Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Baldy »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:02 am
Baldy wrote: Most likely not.
I believe Warren was elected.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Interesting. I don't think most states do it that way, but looking at Florida law...
Article IV, Section 7(a), states that the Governor “may suspend from office any state officer not subject to impeachment, … any county officer, for malfeasance, misfeasance, neglect of duty, drunkenness, incompetence, permanent inability to perform official duties, or commission of a felony, and may fill the office by appointment for the period of suspension.”
Add on top of that the Warren's use of a state issued device for political purposes.....He Gone.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Baldy wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:42 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:02 am I believe Warren was elected.
Interesting. I don't think most states do it that way, but looking at Florida law...
Article IV, Section 7(a), states that the Governor “may suspend from office any state officer not subject to impeachment, … any county officer, for malfeasance, misfeasance, neglect of duty, drunkenness, incompetence, permanent inability to perform official duties, or commission of a felony, and may fill the office by appointment for the period of suspension.”
Add on top of that the Warren's use of a state issued device for political purposes.....He Gone.
:nod: Use of government devices or facilities for campaign activity is a big no-no in every state I've lived in.

Comparing Warren with sheriffs that refused to enforce mask mandates would appear to still be valid though.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

This has been one of the most delicious political stories over at least the last several years.

DC and New York should be thanking Greg Abbott for helping to diversify and culturally enrich them. :lol:

Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:04 pm
Baldy wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:42 pm

:nod: Use of government devices or facilities for campaign activity is a big no-no in every state I've lived in.

Comparing Warren with sheriffs that refused to enforce mask mandates would appear to still be valid though.
Sheriffs in most states I would assume are tasked with enforcing state and local laws in the criminal code that have been legislatively passed. Were any of those mask mandates actually state laws passed by the their respective legislatures?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:04 pm :nod: Use of government devices or facilities for campaign activity is a big no-no in every state I've lived in.

Sheriffs in most states I would assume are tasked with enforcing state and local laws in the criminal code that have been legislatively passed. Were any of those mask mandates actually state laws passed by the their respective legislatures?
So it isn't insubordination to ignore and refuse to enforce an executive order?

It's all about ideology. If it were about abortion or gender you'd be bitching up a storm if an elected official ignored an executive order.

I can respect consistency, I can't respect hypocrisy no matter what logical pretzels someone twists themselves into to justify it.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:13 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sheriffs in most states I would assume are tasked with enforcing state and local laws in the criminal code that have been legislatively passed. Were any of those mask mandates actually state laws passed by the their respective legislatures?

It's all about ideology. If it were about abortion or gender you'd be bitching up a storm if an elected official ignored an executive order.

I can respect consistency, I can't respect hypocrisy no matter what logical pretzels someone twists themselves into to justify it.

Abortions has been adjudicated by the Supreme Court. Executive orders are not codified.

Is it insubordination to allow 7, 8, 11 miles over the speed limit? Or should cops pull over and ticket every single driver driving even 1 mile over? I mean, they’re “refusing to enforce a law’….
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Pwns wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:39 pm This has been one of the most delicious political stories over at least the last several years.

DC and New York should be thanking Greg Abbott for helping to diversify and culturally enrich them. :lol:

It IS rich in its irony. Fucking donks playing checkers, Conks playing 3-D chess. :nod: :rofl:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:30 am
UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:13 pm So it isn't insubordination to ignore and refuse to enforce an executive order?

Abortions has been adjudicated by the Supreme Court. Executive orders are not codified.

Is it insubordination to allow 7, 8, 11 miles over the speed limit? Or should cops pull over and ticket every single driver driving even 1 mile over? I mean, they’re “refusing to enforce a law’….
So selectively enforcing the law is ok and Warren shouldn't have been removed?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:54 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:30 am

So selectively enforcing the law is ok and Warren shouldn't have been removed?
:nod:

Rittenhouse was acquitted in a court of law. Innocent.

Trump lost 60 court cases. How can we trust elections?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:13 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sheriffs in most states I would assume are tasked with enforcing state and local laws in the criminal code that have been legislatively passed. Were any of those mask mandates actually state laws passed by the their respective legislatures?

Wrong. Where have I bitched about sheriffs not enfocing exec orders?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:27 am
UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:13 pm So it isn't insubordination to ignore and refuse to enforce an executive order?

"If it were about abortion or gender you'd be" Reading comprehension is important.

A sheriff refusing to enforce the law has definite similarities to a state prosecutor (Warren) refusing to enforce the law. You're ok with one and not the other because of ideology not respect for law and rule.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:24 am
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:27 am
"If it were about abortion or gender you'd be" Reading comprehension is important.

A sheriff refusing to enforce the law has definite similarities to a state prosecutor (Warren) refusing to enforce the law. You're ok with one and not the other because of ideology not respect for law and rule.
Wrong on the abortion aspect. I really don’t care much about abortion, other than it being a states rights’ issue. And I don’t really see a gender scenario vis a vi a sheriff.

If you’re referring to that FL state prosecutor, he was refusing to enforce FL state statutory law. A mask mandate isn’t state law, but an exec order. So again fail.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDnitpicKerJMU wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:10 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:24 am

Wrong on the abortion aspect. I really don’t care much about abortion, other than it being a states rights’ issue. And I don’t really see a gender scenario vis a vi a sheriff.

If you’re referring to that FL state prosecutor, he was refusing to enforce FL state statutory law. A mask mandate isn’t state law, but an exec order. So again fail.
There are processes used to issue executive orders and processes to be followed to overturn them, ignoring them isn't an option. Sheriffs and other elected officials ignoring them because they disagree with them isn't that different from a prosecutor ignoring a law that he disagrees with. You're nitpicking to justify your inconsistency.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNIstretchingthetruth88 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:43 am
BDnitpicKerJMU wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:10 am

There are processes used to issue executive orders and processes to be followed to overturn them, ignoring them isn't an option. Sheriffs and other elected officials ignoring them because they disagree with them isn't that different from a prosecutor ignoring a law that he disagrees with. You're nitpicking to justify your inconsistency.
Equating a law with a mandate is apples to oranges..
Last edited by BDKJMU on Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:59 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:43 am
That still doesn't mean officials get to pick and choose which executive orders they want to enforce.

BDK twisting himself into a logical pretzel ...
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:11 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:59 am
That still doesn't mean officials get to pick and choose which executive orders they want to enforce.

BDK twisting himself into a logical pretzel ...
Wrong. I’ve been logically consistent. There’s no comparison to laws verus exec mandates. A Gov isn’t a king.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

You love to see it.

Truth is, Trump owes McConnell for enabling his only major accomplishment (three SCOTUS judges for a one term POTUS). :coffee:
Former President Trump on Wednesday called on Republicans to boot Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) from his post as Senate minority leader, accusing the senator of being a “pawn for the Democrats.”

In a statement, Trump cited a Wednesday story from The Federalist about McConnell and his wife Elaine Chao’s alleged ties to China in calling for the senator’s ouster from his longtime leadership post.

“Mitch McConnell is not an Opposition Leader, he is a pawn for the Democrats to get whatever they want,” Trump said in his statement. “He is afraid of them, and will not do what has to be done. A new Republican Leader in the Senate should be picked immediately!”

Trump has feuded with McConnell, who he has dubbed “Old Crow,” since the Senate leader denounced the former president in Congress for his role in the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Over the weekend, the former president slammed McConnell for making remarks last week about “candidate quality,” in a reference to Republicans running for Senate, a number of whom were hand-picked by Trump. McConnell has said the race for Senate control in November will be close.

Trump also took a dig at Chao, his former Transportation secretary who resigned from office one day after the Jan. 6 attack, calling her McConnell’s “crazy wife.” In Wednesday’s message, he called her “Coco.”

Last year, Trump also called for Republicans to select a new Senate leader to boost the party’s chances of retaking Congress in 2022.
https://thehill.com/homenews/3614769-tr ... mediately/
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:00 pm You love to see it.

Truth is, Trump owes McConnell for enabling his only major accomplishment (three SCOTUS judges for a one term POTUS). :coffee:
Former President Trump on Wednesday called on Republicans to boot Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) from his post as Senate minority leader, accusing the senator of being a “pawn for the Democrats.”

In a statement, Trump cited a Wednesday story from The Federalist about McConnell and his wife Elaine Chao’s alleged ties to China in calling for the senator’s ouster from his longtime leadership post.

“Mitch McConnell is not an Opposition Leader, he is a pawn for the Democrats to get whatever they want,” Trump said in his statement. “He is afraid of them, and will not do what has to be done. A new Republican Leader in the Senate should be picked immediately!”

Trump has feuded with McConnell, who he has dubbed “Old Crow,” since the Senate leader denounced the former president in Congress for his role in the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Over the weekend, the former president slammed McConnell for making remarks last week about “candidate quality,” in a reference to Republicans running for Senate, a number of whom were hand-picked by Trump. McConnell has said the race for Senate control in November will be close.
Trump also took a dig at Chao, his former Transportation secretary who resigned from office one day after the Jan. 6 attack, calling her McConnell’s “crazy wife.” In Wednesday’s message, he called her “Coco.”

Last year, Trump also called for Republicans to select a new Senate leader to boost the party’s chances of retaking Congress in 2022.
https://thehill.com/homenews/3614769-tr ... mediately/
:dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Thank goodness. I was getting sick of the constant lynchings in this country and having nobody do anything about it. :roll:

Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

Holy fucking cow. These people will lie about anything. :lol:
Thanking environazis for the push to nuclear is like thanking Mao and Stalin for population control.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Oh.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

I have some ocean front property in SD I can sell you if anybody buys this explanation.
CBS News has a big scoop this afternoon. The industry group that sets international standards for credit card companies has decided to create a new code for the purchase of guns and ammo that, while not identifying the exact purchases, will separate those items from the more generic category they had been lumped in with previously.

Merchant category codes are made up of four digits and are used across all sorts of industries as a means to classify retailers, while not revealing individual product purchases. Credit card companies currently lump firearm retailers in with other outlets, classifying them as either “5999: Miscellaneous retail stores” or “5941: Sporting Goods Stores.”

With a new code for firearms merchants, potentially suspicious purchasing patterns could be flagged to law enforcement — much the same way banks and credit unions made more than 1.4 million suspicious activity reports in 2021 for other types of transactions that might suggest anything from identity theft to terrorist financing.
https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2022/09/09/ ... mo-n495512
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote:I have some ocean front property in SD I can sell you if anybody buys this explanation.
CBS News has a big scoop this afternoon. The industry group that sets international standards for credit card companies has decided to create a new code for the purchase of guns and ammo that, while not identifying the exact purchases, will separate those items from the more generic category they had been lumped in with previously.

Merchant category codes are made up of four digits and are used across all sorts of industries as a means to classify retailers, while not revealing individual product purchases. Credit card companies currently lump firearm retailers in with other outlets, classifying them as either “5999: Miscellaneous retail stores” or “5941: Sporting Goods Stores.”

With a new code for firearms merchants, potentially suspicious purchasing patterns could be flagged to law enforcement — much the same way banks and credit unions made more than 1.4 million suspicious activity reports in 2021 for other types of transactions that might suggest anything from identity theft to terrorist financing.
https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2022/09/09/ ... mo-n495512
I don't buy it completely but there is could be some value to it. Chicago gangs used to use straw purchasers who would buy from multiple shops in the surrounding areas. Flagging these people could be a good thing. Unfortunately I don't think they'll limit it to those types of situations.

Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:29 pm Oh.

Is this guy the extreme MAGA we've been warned about? :?