

We've been well on our way to 3rd world status, laws like this certainly will quicken things up.
I have heard rumblings about cutting farmers water supplies and make it state owned. Granted it is only 2.6% total of their GDP (about 50 billion) but it would still be a hefty chunk to gut. Because that is what would happen if one revoked farmers water rights.

Only rumors at this point, and in all honestly I have heard them everytime California goes through a drought so it is probably all hot air, but then California has surprised me before.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:40 pm
SDHornet wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:30 pm

I have heard rumblings about cutting farmers water supplies and make it state owned. Granted it is only 2.6% total of their GDP (about 50 billion) but it would still be a hefty chunk to gut. Because that is what would happen if one revoked farmers water rights.

Only rumors at this point, and in all honestly I have heard them everytime California goes through a drought so it is probably all hot air, but then California has surprised me before.
As far as I know, farmers can pump as much groundwater as they want. I imagine politicians are trying to regulate that, but the farmers have plenty of money to throw at lobbyists here so should be an interesting fight to watch.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Yep.
For example, a gas-powered commercial riding lawn mower costs $7,000 to $11,000, but its zero-emission equivalent costs more than twice that amount, he said.

Another major expense will be batteries. Bray said a three-person landscaping crew will need to carry 30 to 40 fully charged batteries to power its equipment during a full day’s work.

“These companies are going to have to completely retrofit their entire workshops to be able to handle this massive change in voltage so they’re going to be charged every day,” Bray said.
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ?_amp=true

Going to be an awful lot of gas powered equipment sold in Nevada in a few years.. :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:42 pm

Yep.
For example, a gas-powered commercial riding lawn mower costs $7,000 to $11,000, but its zero-emission equivalent costs more than twice that amount, he said.

Another major expense will be batteries. Bray said a three-person landscaping crew will need to carry 30 to 40 fully charged batteries to power its equipment during a full day’s work.

“These companies are going to have to completely retrofit their entire workshops to be able to handle this massive change in voltage so they’re going to be charged every day,” Bray said.

Going to be an awful lot of gas powered equipment sold in Nevada in a few years.. :lol:
Yeah, none of these small mom and pop landscaping outfits will comply, especially the ones that employ illegal labor. I'd like to see how exactly this gets enforced, and by who.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:49 am
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:42 pm Yep.

Yeah, none of these small mom and pop landscaping outfits will comply, especially the ones that employ illegal labor. I'd like to see how exactly this gets enforced, and by who.
Yeah, are they going to say to people moving to CA in a few years that they can’t bring their gas powered lawn mover, trimmers, blowers, generators, etc with them?

Then again, who in their right mind who isn’t a raging lib would move to CA?
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... af-blowers

This is pure feel-good environmentalism that will be loved by Whole Foods liberals who have probably done no yard work in their life.

And what's worse these idiots will shut down Diablo Canyon so people will be running these devices on coal power.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Pwns wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:50 pm https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... af-blowers

This is pure feel-good environmentalism that will be loved by Whole Foods liberals who have probably done no yard work in their life.

And what's worse these idiots will shut down Diablo Canyon so people will be running these devices on coal power.
Yep, we’ve been talking about this for the last week.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Can’t call them looters. That would be racist.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/experts-b ... nia-thefts
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Leaders of the legal marijuana industry in California have told the Governor the industry is about to collapse…
The letter signed by more than two dozen executives, industry officials and legalization advocates followed years of complaints that the heavily taxed and regulated industry was unable to compete with the widespread illegal economy, where consumer prices are far lower and sales are double or triple the legal business.

Four years after broad legal sales began, “our industry is collapsing,” said the letter, which also was sent to legislative leaders in Sacramento.
https://news.yahoo.com/california-pot-c ... 04687.html

Imagine that…and untaxed and unregulated, freely operating underground industry is doing better than a highly taxed, highly regulated industry…

:coffee:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Col Hogan wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:46 pm Leaders of the legal marijuana industry in California have told the Governor the industry is about to collapse…
The letter signed by more than two dozen executives, industry officials and legalization advocates followed years of complaints that the heavily taxed and regulated industry was unable to compete with the widespread illegal economy, where consumer prices are far lower and sales are double or triple the legal business.

Four years after broad legal sales began, “our industry is collapsing,” said the letter, which also was sent to legislative leaders in Sacramento.
https://news.yahoo.com/california-pot-c ... 04687.html

Imagine that…and untaxed and unregulated, freely operating underground industry is doing better than a highly taxed, highly regulated industry…

:coffee:
Shocker.

"Murder Mountain" Netflix series touches on this a bit (premise of the series is a lot of missing people in Humboldt County). Basically illegal growers back in the day had to make a decision on whether to be legit or not. Lots of the small timers took out loans to pay all the fees and stuff to be legit...

...well big growing operations came in and made the small grower less competitive plus the folks who stayed illegal anyways. Based on the interviews (and common sense of a gubmint touching something and turning it to shit) it seemed like this was always doomed to fail.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Apparently nobody in California legislature does a cost/benefit analysis on bills before they are introduced.
At least, that was the deal. Enter the California Public Utilities Commission which has apparently decided it’s time to alter the deal. This new plan called Net Metering 3.0 hasn’t been passed yet but is expected to be voted on next month. If it does pass, the state will start charging new solar installations a fee based on the size of their system. The fee is $8 per month for every kW of generating equipment you have installed on the roof. So if you have an 8kW system, you’ll owe SCE an additional $64 per month or over $700 per year. You don’t get anything for that money, it’s basically just a tax on everyone who installs solar equipment.

Summing all of this up, anyone looking at installing solar has to add that new costs into the calculation about when they could break even on an install. And in my case it would have moved my break even point from around 10 years to more like 18-20 years. If you assume the system lasts 25 years, there’s still some meager advantage overall but it hardly seems worth it.
https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2021/12/18/ ... ry-n436450

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Winterborn wrote:Apparently nobody in California legislature does a cost/benefit analysis on bills before they are introduced.
At least, that was the deal. Enter the California Public Utilities Commission which has apparently decided it’s time to alter the deal. This new plan called Net Metering 3.0 hasn’t been passed yet but is expected to be voted on next month. If it does pass, the state will start charging new solar installations a fee based on the size of their system. The fee is $8 per month for every kW of generating equipment you have installed on the roof. So if you have an 8kW system, you’ll owe SCE an additional $64 per month or over $700 per year. You don’t get anything for that money, it’s basically just a tax on everyone who installs solar equipment.

Summing all of this up, anyone looking at installing solar has to add that new costs into the calculation about when they could break even on an install. And in my case it would have moved my break even point from around 10 years to more like 18-20 years. If you assume the system lasts 25 years, there’s still some meager advantage overall but it hardly seems worth it.
California has been providing a blueprint of the consequences of an actualized progressive wishlist for literally years

and nobody listens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:06 am Apparently nobody in California legislature does a cost/benefit analysis on bills before they are introduced.

Reality is setting in. The utility is the "storage" for the excess kWh these people are producing. They expect to freeload and not pay anything but still want power at night or other times when the sun isn't shining. Utility companies can't keep doing it forever or they won't have the revenue to maintain their system.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

HI54UNI wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:42 pm
Winterborn wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:06 am Apparently nobody in California legislature does a cost/benefit analysis on bills before they are introduced.

Reality is setting in. The utility is the "storage" for the excess kWh these people are producing. They expect to freeload and not pay anything but still want power at night or other times when the sun isn't shining. Utility companies can't keep doing it forever or they won't have the revenue to maintain their system.
So they DO get something for it. Just something they were getting for free before. Boy if that ain’t the liberal way. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

HI54UNI wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:42 pm

My above statement is a bit tongue in cheek as I know it is complicated and storage has been (and will continue to be) the major issue plaguing "renewable" energy sources (agreeing with your statement). What I find funny is that California would not be in this situation if they had a better electrical grid infrastructure and power generation capabilities. There are also ways of promoting solar without taking away all the incentive of installing it in the first place. Especially in a place that is so suited to solar and has grid problems to start with.

A good way to do that is let the solar panel subsidies subside and push battery storage systems with some type of incentive. That way one is not penalizing putting in solar but leaving that portion up to the market, while promoting what they really need, which is storage.

Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

A very interesting and telling thread. Well worth the read. Some of the comments are just as interesting and telling.

Progressivism is a cancer. :nod: