UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: All Things California

Post by UNI88 »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:44 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:24 pm
So you have issues with people's votes being counted. In an election. In a democracy.

Got it.

What an embarrassing beatdown right now, and what a waste of time and money for your state.
Exactly. So called fiscal conservatives (which there are none) wasted $300 million

The people spoke loud and clear: Don't Trump/DeathSantis/Abbott the 5th largest economy in the world
The 5th largest economy in the world is already being Newsomed, we'll see how that looks in 2022 and beyond. I am curious who the pseudo-progressives will blame it on because like Trump they are incapable of taking responsibility for their own failures.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Newsom cheated royally, and we let him get away with it. SMH....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:44 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:18 am How are people harvesting votes manipulating it? They're going out and finding voters. That's how a good democracy works.

It doesn't matter how the votes are actually gathered...a vote is a vote. We should harvest even more votes, not less. Conservative states should do it too. You don't want to count voters?

Voter suppression is the opposite. It makes it harder to be part of our democracy.
How do I know that they're:
  • Turning in all of the ballots that they collect?
  • Not influencing how people fill out their ballots?
  • Not filling out blank ballots and turning them in with their other ballots?
Why should I trust them? Harvesting is rife with opportunities for malfeasance and it isn't regulated well enough for me to blindly accept it. A Harvester should be vetted and held to the same or higher standards as a polling place (i.e. no electioneering).
Indeed. Ballot harvesting is something that has to be eliminated wherever it's practiced, precisely for the reasons you list above. We proved in 2020 during COVID that there are plenty of means to have people take their own ballot and submit it, so why would we opt to use a process where someone else has ownership of someone else's ballot prior to it being handed in? I still haven't heard a reason why harvesting should be legal that makes any sense.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:42 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:34 am

I've had expensive meals before...but I don't think I could shell out $350 per person for dinner. Even if I had the money....
What Newsom did is definitely wrong and a mismanagement of taxpayer funds. That said, I had a $400+ dinner last year. While skeptical beforehand, I think it's one of those things that - if you have the means - is worth doing at least once in life. It's hard to describe, but the food and experience really was on another level.

The Inn at Little Washington was the restaurant.

Don't do it on the taxpayer's dime though.
Not every pricey place is worth the price, but yes, if you do go to the places with the chefs who are worth that money then it is fabulous. I don't think I've ever done a $400 per person meal (that does sound a bit excessive), but I've done a $250 per person meal (that included the wine pairing option) and it was fantastic.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:11 am Newsom cheated royally, and we let him get away with it. SMH....
Deep blue state votes blue.

Conks:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Typical East Coast monolithic view of Cali, Trip. It's quite a bit more complicated than that. The Central Valley is largely Conservative Republican, and Bezerkeley is mostly Green/Libertarian. Big population Los Angeles and the Bay Area tend to outvote us.

That said, there were a LOT of shady things done by the Newsom Administration during this entire process. First is the scheduling: the Democrats completely rewrote the scheduling rules they themselves had written following the Davis recall in order to prevent a loss from happening. They knew full well that by the time November rolled around, more and more people would have been fed up with Newsom's hypocrisy and incompetence regarding the pandemic and wildfires, not to mention his removal of benefits from citizens in order to fund illegals. His own wife tried to shut up an actress supporting Elder. (Yes, they deny that, but one would expect them to do so.) He whined about this being funded by national-level Republicans, but hasn't produced one shred of evidence to support that; rather, this was largely a ground-level effort by Republicans here in Cali, while he himself enlisted his corrupt big-powered buddies Biden and Harris, not to mention Obama himself. He was NOT restricted by funding limits, and had huge amounts coming in from big buck donors, while the GOP guys had very strict funding limits.

Hypocrisy knows no bounds when it comes to Cali Democrats....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Apparently, there were also a ton of people going to the polls yesterday who were disenfranchised because they had somehow "already voted." That's one of the problems with mailing EVERYONE a mail-in ballot. That wasn't MY experience, but I've heard multiple instances of it happening. Anything to guarantee the win, I guess....

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:03 am Typical East Coast monolithic view of Cali, Trip. It's quite a bit more complicated than that. The Central Valley is largely Conservative Republican, and Bezerkeley is mostly Green/Libertarian. Big population Los Angeles and the Bay Area tend to outvote us.
Of course it's not monolithic and of course they outvote you. What does it matter though? A vote in LA is equal to wherever you are.

You're going to argue California isn't currently a blue gem? I guess if land voted...
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:09 am Apparently, there were also a ton of people going to the polls yesterday who were disenfranchised because they had somehow "already voted." That's one of the problems with mailing EVERYONE a mail-in ballot. That wasn't MY experience, but I've heard multiple instances of it happening. Anything to guarantee the win, I guess....
If you show up in person to vote then your in-person ballot should supersede the "harvested" ballot.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:15 am
What Newsom did is definitely wrong and a mismanagement of taxpayer funds. That said, I had a $400+ dinner last year. While skeptical beforehand, I think it's one of those things that - if you have the means - is worth doing at least once in life. It's hard to describe, but the food and experience really was on another level.

Not every pricey place is worth the price, but yes, if you do go to the places with the chefs who are worth that money then it is fabulous. I don't think I've ever done a $400 per person meal (that does sound a bit excessive), but I've done a $250 per person meal (that included the wine pairing option) and it was fantastic.
Exactly. I've done $200/per person and it was a total waste of money. I've done $175/per person and it was worth every penny.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:11 am Newsom cheated royally, and we let him get away with it. SMH....
I saw Newsome won Orange county 53 - 47%
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:34 am

I've had expensive meals before...but I don't think I could shell out $350 per person for dinner. Even if I had the money....

That is certainly one of the best restaurants in the region. I can't remember how much I paid for dinner there some 20 years ago. It was good, but you can rarely justify the value for luxury items or experiences. Especially when it comes to food and drink. It's just so temporary.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:18 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:15 am

Exactly. I've done $200/per person and it was a total waste of money. I've done $175/per person and it was worth every penny.
Agreed. I'm sure we've all had some pretty shitty food for way too much money. Heck I'd say the best food is usually the cheaper stuff, but I'm not strictly opposed to expensive experiences if I can be convinced it'll be a good memory.

In my specific case, I figured there was very little risk a 3*** Michelin was going to be a bad experience for the cost.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:13 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:44 am

How do I know that they're:
  • Turning in all of the ballots that they collect?
  • Not influencing how people fill out their ballots?
  • Not filling out blank ballots and turning them in with their other ballots?
Why should I trust them? Harvesting is rife with opportunities for malfeasance and it isn't regulated well enough for me to blindly accept it. A Harvester should be vetted and held to the same or higher standards as a polling place (i.e. no electioneering).
Indeed. Ballot harvesting is something that has to be eliminated wherever it's practiced, precisely for the reasons you list above. We proved in 2020 during COVID that there are plenty of means to have people take their own ballot and submit it, so why would we opt to use a process where someone else has ownership of someone else's ballot prior to it being handed in? I still haven't heard a reason why harvesting should be legal that makes any sense.
Which is why a laughed at Trip lecturing us on what a good democracy looks like. Trip, you never cease to amaze me.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:30 am

Conks:
Larry Elder could make red states vote blue. What a third-rate ass :coffee: clown
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Nah. UNI is fear mongering.

Unless there's actual evidence votes are being forged, coerced, or fraudulently filled out en masse, y'all are just complaining about more people voting in an election because you don't like the outcome or are afraid of it. For a party which claims to love democracy, the GOP always seems to have a problem with increasing voter enfranchisement.

Voting should be as easy as possible.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

houndawg wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:13 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:30 am

Conks:
Larry Elder could make red states vote blue. What a third-rate ass :coffee: clown
This is the Republican party now. Trump on top and people like McCarthy, Boebert, Greene, Hawthorne, Cruz, Elder, and so many more sucking him off for maximum adulation.

No dissent or you're out. Trump above America.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:54 pm Most media outlets have called it. Newsom "survives," although the entire thing was a waste of resources.
Mmmm.....much like the continuous impeachment proceedings (at the expense of accomplishing literally ANYTHING else) by your hero Pelosi from 2016-2020?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:25 am
I saw Newsome won Orange county 53 - 47%
Looks like the vote will finish about 2 to 1 against. :coffee:

Republicans always think there are more of them than there really are.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:17 pm Nah. UNI is fear mongering.

Unless there's actual evidence votes are being forged, coerced, or fraudulently filled out en masse, y'all are just complaining about more people voting in an election because you don't like the outcome or are afraid of it. For a party which claims to love democracy, the GOP always seems to have a problem with increasing voter enfranchisement.

That isn't the problem with ballot harvesting.

Personally - I see no reason why we aren't voting via smart phone app. I'd take that over ballot harvesting.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:03 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:17 pm Nah. UNI is fear mongering.

Personally - I see no reason why we aren't voting via smart phone app. I'd take that over ballot harvesting.
I would as well. I doubt we ever will, the paranoia over electronic security will make that option never possible, but it would be a fantastic option.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I'd love that option too, and a week long voting timeline.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:06 pm
Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:03 pm

I would as well. I doubt we ever will, the paranoia over electronic security will make that option never possible, but it would be a fantastic option.
That "paranoia" is BS, IMO. We do our banking and our taxes online. Aside from the rare event...and they are rare...the security postures surrounding those two industries is remarkable. We put our credit card information into so many apps. In my former role of Cyber Sec vulnerability and risk management, there's certainly a way to do it. And, not to brag, my experience comes from working with one of the best InfoSec teams in the financial industry. If we can safeguard billions of dollars and countless PII then we can safely create an app that scans your voter ID card and lets you vote. Heck, we already have millions of people voting for America's Got Talent via smart phone. :lol:

It's all in how you build and manage it. It can be done. :twocents:

The talent exists.

https://www.scmagazine.com/news/-/the-w ... in-the-u-s :mrgreen: Fire Eye, Crowdstrike, Proofpoint, HP, etc... what's to stop the government from convening the top company's and creating a force to undertake this task? Use data security of one country with the threat intelligence and analytics of another. It'd be expensive as hell but everyone has a smart phone and those that don't or don't want to use the app can still go to their polling place.

And shameless brag, i'm one of the 2000 people that work in GIS. :mrgreen:
Professional Award
Best Security Team

Winner
Bank of America for its Global Information Security team

Always innovating, the Global Information Security (GIS) team at Bank of America is striving to set the gold standard in cybersecurity.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:46 am
dbackjon wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:44 am

Exactly. So called fiscal conservatives (which there are none) wasted $300 million

The people spoke loud and clear: Don't Trump/DeathSantis/Abbott the 5th largest economy in the world
The 5th largest economy in the world is already being Newsomed, we'll see how that looks in 2022 and beyond. I am curious who the pseudo-progressives will blame it on because like Trump they are incapable of taking responsibility for their own failures.
Please give data to support your assertation that the California Economy is faltering
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Please show REAL proof that Newsom cheated.

Otherwise, you are just as full of shit as the fucking morons that claim Trump actually won.
:thumb: