Page 217 of 222

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:28 pm
by BDKJMU
GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:45 am
SDHornet wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:28 am Frame by frame photos of that shooting at the protest in Denver over the weekend.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/10/12/d ... -sequence/
Couldn't get by the paywall - any synopsis?
There shouldn’t be a paywall. Isn’t for me.

If a news station is goung to hire an armed security guard, why would they at not least check to see if he was licensed...as an armed security guard.. :suspicious:
A private security company and a television station in Colorado which hired an unlicensed security guard could face criminal charges after the man shot dead a Navy veteran while protecting a TV crew on Saturday afternoon.

The incident happened near Denver's Civic Center Park, as protesters filed out of the park following the demonstrations - a 'Patriot Muster' and a 'BLM-Antifa Soup Drive' counterprotest.

Dolloff was working for the security company Pinkerton, and 9News contracted Pinkerton to provide protection for their TV crew, covering the demonstrations.

He claims Keltner reached inside his shirt which scared him and prompted him to shoot.

Extraordinary photographs from the shooting show him spraying Dolloff with mace then being shot dead.

On Monday afternoon the Denver City Attorney's Office told CBS4: 'Licensed security guard employers that hire unlicensed security guards could face disciplinary actions against their licenses ranging from a fine, to suspension, to revocation.

'Businesses could also face criminal charges for permitting or directing an unlicensed person to perform security services.

'Regarding Matthew Dolloff, there could be civil or criminal actions taken, or both, against Mr Dolloff, Pinkerton, 9News, and/or any other entity that hired and deployed Dolloff in an unlicensed security guard capacity.'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... oting.html

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:55 pm
by SDHornet
GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:45 am
SDHornet wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:28 am Frame by frame photos of that shooting at the protest in Denver over the weekend.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/10/12/d ... -sequence/
Couldn't get by the paywall - any synopsis?
Trump supporter shot at near point blank range in the face and died on the spot. Shooter was supposedly a security contractor hired by a local news station. More idiots being idiots.

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:58 pm
by JohnStOnge
Just saw something interesting. White watching TV I saw it stated that Barack Obama has more Twitter followers than Trump does. The numbers given were 123 million vs. 87 million. So I looked it up to confirm it's true. It's true. But, beyond that, while Obama is #1 on the Twitter followers list, Trump is not #2. He is #7. Here are the others he's behind:

#6 Taylor Swift
#5 Cristiano Ronaldo (never heard of him)
#4 Rihanna
#3 Katy Perry
#2 Justin Bieber

I must admit that, if you'd asked me to guess before I saw the numbers, I'd have guessed Trump. But no.

List is at https://www.brandwatch.com/blog/most-twitter-followers/.

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:09 pm
by JohnStOnge
SDHornet wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:55 pm
GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:45 am

Couldn't get by the paywall - any synopsis?
Trump supporter shot at near point blank range in the face and died on the spot. Shooter was supposedly a security contractor hired by a local news station. More idiots being idiots.
True. One DOES have to be an idiot to attack somebody with mace when they have a gun.

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:27 pm
by JohnStOnge
Here's another good one:

https://taxfoundation.org/tariffs-trump-trade-war/
We estimate that the Trump administration’s imposition of tariffs, along with retaliatory actions taken by our trading partners, will reduce economic output, income, and employment.
BTW, the source I use to check on bias and accuracy has "Tax Foundation" as a "Right-Center bias" source with a "High" accuracy rating.

See https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/tax-foundation/.

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:48 pm
by SDHornet
JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:09 pm
SDHornet wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:55 pm

Trump supporter shot at near point blank range in the face and died on the spot. Shooter was supposedly a security contractor hired by a local news station. More idiots being idiots.
True. One DOES have to be an idiot to attack somebody with mace when they have a gun.
That's not exactly how it went down. Mace dude was in an argument/confrontation with another person. Gun dude and "reporter" walks up on mace dude, mace dude slaps gun dude. gun dude draws concealed gun and caps mace dude in the face. No idea if a a slap is reason to shot someone, maybe someone who knows a bit of CO law can fill us in.

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:40 am
by GannonFan
JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:58 pm Just saw something interesting. White watching TV I saw it stated that Barack Obama has more Twitter followers than Trump does. The numbers given were 123 million vs. 87 million. So I looked it up to confirm it's true. It's true. But, beyond that, while Obama is #1 on the Twitter followers list, Trump is not #2. He is #7. Here are the others he's behind:

#6 Taylor Swift
#5 Cristiano Ronaldo (never heard of him)
#4 Rihanna
#3 Katy Perry
#2 Justin Bieber

I must admit that, if you'd asked me to guess before I saw the numbers, I'd have guessed Trump. But no.

List is at https://www.brandwatch.com/blog/most-twitter-followers/.
If you don't know who Cristiano Ronaldo is then you shouldn't be commenting on topics like social media presence and pop culture. You're too old. :coffee:

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:15 am
by BDKJMU
GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:40 am
JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:58 pm Just saw something interesting. White watching TV I saw it stated that Barack Obama has more Twitter followers than Trump does. The numbers given were 123 million vs. 87 million. So I looked it up to confirm it's true. It's true. But, beyond that, while Obama is #1 on the Twitter followers list, Trump is not #2. He is #7. Here are the others he's behind:

#6 Taylor Swift
#5 Cristiano Ronaldo (never heard of him)
#4 Rihanna
#3 Katy Perry
#2 Justin Bieber

I must admit that, if you'd asked me to guess before I saw the numbers, I'd have guessed Trump. But no.

List is at https://www.brandwatch.com/blog/most-twitter-followers/.
If you don't know who Cristiano Ronaldo is then you shouldn't be commenting on topics like social media presence and pop culture. You're too old. :coffee:
On that list I hadn’t heard or #4 (or don’t know who she is)..

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:28 am
by GannonFan
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:15 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:40 am

If you don't know who Cristiano Ronaldo is then you shouldn't be commenting on topics like social media presence and pop culture. You're too old. :coffee:
On that list I hadn’t heard or #4 (or don’t know who she is)..
:facepalm:

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:33 am
by CAA Flagship
GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:28 am
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:15 am
On that list I hadn’t heard or #4 (or don’t know who she is)..
:facepalm:
Honestly, Obama is the only one I can pick out of a lineup. I have seen pics of the rest, but when put up against a wall with other similar looking people, I would be guessing. And I consider that a badge of honor. :nod:

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:37 am
by GannonFan
CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:33 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:28 am

:facepalm:
Honestly, Obama is the only one I can pick out of a lineup. I have seen pics of the rest, but when put up against a wall with other similar looking people, I would be guessing. And I consider that a badge of honor. :nod:
Dear lord, do you guys leave the house or turn on a tv or read anything? Pick up a People magazine at least once a year and maybe click on ew.com every now and then, you'll be amazed at the world that's out there. :nod:

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:41 am
by CAA Flagship
GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:37 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:33 am
Honestly, Obama is the only one I can pick out of a lineup. I have seen pics of the rest, but when put up against a wall with other similar looking people, I would be guessing. And I consider that a badge of honor. :nod:
Dear lord, do you guys leave the house or turn on a tv or read anything? Pick up a People magazine at least once a year and maybe click on ew.com every now and then, you'll be amazed at the world that's out there. :nod:
:lol: :lol: That's the world I choose to avoid. :nod:

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:46 am
by CAA Flagship
GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:37 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:33 am
Honestly, Obama is the only one I can pick out of a lineup. I have seen pics of the rest, but when put up against a wall with other similar looking people, I would be guessing. And I consider that a badge of honor. :nod:
Dear lord, do you guys leave the house or turn on a tv or read anything? Pick up a People magazine at least once a year and maybe click on ew.com every now and then, you'll be amazed at the world that's out there. :nod:
:lol: :lol: That's the world I choose to avoid. :nod:

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:45 am
by UNI88
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:15 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:40 am

If you don't know who Cristiano Ronaldo is then you shouldn't be commenting on topics like social media presence and pop culture. You're too old. :coffee:
On that list I hadn’t heard or #4 (or don’t know who she is)..
But you would recognize this guy ...

Image

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:01 pm
by BDKJMU
GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:28 am
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:15 am
On that list I hadn’t heard or #4 (or don’t know who she is)..
:facepalm:
So I looked this Rianna up. I don't listen to R&B/rap/hip hop. So why would I have heard of her?

The main reason I've heard of Bieber is because of my niece and nephew from like a decade ago.
I don't watch soccer other than a little world cup every 4 years if the US is in it. As I recall, the US wasn't in it in 2018, so its been since the 2014 World Cup since have watched any soccer. But I have heard of the soccer player from Spain.
Heard of Katy Perry but couldn't tell you a single song or what if any TV/movies she was in.

Taylor Swift is the only one I could definitely pick out of a lineup.

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:02 pm
by BDKJMU
CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:46 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:37 am

Dear lord, do you guys leave the house or turn on a tv or read anything? Pick up a People magazine at least once a year and maybe click on ew.com every now and then, you'll be amazed at the world that's out there. :nod:
:lol: :lol: That's the world I choose to avoid. :nod:
Exactly.

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:21 pm
by GannonFan
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:01 pm
GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:28 am

:facepalm:
So I looked this Rianna up. I don't listen to R&B/rap/hip hop. So why would I have heard of her?

The main reason I've heard of Bieber is because of my niece and nephew from like a decade ago.
I don't watch soccer other than a little world cup every 4 years if the US is in it. As I recall, the US wasn't in it in 2018, so its been since the 2014 World Cup since have watched any soccer. But I have heard of the soccer player from Spain.
Heard of Katy Perry but couldn't tell you a single song or what if any TV/movies she was in.

Taylor Swift is the only one I could definitely pick out of a lineup.
She (Rihanna) was featured on that TI song ("Live Your Life") that ESPN played all during the NFL Draft maybe 3-4 years ago. And she's had like 14 different #1 singles in the US over the past decade. I think Forbes has her as the richest female musician in the world today. So yeah, she's fairly well known.

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:38 pm
by Baldy
Apparently, the Russians have also hacked Jeffrey Toobin's Zoom.



:lol:

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:49 am
by JoltinJoe
GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:28 am
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:15 am
On that list I hadn’t heard or #4 (or don’t know who she is)..
:facepalm:
Amazing, isn't it.

Maybe if you just said "Ronaldo?" :oops:

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:51 am
by JoltinJoe
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:01 pm
GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:28 am

:facepalm:
So I looked this Rianna up. I don't listen to R&B/rap/hip hop. So why would I have heard of her?

The main reason I've heard of Bieber is because of my niece and nephew from like a decade ago.
I don't watch soccer other than a little world cup every 4 years if the US is in it. As I recall, the US wasn't in it in 2018, so its been since the 2014 World Cup since have watched any soccer. But I have heard of the soccer player from Spain.
Heard of Katy Perry but couldn't tell you a single song or what if any TV/movies she was in.

Taylor Swift is the only one I could definitely pick out of a lineup.
Ronaldo is from Portugal and he plays in Italy now.

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:35 am
by Gil Dobie
According to ESPN, Renaldo is the most famous Athlete in the World. Lebron James #2.

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:49 am
by Pwns
I had never heard of Ronaldo then Wiki'd him and then it made sense. Soccer is probably one thing I know even less a out than pop culture.

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:05 am
by Hambone
Pwns wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:49 am I had never heard of Ronaldo then Wiki'd him and then it made sense. Soccer is probably one thing I know even less a out than pop culture.
For my money Ronaldinho is better than Ronaldo......although I'm not a soccer fan so may not know what the hell I'm talking about.

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:30 am
by GannonFan
Hambone wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:05 am
Pwns wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:49 am I had never heard of Ronaldo then Wiki'd him and then it made sense. Soccer is probably one thing I know even less a out than pop culture.
For my money Ronaldinho is better than Ronaldo......although I'm not a soccer fan so may not know what the hell I'm talking about.
Ronaldinho was good (he's retired now, think he's about 40 years old), but Ronaldo is in a different class. Think Ronaldo is second to only Messi in the Ballon d'Or award (given to the best soccer player that year).

Interesting note to this thread, from 2016 to 2019, Ronaldo was voted the most famous athlete in the world by ESPN. Apparently the voting bloc did not lean heavily on posters from this message board.

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:19 am
by HI54UNI
GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:30 am
Hambone wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:05 am

For my money Ronaldinho is better than Ronaldo......although I'm not a soccer fan so may not know what the hell I'm talking about.
Ronaldinho was good (he's retired now, think he's about 40 years old), but Ronaldo is in a different class. Think Ronaldo is second to only Messi in the Ballon d'Or award (given to the best soccer player that year).

Interesting note to this thread, from 2016 to 2019, Ronaldo was voted the most famous athlete in the world by ESPN. Apparently the voting bloc did not lean heavily on posters from this message board.
Did ESPN allow women to vote? That probably swings the vote some. My wife would know who Ronaldo is but not because she watches soccer.