Political discussions
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: All Things California

Post by dbackjon »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:03 am Typical East Coast monolithic view of Cali, Trip. It's quite a bit more complicated than that. The Central Valley is largely Conservative Republican, and Bezerkeley is mostly Green/Libertarian. Big population Los Angeles and the Bay Area tend to outvote us.

That said, there were a LOT of shady things done by the Newsom Administration during this entire process. First is the scheduling: the Democrats completely rewrote the scheduling rules they themselves had written following the Davis recall in order to prevent a loss from happening. They knew full well that by the time November rolled around, more and more people would have been fed up with Newsom's hypocrisy and incompetence regarding the pandemic and wildfires, not to mention his removal of benefits from citizens in order to fund illegals. His own wife tried to shut up an actress supporting Elder. (Yes, they deny that, but one would expect them to do so.) He whined about this being funded by national-level Republicans, but hasn't produced one shred of evidence to support that; rather, this was largely a ground-level effort by Republicans here in Cali, while he himself enlisted his corrupt big-powered buddies Biden and Harris, not to mention Obama himself. He was NOT restricted by funding limits, and had huge amounts coming in from big buck donors, while the GOP guys had very strict funding limits.

Hypocrisy knows no bounds when it comes to Cali Democrats....
Yet, most of the people live in the blue areas. Acreage doesn't vote. People do.

The GOP did the shady things - for one, they got a judge to extend the deadline to collect ballots by 4 months. Then they got another extension to get the signatures.

The recall effort was funded almost entirely by out of state Republicans.

Please show where the GOP guys had different funding limits than Newsom
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:09 am Apparently, there were also a ton of people going to the polls yesterday who were disenfranchised because they had somehow "already voted." That's one of the problems with mailing EVERYONE a mail-in ballot. That wasn't MY experience, but I've heard multiple instances of it happening. Anything to guarantee the win, I guess....
Again, show proof.

Not just my cousins fiance. And most of the ones I have heard were because of a coordinated effort to create fraud by instructing the GOP nutcase voters to mail in their ballots AND show up to try to vote.

If anyone was LEGIT disenfranchised, investigate. But if they were given a provisional ballot, they will have a chance to show that the ballot the county has on record wasn't for them (Narrator: It was from them)
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:57 am
SuperHornet wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:09 am Apparently, there were also a ton of people going to the polls yesterday who were disenfranchised because they had somehow "already voted." That's one of the problems with mailing EVERYONE a mail-in ballot. That wasn't MY experience, but I've heard multiple instances of it happening. Anything to guarantee the win, I guess....
If you show up in person to vote then your in-person ballot should supersede the "harvested" ballot.
That's not how it works. Anywhere. Not in Red State Arizona. The mail-in ballot which only counts if YOU signed it and it matches your voter registration will always take priority.

You can get a provisional ballot if you think you didn't mail in the ballot.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:32 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:54 pm Most media outlets have called it. Newsom "survives," although the entire thing was a waste of resources.
Mmmm.....much like the continuous impeachment proceedings (at the expense of accomplishing literally ANYTHING else) by your hero Pelosi from 2016-2020?
The ones that if the GOP was actually pro-American would have impeached Traitor Trump?

yeah, you have no room to talk.

Remember 50 Benghazi hearings? 200 attempts to repeal the Affordable Care Act>?
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Jon: I've seen people on Facebook claim they were denied a ballot at the polling place because the "system" showed that they'd already voted, when the had not. I have no idea if party affiliation had any role in that, but it COULD have.

That said, one of my friends on FB just said it perfectly: the Left claiming a "victory" through this given the cheating and the overpowering strength of Liberal strongholds is like beating the NY Jets....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:17 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:06 pm

I would as well. I doubt we ever will, the paranoia over electronic security will make that option never possible, but it would be a fantastic option.
That "paranoia" is BS, IMO. We do our banking and our taxes online. Aside from the rare event...and they are rare...the security postures surrounding those two industries is remarkable. We put our credit card information into so many apps. In my former role of Cyber Sec vulnerability and risk management, there's certainly a way to do it. And, not to brag, my experience comes from working with one of the best InfoSec teams in the financial industry. If we can safeguard billions of dollars and countless PII then we can safely create an app that scans your voter ID card and lets you vote. Heck, we already have millions of people voting for America's Got Talent via smart phone. :lol:

It's all in how you build and manage it. It can be done. :twocents:

The talent exists.

https://www.scmagazine.com/news/-/the-w ... in-the-u-s :mrgreen: Fire Eye, Crowdstrike, Proofpoint, HP, etc... what's to stop the government from convening the top company's and creating a force to undertake this task? Use data security of one country with the threat intelligence and analytics of another. It'd be expensive as hell but everyone has a smart phone and those that don't or don't want to use the app can still go to their polling place.

And shameless brag, i'm one of the 2000 people that work in GIS. :mrgreen:
Professional Award
Best Security Team

Winner
Bank of America for its Global Information Security team

Always innovating, the Global Information Security (GIS) team at Bank of America is striving to set the gold standard in cybersecurity.
No doubt the paranoia is BS, but you can't help but trip over people here in the US that would believe that paranoia.

As for me, like I said, I would love the smart phone app to vote. I never really did banking on my phone before COVID, but since I loathe the banking drive through window I started using the phone for banking - love the ability to deposit checks now via the phone.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:39 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:25 am

I saw Newsome won Orange county 53 - 47%
Looks like the vote will finish about 2 to 1 against. :coffee:

Republicans always think there are more of them than there really are.
Orange county should have gone for the recall. Fairly Republican leaning.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:35 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:32 pm

Mmmm.....much like the continuous impeachment proceedings (at the expense of accomplishing literally ANYTHING else) by your hero Pelosi from 2016-2020?
The ones that if the GOP was actually pro-American would have impeached Traitor Trump?

yeah, you have no room to talk.

Remember 50 Benghazi hearings? 200 attempts to repeal the Affordable Care Act>?
how far back do you want to take this? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:17 pm Nah. UNI is fear mongering.

Unless there's actual evidence votes are being forged, coerced, or fraudulently filled out en masse, y'all are just complaining about more people voting in an election because you don't like the outcome or are afraid of it. For a party which claims to love democracy, the GOP always seems to have a problem with increasing voter enfranchisement.

Voting should be as easy as legitimately possible for citizens.
FYP

The same could be said for voter suppression - give me concrete examples not some hyperbole and stop whining about one state that changed its rules when other states that you're not complaining about have more stringent rules. Otherwise, pseudo-progressives are just fear-mongering.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

That "paranoia" is BS, IMO. We do our banking and our taxes online. Aside from the rare event...and they are rare...the security postures surrounding those two industries is remarkable. We put our credit card information into so many apps. In my former role of Cyber Sec vulnerability and risk management, there's certainly a way to do it. And, not to brag, my experience comes from working with one of the best InfoSec teams in the financial industry. If we can safeguard billions of dollars and countless PII then we can safely create an app that scans your voter ID card and lets you vote. Heck, we already have millions of people voting for America's Got Talent via smart phone. :lol:

The talent exists.

https://www.scmagazine.com/news/-/the-w ... in-the-u-s :mrgreen: Fire Eye, Crowdstrike, Proofpoint, HP, etc... what's to stop the government from convening the top company's and creating a force to undertake this task? Use data security of one country with the threat intelligence and analytics of another. It'd be expensive as hell but everyone has a smart phone and those that don't or don't want to use the app can still go to their polling place.

Mark, would you still put your CC info out there online in so many applications if you didn't have ZERO liability in the event of fraud? :coffee: :coffee:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:03 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:17 pm Nah. UNI is fear mongering.

Unless there's actual evidence votes are being forged, coerced, or fraudulently filled out en masse, y'all are just complaining about more people voting in an election because you don't like the outcome or are afraid of it. For a party which claims to love democracy, the GOP always seems to have a problem with increasing voter enfranchisement.

Voting should be as easy as possible.
That isn't the problem with ballot harvesting.

Personally - I see no reason why we aren't voting via smart phone app. I'd take that over ballot harvesting.
Because that app would probably be controlled by a Chinese firm. :coffee: :coffee:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:42 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:34 am

I've had expensive meals before...but I don't think I could shell out $350 per person for dinner. Even if I had the money....
What Newsom did is definitely wrong and a mismanagement of taxpayer funds. That said, I had a $400+ dinner last year. While skeptical beforehand, I think it's one of those things that - if you have the means - is worth doing at least once in life. It's hard to describe, but the food and experience really was on another level.

The Inn at Little Washington was the restaurant.

Don't do it on the taxpayer's dime though.
Apparently you don't know (of course you don't) that the state unemployment office got scammed for $31 billion (yes billion) under Newsom's watch. I laugh at people claiming this $275M recall is some great financial loss to the cause.

But yes, continue being a useful idiot to the establishment by parroting useless drivel while knowing nothing about the decreasing quality of life here in CA under progressive "leadership".
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- As much as $31 billion in California unemployment funds have been paid out to scammers, California EDD admits.

ABC7 News' 7 On Your Side has been tracking the numerous fraudulent claims that have been plaguing the EDD and on Monday afternoon, it confirmed that even more money than previously reported has been paid out to scammers.
https://abc7news.com/california-edd-une ... /10011810/
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:43 am
SDHornet wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:21 pm

The establishment has weeks to harvest the ballots needed to stave off the recall. 22M ballots were mailed, 7M have been returned. We've seen how the mail in ballot scheme works last November.
LMAO

Face it, the GOP and the especially the Trump wing and CRAZY Larry Elder are so far out of step with REAL Americans that it was a cakewalk.

Only a complete and utter fool thinks there was voter fraud. Of course, the same morons think the election was stolen from Trump, so there's that.
Actually it has more to do with the 2:1 D:R ratio on the voter rolls in CA, but thanks for playing. :coffee:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:44 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:24 pm

So you have issues with people's votes being counted. In an election. In a democracy.

Got it.

What an embarrassing beatdown right now, and what a waste of time and money for your state.
Exactly. So called fiscal conservatives (which there are none) wasted $300 million

The people spoke loud and clear: Don't Trump/DeathSantis/Abbott the 5th largest economy in the world
See post above about the laughable narrative of the $300M recall costs. :coffee:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:13 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:44 am

How do I know that they're:
  • Turning in all of the ballots that they collect?
  • Not influencing how people fill out their ballots?
  • Not filling out blank ballots and turning them in with their other ballots?
Why should I trust them? Harvesting is rife with opportunities for malfeasance and it isn't regulated well enough for me to blindly accept it. A Harvester should be vetted and held to the same or higher standards as a polling place (i.e. no electioneering).
Indeed. Ballot harvesting is something that has to be eliminated wherever it's practiced, precisely for the reasons you list above. We proved in 2020 during COVID that there are plenty of means to have people take their own ballot and submit it, so why would we opt to use a process where someone else has ownership of someone else's ballot prior to it being handed in? I still haven't heard a reason why harvesting should be legal that makes any sense.
Spot of for both posts above.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:57 am
If you show up in person to vote then your in-person ballot should supersede the "harvested" ballot.
It goes to provisional ballot, takes about a month to get resolved, and even then it depends on which signature looks "more correct".
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:29 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:03 am Typical East Coast monolithic view of Cali, Trip. It's quite a bit more complicated than that. The Central Valley is largely Conservative Republican, and Bezerkeley is mostly Green/Libertarian. Big population Los Angeles and the Bay Area tend to outvote us.

That said, there were a LOT of shady things done by the Newsom Administration during this entire process. First is the scheduling: the Democrats completely rewrote the scheduling rules they themselves had written following the Davis recall in order to prevent a loss from happening. They knew full well that by the time November rolled around, more and more people would have been fed up with Newsom's hypocrisy and incompetence regarding the pandemic and wildfires, not to mention his removal of benefits from citizens in order to fund illegals. His own wife tried to shut up an actress supporting Elder. (Yes, they deny that, but one would expect them to do so.) He whined about this being funded by national-level Republicans, but hasn't produced one shred of evidence to support that; rather, this was largely a ground-level effort by Republicans here in Cali, while he himself enlisted his corrupt big-powered buddies Biden and Harris, not to mention Obama himself. He was NOT restricted by funding limits, and had huge amounts coming in from big buck donors, while the GOP guys had very strict funding limits.

Hypocrisy knows no bounds when it comes to Cali Democrats....
Yet, most of the people live in the blue areas. Acreage doesn't vote. People do.

The GOP did the shady things - for one, they got a judge to extend the deadline to collect ballots by 4 months. Then they got another extension to get the signatures.

The recall effort was funded almost entirely by out of state Republicans.

Please show where the GOP guys had different funding limits than Newsom
My understanding is that every time the recall signature efforts were challenged in court, the court ruled that everything was on the up and up and the recall effort was allowed to proceed. A CA judge would not have hesitated to throw it out if it was "shady".

But I mean you live in CA and would know more than me on this. :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:31 pm
Again, show proof.

Not just my cousins fiance. And most of the ones I have heard were because of a coordinated effort to create fraud by instructing the GOP nutcase voters to mail in their ballots AND show up to try to vote.

If anyone was LEGIT disenfranchised, investigate. But if they were given a provisional ballot, they will have a chance to show that the ballot the county has on record wasn't for them (Narrator: It was from them)
Things happened. I don't think this was widespread and probably just normal shit that breaks on election day. But yes, people went to vote and were told that they already voted.
Some San Fernando Valley voters think they are being wrongly prevented from casting a ballot in the upcoming gubernatorial recall election, but the county elections office said it was an equipment issue that was resolved.

At El Camino Real Charter High School in Woodland Hills, some voters say they were told the computers showed them as already having voted, even though they had not.
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/san-fe ... l-ballots/
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:36 pm Jon: I've seen people on Facebook claim they were denied a ballot at the polling place because the "system" showed that they'd already voted, when the had not. I have no idea if party affiliation had any role in that, but it COULD have.

That said, one of my friends on FB just said it perfectly: the Left claiming a "victory" through this given the cheating and the overpowering strength of Liberal strongholds is like beating the NY Jets....
So anon Facebook posts with no actual proof. Got it.

Just a few weeks ago, the Right was crowing about winning the recall.

And you claim to be a Christian - why are you bearing false witness about cheating?

Heck, even Larry Elder is now saying the election was legit.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:47 pm
houndawg wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:39 pm

Looks like the vote will finish about 2 to 1 against. :coffee:

Republicans always think there are more of them than there really are.
Orange county should have gone for the recall. Fairly Republican leaning.
it didn't. It voted for Newsom in the regular election and in the recall.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:39 pm

The talent exists.

No doubt the paranoia is BS, but you can't help but trip over people here in the US that would believe that paranoia.

As for me, like I said, I would love the smart phone app to vote. I never really did banking on my phone before COVID, but since I loathe the banking drive through window I started using the phone for banking - love the ability to deposit checks now via the phone.
WOW. You've held out for so long. :lol: Mobile Banking has so much security, regulation, rigor, etc... around it and imposed on the mobile carriers.

I did a voice to text project years ago and we went to Apple, Google and Blackberry to learn how they safeguard information. All 3 are good, but Google, by far, was the most impressive. All data transmitted is encrypted, broken out and stored in different locations. Say you sent someone the following text, " Ibanez loves chicken wings," and then a Google data center is breached (which in itself is no easy feat), if any data was stolen and decrypted, the thieves will have something like, " I..a..as.ch..ns." or something that can't be deciphered. The same protocols exist for all data going across the network. It's really cool. From a physical security standpoint, Apple is the best. They rotate security guards around so much that you never know when and for how long you'll be at a data center. Even then...one person can't really do much. :lol:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:50 pm

The talent exists.

Mark, would you still put your CC info out there online in so many applications if you didn't have ZERO liability in the event of fraud? :coffee: :coffee:
Thankfully that's a hypothetical I don't have to really worry about.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:52 pm
Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:03 pm
That isn't the problem with ballot harvesting.

Personally - I see no reason why we aren't voting via smart phone app. I'd take that over ballot harvesting.
Because that app would probably be controlled by a Chinese firm. :coffee: :coffee:
Not unless it was contractually obligated to be a US firm and routed only through the US. It's technology. It's 1s and 0s. You can easily make it auditable.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:44 pm
That tent at the 0:14 second mark looks better than mine!
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein