Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:07 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:48 am

So the US after the Great Depression and WWII is a goal? White men dominated, women were kept in the kitchen making sammies and colored folk knew their "place". You are a MAGAt. Kalm and CG sitting in a tree ... :lol:
:lol: :lol: Yep. Another brilliant logical circle by Klammy….he apparently longs for “the good ol’ days”…

Now that I think about it, has anybody ever seen Klammy and BDK in the same place at the same time?
:tothehand:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes..

IN A RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOOD:
Canton Police Chief Jack Angelo issued a statement Saturday. He said police were investigating a "shots fired" incident six minutes after midnight in the 2300 block of 10th Street.

"When the officer, who was outside of his vehicle, confronted a subject that began shooting a firearm, the officer, in fear for his safety, fired his duty weapon at the subject and struck him," Angelo said.

James Williams was transported to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Her husband used her AR-15 to fire shots into the air. He does not have a concealed carry permit but she does, she said.

"We do this every year because it was New Year’s Eve," she told the paper. "Everybody was shooting (in the neighborhood). It was a tradition. Everybody shoots on New Year’s Eve."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ohio-cops-bo ... tory-shots
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Col Hogan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:35 pm
That’s some serious whiplash there… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Post by bobbythekidd »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:14 pm Play stupid games, win stupid prizes..

Canton Police Chief Jack Angelo issued a statement Saturday. He said police were investigating a "shots fired" incident six minutes after midnight in the 2300 block of 10th Street.

"When the officer, who was outside of his vehicle, confronted a subject that began shooting a firearm, the officer, in fear for his safety, fired his duty weapon at the subject and struck him," Angelo said.

James Williams was transported to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Her husband used her AR-15 to fire shots into the air. He does not have a concealed carry permit but she does, she said.

"We do this every year because it was New Year’s Eve," she told the paper. "Everybody was shooting (in the neighborhood). It was a tradition. Everybody shoots on New Year’s Eve."

Translation: cops kill a black man, that posed no threat, without any repercussions.
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Post by bobbythekidd »

Translation: cops kill a black man, that posed no threat, without any repercussions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

bobbythekidd wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:19 pm

You don‘t need to post it twice, retard. :dunce:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:33 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:49 pm I agree with much of this. But in some really important aspects we are not better off. There are economic lessons to learn from the past and we can do better.

I love this discussion.
A friend posted the following on FaceBook (I've modified to take out info that could be used to identify them).
I took an Uber ride yesterday. My driver was a young black man. The ride started off as most of my solo rides do with some cordial small talk. I quickly learned that Mohamad was from Guinea West Africa and had been in ______ for just under three years. He was driving for Uber and Lyft to maintain the flexibility to take IT and cybersecurity classes at a community college. I complimented him on his command of the English language and casually asked how many languages he spoke. Five. Five?!?!. Yes, five. His native Mandingo, English, and French fluently. Plus a conversational use of Arabic and Lingala, a language native to the Congo that he was mostly learning through his favorite music, ndule, which was an upbeat bouncy almost reggae-like music playing in the car.

I asked him how he liked living in ______ and he immediately beamed with pure joy filling the entire car with a positive vibe. He launched into a ten minute joy filled monolog about what a great city ______ is. So filled with wonderful people and all the opportunities anyone could ever want. He added how the USA is the greatest country in the world and there is no place he'd rather be. He felt truly blessed to be here and was super enthusiastic about his future here and his ultimate dream of becoming a citizen of the USA.

I laughed and said; Thank you for reminding me. I sometimes forget. He agreed and said - "You know most Americans my age seem to take all ______ and this country have to offer for granted. I think it's because they've never known true adversity here. They don't understand how difficult most people where I come from have it in day to day life and the limited opportunities afforded there." He closed his thoughts by again expressing how fortunate he felt to be here. We reached my destination and I thanked him for the ride and wished him a good day. He replied with a resounding; "Thank you Sir and have a great 2022"!

As we enter a new year let's think a little more like Mohamad. Let's be upbeat, positive, and joyously kind to those we encounter every day. Let's remember that we live in the greatest country in the world. One where a positive attitude, an open mind, and a little hustle can create boundless opportunities. I have a hunch Mohamed is going to be very successful here.
We could all benefit from being a little more like Mohamed.
:nod: :clap:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Col Hogan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:35 pm
:lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Insurrection?
Kazakhstan’s government resigned on Wednesday as demonstrators set fire to the capital in protest of rising fuel prices and the political hold of former President Nursultan Nazarbayev.
https://thehill.com/policy/internationa ... to-capital
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:04 pm Insurrection?
Kazakhstan’s government resigned on Wednesday as demonstrators set fire to the capital in protest of rising fuel prices and the political hold of former President Nursultan Nazarbayev.
https://thehill.com/policy/internationa ... to-capital
phpBB [video]
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Why are VP Harris microphones shaped like strap-ons?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:55 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:49 pm

I agree with much of this. But in some really important aspects we are not better off. There are economic lessons to learn from the past and we can do better.

I love this discussion.
And therefore the solution is to radically change our economy and double our debt.

:dunce:
We radically changed our economy in the late 90’s through deregulation. It’s gone swimmingly ever since. :lol:

No one cares about debt.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:32 am
kalm wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:26 am

Yeah…because economic stability and wages that keep up with inflation can only happen in post war periods and during times of
Racism…. :lol:
Still waiting for your solution for economic stability and wages that keep up with inflation (including a definition of what you consider "economic stability" to be, as well as your criteria for measuring wages in relation to inflation across the economic spectrum and the US geography). But you know, details. :coffee:
Is this CS, circa 2013? :lol:

I’m not a details guy. I’m the big picture guy and The Decider. I’ll leave the details up to you pencil pushers. Then I’ll make my decisions.

Measure wages historically and compared to other OECD countries. Measure hyperinflation in key areas like healthcare, education, and rent. Focus on preventing bubbles like we’ve seen in the housing market and now Ed loan industry.

Force Congress critters to recuse themselves from votes on legislation that effects companies they’re invested in. (For starters)

Increase competition through antitrust enforcement and caps on government contracting.

Enable a strong federal auditing department. (GAO but not just reports, DOJ increased focus on corruption, etc). Various WA state auditing agencies (State auditors office, Dep of Revenue, Dept of L&I) are taken seriously by both private businesses and local governments. Actual enforcement, fines, and prosecution. Jail a few CEO’s and elected officials.

Your turn. Give me details. Or are we perfect with no need to change or adapt?

:)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:49 pm I agree with much of this. But in some really important aspects we are not better off. There are economic lessons to learn from the past and we can do better.

I love this discussion.
A friend posted the following on FaceBook (I've modified to take out info that could be used to identify them).
I took an Uber ride yesterday. My driver was a young black man. The ride started off as most of my solo rides do with some cordial small talk. I quickly learned that Mohamad was from Guinea West Africa and had been in ______ for just under three years. He was driving for Uber and Lyft to maintain the flexibility to take IT and cybersecurity classes at a community college. I complimented him on his command of the English language and casually asked how many languages he spoke. Five. Five?!?!. Yes, five. His native Mandingo, English, and French fluently. Plus a conversational use of Arabic and Lingala, a language native to the Congo that he was mostly learning through his favorite music, ndule, which was an upbeat bouncy almost reggae-like music playing in the car.

I asked him how he liked living in ______ and he immediately beamed with pure joy filling the entire car with a positive vibe. He launched into a ten minute joy filled monolog about what a great city ______ is. So filled with wonderful people and all the opportunities anyone could ever want. He added how the USA is the greatest country in the world and there is no place he'd rather be. He felt truly blessed to be here and was super enthusiastic about his future here and his ultimate dream of becoming a citizen of the USA.

I laughed and said; Thank you for reminding me. I sometimes forget. He agreed and said - "You know most Americans my age seem to take all ______ and this country have to offer for granted. I think it's because they've never known true adversity here. They don't understand how difficult most people where I come from have it in day to day life and the limited opportunities afforded there." He closed his thoughts by again expressing how fortunate he felt to be here. We reached my destination and I thanked him for the ride and wished him a good day. He replied with a resounding; "Thank you Sir and have a great 2022"!

As we enter a new year let's think a little more like Mohamad. Let's be upbeat, positive, and joyously kind to those we encounter every day. Let's remember that we live in the greatest country in the world. One where a positive attitude, an open mind, and a little hustle can create boundless opportunities. I have a hunch Mohamed is going to be very successful here.
I was going to reply with smarm and say AAAWWWWW to the feel good story of the year. ;)

But I’ll rise above those shenanigans this time and say I agree. I gratitude is super powerful. So is compassion. Suffering is relative and universal. Those are the ideals that need to guide us.

:thumb:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Some of us already are. :coffee:

Plus saying it annoys illiberals so that is a bonus.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:34 am
I was going to reply with smarm and say AAAWWWWW to the feel good story of the year. ;)

But I’ll rise above those shenanigans this time and say I agree. I gratitude is super powerful. So is compassion. Suffering is relative and universal. Those are the ideals that need to guide us.

:thumb:
Depends on the situation. :poke:

:kisswink:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:10 am
CID1990 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:55 pm
And therefore the solution is to radically change our economy and double our debt.

:dunce:
We radically changed our economy in the late 90’s through deregulation. It’s gone swimmingly ever since. :lol:

No one cares about debt.
Late 90's? Damn Clinton, the great deregulator! :lol:

Deregulation and tax reductions started much earlier and created a wave of innovation (Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon, Tesla, etc.) that has greatly improved our lives and made lots of regular people wealthy. If people chose to invest in 80" TVs, brand new Escalades and the latest iPhone or Samsung every 2 years rather than the market then they have no one to blame but themselves. So yes, it has gone swimmingly.

High school students would benefit from being taught financial management and investing much more than they would CRT.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:57 am

No one cares about debt.

Deregulation and tax reductions started much earlier and created a wave of innovation (Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon, Tesla, etc.) that has greatly improved our lives and made lots of regular people wealthy. If people chose to invest in 80" TVs, brand new Escalades and the latest iPhone or Samsung every 2 years rather than the market then they have no one to blame but themselves. So yes, it has gone swimmingly.

High school students would benefit from being taught financial management and investing much more than they would CRT.
I should see if I can find the article from one of my engineering magazines comparing the innovation rate here in the U.S. to Europe. It really brings to light the advantages we have vs the "peer nations".

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

No one cares about debt.

Yep…Clinton was a neoliberal and master deregulator. It was just a relatively recent and significant example. :thumb:

Agree with the rest but two questions…

1). Can we apply the 80” TV example to financial institutions?

2). Does anyone else benefit from the working class’s materialism fetish?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:01 am

I should see if I can find the article from one of my engineering magazines comparing the innovation rate here in the U.S. to Europe. It really brings to light the advantages we have vs the "peer nations".
That would be a very interesting metric. :nod:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:31 am

Yep…Clinton was a neoliberal and master deregulator. It was just a relatively recent and significant example. :thumb:

Agree with the rest but two questions…

1). Can we apply the 80” TV example to financial institutions?

2). Does anyone else benefit from the working class’s materialism fetish?
1) I don't agree with bailing out banks (or airlines or other major companies) so yes they should learn to live within their means and suffer the consequences of the risks they take so yes the 80" TV example should apply to them as well.

2) IMO our materialism fetish is a Ponzi scheme that will crash eventually. We're better off ending it of our own accord and sooner rather than later regardless of how painful it will be.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:36 am
Winterborn wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:01 am

Unfortunately it was back when I was receiving paper copies of the ASME magazine and searching their digital archive based on what I remember hasn't turned up anything helpful but I will keep jogging the old brain, as it is an article I should have saved for reference.

Gist of the article was a comparison of innovation and disruptive technologies between the U.S. and the rest of the world (mainly Europe). The article delved into business environments in both locations and how the education system helps foster innovation.

Based on memory, Europe places unnecessary hurdles (regulations) that businesses, especially start ups, have a very difficult time overcoming. This leads to less small new businesses and only incremental innovation by established business, as they are only able to absorb some of the risk. The leader by far in Europe is Germany and German companies. Followed, and more than a bit behind, by Brittan and the Scandinavian countries. The U.S. has more innovation incrementally and by far more disruptive. Prime examples of disruptive innovation is companies like Google, Facebook, Amazon, Ebay, Microsoft, Tesla, and SpaceX. These companies have shaped the world and how we view it. In the article they quoted a few people both from the EU parliament and German officials. The politicians from the EU stated that this is something they have noticed and were looking at. Germany took it a step further and has started placing incubators in certain colleges and linking them up with established business and putting in a hybrid model where the college and business gets the revenue and helps students build upon their ideas.

What they (Europe) realized was that the U.S., while not that far ahead in incremental innovation, was by far the leader in the disruptive technology areas and if they wanted to keep companies (tax money) in the EU they needed to do something. The German model is loosely based on what we have been doing for decades here in the U.S. and have really ramped up in the last 15 years or so with innovation centers and the collaboration between colleges and students, and the opportunities to pitch ideas to investors. Our business climate is much more friendly to start-ups from a regulation and cost perspective. From a cost side Europe was always the most expensive followed by the U.S., then China, then the rest of the world. One could argue that the U.S. and Europe are a bit closer now than back when the article was written (along with China being more expensive as well).

Their metrics that they used were patents filed, who filed the patents, and what happened afterwards. They also discussed manufacturing differences from a regulatory and costing among the different regions.

Based on my personal experience is that the only country with a shot at becoming better at disruptive innovation is Germany, though their mindset tends to be more on the details and having a superb product than taking a chance (they make some phenomenal cars). Anal retentive describes more than a few German engineers I have worked with. :lol: And do not get me started on Italian engineers. :ohno:

If one word could be used to describe EU politicians, it is the word "busybody". Always coming up with new tweaks and rules to justify their job. The rest of the countries listed no longer have the mindset to do so (or are loosing it), and their population is content to live the easy life. They do not have the drive that pushes people here in the U.S. to look outside of the box.

Which is why I laughed when you called them our "peer". The very things people try and heap praise on them for, is what is contributing to their "brain drain", IMHO. The freedom we have here in the U.S., combined with the opportunity for reward (and consequences of failure), creates a drive that is almost impossible to replicate elsewhere.

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Winterborn wrote:

Some of us already are. :coffee:

Plus saying it annoys illiberals so that is a bonus.
Add common sense in there and heads’ll really explode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:25 am
kalm wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:36 am

Unfortunately it was back when I was receiving paper copies of the ASME magazine and searching their digital archive based on what I remember hasn't turned up anything helpful but I will keep jogging the old brain, as it is an article I should have saved for reference.

Gist of the article was a comparison of innovation and disruptive technologies between the U.S. and the rest of the world (mainly Europe). The article delved into business environments in both locations and how the education system helps foster innovation.

Based on memory, Europe places unnecessary hurdles (regulations) that businesses, especially start ups, have a very difficult time overcoming. This leads to less small new businesses and only incremental innovation by established business, as they are only able to absorb some of the risk. The leader by far in Europe is Germany and German companies. Followed, and more than a bit behind, by Brittan and the Scandinavian countries. The U.S. has more innovation incrementally and by far more disruptive. Prime examples of disruptive innovation is companies like Google, Facebook, Amazon, Ebay, Microsoft, Tesla, and SpaceX. These companies have shaped the world and how we view it. In the article they quoted a few people both from the EU parliament and German officials. The politicians from the EU stated that this is something they have noticed and were looking at. Germany took it a step further and has started placing incubators in certain colleges and linking them up with established business and putting in a hybrid model where the college and business gets the revenue and helps students build upon their ideas.

What they (Europe) realized was that the U.S., while not that far ahead in incremental innovation, was by far the leader in the disruptive technology areas and if they wanted to keep companies (tax money) in the EU they needed to do something. The German model is loosely based on what we have been doing for decades here in the U.S. and have really ramped up in the last 15 years or so with innovation centers and the collaboration between colleges and students, and the opportunities to pitch ideas to investors. Our business climate is much more friendly to start-ups from a regulation and cost perspective. From a cost side Europe was always the most expensive followed by the U.S., then China, then the rest of the world. One could argue that the U.S. and Europe are a bit closer now than back when the article was written (along with China being more expensive as well).

Their metrics that they used were patents filed, who filed the patents, and what happened afterwards. They also discussed manufacturing differences from a regulatory and costing among the different regions.

Based on my personal experience is that the only country with a shot at becoming better at disruptive innovation is Germany, though their mindset tends to be more on the details and having a superb product than taking a chance (they make some phenomenal cars). Anal retentive describes more than a few German engineers I have worked with. :lol: And do not get me started on Italian engineers. :ohno:

If one word could be used to describe EU politicians, it is the word "busybody". Always coming up with new tweaks and rules to justify their job. The rest of the countries listed no longer have the mindset to do so (or are loosing it), and their population is content to live the easy life. They do not have the drive that pushes people here in the U.S. to look outside of the box.

Which is why I laughed when you called them our "peer". The very things people try and heap praise on them for, is what is contributing to their "brain drain", IMHO. The freedom we have here in the U.S., combined with the opportunity for reward (and consequences of failure), creates a drive that is almost impossible to replicate elsewhere.
This is a huge reason why I think the global warming solutions need to turn away from punishment and towards rewarding innovations to solve the perceived problems.

Stop saying, "you're a piece of shit because" and taxing them, to rewarding them for innovative solutions.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz