Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Political discussions
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:00 pm Gen Mike Milley on critical race theory and how it’s the downfall of polite society...

Hasn’t been a good year for Matt Gaetz, has it? :lol:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:00 pm Gen Mike Milley on critical race theory and how it’s the downfall of polite society...

:lol: I saw that yesterday. Gen. Milley put forth a logical argument and all Big Head Matt can do is shake that massive dome of his. Gaetz is a punk.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:55 am

Hasn’t been a good year for Matt Gaetz, has it? :lol:
It hasn't been a blockbuster year for him.

His Blockbuster stock is way down....
Spoiler: show
Stole that joke from The Office.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Apparently both sides want to defund the police... :suspicious:

“On Fox News Sunday, Banks repeatedly attacked the so-called “Squad” of young progressive women in the House and said Democrats “stigmatised” law enforcement and helped criminals.

“Let me push back on that a little bit,” Wallace said. “Because [this week] the president said that the central part in his anti-crime package is the $350bn in the American Rescue Plan, the Covid relief plan that was passed.”

Covid relief passed through Congress in March, under rules that meant it did not require Republican votes. It did not get a single one.

Asked if that meant it was “you and the Republicans who are defunding the police”, Banks dodged the question.

Wallace said: “No, no, sir, respectfully – wait, sir, respectfully … I’m asking you, there’s $350bn in this package the president says can be used for policing …

“Congressman Banks, let me finish and I promise I will give you a chance to answer. The president is saying cities and states can use this money to hire more police officers, invest in new technologies and develop summer job training and recreation programs for young people. Respectfully, I’ve heard your point about the last year, but you and every other Republican voted against this $350bn.”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/ ... EDBrbo9LIU
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Before there was Marjorie Taylor Greene, there was Cynthia McKinny. :lol:

Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Pwns wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:44 pm Before there was Marjorie Taylor Greene, there was Cynthia McKinny. :lol:

That name sounds familiar...her wiki is gold
Cynthia Ann McKinney (born March 17, 1955) is an American antisemite, conspiracy theorist, 9/11 "truther", politician, activist, and assistant professor at North South University, Bangladesh.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynthia_McKinney
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:38 am Apparently both sides want to defund the police... :suspicious:

“On Fox News Sunday, Banks repeatedly attacked the so-called “Squad” of young progressive women in the House and said Democrats “stigmatised” law enforcement and helped criminals.

“Let me push back on that a little bit,” Wallace said. “Because [this week] the president said that the central part in his anti-crime package is the $350bn in the American Rescue Plan, the Covid relief plan that was passed.”

Covid relief passed through Congress in March, under rules that meant it did not require Republican votes. It did not get a single one.

Asked if that meant it was “you and the Republicans who are defunding the police”, Banks dodged the question.

Wallace said: “No, no, sir, respectfully – wait, sir, respectfully … I’m asking you, there’s $350bn in this package the president says can be used for policing …

“Congressman Banks, let me finish and I promise I will give you a chance to answer. The president is saying cities and states can use this money to hire more police officers, invest in new technologies and develop summer job training and recreation programs for young people. Respectfully, I’ve heard your point about the last year, but you and every other Republican voted against this $350bn.”

Straw man, or whatever. They voted against the BILL, which INCLUDED the $350B for police funding….they weren’t voting specifically against police funding. That’s is light years removed from saying “defund the police” and ACTUALLY defunding the police like the left is doing.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:Apparently both sides want to defund the police... :suspicious:

What a moronic talking point

You haven’t read the bill, have you?

Nowhere in the entire text do the words “police” or “law enforcement” appear. Biden said that states, if they chose to, could redirect funds provided for COVID relief to law enforcement.

Which States that currently have city councils pushing for defunding do you think will use the funds that way? Hint: Its zero, klam

Which States have already or are now pushing to defund their *state* police forces? Again, zero.

BTW - the White House is also claiming in the same breath that it is COVID that has driven the defunding of police departments - yet another whopper

Straight from Jen Psaki’s mouth to you and Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:14 pm
kalm wrote:Apparently both sides want to defund the police... :suspicious:

Nowhere in the entire text do the words “police” or “law enforcement” appear. Biden said that states, if they chose to, could redirect funds provided for COVID relief to law enforcement.

Which States that currently have city councils pushing for defunding do you think will use the funds that way? Hint: Its zero, klam

Which States have already or are now pushing to defund their *state* police forces? Again, zero.

BTW - the White House is also claiming in the same breath that it is COVID that has driven the defunding of police departments - yet another whopper

The current administration has apparently decided that just flat out lying seemed to work for the previous administration, so they'll do the same if the situation presents itself.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:35 pm
CID1990 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:14 pm

The current administration has apparently decided that just flat out lying seemed to work for the previous administration, so they'll do the same if the situation presents itself.
Because they know the msm will carry their water for them...just like they did the last time...
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

The truest thing Trump ever said in office was how the media would be hurt if his presidency ended.

https://www.axios.com/partisan-media-bi ... c661f.html
Celebrate Diversity.*
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Pwns wrote:The truest thing Trump ever said in office was how the media would be hurt if his presidency ended.

https://www.axios.com/partisan-media-bi ... c661f.html
CNN should hire him as a contributor

In other news, CNN can be congratulated for getting him the GOP nomination and the eventual win in the general. They only gave him millions in free campaign advertising

And having not learned their lesson, they’ve got DeSantis front and center.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Not good. :ohno:

“HONG KONG — With each passing day, the boundary between Hong Kong and the rest of China fades faster.

The Chinese Communist Party is remaking this city, permeating its once vibrant, irreverent character with ever more overt signs of its authoritarian will. The very texture of daily life is under assault as Beijing molds Hong Kong into something more familiar, more docile.

Residents now swarm police hotlines with reports about disloyal neighbors or colleagues. Teachers have been told to imbue students with patriotic fervor through 48-volume book sets called “My Home Is in China.” Public libraries have removed dozens of books from circulation, including one about the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Nelson Mandela.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/29/worl ... _HYjTadVlM
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:14 am Not good. :ohno:

“HONG KONG — With each passing day, the boundary between Hong Kong and the rest of China fades faster.

The Chinese Communist Party is remaking this city, permeating its once vibrant, irreverent character with ever more overt signs of its authoritarian will. The very texture of daily life is under assault as Beijing molds Hong Kong into something more familiar, more docile.

Residents now swarm police hotlines with reports about disloyal neighbors or colleagues. Teachers have been told to imbue students with patriotic fervor through 48-volume book sets called “My Home Is in China.” Public libraries have removed dozens of books from circulation, including one about the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Nelson Mandela.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/29/worl ... _HYjTadVlM
Marxists don't like MLK. Even American Marxists.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/ikea- ... index.html
IKEA Canada has unveiled a series of colorful couches inspired by different Pride flags, including those representing the transgender, nonbinary and asexual communities.

:roll: The twitter comments / jokes are pretty good

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

First day weed is legal to smoke and grow in Virginia, and possess up to a certain amount.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:20 am First day weed is legal to smoke and grow in Virginia, and possess up to a certain amount.
Well there goes the neighborhood. Nice knowin’ ya! :lol:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Do people still "smoke" weed?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... ls/619332/
Late in the evening on Christmas Day, the lawyer and Donald Trump loyalist Lin Wood tweeted an elaborate infographic stating his views about the upcoming U.S. Senate runoff election in Georgia. The final tally would be corrupted by Dominion voting machines, it said, and the only way to expose the fraud would be to boycott the election. That would “break the algorithm” by producing a result in which the GOP candidates would receive fewer than zero votes—and then the Supreme Court would have “no choice” but to overturn the presidential election, while someone would have no choice but to arrest Georgia Governor Brian Kemp, as well as Republican Senator Kelly Loeffler and the other GOP candidate, David Perdue. “I just want an HONEST election,” Wood wrote above the image. “Don’t you?”

The next day, on Reddit, the members of a vaguely leftist community called r/ParlerTrick started celebrating. One of them had created the infographic out of whole cloth, with the hopes that it would be picked up in right-wing internet spaces and persuade Trump supporters not to vote in the runoff. That Wood had come across it and shared it himself was a far wilder result than they could have hoped for.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Idiots.

I'll post the picture from my phone later - my wife sent a screenshot from FB where the local MAGA crowd got some fake news (George Soros is paying for the truck and golf carts used in our small town July 4th Parade. :roll: ) and are going to ruin the Parade b/c they're "Patriots."
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:43 am https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... ls/619332/
Late in the evening on Christmas Day, the lawyer and Donald Trump loyalist Lin Wood tweeted an elaborate infographic stating his views about the upcoming U.S. Senate runoff election in Georgia. The final tally would be corrupted by Dominion voting machines, it said, and the only way to expose the fraud would be to boycott the election. That would “break the algorithm” by producing a result in which the GOP candidates would receive fewer than zero votes—and then the Supreme Court would have “no choice” but to overturn the presidential election, while someone would have no choice but to arrest Georgia Governor Brian Kemp, as well as Republican Senator Kelly Loeffler and the other GOP candidate, David Perdue. “I just want an HONEST election,” Wood wrote above the image. “Don’t you?”

The next day, on Reddit, the members of a vaguely leftist community called r/ParlerTrick started celebrating. One of them had created the infographic out of whole cloth, with the hopes that it would be picked up in right-wing internet spaces and persuade Trump supporters not to vote in the runoff. That Wood had come across it and shared it himself was a far wilder result than they could have hoped for.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Idiots.

I'll post the picture from my phone later - my wife sent a screenshot from FB where the local MAGA crowd got some fake news (George Soros is paying for the truck and golf carts used in our small town July 4th Parade. :roll: ) and are going to ruin the Parade b/c they're "Patriots."
This is the Republican Party right now. :nod:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Boeing 737 crashes off coast of Hawaii.
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/7839679002
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:18 pm Boeing 737 crashes off coast of Hawaii.
So what?

Cargo plane.

Both pilots rescued.

No mass carnage.

Try harder. :tothehand:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

She really makes you proud to be a donk, huh?

Celebrate Diversity.*
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ivytalk wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:59 am
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:18 pm Boeing 737 crashes off coast of Hawaii.
So what?

Cargo plane.

Both pilots rescued.

No mass carnage.

Try harder. :tothehand:
My statement was 100% correct.. :coffee:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Pwns wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:04 am She really makes you proud to be a donk, huh?