Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: The Official "Making America Great Again" Thread

Post by GannonFan »

We're in a repeat of the worst stretch of Presidents in US history. Trump did his best Millard Filmore impersonation, Biden is nailing his Franklin Pierce mode, and God only know who will step in to be Buchanan after the next election. On the bright side, maybe there's a Lincoln somewhere on the horizon, but it's still pretty far away.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:50 am We're in a repeat of the worst stretch of Presidents in US history. Trump did his best Millard Filmore impersonation, Biden is nailing his Franklin Pierce mode, and God only know who will step in to be Buchanan after the next election. On the bright side, maybe there's a Lincoln somewhere on the horizon, but it's still pretty far away.
Trump didn't Make America Great Again?

Biden probably isn't going to Build Back Better?

Could Kamala be Buchanan?

This is frighteningly true.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:50 am We're in a repeat of the worst stretch of Presidents in US history. Trump did his best Millard Filmore impersonation, Biden is nailing his Franklin Pierce mode, and God only know who will step in to be Buchanan after the next election. On the bright side, maybe there's a Lincoln somewhere on the horizon, but it's still pretty far away.
And GannonFan is that Lincoln! :rockon: :dance:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:11 pm
Democrat spin: collectively, our POTUS and VPOTUS have a 66% approval rating!
Last edited by Ivytalk on Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:51 am

I'd take a Buchanan over a Harding.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:17 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:51 am

At least Harding had the good sense to die in office and not serve his whole term. Buchanan was there to the bitter end, and wasn't very helpful.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:23 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:17 am
At least Harding had the good sense to die in office and not serve his whole term. Buchanan was there to the bitter end, and wasn't very helpful.
But Harding was a corrupt SOB. He was a slacker - Inaugurated in March and then went on vacation until December. Promised to have the "best minds". Sound familiar? :lol:

HIs appointment of Herbert Hoover was one of this best decisions. And say what you want about Hoover's presidential administration - the guy was actually a really good administrator. His work with the FDA during WW1 shouldn't be overlooked or discounted. He was an engineer and politically clueless. :twocents: His failure to realize the severity of the Depression is a blight on his record but shouldn't be the only thing considered when you look at the scope of what he was involved in.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:00 am
But Harding was a corrupt SOB. He was a slacker - Inaugurated in March and then went on vacation until December. Promised to have the "best minds". Sound familiar? :lol:

HIs appointment of Herbert Hoover was one of this best decisions. And say what you want about Hoover's presidential administration - the guy was actually a really good administrator. His work with the FDA during WW1 shouldn't be overlooked or discounted. He was an engineer and politically clueless. :twocents: His failure to realize the severity of the Depression is a blight on his record but shouldn't be the only thing considered when you look at the scope of what he was involved in.
He was ahead of his time. :nod:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:23 am

Generally Harding picked good people (besides Hoover he also went with Mellon and Hughes, all good picks) except for the two guys that burned him in the Teapot Dome scandal. I don't think Harding's really been evaluated that much in depth, a lot of the negativity on him is contemporary in nature, and tinged by the Great Depression a decade after his administration. He wasn't a great President, but I think much farther from the bottom where some people put him. Buchanan was basically Nero playing a fiddle while the country was about to burn - I think Harding's better than that.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:10 am

Generally Harding picked good people (besides Hoover he also went with Mellon and Hughes, all good picks) except for the two guys that burned him in the Teapot Dome scandal. I don't think Harding's really been evaluated that much in depth, a lot of the negativity on him is contemporary in nature, and tinged by the Great Depression a decade after his administration. He wasn't a great President, but I think much farther from the bottom where some people put him. Buchanan was basically Nero playing a fiddle while the country was about to burn - I think Harding's better than that.
Tea Pot was just one scandal. The Ohio Gang was notorious in the Justice Department and the VA. One of those guys fled to Europe! Forbes ( i think that's his name) was probably the worst.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:15 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:10 am

Tea Pot was just one scandal. The Ohio Gang was notorious in the Justice Department and the VA. One of those guys fled to Europe! Forbes ( i think that's his name) was probably the worst.
Yeah, but Harding's reputation was maybe even more impacted by people writing about his extramarital affairs. People didn't like that in the 1920's and the social slander was significant.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:18 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:15 am
Yeah, but Harding's reputation was maybe even more impacted by people writing about his extramarital affairs. People didn't like that in the 1920's and the social slander was significant.
That's true - maybe he should've honored his vows and not dipped his wick in everything.

Btw - debating who is the worst is kinda silly. Revisionist history aside - Harding wasn't much of a president and put the wrong people in positions of power. He's lucky he died before a lot of the facts came out about Teapot Dome and the other KStreet shenanigans.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:05 am

He was Exhibit A of why engineers aren't a good fit for politics
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Ah, we're back to polls mattering again? How about the stock market? Did that stop mattering again this year? :lol:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:52 pm
Ah, we're back to polls mattering again? How about the stock market? Did that stop mattering again this year? :lol:
Butthurt again? :lol:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

houndawg wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:50 pm
Winterborn wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:05 am

He was Exhibit A of why engineers aren't a good fit for politics
Some to most. There are a few practicing engineers I know who would be a good fit for politics. They have a good mind for business and the people skills to back it up.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I'm sure you have all seen and/or heard this:

It made me wonder if maybe Trump actually believes what he's saying. Either way, I have to shake my head at the idea that ANYBODY would want somebody like that to be anywhere near the Presidency. There are two possibliities:

1) Trump knows better and is lying even though the lying us doing significant damage to the country.

2) Trump is completely delusional and out of touch with reality.

Either one is really bad. If 2 is true, we are talking about a guy who had access to all sorts of information from federal security, intelligence, and law enforcement agencies. All those agencies were telling him the truth: Biden legitimately won the election. But he refused to believe it and went with what people like Sidney Powell were telling him because he did not want to accept the truth. Having a President who is going to disregard all the information he's getting from his federal support infrastructure because it's no what he wants to hear is a really, really bad idea.

My guess is 1 is true. That would be consistent with Trump's lifetime modus operandi. But, again, one really has to question anybody voting for somebody like that being President. And we've got 47% who did that. We have a serious population quality problem.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ivytalk wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:42 am
it's a poll on the extreme bad side of the bad side for Democrats. But there's no question it's bad for them right now. The Real Clear Politics (RCP) average for Biden right now is 42% approve vs. 52.5% disapprove. Still bad at -10.7 percentage points, but not as bad as the -19 percentage points in that individual poll.

I don't see a RCP average for Harris Job Approval, but she's about in the same place, at 40.6% favorably vs. 50.8% unfavorably as Trump, at 40.7% favorably vs. 51.9% unfavorably, is in terms of favorability. Biden is a 42.8% favorably vs. 51.6% unfavorably.

It is notable that the very recent ABC News/Washington Post poll also has Biden at the extreme bad end of the body of polls. You may recall that I consider that to be the best single poll and it does have Biden at 38% approve vs. 57% disapprove.

That's the way it goes. Those of us who care about the country will just have to hope things happen to change the dynamic and keep Republicans out of power.
Could I ever be a star?

LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

The Official "Making America Great Again" Thread

Post by LeadBolt »

Another poll with more detail. Biden is following his mind into the sunset. Job approval for all likely voters -15, among those with strong opinions-28

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public ... rack_nov12

Poll on direction of country, 30% approve.

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public ... icalimpact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

I took a look at the ABC News/Washington Post poll conducted November 7 - 10 ( It is consistent with an ongoing theme: Biden and the Democrats are not doing well in terms of overall perception, but if you look at the specifics of what they want to do and issues there is solid support for what they want to do and their side of the issues. Here are some examples of how respondents broke with respect to some questions.
Do you support or oppose the federal government spending one trillion dollars on roads, bridges and other infrastructure?
Support 63%, Oppose 32%
Do you support or oppose the federal government spending about two trillion dollars to address climate change and to create or expand preschool, health care and other social programs?
Support 58%, Oppose 37%
Do you think the federal government should or should not regulate the release of greenhouse gases from sources like power plants, cars and factories in an effort to reduce global warming?
Should be Regulated 70%, Should not be Regulated 24%
How much do you think public schools should teach about how the history of racism affects America today - a great deal, a good amount, not so much or not at all?
A great deal/A good amount 70%, Not so much/Not at all 27%

An interesting contrast is that, when the Republicans were doing their thing during Trump's first year, the majority of people in the US opposed the content of what they were trying to do. The majority opposed the Republican tax cut as well as Trump's border wall, for instance. See https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... tax-hikes/ and https://www.cato.org/commentary/america ... heir-minds.

So, in the abstract, the majority of the public appears to think "Democrat bad." But if you get to specific proposals and issues, the majority of the public is on the Democrat side. The Democrats need to try as hard as they can to make people focus on the specific issues and their proposals. It's a heavy lift but I don't know what else they can do.

Let's hope they can find a way because the Republican Party is bat-shit crazy right now and this country does NOT need to have those nut jobs in charge.
Could I ever be a star?

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:04 am
Ivytalk wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:42 am

it's a poll on the extreme bad side of the bad side for Democrats. But there's no question it's bad for them right now. The Real Clear Politics (RCP) average for Biden right now is 42% approve vs. 52.5% disapprove. Still bad at -10.7 percentage points, but not as bad as the -19 percentage points in that individual poll.

I don't see a RCP average for Harris Job Approval, but she's about in the same place, at 40.6% favorably vs. 50.8% unfavorably as Trump, at 40.7% favorably vs. 51.9% unfavorably, is in terms of favorability. Biden is a 42.8% favorably vs. 51.6% unfavorably.

It is notable that the very recent ABC News/Washington Post poll also has Biden at the extreme bad end of the body of polls. You may recall that I consider that to be the best single poll and it does have Biden at 38% approve vs. 57% disapprove.

That's the way it goes. Those of us who care about the country will just have to hope things happen to change the dynamic and keep Republicans out of power.
Yeah, StWronge. Keep talking. I note you never claim to be a conservative anymore. You’ve come out of the Donk closet.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ivytalk wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:46 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:04 am

Yeah, StWronge. Keep talking. I note you never claim to be a conservative anymore. You’ve come out of the Donk closet.
I am extremely conservative philosophically. But the Republican Party is bat shit crazy right now and is a danger to the country. It is beholding to a critical mass of hateful, ignorant people who might be described as the American Taliban. If it is not going to rebuke those people and their champion (Trump), it needs to be discarded and we need a new conservative Party.

The Republican Party is not even a conservative Party anymore. Trump is not a conservative. Trump is an irrational populist and, because of him, the Republican Party has become an irrational populist Party that is a clear and present danger. Way more dangerous than the Democratic Party is at this time in history.
Could I ever be a star?

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:26 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:46 pm

I am extremely conservative philosophically. But the Republican Party is bat shit crazy right now and is a danger to the country. It is beholding to a critical mass of hateful, ignorant people who might be described as the American Taliban. If it is not going to rebuke those people and their champion (Trump), it needs to be discarded and we need a new conservative Party.

The Republican Party is not even a conservative Party anymore. Trump is not a conservative. Trump is an irrational populist and, because of him, the Republican Party has become an irrational populist Party that is a clear and present danger. Way more dangerous than the Democratic Party is at this time in history.
:lol: :lol: :lol: JohnStWrong. Again.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:56 pm I took a look at the ABC News/Washington Post poll conducted November 7 - 10 ( It is consistent with an ongoing theme: Biden and the Democrats are not doing well in terms of overall perception, but if you look at the specifics of what they want to do and issues there is solid support for what they want to do and their side of the issues. Here are some examples of how respondents broke with respect to some questions.
ABC/Wa PO : I actually should have stopped reading right there, as you have liberal organizations asking flawed questions from a liberal perspective.
Do you support or oppose the federal government spending one trillion dollars on roads, bridges and other infrastructure?
Support 63%, Oppose 32%
Flawed question because the donk bill doesn't come close to spending one trillion dollars on real infrastructure such as roads, bridges. Its loaded with pork. I wish there was a 1 trillion bill that 100% went to REAL infrastructure (ports, rail, roads, bridges, pipelines, power grid)
Do you support or oppose the federal government spending about two trillion dollars to address climate change and to create or expand preschool, health care and other social programs?
Support 58%, Oppose 37%
Flawed question, as it leaves off the part about paying higher taxes and much higher energy costs.
Do you think the federal government should or should not regulate the release of greenhouse gases from sources like power plants, cars and factories in an effort to reduce global warming?
Should be Regulated 70%, Should not be Regulated 24%
Flawed question- it already is regulated
How much do you think public schools should teach about how the history of racism affects America today - a great deal, a good amount, not so much or not at all?
A great deal/A good amount 70%, Not so much/Not at all 27%
Flawed question that leaves off the part asking is it ok to teach that whites are oppressors, and non whites are oppressed, and other such garbage that CRT espouses.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.