This voter fraud investigation?

:dunce:
cx500d
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NDSU

Re: So, will Mexico pay for-

Post by cx500d »

Wedgebuster wrote:This voter fraud investigation?

No, they'll take it out of the $60000000000 budget for studying the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Wedgebuster wrote:This voter fraud investigation?

Fvcking hilarious how he can't keep from responding whenever somebody says he lost the popular vote. We're going to have so much fun with this guy. Whoever thought that our great nation would advance democracy to the point that a person can insult this miserable excuse for a President and get a personal reply! God I love this place.. :rofl:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

I keep wondering what he means when he says Mexico will pay for the wall.

It's a pretty good thought exercise to try to think of the ways that could actually happen. The only things I can come up with are-

1) tax the hell out of remittances to Mexico by requiring wire transfer agents to verify legal status in the US. If no legal status, then there's a surcharge to send money to Mexico and other countries designated as having high rates of illegal immigration in the US. There are a number of roadblocks to this- namely that there is only one way to reliably verify US citizenship, and that is with a passport or Consular Report of Birth Abroad. So grandma needing to wire money to her grandkid on spring break who just got robbed (or spent it all on booze and hookers) would have to pay extra for an expedited passport to show her citizenship before wiring money.

2) threaten trade agreements. This is already happening but it is unclear if that would be a big enough lever. That said, Nieto has no choice but to say Mexico isn't paying for the wall for political reasons, so hard to say.

All his said, remittances to Mexico are in the billions of dollars- 24.8 billion in 2015 to be exact. It is hard to say how much of this is coming from illegals.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
mrklean
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern Uni.

Post by mrklean »

Trump is lying about the wall. The U.S. taxpayers will foot this bill.
ImageImage
FROM DA DURTY SOUTH!
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:I keep wondering what he means when he says Mexico will pay for the wall.

It's a pretty good thought exercise to try to think of the ways that could actually happen. The only things I can come up with are-

1) tax the hell out of remittances to Mexico by requiring wire transfer agents to verify legal status in the US. If no legal status, then there's a surcharge to send money to Mexico and other countries designated as having high rates of illegal immigration in the US. There are a number of roadblocks to this- namely that there is only one way to reliably verify US citizenship, and that is with a passport or Consular Report of Birth Abroad. So grandma needing to wire money to her grandkid on spring break who just got robbed (or spent it all on booze and hookers) would have to pay extra for an expedited passport to show her citizenship before wiring money.

2) threaten trade agreements. This is already happening but it is unclear if that would be a big enough lever. That said, Nieto has no choice but to say Mexico isn't paying for the wall for political reasons, so hard to say.

All his said, remittances to Mexico are in the billions of dollars- 24.8 billion in 2015 to be exact. It is hard to say how much of this is coming from illegals.
I've read that there are more Americans moving to Mexico than vice versa - how much Social Security money gets sent to Mexico?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

mrklean wrote:Trump is lying about the wall. The U.S. taxpayers will foot this bill.

Easy solution - Trump pays for the wall himself, if his Russian bankers OK it, and Mexico pays Trump back. :coffee:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

houndawg wrote:
CID1990 wrote:I keep wondering what he means when he says Mexico will pay for the wall.

I've read that there are more Americans moving to Mexico than vice versa - how much Social Security money gets sent to Mexico?
I havent seen the numbers, so it probably depends on what metric you use. Mexico is our #1 immigrant visa country in the world. I don't know the exact numbers, but I guess it is possible that we have more pensioners moving there than they have legal immigrants moving to the US. But I highly doubt it in terms of the raw numbers

However- SS benefits overseas are handled by our overseas federal benefits units (FBUs) and they are almost entirely by direct deposit. In less developed countries with dd problems (like Nigeria) we were still issuing paper checks at embassies and consulates. Even that is coming to an end. Ultimately, changes to wire transfer rules would have no effect on recipients of fed benefits. That's one of our consular functions overseas - we assist and facilitate pur pensioners getting their money no matter where they are.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Just cutting our trade deficit to Mexico in half will pay for the wall. :coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

mrklean wrote:Trump is lying about the wall. The U.S. taxpayers will foot this bill.
Yeah, but it's going to be a yuuuuuge wall. :suspicious:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Ibanez wrote:
That's what you told me about your willie.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Grizalltheway wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Yeah, but it's going to be a yuuuuuge wall. :suspicious:
A guy will say anything to...you know. :thumb:
mrklean
Level3
Level3

Post by mrklean »

Ibanez wrote:
You wanted him, now you got him...................... :rofl:
ImageImage
FROM DA DURTY SOUTH!
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Ibanez wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
A guy will say anything to...you know. :thumb:
Get pegged?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

What happens if we piss off Mexico? Will Mexicans stop coming into the country? Will they kick out US companies and their manufacturing?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

mrklean wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Yeah, but it's going to be a yuuuuuge wall. :suspicious:
You wanted him, now you got him...................... :rofl:
Who said I wanted him? Are you making an assumption based on race and/or gender? Of course, you wouldn't make such a blanket racist comment, would you?
:coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:What happens if we piss off Mexico? Will Mexicans stop coming into the country? Will they kick out US companies and their manufacturing?
Tequila and Tortilla futures are plummeting as we speak.

Thanks Donald!
mrklean
Level3
Level3

Post by mrklean »

Ibanez wrote:
mrklean wrote: You wanted him, now you got him...................... :rofl:
Who said I wanted him? Are you making an assumption based on race and/or gender? Of course, you wouldn't make such a blanket racist comment, would you?
I know you did not vote for the Hillda Beast :thumb:
ImageImage
FROM DA DURTY SOUTH!
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

mrklean wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Who said I wanted him? Are you making an assumption based on race and/or gender? Of course, you wouldn't make such a blanket racist comment, would you?
I know you did not vote for the Hillda Beast :thumb:
I didn't vote for any candidate. Neither of them have the character to be a leader. :thumb:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:
houndawg wrote:
I havent seen the numbers, so it probably depends on what metric you use. Mexico is our #1 immigrant visa country in the world. I don't know the exact numbers, but I guess it is possible that we have more pensioners moving there than they have legal immigrants moving to the US. But I highly doubt it in terms of the raw numbers

However- SS benefits overseas are handled by our overseas federal benefits units (FBUs) and they are almost entirely by direct deposit. In less developed countries with dd problems (like Nigeria) we were still issuing paper checks at embassies and consulates. Even that is coming to an end. Ultimately, changes to wire transfer rules would have no effect on recipients of fed benefits. That's one of our consular functions overseas - we assist and facilitate pur pensioners getting their money no matter where they are.
Will the mass resignation of senior State Department management have any effect with consular duties?
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Ibanez wrote:
89Hen wrote:What happens if we piss off Mexico? Will Mexicans stop coming into the country? Will they kick out US companies and their manufacturing?
Tequila and Tortilla futures are plummeting as we speak.

Thanks Donald!
If he fvcks up my access to good Mexican food there will be trouble...
Wedgebuster
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNC BEARS
A.K.A.: OB55

Post by Wedgebuster »

Pissing off Mexico as our trading partner moves them right in with China, they have their arms wide open...

And if dumbshit Trump gets the wall, China will have two great walls, one there and one here...

:nod:
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Nothing, but there will be tons of foot stomping, whining, crying, crocodile tears, and hand wringing. :coffee:

They need us a whole lot more than we need them. :nod:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

houndawg wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Will the mass resignation of senior State Department management have any effect with consular duties?

I saw that article in the WaPo. Predictably, they got it wrong (or at least misleading)

Only one person has left State and that's Pat Kennedy. The rest of the people they listed (like my boss, Michelle Bond) have not left. They have stepped down from their Senate-confirmed positions but are still employed by State.

Which is what happens every time a new administration from the other party comes in.

But to answer your question, no, it will not affect consular operations any more than the other 100 times an Assistant Secretary has stepped down.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:
houndawg wrote:

I saw that article in the WaPo. Predictably, they got it wrong (or at least misleading)

Only one person has left State and that's Pat Kennedy. The rest of the people they listed (like my boss, Michelle Bond) have not left. They have stepped down from their Senate-confirmed positions but are still employed by State.

Which is what happens every time a new administration from the other party comes in.

But to answer your question, no, it will not affect consular operations any more than the other 100 times an Assistant Secretary has stepped down.
So business as usual except for some ambassadors?