Political discussions
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by HI54UNI »

kalm wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:38 pm This guy’s company has been rewarded for doing things right all along. Now he’s giving the $3 billion company away to help fight climate change.

:notworthy:

https://www.businessinsider.com/patagon ... sis-2022-9

Patagonia Billionaire Who Gave Up Company Skirts $700 Million Tax Hit

Founder Yvon Chouinard structured the transfer of his firm in a way that keeps control within the family and avoids taxes.
Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard described his decision to give away the outdoor apparel-maker as his last-ditch effort to do all he could to protect the planet.

The deal is structured in ways that also bring the billionaire other perks, by letting him and his family keep control of Patagonia while shielding them from tax bills that could have totaled hundreds of millions of dollars.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... on-tax-hit
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

HI54UNI wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:33 am
kalm wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:38 pm This guy’s company has been rewarded for doing things right all along. Now he’s giving the $3 billion company away to help fight climate change.

Founder Yvon Chouinard structured the transfer of his firm in a way that keeps control within the family and avoids taxes.
Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard described his decision to give away the outdoor apparel-maker as his last-ditch effort to do all he could to protect the planet.

The deal is structured in ways that also bring the billionaire other perks, by letting him and his family keep control of Patagonia while shielding them from tax bills that could have totaled hundreds of millions of dollars.

Tax avoidance by the uber rich is only evil when conks do it. When limosuine liberals do it, its noble..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

So he's not "completely pissing 3 billion away"?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:39 am

I doubt all three billion is being spent on ‘fighting climate change’. Bur whatever portion is being applied to “fighting climate change’ is being pissed away. No different than if he was using stacks of $100s as firewood. Its his $$$ to piss away as he pleases.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

He’s not. Unless only people who don’t piss away their money should get tax benefits. I think that’s what BDK is suggesting.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:41 am
I doubt all three billion is being spent on ‘fighting climate change’. Bur whatever portion is being applied to “fighting climate change’ is being pissed away. No different than if he was using stacks of $100s as firewood. Its his $$$ to piss away as he pleases.
Why is fighting climate change pissing money away?
- The climate isn't changing.
- The climate is changing but there's nothing humankind can do about it.
- I'll be dead by the time it really matters so who gives a sh!t.
- Something else?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:04 am
- Something else?
All of the 1st 3 answers.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

- Something else?
Because we have no clue what the future brings nor how to even budge current climate issues. Start incentivizing the ingenuity of reducing our current usage, clean recycling and innovation AS we move towards the future. Stop cramming that future reality down everyone's throat when we aren't ready. Let us adapt our way there.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:49 am
- Something else?
Because we have no clue what the future brings nor how to even budge current climate issues. Start incentivizing the ingenuity of reducing our current usage, clean recycling and innovation AS we move towards the future. Stop cramming that future reality down everyone's throat when we aren't ready. Let us adapt our way there.
I agree but what you're proposing (incentivizing the ingenuity of reducing our current usage, clean recycling and innovation) has a cost and according to BDK would be "pissing money away".

I'm not a fan of the Donk approach of government dictating what it expects to happen and then expecting the market and R&D efforts to follow. I'm also not a fan of the Conk approach of pretending that the climate isn't changing or that there's nothing humankind can do about it even if it is.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:10 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:49 am

I agree but what you're proposing (incentivizing the ingenuity of reducing our current usage, clean recycling and innovation) has a cost and according to BDK would be "pissing money away".

I'm not a fan of the Donk approach of government dictating what it expects to happen and then expecting the market and R&D efforts to follow. I'm also not a fan of the Conk approach of pretending that the climate isn't changing or that there's nothing humankind can do about it even if it is.
The unfortunate reality of climate change, though, is that almost anything we do right now, especially here in the US, will have virtually no impact on the environment for a good 50-100 years, if ever. China is not about to stop building coal-fired power plants, and just with the number of plants they have in the pipeline for the next couple of years will exceed anything we do with our own reductions, even if we achieved net-zero by 2030 (which no one is predicting). And that's just China, there are another 3 billion of people living in countries that will also do whatever they have to to climb out of poverty and they too will build and burn whatever they have to to make that economic step up. If we are serious about making a difference in the climate, not only do we need to figure out for ourselves how to be cleaner, but also how to come up with technology that others around the world can use safely to generate all the electricity the world is going to need. That's the real big step. In the meantime, we need to learn how to adapt to a changing climate for the next century or two.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:29 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:10 am

The unfortunate reality of climate change, though, is that almost anything we do right now, especially here in the US, will have virtually no impact on the environment for a good 50-100 years, if ever. China is not about to stop building coal-fired power plants, and just with the number of plants they have in the pipeline for the next couple of years will exceed anything we do with our own reductions, even if we achieved net-zero by 2030 (which no one is predicting). And that's just China, there are another 3 billion of people living in countries that will also do whatever they have to to climb out of poverty and they too will build and burn whatever they have to to make that economic step up. If we are serious about making a difference in the climate, not only do we need to figure out for ourselves how to be cleaner, but also how to come up with technology that others around the world can use safely to generate all the electricity the world is going to need. That's the real big step. In the meantime, we need to learn how to adapt to a changing climate for the next century or two.
Remember when we used to argue about offshoring and environmental regulation? We are complicit in China’s pollution. It’s everyone’s problem.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:50 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:29 am

Remember when we used to argue about offshoring and environmental regulation? We are complicit in China’s pollution. It’s everyone’s problem.
And not a problem we are remotely even considering solving. We'll be arguing about electric cars for the next 50 years and never come close to touching this issue. Like I said, start working on how to deal with the changing climate as opposed to preserving status quo. Move away from beachfront property, look for cooler regimes, and for our country, accelerate energy production several years ago (i.e. get the nuclear plants up and running 2x what we have today, with many more to come). Even if we could placate China, we have no plans for the other half of the world after them.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:23 pm

And not a problem we are remotely even considering solving. We'll be arguing about electric cars for the next 50 years and never come close to touching this issue. Like I said, start working on how to deal with the changing climate as opposed to preserving status quo. Move away from beachfront property, look for cooler regimes, and for our country, accelerate energy production several years ago (i.e. get the nuclear plants up and running 2x what we have today, with many more to come). Even if we could placate China, we have no plans for the other half of the world after them.
The Northern Plains is full. :tothehand: :D

Try Ohio or maybe Virginia. Better yet, Montana.

Humor aside, the best possible thing we can do is come up with a cheap, efficient power source and spread the tech to the rest of the world. Until that happens, nothing will be accomplished.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Agreed. All on the table. Urban planning, more sustainable ag (avocado toast anyone?), etc.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:09 pm

Humor aside, the best possible thing we can do is come up with a cheap, efficient power source and spread the tech to the rest of the world. Until that happens, nothing will be accomplished.
I’m going to ship more immigrant workers from Washington down the high line. You’ll be thanked for your contribution.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:32 pm

I’m going to ship more immigrant workers from Washington down the high line. You’ll be thanked for your contribution.
Mother Nature is on my side. :D

“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

What are they going to do? Harvest rocks? ;)
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:10 pm

What are they going to do? Harvest rocks? ;)
Even if every illegal immigrant in the U.S. took a rock we would still have too many.

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Holy shit. Guy's been talking about racist roads for about a year now and he just can't stop, like that's some sort of an achievement.

How about he stop wasting our time until the "racist" road has been replaced. Talk about doing nothing and acting like you actually did something.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:37 am Holy shit. Guy's been talking about racist roads for about a year now and he just can't stop, like that's some sort of an achievement.

How about he stop wasting our time until the "racist" road has been replaced. Talk about doing nothing and acting like you actually did something.

Do you think racism wasn't a factor in where roads were built in the past? That planners wouldn't build roads to create a barrier between white and black neighborhoods? That planners would bend a road around a white neighborhood/community but would put one right through a black neighborhood/community without a second thought? It's not the asphalt, concrete and rebar that's racist.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:16 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:37 am Holy shit. Guy's been talking about racist roads for about a year now and he just can't stop, like that's some sort of an achievement.

Do you think racism wasn't a factor in where roads were built in the past? That planners wouldn't build roads to create a barrier between white and black neighborhoods? That planners would bend a road around a white neighborhood/community but would put one right through a black neighborhood/community without a second thought? It's not the asphalt, concrete and rebar that's racist.
That's not the point. He's been talking about racist bridges and roads for a year. WTF has he been doing in that time? Less talk and more action.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:21 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:16 pm
That's not the point. He's been talking about racist bridges and roads for a year. WTF has he been doing in that time? It's a year later.
Infrastructure planning and spending takes time.

Can we hold trump to the same standard? He's been telling us the election was stolen for 22 months but has produced no real evidence. Time for him to put up or shut up.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:25 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:21 pm

That's not the point. He's been talking about racist bridges and roads for a year. WTF has he been doing in that time? It's a year later.

Can we hold trump to the same standard? He's been telling us the election was stolen for 22 months but has produced no real evidence. Time for him to put up or shut up.
Shovel ready jobs!

See, you can't even reply without bringing Trump in. Full blown TDS. If we give you a doll, can you show us where Trump touched you?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:27 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:25 pm

Shovel ready jobs!

See, you can't even reply without bringing Trump in. Full blown TDS. If we give you a doll, can you show us where Trump touched you?
Crying TDS or BDS, the last gasp of the beaten.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

I believe this is called the Cap'n's Gambit ...