UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:07 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:26 pm
What, exactly does a “more stable and sustainable economic system” look like, oh Wise One…? :coffee: :coffee: We already have the greatest economy in the world. We have the richest rich and the richest poor (by a considerable margin, I might add)…
The US for 60 years after the Great Depression and WWII. The nordics. Costa Rica.

Success and greatest can be measured in different ways.

You’re the young bull to my old bull in this scenario. :mrgreen:
So the US after the Great Depression and WWII is a goal? White men dominated, women were kept in the kitchen making sammies and colored folk knew their "place". You are a MAGAt. Kalm and CG sitting in a tree ... :lol:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:48 am
kalm wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:07 am

The US for 60 years after the Great Depression and WWII. The nordics. Costa Rica.

Success and greatest can be measured in different ways.

You’re the young bull to my old bull in this scenario. :mrgreen:
So the US after the Great Depression and WWII is a goal? White men dominated, women were kept in the kitchen making sammies and colored folk knew their "place". You are a MAGAt. Kalm and CG sitting in a tree ... :lol:
:lol: :lol: Yep. Another brilliant logical circle by Klammy….he apparently longs for “the good ol’ days”…

Now that I think about it, has anybody ever seen Klammy and BDK in the same place at the same time?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/califo ... cial-media

Californians mocking the death of an unvaccinated person in Cali.

I’m confused, are there NO vaccinated people dying? Is that why they feel so fucking self righteous and superior?

Who fucking DOES that?
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:07 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:48 am

:lol: :lol: Yep. Another brilliant logical circle by Klammy….he apparently longs for “the good ol’ days”…

Now that I think about it, has anybody ever seen Klammy and BDK in the same place at the same time?
Does this mean that to get to that economic goal Kalmie wants we're going to have to completely decimate much of the European continent as well as Japan and China? That's a lot of infrastructure to destroy and people to kill, but gosh, if we need to do that to get back to the "good ol' days" then we shouldn't let details like that to get in the way.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:14 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:07 am

Does this mean that to get to that economic goal Kalmie wants we're going to have to completely decimate much of the European continent as well as Japan and China? That's a lot of infrastructure to destroy and people to kill, but gosh, if we need to do that to get back to the "good ol' days" then we shouldn't let details like that to get in the way.
Yeah…because economic stability and wages that keep up with inflation can only happen in post war periods and during times of
Racism…. :lol:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:26 am

Yeah…because economic stability and wages that keep up with inflation can only happen in post war periods and during times of
Still waiting for your solution for economic stability and wages that keep up with inflation (including a definition of what you consider "economic stability" to be, as well as your criteria for measuring wages in relation to inflation across the economic spectrum and the US geography). But you know, details. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:32 am

Still waiting for your solution for economic stability and wages that keep up with inflation (including a definition of what you consider "economic stability" to be, as well as your criteria for measuring wages in relation to inflation across the economic spectrum and the US geography). But you know, details. :coffee:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Kind of difficult for wages to keep up with Biden’s hyperinflation…. :coffee: :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Archie "Kalm" Bunker wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:26 am
Boy, the way Glenn Miller played
songs that made the hit parade
Guys like me we had it made
Those were the days
Didn't need no welfare state
ev'rybody pulled his weight
gee our old LaSalle ran great
Those were the days
And you knew who you were then
girls were girls and men were men
Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again
People seemed to be content
fifty dollars paid the rent
freaks were in a circus tent
Those were the days
Take a little Sunday spin
go to watch the Dodgers win
Have yourself a dandy day
that cost you under a fin
Hair was short and skirts were long
Kate Smith really sold a song
I don't know just what went wrong
those were the days
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Archie: What’s the matter with this? I call this representative government. You’ve got Salvatori, Feldman, O’Reilly, Nelson–that’s an Italian, a Jew, an Irishman and a regular American there. That’s what I call a balanced ticket.

Meathead: Why do you always have to label people by nationality?

Archie: ‘Cause, how else are you going to get the right man for the right job? For instance, take Feldman there. He’s up for treasurer. Well, that’s perfect. All them people know how to handle money. Know what I mean?

Meathead: No, I don’t.

Archie: Well, then you got Salvatori running for D.A. He can keep an eye on Feldman. You know, I want to tell you something about the Italians. When you do get an honest one, you really got something there.

Meathead: Aw, c’mon, Arch.

Archie: Well, then here you got O’Reilly, the mick. He can see that the graft is equally spread around, you know. You got Nelson, the American guy. He’s good for TV appearances, to make the rest of them look respectable.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

And Kalmy, the point is that we're better off than we were in the 60 years after the Great Depression and WWII but many of us are too spoiled and looking for reasons to justify our anger to realize it. The opportunities to succeed are there but it takes work, courage and a little luck to succeed.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:01 am
kalm wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:50 am

Well…since fascism implies a nationalistic right wing movement does this mean the Biden administration has moved to the right? This should make you happy!

:phat:
Biden has moved us closer to a police state in 10 months than Trump did in 4 years and that's all you have? Deflection?

A police state is a police state. It doesn't matter if it started out fascist, Marxist or something else.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Please detail how Biden has moved us closer to a police state.
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:11 am https://www.foxnews.com/politics/califo ... cial-media

I’m confused, are there NO vaccinated people dying? Is that why they feel so fucking self righteous and superior?

Who fucking DOES that?
Almost no vaccinated have died.

Yet you look up to those that mocked and celebrated gays dying from AIDS.
:thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:48 am
UNI88 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:01 am
Biden has moved us closer to a police state in 10 months than Trump did in 4 years and that's all you have? Deflection?

A police state is a police state. It doesn't matter if it started out fascist, Marxist or something else.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Please detail how Biden has moved us closer to a police state.
You're bringing up a post from 50+ days ago?

Kalm is getting his ass kicked, I'll dig up an old post and try to redirect the thread.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:30 am Archie: What’s the matter with this? I call this representative government. You’ve got Salvatori, Feldman, O’Reilly, Nelson–that’s an Italian, a Jew, an Irishman and a regular American there. That’s what I call a balanced ticket.

Meathead: Why do you always have to label people by nationality?

Archie: ‘Cause, how else are you going to get the right man for the right job? For instance, take Feldman there. He’s up for treasurer. Well, that’s perfect. All them people know how to handle money. Know what I mean?

Meathead: No, I don’t.

Archie: Well, then you got Salvatori running for D.A. He can keep an eye on Feldman. You know, I want to tell you something about the Italians. When you do get an honest one, you really got something there.

Meathead: Aw, c’mon, Arch.

Archie: Well, then here you got O’Reilly, the mick. He can see that the graft is equally spread around, you know. You got Nelson, the American guy. He’s good for TV appearances, to make the rest of them look respectable.
Now that is funny!

And true. :nod:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:11 am https://www.foxnews.com/politics/califo ... cial-media

Who fucking DOES that?
These type of people.

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:49 am

Who fucking DOES that?

State Department of Health data proves you are either lying, uninformed or both.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:16 pm

Who fucking DOES that?
These type of people.

Palin’s facial expressions in that bit get me every time. :notworthy:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:49 am

Who fucking DOES that?

I keep waiting, but dammit. NONE of the gay people I know have died from AIDS! :ohno:

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:38 am

And Kalmy, the point is that we're better off than we were in the 60 years after the Great Depression and WWII but many of us are too spoiled and looking for reasons to justify our anger to realize it. The opportunities to succeed are there but it takes work, courage and a little luck to succeed.
I agree with much of this. But in some really important aspects we are not better off. There are economic lessons to learn from the past and we can do better.

I love this discussion.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:49 pm
I agree with much of this. But in some really important aspects we are not better off. There are economic lessons to learn from the past and we can do better.

I love this discussion.
I agree we can do better. Has income disparity grown? Yes but even with the disparity, the poor in this country are better off then they were in your "60 years following the Great Depression and WWII" example.

I've posted before and continue to think that the majority of Fortune 500 CEOs get paid way too much and that the Fortune 500 Boards of Directors have become an insular network that continue the disparity. Guys like Jeff Bezos, who took an idea and a chance and built a company, deserve what they pay themselves (and they deserve it much, much more than buffoon like Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren that has and continues to profit off of the recognition and information that his supposed public service has given him).

We have a great system that could benefit from some tweaks but fools like Bernie, Warren and AOChe want to change it drastically.

My message to them - if you are that unhappy with what we have and think that somewhere else does it better then move to that somewhere else and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:49 pm I agree with much of this. But in some really important aspects we are not better off. There are economic lessons to learn from the past and we can do better.

I love this discussion.
A friend posted the following on FaceBook (I've modified to take out info that could be used to identify them).
I took an Uber ride yesterday. My driver was a young black man. The ride started off as most of my solo rides do with some cordial small talk. I quickly learned that Mohamad was from Guinea West Africa and had been in ______ for just under three years. He was driving for Uber and Lyft to maintain the flexibility to take IT and cybersecurity classes at a community college. I complimented him on his command of the English language and casually asked how many languages he spoke. Five. Five?!?!. Yes, five. His native Mandingo, English, and French fluently. Plus a conversational use of Arabic and Lingala, a language native to the Congo that he was mostly learning through his favorite music, ndule, which was an upbeat bouncy almost reggae-like music playing in the car.

I asked him how he liked living in ______ and he immediately beamed with pure joy filling the entire car with a positive vibe. He launched into a ten minute joy filled monolog about what a great city ______ is. So filled with wonderful people and all the opportunities anyone could ever want. He added how the USA is the greatest country in the world and there is no place he'd rather be. He felt truly blessed to be here and was super enthusiastic about his future here and his ultimate dream of becoming a citizen of the USA.

I laughed and said; Thank you for reminding me. I sometimes forget. He agreed and said - "You know most Americans my age seem to take all ______ and this country have to offer for granted. I think it's because they've never known true adversity here. They don't understand how difficult most people where I come from have it in day to day life and the limited opportunities afforded there." He closed his thoughts by again expressing how fortunate he felt to be here. We reached my destination and I thanked him for the ride and wished him a good day. He replied with a resounding; "Thank you Sir and have a great 2022"!

As we enter a new year let's think a little more like Mohamad. Let's be upbeat, positive, and joyously kind to those we encounter every day. Let's remember that we live in the greatest country in the world. One where a positive attitude, an open mind, and a little hustle can create boundless opportunities. I have a hunch Mohamed is going to be very successful here.
We could all benefit from being a little more like Mohamed.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:49 pm

I love this discussion.
And therefore the solution is to radically change our economy and double our debt.

:dunce:
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:33 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:49 pm I agree with much of this. But in some really important aspects we are not better off. There are economic lessons to learn from the past and we can do better.

I love this discussion.
A friend posted the following on FaceBook (I've modified to take out info that could be used to identify them).
I took an Uber ride yesterday. My driver was a young black man. The ride started off as most of my solo rides do with some cordial small talk. I quickly learned that Mohamad was from Guinea West Africa and had been in ______ for just under three years. He was driving for Uber and Lyft to maintain the flexibility to take IT and cybersecurity classes at a community college. I complimented him on his command of the English language and casually asked how many languages he spoke. Five. Five?!?!. Yes, five. His native Mandingo, English, and French fluently. Plus a conversational use of Arabic and Lingala, a language native to the Congo that he was mostly learning through his favorite music, ndule, which was an upbeat bouncy almost reggae-like music playing in the car.

I asked him how he liked living in ______ and he immediately beamed with pure joy filling the entire car with a positive vibe. He launched into a ten minute joy filled monolog about what a great city ______ is. So filled with wonderful people and all the opportunities anyone could ever want. He added how the USA is the greatest country in the world and there is no place he'd rather be. He felt truly blessed to be here and was super enthusiastic about his future here and his ultimate dream of becoming a citizen of the USA.

I laughed and said; Thank you for reminding me. I sometimes forget. He agreed and said - "You know most Americans my age seem to take all ______ and this country have to offer for granted. I think it's because they've never known true adversity here. They don't understand how difficult most people where I come from have it in day to day life and the limited opportunities afforded there." He closed his thoughts by again expressing how fortunate he felt to be here. We reached my destination and I thanked him for the ride and wished him a good day. He replied with a resounding; "Thank you Sir and have a great 2022"!

As we enter a new year let's think a little more like Mohamad. Let's be upbeat, positive, and joyously kind to those we encounter every day. Let's remember that we live in the greatest country in the world. One where a positive attitude, an open mind, and a little hustle can create boundless opportunities. I have a hunch Mohamed is going to be very successful here.
We could all benefit from being a little more like Mohamed.
That’s the key point right there.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.