Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Re: The Official "Making America Great Again" Thread

Post by Baldy »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:33 am
Baldy wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:16 am
"Military leaders". I found these in about 30 seconds of searching. There is so much more.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/twenty-t ... es-charged
You should probably read them before googling and posting in 30 seconds.

The first DOJ link are all private businesses executives... not "military leaders."
Daniel Alvirez, 32, and Lee Allen Tolleson, 25, the president and director of acquisitions and logistics at a company in Bull Shoals, Ark., that manufactures and sells law enforcement and military equipment;
Helmie Ashiblie, 44, the vice president and founder of a company in Woodbridge, Va., that supplies tactical bags and other security-related articles for law enforcement agencies and governments worldwide;
Andrew Bigelow, 40, the managing partner and director of government programs for a Sarasota, Fla., company that sells machine guns, grenade launchers and other small arms and accessories;
R. Patrick Caldwell, 61, and Stephen Gerard Giordanella, 50, the current and former chief executive officers of a Sunrise, Fla., company that designs and manufactures concealable and tactical body armor;
Yochanan R. Cohen, aka Yochi Cohen, 47, the chief executive officer of a San Francisco company that manufactures security equipment, including body armor and ballistic plates;
Haim Geri, 50, the president of a North Miami Beach, Fla., company that serves as a sales agent for companies in the law enforcement and military products industries;
Amaro Goncalves, 49, the vice president of sales for a Springfield, Mass., company that designs and manufactures firearms, firearm safety/security products, rifles, firearms systems and accessories;
John Gregory Godsey, aka Greg Godsey, 37, and Mark Frederick Morales, 37, the owner and agent of a Decatur, Ga., company that sells ammunition and other law enforcement and military equipment;
Saul Mishkin, 38, the owner and chief executive officer of an Aventura, Fla., company that sells law enforcement and military equipment;
John M. Mushriqui, 28, and Jeana Mushriqui, 30, the director of international development and general counsel/U.S. manager of an Upper Darby, Penn., company that manufactures and exports bulletproof vests and other law enforcement and military equipment;
David R. Painter, 56, and Lee M. Wares, 43, the chairman and director of a United Kingdom company that markets armored vehicles;
Pankesh Patel, 43, the managing director of a United Kingdom company that acts as sales agent for companies in the law enforcement and military products industries;
Ofer Paz, 50, the president and chief executive officer of an Israeli company that acts as sales agent for companies in the law enforcement and military products industries;
Jonathan M. Spiller, 58, the owner and president of a Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., company that markets and sells law enforcement and military equipment;
Israel Weisler, aka Wayne Weisler, 63, and Michael Sacks, 66, owners and co-chief executive officers of a Stearns, Ky., company that designs, manufactures and sells armor products, including body armor;
John Benson Wier III, 46, the president of a St. Petersburg, Fla., company that sells tactical and ballistic equipment.
You cherry picked one? :?

Interesting to see felchy defending both Fox News and the military industrial complex in less than 24 hours. :lol:
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:37 am
89Hen wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:26 am
If the enlisted and officers aren't... who does that leave?
Private defense companies. Boeing, Lockheed, Raytheon, and Northrop Grumman among the biggest. Eisenhower calls them the arms or armaments industry in his speech
Only private defense companies? The military isn't involved in the military industrial complex? :suspicious:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:03 am I don't really see how generals and other (active) soldiers are part of the military industrial complex though.

They're pawns, but not the complex itself.
They are. Who do you think is running all those programs that are being carried out by defense contractors? Captains, LTs, Majors, Rear Admirals, Lt.Cols were just a few of the officers that I reported to who were managing programs for the US Navy, US Army and US Marine Corps. They are making decisions that directly influence buying, power, congressional appropriations, etc...

If you think they are "pawns" then you are mistaken.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:37 am
Private defense companies. Boeing, Lockheed, Raytheon, and Northrop Grumman among the biggest. Eisenhower calls them the arms or armaments industry in his speech
Boeing, Raytheon, Booz Allen, SAIC, etc... are the "Industrial" part of the Military-Industrial Complex. Listen to me or anyone else that has worked for these defense contractors. Military brass is involved. It's not just Congress and Industry on the part of the military. The Military is right there with them.

But what do I know...I only spent 10 years in the industry reporting to Rear Admirals, a few Majors and Captains and a very bitchy Lt that couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag. They are 100% part of the machine.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:03 am I don't really see how generals and other (active) soldiers are part of the military industrial complex though.

93hen?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

https://www.public.navy.mil/navwar/Page ... lcome.aspx

https://www.public.navy.mil/navwar/PEOC ... fault.aspx

These are the military leaders that are managing, approving, BUYING for projects that are being worked by Boeing, Rayhteon, N-G, Booz Allen, SRC, etc...
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:19 am

These are the military leaders that are managing, approving, BUYING for projects that are being worked by Boeing, Rayhteon, N-G, Booz Allen, SRC, etc...
I get that, but who appropriates that money? Do companies lobby generals or politicians? Can purchasers even get the product elsewhere?

For example, when I specify something in my field and I want a specific product, I write up the spec so that it basically boils down to the one product I want. Does that happen in the military? I'm pretty sure it does from what I've seen - at least architecturally.

"Swivel chair produced in America, with 100% American labor and materials, with stainless steel legs, gel cushions, and blue cloth covers"

Oh, only one tiny shop in American makes a swivel chair where the stainless steel, gel, and cloth is also made in America? And it happens to be owned by a multimillionaire with corporate connections? That'll be $1500 a chair. Why is that written in the rules?

If it happens on the facilities side, I'm sure it happens on the weaponry side. And I think that's where the lobbyists come into play.

edit: And to be honest, I actually wouldn't be surprised if current military members ARE sending favors to their MIC connections, as the MIC is generally made up of former military members who have friends still in the military.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:31 am

I get that, but who appropriates that money? Does companies lobby generals or politicians? Can purchasers even get the product elsewhere?

For example, when I specify something in my field and I want a specific product, I write up the spec so that it basically boils down to the one product I want. Does that happen in the military? I'm pretty sure it does from what I've seen - at least architecturally.

"Swivel chair must be produced in America, with 100% American labor and materials, with stainless steel legs and gel cushions."

Oh, only one tiny shop in American makes a swivel chair where the stainless steel and gel is also made in America? And it happens to be owned by a multimillionaire with corporate connections and also, the chair costs $1500/ea.

If it happens on the facilities side, I'm sure it happens on the weaponry side. And I think that's where the lobbyists come into play.
You're changing the subject. You've gone from" I don't really see how generals and other (active) soldiers are part of the military industrial complex though." to complaining about appropriations, lobbying, the revolving door between the Military and Private Sector.

Congress appropriates the money. But it's the military and their civilian advisors saying, "We need X."

If you think i'm defending the MIC, you're wrong. I started working with EMA/SAIC during the Iraq War and there was a blank check and very lax oversight. After Obama was elected, a lot of that changed. Sure, there are people and companies that take advantage of loop holes. Major corporations will buy small companies, own less than 50% and get them to be subcontractors to the parent company. That happens. I've seen people have the company in their wives names so they can work that angle. Or hire a vet, make them a "founder" and work that angle to get jobs. There also are local companies, like the one started by my friend Greg, which received a small business set aside contract to perform PM work on several contracts. Greg isn't a millionaire (though, I think he said he's pretty damn close).

Your example happens, 100%. That's not debatable. But that wasn't what you said. You wrongly stated, "I don't really see how generals and other (active) soldiers are part of the military industrial complex though." From my positions on the weaponry and ISR side, they most certainly, 100% without a doubt are involved b/c I've sat there and have been in the meetings, on the calls where a military officer is making decisions. Look up SPAWAR - they are THE "Military" of the Military-Industrial Complex..among other groups.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Baldy wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:05 am You cherry picked one? :?

Interesting to see felchy defending both Fox News and the military industrial complex in less than 24 hours. :lol:
I read the first one and saw that it was solely private defense contractors.

How am I defending the military industrial complex? :rofl:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:16 am
93hen?
:rofl:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:31 am

I get that, but who appropriates that money? Do companies lobby generals or politicians? Can purchasers even get the product elsewhere?

"Swivel chair produced in America, with 100% American labor and materials, with stainless steel legs, gel cushions, and blue cloth covers"

Oh, only one tiny shop in American makes a swivel chair where the stainless steel, gel, and cloth is also made in America? And it happens to be owned by a multimillionaire with corporate connections? That'll be $1500 a chair. Why is that written in the rules?

edit: And to be honest, I actually wouldn't be surprised if current military members ARE sending favors to their MIC connections, as the MIC is generally made up of former military members who have friends still in the military.
I just saw your edit. They are, 100% doing that. So Is Congress. My first project was cancelled due to misappropriations of funds. When I went to sell, give away all the assets, we had 15 up-armored F550s (which were for the USMC, who doesn't use them :suspicious: ) all purchased at an auto dealership owned by Senator Murtha's brother. So were the trailers. And the Yacht was bought from a broker who sold it on behalf of....Senator Murtha to the USMC. You know..b/c the USMC project needs a yacht.

I've also seen the Pentagon tell congress they don't need tanks and Congress overrule them. It's a jobs bill for these congress critters. It has little to do with National Security.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I didn't say you're defending it. I'm genuinely curious.

Look, I'm ok if we completely slash and cut the entire military...if anything, it should be the first thing we do. I'm not for abandoning allies or ceding our international presence (especially in the water and in Europe, or near Russia/China), but these handouts to military contractors need to end. Make it only as big as actually necessary. If regular military folk and leaders are benefiting from their connections with a *wink* and a *nudge*, it's basically a legalized form of corruption. If this is what Trump is talking about, then I agree.

We don't need billions worth of aircrafts and ships, millions in facilities, specialized products that cost an arm and leg, stockpiles of guns and bullets which end up in the hands of law enforcement, etc. At this point, the whole thing is a scheme to scam taxpayers and get rich quick.

That money should be going to education, healthcare, infrastructure, alternative energy, or whatever people actually benefit from.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:52 am I've also seen the Pentagon tell congress they don't need tanks and Congress overrule them. It's a jobs bill for these congress critters. It has little to do with National Security.
That's the work of defense industry lobbyists, imo.

Mark Esper (Raytheon) is probably not telling Congress they don't need tanks now, though. I'm sure his predecessor Shanahan (Boeing) didn't either.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:55 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:52 am I've also seen the Pentagon tell congress they don't need tanks and Congress overrule them. It's a jobs bill for these congress critters. It has little to do with National Security.

Mark Esper (Raytheon) is probably not telling Congress they don't need tanks now, though. I'm sure his predecessor Shanahan (Boeing) didn't either.
No, It's men with brass stars on their shoulders saying that. It's not lobbyists or civilians. It's the military, men is uniform saying they don't need war machines and then Congress overruling them. I've been harping on this one example for years.
In a statement, Rep. Mike Turner, R-Ohio, said that Congress "recognizes the necessity of the Abrams tank to our national security and authorizes an additional $120 million for Abrams tank upgrades. This provision keeps the production lines open in Lima, Ohio, and ensures that our skilled, technical workers are protected."

Turner chairs the Tactical Air and Land Forces Subcommittee of the House Armed Services Committee and will retain that position in the next Congress. The General Dynamics Land Systems plant in Lima, the only U.S. manufacturer of tanks, is in the district of Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio.

Turner's office did not respond to several requests for comment on why Congress went against the recommendation of Gen. Ray Odierno, the Army chief of staff, to suspend tank production.
https://www.military.com/daily-news/201 ... -want.html

https://www.military.com/daily-news/201 ... -need.html

I've seen it (done it) first hand. We've purchased shit just to purchase it b/c A) we need to zero our accounts so that the program doesn't lose budget money and; B) it's a jobs bill! Congressmen are lobbying for defense spending b/c it keeps money in their districts/states. Which Senator wants to be the one to have major defense projects cancelled or moved outta their home? Who will willfully do that? None of them. SO we continue to purchase equipment we don't know and can't easily and readily sell?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:54 am I didn't say you're defending it. I'm genuinely curious.

Look, I'm ok if we completely slash and cut the entire military...if anything, it should be the first thing we do. I'm not for abandoning allies or ceding our international presence (especially in the water and in Europe, or near Russia/China), but these handouts to military contractors need to end. Make it only as big as actually necessary. If regular military folk and leaders are benefiting from their connections with a *wink* and a *nudge*, it's basically a legalized form of corruption. If this is what Trump is talking about, then I agree.

We don't need billions worth of aircrafts and ships, millions in facilities, specialized products that cost an arm and leg, stockpiles of guns and bullets which end up in the hands of law enforcement, etc. At this point, the whole thing is a scheme to scam taxpayers and get rich quick.

That money should be going to education, healthcare, infrastructure, alternative energy, or whatever people actually benefit from.
I'm the first to say let's cut wasteful spending and put it to good use somewhere else. We waste so much money on defense.

BUt that wasn't what I was responding to. It was your comment:
I don't really see how generals and other (active) soldiers are part of the military industrial complex though.
That's just incorrect.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:08 am
Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:55 am

No, It's men with brass stars on their shoulders saying that. It's not lobbyists or civilians. It's the military, men is uniform saying they don't need war machines and then Congress overruling them. I've been harping on this one example for years.
In a statement, Rep. Mike Turner, R-Ohio, said that Congress "recognizes the necessity of the Abrams tank to our national security and authorizes an additional $120 million for Abrams tank upgrades. This provision keeps the production lines open in Lima, Ohio, and ensures that our skilled, technical workers are protected."

Turner chairs the Tactical Air and Land Forces Subcommittee of the House Armed Services Committee and will retain that position in the next Congress. The General Dynamics Land Systems plant in Lima, the only U.S. manufacturer of tanks, is in the district of Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio.

Turner's office did not respond to several requests for comment on why Congress went against the recommendation of Gen. Ray Odierno, the Army chief of staff, to suspend tank production.

I've seen it (done it) first hand. We've purchased shit just to purchase it b/c A) we need to zero our accounts so that the program doesn't lose budget money and; B) it's a jobs bill! Congressmen are lobbying for defense spending b/c it keeps money in their districts/states. Which Senator wants to be the one to have major defense projects cancelled or moved outta their home? Who will willfully do that? None of them. SO we continue to purchase equipment we don't know and can't easily and readily sell?
I know. I wasn't questioning that the military said they don't need tanks.

I'm saying Congress is by-and-large pursuaded by the defense industry lobbyists on these kinds of decisions.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:07 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:08 am

I know. I wasn't questioning that the military said they don't need tanks.

I'm saying Congress is by-and-large pursuaded by the defense industry lobbyists on these kinds of decisions.
Oh I see your point - yeah. Without a doubt. It all has little to do with what the "people" want.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:25 pm More evidence that only people with at least a 4 year degree should be allowed to vote:
:lol:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

89Hen wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:47 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:25 pm More evidence that only people with at least a 4 year degree should be allowed to vote:
I agree. JSO, please drop the degree thing.

Besides the financial and social disadvantages some people have, it's simply not good democracy. Our democracy already has a ton of issues when it comes to fair and equal representation; we shouldn't be adding another to the list.

People without degrees should have as much say about the problems they face as you do.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:08 pm
89Hen wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:47 pm

Besides the financial and social disadvantages some people have, it's simply not good democracy. Our democracy already has a ton of issues when it comes to fair and equal representation; we shouldn't be adding another to the list.

People without degrees should have as much say about the problems they face as you do.
Not to mention that a 4 degree means jack shit. There are people out there with college degrees that are dumber than a bag of hammers. I know some pretty intelligent, honest, hardworking people who have high school diplomas, associates and/or professional cert.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:28 pm

Not to mention that a 4 degree means jack shit. There are people out there with college degrees that are dumber than a bag of hammers. I know some pretty intelligent, honest, hardworking people who have high school diplomas, associates and/or professional cert.
JSO probably hired a plumber and didn't like what he charged him, hence the "4 year college degree" poll tax idea. Where do you think JSO keeps his old Klan outfit these days?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:26 am
Ivytalk wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:45 am

Attaboy, 88! :thumb: See how good it feels to pwn the libs? :geek:

I’m worried about klam. He seems to have withdrawn into a Covid worry-bunker, and his recent posts are listless. Have to start calling him Low-Energy Klam. :tiptoe:
I’m not worried about Covid nearly as much as I’m disheartened at our selfishness and politics in dealing with it not to mention the stupidity and confirmation bias the crisis and our leadership has emboldened. It’s more than likely the defining change moment of our lifetimes.

Plus, I spent a weekend in the hospital last month with a gastro bleed that required three blood transfusions, an endoscopy where they cauterized lesions in my gut and esophagus, and had my BP at one point down to 73/32. Still recovering from that so forgive me for being surly...or...wait for it...anemic at times. Literally!
Well that's no good. You need to lay off the HuffPo feeds that are wrecking your life.

But this just confirms that I was correct about you not being right lately. :(
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

:nod: :nod: :nod:

AND don't forget how you will only see one side of the political spectrum from your professors. For full disclosure, I did have a couple conservative profs, but they were few and far between.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

I met an Arizona State University graduate that had to drop out of Massage Therapy school because the Anatomy and Physiology was too difficult for her.

I think I graduated with something like 994 points out of 1000.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:12 pm
kalm wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:26 am

I’m not worried about Covid nearly as much as I’m disheartened at our selfishness and politics in dealing with it not to mention the stupidity and confirmation bias the crisis and our leadership has emboldened. It’s more than likely the defining change moment of our lifetimes.

Plus, I spent a weekend in the hospital last month with a gastro bleed that required three blood transfusions, an endoscopy where they cauterized lesions in my gut and esophagus, and had my BP at one point down to 73/32. Still recovering from that so forgive me for being surly...or...wait for it...anemic at times. Literally!
Well that's no good. You need to lay off the HuffPo feeds that are wrecking your life.

But this just confirms that I was correct about you not being right lately. :(
Well if a bunch of conservative intelligentsia agree with me....I’m ok with that. :thumb: