CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: Campus Happenings

Post by CID1990 »

Pwns wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/11/us/r ... rvard.html

SMH. After students pitched a fit over the law dean agreeing to represent Harvey Weinstein, Harvard cans him.

I don't understand why a world-renowned institution that will never be in any danger of losing money from declining enrollment can't just come out and say "get over it, snowflakes".
That’s right-

This should have been a very easy choice for Harvard and an easy argument to win

The consequences of cowardice will be bitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:
Pwns wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/11/us/r ... rvard.html

SMH. After students pitched a fit over the law dean agreeing to represent Harvey Weinstein, Harvard cans him.

I don't understand why a world-renowned institution that will never be in any danger of losing money from declining enrollment can't just come out and say "get over it, snowflakes".
That’s right-

This should have been a very easy choice for Harvard and an easy argument to win

Harvard professors aren't supposed to take representation gigs that are merely for fame and exposure
Ivy can tell you in detail what the professorial bylaws are - they're pretty restrictive

I worked for Harvard Press as a contractor for a while and had to sign an incredible stack of documents
That i did not read but understand it said basically "do anything stupid or for attention" and you're fired
and even any outside writing contracts they had the right to "examine" prior to me signing them
to insure they did not infringe on our mutual contract

:nod:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
That’s right-

Harvard professors aren't supposed to take representation gigs that are merely for fame and exposure
Ivy can tell you in detail what the professorial bylaws are - they're pretty restrictive

I worked for Harvard Press as a contractor for a while and had to sign an incredible stack of documents
That i did not read but understand it said basically "do anything stupid or for attention" and you're fired
and even any outside writing contracts they had the right to "examine" prior to me signing them

That’s fine and good- and if Harvard has that kind of thing in his contract and he violated it, then that’s an issue

But has anyone seen the guy’s legal record? This would not be the first high profile case he has taken - he has an impressive record. He was involved in the Ferguson mess as well - maybe he wasn’t employed by Harvard at that time

The optics here are that he represented a rapist and made students feel unsafe and he was let go as a resident dean because of it.

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
That’s right-

I'm betting a Harvard law dean doesn't need to take a famous person's case pro bono or at a discount to help their career.

I strongly suspect that if students hadn't pitched a fit about this Harvard wouldn't do anything to this guy, and the reason they're pitching a fit has nothing to do with the faculty conduct code.

I almost suspect they fired the dean just because they're embarrassed of students at an elite institution behaving so stupidly.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

Pwns wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

I'm betting a Harvard law dean doesn't need to take a famous person's case pro bono or at a discount to help their career.

I strongly suspect that if students hadn't pitched a fit about this Harvard wouldn't do anything to this guy, and the reason they're pitching a fit has nothing to do with the faculty conduct code.

I almost suspect they fired the dean just because they're embarrassed of students at an elite institution behaving so stupidly.
I don't doubt that ^
But that's what extensive bylaws are all about
nobody taking a job at Harvard Law school should be confused about this aspect
it basically says "Make the news = Get fired"

What's so confusing about that ?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Nothing is really official regarding Harvard till Ivy checks in on this - need to hear his take.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

Chizzang wrote:
Pwns wrote:

I don't doubt that ^

I repeat: The only reason it's news that he took on HW as a client is because the students complained.
Celebrate Diversity.*
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

Pwns wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
I don't doubt that ^

I repeat: The only reason it's news that he took on HW as a client is because the students complained.
agreed... aaaaaand you're fired

(the end)
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote:Nothing is really official regarding Harvard till Ivy checks in on this - need to hear his take.
The more I read about this, there’s more to it. For over three years, there was a lot of administrative infighting at Winthrop House (where I lived for three years, BTW) in which Sullivan found himself smack-dab in the middle. He had a lot of autocratic tendencies — not just being shitcanned for nobly representing an unpopular client. The whiny millennial dining hall sit-in (and related snowflaking) to protest Big Bad Weinstein might have given the University the excuse it needed to lance a three-year-old boil. But the optics do suck for my alma mater.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

Ivytalk wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Nothing is really official regarding Harvard till Ivy checks in on this - need to hear his take.
The more I read about this, there’s more to it. For over three years, there was a lot of administrative infighting at Winthrop House (where I lived for three years, BTW) in which Sullivan found himself smack-dab in the middle. He had a lot of autocratic tendencies — not just being shitcanned for nobly representing an unpopular client. The whiny millennial dining hall sit-in (and related snowflaking) to protest Big Bad Weinstein might have given the University the excuse it needed to lance a three-year-old boil. But the optics do suck for my alma mater.

The optics suck if that's the way somebody spins the optics...

:geek:

People get fired for annoying their employer all the time
and the RIGHT loves it - right to work
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
Pwns wrote:

I don't doubt that ^

What if you make the news and then play the black card?

Does Harvard still fire you?

I suspect Harvard has some self-awarded wiggle room here that it has used before

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
I don't doubt that ^

What if you make the news and then play the black card?

Does Harvard still fire you?

I suspect Harvard has some self-awarded wiggle room here that it has used before

Harvard had some problems with Cornel West awhile back

Just sayin’...
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Just wait until the millenials in charge, assuming they still read, find out that John Adams represented the British soldiers who fired into the crowd during the British Massacre. Good-bye Adams House. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Many Harvard residential houses were named after former Harvard presidents: Quincy, Dunster, Kirkland, Mather, Eliot, Lowell, and Leverett Houses.

Leonard Hoar was president of Harvard from 1672 to 1675. First Harvard graduate to serve as president. But no House is named after him. 8-) wonder why not....
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Ivytalk wrote:Many Harvard residential houses were named after former Harvard presidents: Quincy, Dunster, Kirkland, Mather, Eliot, Lowell, and Leverett Houses.

Leonard Hoar was president of Harvard from 1672 to 1675. First Harvard graduate to serve as president. But no House is named after him. 8-) wonder why not....
:rofl:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote:Many Harvard residential houses were named after former Harvard presidents: Quincy, Dunster, Kirkland, Mather, Eliot, Lowell, and Leverett Houses.

Because Harvard isn’t smart enough to name it Leonard House?

Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Mesa College English Professor Showed QAnon Video in Class, Students Say

An English professor at Mesa Community College kicked off the fall semester by showing his classes a YouTube video spreading a far-right conspiracy theory, according to four students.

The 14-minute video shown by adjunct professor Douglas Belmore in at least two classes promoted QAnon, an online community that subscribes to the theory that a cabal of satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles has infiltrated the American government, media, and entertainment industry.

President Donald Trump, according to QAnon, has been secretly working to arrest the perpetrators of the global conspiracy, which involves the Obamas, Bushes, Clintons, Rothschilds, George Soros, the late John McCain, and others. The theory originates from the toxic message board 4chan, where an anonymous user with the pseudonym "Q" has been posting clues related to the conspiracy theory since 2017.
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/ar ... s-11347813
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:Just wait until the millenials in charge, assuming they still read, find out that John Adams represented the British soldiers who fired into the crowd during the British Massacre. Good-bye Adams House. :coffee:
Not to mention that the unarmed Crispus Attucks was heard to be saying "Hands up don't shoot!"
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
Mesa College English Professor Showed QAnon Video in Class, Students Say

An English professor at Mesa Community College kicked off the fall semester by showing his classes a YouTube video spreading a far-right conspiracy theory, according to four students.

The 14-minute video shown by adjunct professor Douglas Belmore in at least two classes promoted QAnon, an online community that subscribes to the theory that a cabal of satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles has infiltrated the American government, media, and entertainment industry.

President Donald Trump, according to QAnon, has been secretly working to arrest the perpetrators of the global conspiracy, which involves the Obamas, Bushes, Clintons, Rothschilds, George Soros, the late John McCain, and others. The theory originates from the toxic message board 4chan, where an anonymous user with the pseudonym "Q" has been posting clues related to the conspiracy theory since 2017.
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/ar ... s-11347813
Don’t go all Spandos on us, Jelly. Not a good way to rebuild your credibility around here.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Ivytalk wrote:
Don’t go all Spandos on us, Jelly. Not a good way to rebuild your credibility around here.
:suspicious:

:rofl:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Georgia Southern students get triggered by a speaker and her book book. Burn burning ensues.
An author scheduled to speak at Georgia Southern’s Armstrong campus on Thursday canceled her scheduled event after an incident during her Wednesday appearance at the university’s Statesboro campus that resulted in several people who appeared to be students being videoed burning her book following the lecture.

Outrage from students and alumni of Georgia Southern under the #southernnotstate hashtag on Twitter followed the incident after video surfaced of students at the Statesboro campus burning a visiting author’s book after she discussed white privilege during her lecture and questions and answers.

On Wednesday, Latina author and New York Times contributor Jennine Capó Crucet discussed her book, “Make Your Home Among Strangers,” to an audience of freshmen students at the Statesboro campus. The book, which is required reading for some Georgia Southern Freshman Year Experience classes, follows a Cuban-American student going to college at a predominantly white educational institution.
https://www.savannahnow.com/news/201910 ... oro-campus

also, can't help but post a pic
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

Attractive women are the most privileged group there is. :nod:
Celebrate Diversity.*
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Georgia Southern students get triggered by a speaker and her book book. Burn burning ensues.
An author scheduled to speak at Georgia Southern’s Armstrong campus on Thursday canceled her scheduled event after an incident during her Wednesday appearance at the university’s Statesboro campus that resulted in several people who appeared to be students being videoed burning her book following the lecture.

Outrage from students and alumni of Georgia Southern under the #southernnotstate hashtag on Twitter followed the incident after video surfaced of students at the Statesboro campus burning a visiting author’s book after she discussed white privilege during her lecture and questions and answers.

On Wednesday, Latina author and New York Times contributor Jennine Capó Crucet discussed her book, “Make Your Home Among Strangers,” to an audience of freshmen students at the Statesboro campus. The book, which is required reading for some Georgia Southern Freshman Year Experience classes, follows a Cuban-American student going to college at a predominantly white educational institution.
https://www.savannahnow.com/news/201910 ... oro-campus
From the tweets ...
"White people need to realize that they are the problem and that their privilege is toxic"

Isn't it racist to stereotype an entire group based on the color of their skin?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

She looks pretty damned white to me...

:shock:

a pair of Islamic earrings don't make you brown

This is brown / scroll back and forth between these two women and find the white one
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
UNI88 wrote:From the tweets ...
"White people need to realize that they are the problem and that their privilege is toxic"

Isn't it racist to stereotype an entire group based on the color of their skin?
Oh the horror. Her books should be burned. I'm going to go out and buy a case and burn them in my driveway tomorrow
Oh Ahab, I'm not you're great white whale.

Where did I support the burnings? Protesting her speaking and burning her books is just as idiotic and contrary to intellectual development as chasing away Milo or Ben Shapiro. It's not what college should be about. You might not be college material if you can't handle differing opinions.

I just like to point it out when people think racism is acceptable because it's not really racism if the victims are white people. It's more evidence for my opinion that it isn't about equality, it's about "you had your turn, now it's our turn and you need to step aside or we're going to push you out of the way and step on your entitled, toxic face."

Also, nice try but a little slow deleting your post.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm