Political memes, Posters, Funny Pics, Etc.

Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Political memes, Posters, Funny Pics, Etc.

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:52 pm Image
The other part of the problem is why would any reasonable person go work for less. Like it or not, people who work in retail and hospitality (the two biggest industries, IIRC, facing the shortages) don't receive a livable wage. You may say serving Whoppers isn't a career but for many it is. If those people can get more by doing less, than that's just human nature. The industries are going to have to change how they pay / recruit / hire people to obtain a workforce.

Same goes with construction, landscape, tree trimmer, etc … My neighbor owns the family lawn care and tree trimming business built by his great grandfather in the 40s. He's admitted that he could pay better and that's partly to blame for him not having enough employees. He also realizes that if he increases an expense...he's going to have to raise prices. That's the nature of business. :twocents:

It's harsh to cut these people off from the extra unemployment, so many of them really struggle through no fault of their own. But at the same time - it's government ASSISTANCE but it's been transformed into government RELIANCE. If you don't want to work, fine but you aren't getting a red cent from us.

To continue receiving unemployment, don't you have to prove that you're looking for work? I'm not familiar with the system but are there any safeguards to help curb abuse of it?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:29 pm Image
Haha. I see the post after I made mine. That's roughly an extra $7.50/hr. Could be tight for a mom and pop. Should be easy for a billion dollar corporation. Mickey d's could lower it's fees to help offset the costs, maybe their execs make a little less. There's an equitable solution somewhere.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:14 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:29 pm Image
Haha. I see the post after I made mine. That's roughly an extra $7.50/hr. Could be tight for a mom and pop. Should be easy for a billion dollar corporation. Mickey d's could lower it's fees to help offset the costs, maybe their execs make a little less. There's an equitable solution somewhere.
It’s selfish for an able bodied person to rely on P.A. Long term. It’s selfish for a culture that expects quality service (even from ditch diggers) but is unwilling to provide a living wage for it.

Regardless, we need higher wages to sustain a service oriented society. Those ditch diggers buy iPhones too.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Speaking of losers, was he looking in the mirror?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:17 am

It’s selfish for an able bodied person to rely on P.A. Long term. It’s selfish for a culture that expects quality service (even from ditch diggers) but is unwilling to provide a living wage for it.

Regardless, we need higher wages to sustain a service oriented society. Those ditch diggers buy iPhones too.
I thought we were talking about fast food joints. Do ditch diggers not make a living wage in this country? Considering the amount of money we spend on road repair and other infrastructure work and the comparative small crews on those jobs, if those guys aren't getting a living wage then someone's pilfering a lot of money.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:27 am

I thought we were talking about fast food joints. Do ditch diggers not make a living wage in this country? Considering the amount of money we spend on road repair and other infrastructure work and the comparative small crews on those jobs, if those guys aren't getting a living wage then someone's pilfering a lot of money.
Thanks, BDK... :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

But do they NEED them? :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:10 am
The other part of the problem is why would any reasonable person go work for less. Like it or not, people who work in retail and hospitality (the two biggest industries, IIRC, facing the shortages) don't receive a livable wage. You may say serving Whoppers isn't a career but for many it is. If those people can get more by doing less, than that's just human nature. The industries are going to have to change how they pay / recruit / hire people to obtain a workforce.
Or...or....or.....here's a novel thought: the government can stop spending OUR tax dollars to incent people to NOT work.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:33 am

But do they NEED them? :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
No but Apple, various apps, comm tech companies, and their investors need them to. 8-)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:10 am

Same goes with construction, landscape, tree trimmer, etc … My neighbor owns the family lawn care and tree trimming business built by his great grandfather in the 40s. He's admitted that he could pay better and that's partly to blame for him not having enough employees. He also realizes that if he increases an expense...he's going to have to raise prices. That's the nature of business. :twocents:

It's harsh to cut these people off from the extra unemployment, so many of them really struggle through no fault of their own. But at the same time - it's government ASSISTANCE but it's been transformed into government RELIANCE. If you don't want to work, fine but you aren't getting a red cent from us.

To continue receiving unemployment, don't you have to prove that you're looking for work? I'm not familiar with the system but are there any safeguards to help curb abuse of it?
Should every job earn a living wage?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:31 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:27 am

Are you avoiding talking about it then? Do ditch diggers (construction workers) not earn a living wage in this country? Living wage is $34k or so for a single person in America today. Are ditch diggers making less than $34k per year?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:45 am
Are you avoiding talking about it then? Do ditch diggers (construction workers) not earn a living wage in this country? Living wage is $34k or so for a single person in America today. Are ditch diggers making less than $34k per year?
Not just laborers but construction workers overall ...

DETAILED LIST OF CONSTRUCTION WORKER SALARIES BY STATE

Laborers are going to make less than the average construction worker.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:45 am

Yeah...thanks again, BDK. :lol:

(Hint: the original “ditch diggers quote” was satire as well. )
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:29 pm
Winterborn wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:45 am

I am in one of those 25 states and our Governor stated that as of June 19th it will end. And assuming it will probably take until July for the affects to show up depending on the payment cycles (Are unemployment benefits a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly thing?).
Good point. The 25 (Last I heard) conk states are probably seeing things turn around this month through July, while for the other states it won’t be until Octoberish..

Counting 27 states with conk govs/23 with donk govs. So the 2 states with conk govs (not sure which) probably have donk controlled legislatures that have blocked ending it early.

Repeating the myth.
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... efits-myth
‘No one wants to work anymore’: the truth behind this unemployment benefits myth
US employees are concerned about safety, others have caregiving responsibilities and some are using their job loss as an opportunity to find other work

Business owners claim the expanded benefits of $300 a week are keeping people at home instead of behind cash registers and in fast food kitchens.

At restaurants across the country – from Albuquerque, New Mexico, to Fort Worth, Texas – the same sign is popping up: “We are short staffed. Please be patient with the staff that did show up. No one wants to work any more.”

The implication is that the federal government’s expanded unemployment benefits of $300 each week are keeping people at home instead of behind cash registers and in fast-food kitchens.

It’s a concern shared by independent business owners in interviews with local and national media, worried that their efforts to bump wages and increase benefits aren’t luring in the workers they need as Covid-19 restrictions fall and consumer spending soars.

Unfortunately for them, what’s happening is a feature, not a bug, of the US economic system and the blame can’t entirely be placed on a $300 weekly check.

The University of Pennsylvania economist Ioana Marinescu said: “In the absence of the benefits there would probably be a little bit more applications and hiring would be a little bit easier, but the main drive of the recent change in sentiment is that hiring is accelerating.”

Job openings rose to a two-year high in February, according to the US Labor Department’s job openings and labor turnover survey published last month. And in March, employers added nearly 1 million new jobs, with many economists expecting similar or better gains in the April jobs report on Friday.

If job openings accelerate faster than people apply for work, there will be pain for business owners. The pandemic has added some quirks to this economic reality.

It is true that a sliver of people would rather stay home for a few months making as much, or more, from unemployment than they would defrosting meat patties or answering phones.

But would-be employees are also concerned about safety - 46% of the population hasn’t received a single vaccine dose and the spread of Covid-19 is uncontrolled in the US. Potential employees also have caregiving responsibilities: this recession has disproportionately affected women, who largely take up these duties and in late March more than half of schools were still doing remote learning or a combination of remote and in-person classes.

Others, like LaShanta Knowles in Cleveland, Ohio, are using their job loss as an opportunity to do something different.

Until September, Knowles had worked the same job at a relocation services company for seven years, unhappy and unsupported, only ever receiving attention for doing things wrong.

“I stayed out of comfort and out of fear if this job didn’t want me, I didn’t think anyone else would,” Knowles said. “Luckily, I don’t feel that way any more since I went back to school.”

This month, Knowles will receive a certification in web programming and development. Even with the unemployment, the financial situation has been tough, in part because Ohio has been inconsistent with unemployment payments.

This is a problem facing millions across the country because the benefit system is unequipped to respond to this recession. It’s been such an issue that the not-for-profit Ohio Organizing Collaborative stepped in to help people like Knowles navigate the system and invite them to take action to call for something better. And momentum is picking up to consider a national unemployment reform.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

For Decades the GOP's response to low wages was, well, if you don't like it, get another job.

Now, the GOP is complaining because people did what they wanted - GOT ANOTHER JOB.

People are less willing to work for crappy wages in a service industry where both the owners/managers and the customers treat them poorly, risking their life because 30% of Americans are too ignorant to get vaccinated or selfish to wear a mask.

FACE it -the GOP wants docile sheep to accept poor wages so the owners can rake in the money. Want better employees - PAY MORE, provide better working conditions, and support your employees.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:10 am For Decades the GOP's response to low wages was, well, if you don't like it, get another job.

Now, the GOP is complaining because people did what they wanted - GOT ANOTHER JOB.

People are less willing to work for crappy wages in a service industry where both the owners/managers and the customers treat them poorly, risking their life because 30% of Americans are too ignorant to get vaccinated or selfish to wear a mask.

FACE it -the GOP wants docile sheep to accept poor wages so the owners can rake in the money. Want better employees - PAY MORE, provide better working conditions, and support your employees.
:nod:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:10 am For Decades the GOP's response to low wages was, well, if you don't like it, get another job.

Not arguing all of this, but where do you get this idea that people "got another job"? I thought the recent stats say something like 9.3 million unemployed people, 8.1 million open jobs, and still 7.6 million less employed people than in February of 2020. That's a lot of people who haven't gotten another job.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Some thoughts/questions:
  • Some people are getting another job and good for them! Some people are staying home and collecting unemployment.
  • How great is the risk from Americans too ignorant or selfish to get vaccinated/wear a mask if the service industry employee is vaccinated? Vaccines are available, why can't people mitigate their risk by getting vaccinated?
  • COVID is infectious and can be deadly and while it isn't the flu/a hoax, it also isn't as infectious or deadly as the MSM has led people to believe.
  • FACE it -the Democratic Party wants docile sheep to accept an ever expanding government so they can control people.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:45 am

Some thoughts/questions:
  • Some people are getting another job and good for them! Some people are staying home and collecting unemployment.
  • How great is the risk from Americans too ignorant or selfish to get vaccinated/wear a mask if the service industry employee is vaccinated? Vaccines are available, why can't people mitigate their risk by getting vaccinated?
  • COVID is infectious and can be deadly and while it isn't the flu/a hoax, it also isn't as infectious or deadly as the MSM has led people to believe.
  • FACE it -the Democratic Party wants docile sheep to accept an ever expanding government so they can control people.
Even when vaccinated, there is still a risk of infection - it is greatly reduced, but a risk non the less - the more people you encounter, the more chances to interact with an unvaccinated person.

Not sure where you are coming up with "not as infectious or deadly as MSM would make you believe - 600,000 (and more likely 900,000) would disagree if they could.

LMAO - the Democratic Party is the one with the free thinkers. If you don't toe the QOP line, you are out the door.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:12 pm
Some thoughts/questions:
Even when vaccinated, there is still a risk of infection - it is greatly reduced, but a risk non the less - the more people you encounter, the more chances to interact with an unvaccinated person.

Not sure where you are coming up with "not as infectious or deadly as MSM would make you believe - 600,000 (and more likely 900,000) would disagree if they could.

LMAO - the Democratic Party is the one with the free thinkers. If you don't toe the QOP line, you are out the door.
There is a risk to everything. The government should not be in the business of protecting people from every risk. Whether a risk is acceptable or not is an individual decision and hopefully is made with good information which leads to the 2nd point ...

How misinformation is distorting COVID policies and behaviors
Republicans consistently underestimate risks, while Democrats consistently overestimate them.
Yes a lot of people have died but not nearly as many as would have if COVID were as infectious or deadly as some believe.

Free thinkers come up with new ideas, they don't try to rehash old, failed ones. Let's see how AOChe and her comrades treat Manchin and Sinema or even Biden if he can't deliver on enough of their platform. The 2 major parties are mirror images, leapfrogging each other in a contest to show who is the most extreme and exclusionary.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Please - you're a zealot for the Dems, of course you'd see it that way. But that's your bias talking. Do you really think Joe Manchin is feeling the kumbya and hugs from the far left of his party? Right now, both parties cater to their own extremes - there's not a lot of "free thinking" going on amongst the power brokers in either party.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:38 pm

Please - you're a zealot for the Dems, of course you'd see it that way. But that's your bias talking. Do you really think Joe Manchin is feeling the kumbya and hugs from the far left of his party? Right now, both parties cater to their own extremes - there's not a lot of "free thinking" going on amongst the power brokers in either party.
The fact that we have Joe Manchin in the party makes the Democratic Party far more free-thinking that the cult of Trump
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Some thoughts/questions:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You mean free thinkers, like you? :rofl: :rofl: