Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:10 pm
kalm wrote:
Leafy greens are important. Kale doesn’t taste great and I prefer spinach, chard, arugula, and cilantro. But a decent kale use as micro-nutrient filler is sauté in garlic and shallots with sausage or mushrooms and add chicken stock for a simple soup.
HOT DAMN I JUST GOT A NEW NICKNAME FOR YOU KLAM

“Simple Soup”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WELL I KNOW HOW FOND YOU ARE OF CREATING CATCHY NICKNAMES SO I THINK YOU SHOULD GO FOR IT!!!

:lol:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

So I am hearing reports that the pipeline leak off the CA coast may have been caused by an anchor from a cargo ship waiting to offload in the port.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

The biblical “sin cities” of Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed by a meteor “cloudburst” that incinerated all 8,000 inhabitants, according to new research. The giant space rock exploded over the town 3,650 years ago, creating a fireball. Scientists say the same event might also have given rise to the tale of Jericho’s walls “tumbling down,” as that city was just 20 miles away.
https://www.studyfinds.org/sodom-gomorr ... ne-meteor/

Really interesting read.

Also - this just gives more credence to the idea that so many miracles and acts of God from the Bible were just naturally events attributed to God b/c the people at the time didn't have the scientific knowledge that we have to do.

The Great Flood, Plagues of Egypt, Parting of the Red Sea...all can be explained with science, geography and an understanding of the purpose of the Bible.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:01 am
The biblical “sin cities” of Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed by a meteor “cloudburst” that incinerated all 8,000 inhabitants, according to new research. The giant space rock exploded over the town 3,650 years ago, creating a fireball. Scientists say the same event might also have given rise to the tale of Jericho’s walls “tumbling down,” as that city was just 20 miles away.

Really interesting read.

Also - this just gives more credence to the idea that so many miracles and acts of God from the Bible were just naturally events attributed to God b/c the people at the time didn't have the scientific knowledge that we have to do.

The Great Flood, Plagues of Egypt, Parting of the Red Sea...all can be explained with science, geography and an understanding of the purpose of the Bible.
Blasphemer! :tothehand:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Really interesting read.

Time to get back to some pervy fucking! :clap:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:32 am

Really interesting read.

Blasphemer! :tothehand:
It's allegorical...not literal! :lol:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:31 am So I am hearing reports that the pipeline leak off the CA coast may have been caused by an anchor from a cargo ship waiting to offload in the port.
Pipeline was encased in concert and partially buried. When divers inspected it, they found out that it had moved 150ft off the original route.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Really interesting read.

And when we die, we will find out who was really right. ;)
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:58 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:31 am So I am hearing reports that the pipeline leak off the CA coast may have been caused by an anchor from a cargo ship waiting to offload in the port.
Pipeline was encased in concert and partially buried. When divers inspected it, they found out that it had moved 150ft off the original route.
IT WAS THE RUSSIANS!
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:16 pm

IT WAS THE RUSSIANS!
I prefer the theory it was Godzilla. :nod:

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Every year that barrel ages, it is taxed again and again and again and again,” he said. “If you’re drinking a bottle of 18-year-old Elijah Craig, that whiskey from that barrel had been taxed 18 times before it was bottled.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/06/bourbon ... ction.html

I didn't know aging spirits were taxed. What BS is that!?

In 2018, China, Mexico, Canada the European Union and the United Kingdom imposed retaliatory tariffs on American whiskey in response to U.S. Section 232 tariffs on steel and aluminum.

Since the imposition of 25% tariffs on American whiskey, exports to the EU, the largest export market for the spirit, plunged 37% from $702 million in 2018 to $440 million in 2020, according to figures provided by the Distilled Spirits Council.

Bourbon exports to the UK, the fourth-largest market for American whiskey, declined by 53% from $150 million in 2018 to $71 million in 2020.

In 2019, a long-running trade battle between U.S. aerospace titan Boeing and European rival Airbus took an anxious turn when the Trump administration imposed a 25% retaliatory tariff on single malt Scotch whisky and single malt Irish whiskey from Northern Ireland, and certain liqueurs and cordials from Europe.

Tit-for-tat retaliatory tariffs across the Atlantic ensued, further exacerbating problems for the bourbon industry.
Thanks, Trump! :thumbdown:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

IT WAS THE RUSSIANS!
I'm hearing it may have been a German ship.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:22 am

IT WAS THE RUSSIANS!
I'm hearing it may have been a German ship.
FAKE NEWS!!!!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:32 am Happy 25th birthday (yesterday)!
https://www.foxnews.com/media/fox-news-channel-25-years
A pox on them and the rest of the idiots in the tabloid industry.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:51 am
Every year that barrel ages, it is taxed again and again and again and again,” he said. “If you’re drinking a bottle of 18-year-old Elijah Craig, that whiskey from that barrel had been taxed 18 times before it was bottled.”

In 2018, China, Mexico, Canada the European Union and the United Kingdom imposed retaliatory tariffs on American whiskey in response to U.S. Section 232 tariffs on steel and aluminum.

Since the imposition of 25% tariffs on American whiskey, exports to the EU, the largest export market for the spirit, plunged 37% from $702 million in 2018 to $440 million in 2020, according to figures provided by the Distilled Spirits Council.

Bourbon exports to the UK, the fourth-largest market for American whiskey, declined by 53% from $150 million in 2018 to $71 million in 2020.

In 2019, a long-running trade battle between U.S. aerospace titan Boeing and European rival Airbus took an anxious turn when the Trump administration imposed a 25% retaliatory tariff on single malt Scotch whisky and single malt Irish whiskey from Northern Ireland, and certain liqueurs and cordials from Europe.

Tit-for-tat retaliatory tariffs across the Atlantic ensued, further exacerbating problems for the bourbon industry.
The Fed collects an excise tax from a distiller when it bottles a barrel of spirits and sells it. If there’s an aging barrell tax then that is a state tax levied by the state of KY.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:43 am

Really interesting read.

Time to get back to some pervy fucking! :clap:
JSO approves.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Really interesting read.

You could see this back during the Christmas tsunami. The locals said it was judgement from God, when science said it was a huge landmass shifting underwater.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

'Watters' World' investigates Nancy Pelosi's financial dealings up to $315 million in assets
"Suddenly, Paul Pelosi got a phone call from his broker. He was in luck," Watters continued. "Paul was offered a prescreened invite to get in early on Visa's $18 billion IPO. Did Nancy and her husband hesitate? No, they bought between $1 million and $5 million worth of Visa stock. But it gets better. While Pelosi was speaker, bills that would have hurt Visa's stock price were blocked in the House. Visa shares going up over 200 percent during the time, making the Pelosis a fortune on paper."

"In January, the Pelosis got a million dollars worth of Tesla stock right before Joe Biden announced electric car incentives in June. The Pelosi family cashed in big time just before Congress was set to pounce on Big Tech. Mr. Pelosi exercised options on Google's parent company, Alphabet, making an easy $5.3 million."
"In March, Paul Pelosi exercised $2 million worth of Microsoft options, just two weeks before the tech giant got a $22 billion contract to equip the US Army with high tech headsets," he said.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

UNI88 wrote:'Watters' World' investigates Nancy Pelosi's financial dealings up to $315 million in assets
"Suddenly, Paul Pelosi got a phone call from his broker. He was in luck," Watters continued. "Paul was offered a prescreened invite to get in early on Visa's $18 billion IPO. Did Nancy and her husband hesitate? No, they bought between $1 million and $5 million worth of Visa stock. But it gets better. While Pelosi was speaker, bills that would have hurt Visa's stock price were blocked in the House. Visa shares going up over 200 percent during the time, making the Pelosis a fortune on paper."

"In January, the Pelosis got a million dollars worth of Tesla stock right before Joe Biden announced electric car incentives in June. The Pelosi family cashed in big time just before Congress was set to pounce on Big Tech. Mr. Pelosi exercised options on Google's parent company, Alphabet, making an easy $5.3 million."
"In March, Paul Pelosi exercised $2 million worth of Microsoft options, just two weeks before the tech giant got a $22 billion contract to equip the US Army with high tech headsets," he said.
Watters is a small L libertarian and that is unfortunate. Until the Dems get themselves a Kristol or a Cheney, nobody is going to listen to who a plurality of people on both sides thinks is a nut because he’s a libertarian.

Aside from that, I look at career comgresscritters on both sides and just assume they are now crooked or have done crooked things in the past. I know Im cynical but Im right more than Im wrong.

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:17 pm
Watters is a small L libertarian and that is unfortunate. Until the Dems get themselves a Kristol or a Cheney, nobody is going to listen to who a plurality of people on both sides thinks is a nut because he’s a libertarian.

Aside from that, I look at career comgresscritters on both sides and just assume they are now crooked or have done crooked things in the past. I know Im cynical but Im right more than Im wrong.

Howsabout 100% right? They either have been, are or will be crooked at some point. Nobody EVER leaves congress poor. Go figure.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:59 pm
CID1990 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:17 pm

Howsabout 100% right? They either have been, are or will be crooked at some point. Nobody EVER leaves congress poor. Go figure.
About a decade plus ago the WSJ did an article on the fastest way to become a millionaire. Their conclusion was to be elected into congress. In an average of a term and a half, our "representatives" were past that point. Really helps when the rules that we have to abide by do not apply to them (stock trading, etc.).

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:11 pm
Ibanez wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:51 am

The Fed collects an excise tax from a distiller when it bottles a barrel of spirits and sells it. If there’s an aging barrell tax then that is a state tax levied by the state of KY.
I know about the excise tax - the aging barrel tax is one I as unaware of. Maybe a real Republican in Kentucky can help the distillers...after all isn't Taxation theft?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:05 am 'Watters' World' investigates Nancy Pelosi's financial dealings up to $315 million in assets

Anyone who thinks there isn't some insider trading going on here is probably dumb enough to believe Anna Nicole Smith married for love. :ohno: But she's there for the middle class, the little people...i'm sure she plans on redistributing those funds. :lol:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:19 am
Anyone who thinks there isn't some insider trading going on here is probably dumb enough to believe Anna Nicole Smith married for love. :ohno: But she's there for the middle class, the little people...i'm sure she plans on redistributing those funds. :lol:
They all do it. The only time they get "punished or caught" is when they get too brazen and obvious.

A buddy, who is a stock broker, and I have had a few conversations about this topic (political insider trading) and if we, as the general public, did what they are allowed to do (what amounts to insider trading), we would be jailed.