Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by BDKJMU »

You would have to be INSANE to buy property in NYC now. Any homeowners there who are not uber wealthy should sell why they can. Now just imagine how big of lunatics the NYC politicians had to be to enact these insane squatters rights laws back in the day..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:33 am You would have to be INSANE to buy property in NYC now. Any homeowners there who are not uber wealthy should sell why they can. Now just imagine how big of lunatics the NYC politicians had to be to enact these insane squatters rights laws back in the day..
I’m sure some of our poster support the squatters rights :thumbdown:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Colorado politics reporter's expulsion from a Republican gathering causes uproar
“We make no apologies for kicking out a fake journalist, who actually snuck into our event,” Williams said in a text. “Her publication is just an extension of the Democrat Party's PR efforts, and the only backlash we see is from the fake news media, radical Democrats, and establishment RINOs who hate our conservative base.”
Republican state Sen. Barbara Kirkmeyer defended the reporter, writing in a post on X: “Sandra Fish is a fair; honest and respected reporter, as a Republican I’m embarrassed by the GOP chair."

Former Colorado Republican Party chair Kristi Burton Brown also chimed in on X, describing Fish as “hard-hitting but fair. ... This is a dangerous take by the current (Colorado GOP). ... Transparency is necessary for our nation.”

Among other stories, Fish has reported on how the Colorado Republican Party under Williams’ leadership paid for mailers that subtly attacked one of Williams’ primary opponents, and that fundraising slowed under his chairmanship.
Whiny snowflakes who call anything that makes them look bad "fake news".
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Goldberg: The latest sign that Republicans are abandoning even their most deeply held principles
The knowledge problem, simply put, is that society, including the market, is too complex and too dynamic for government experts to reliably direct it from afar. In a free market, prices capture information that even the best data-gatherers can’t. The closer you are to the problem, the closer you are to the solution.

Public choice theory — what another Nobel laureate economist, James M. Buchanan, called “politics without romance” — adds another layer of reasons to distrust central planning. Government experts and regulators are often “captured” by the industries or activists most affected by their policies. Also, once politicians get involved, policy priorities multiply — extending to boosting employment, expanding diversity, favoring certain states or districts, protecting specific industries and so on — and the government’s stated goals become pretexts for other motives. “Crises” — pandemics, war, unemployment, environmental problems — become excuses to reward favored constituencies.

Take President Biden’s recent announcement that he would rebuild Baltimore’s collapsed Francis Scott Key Bridge both “as rapidly as humanly possible” and “with union labor and American steel.” Well, which is it — rapidly or with those restrictions?

That brings us to Rubio. Take it from a longtime columnist, you can’t always blame writers for the headlines mischievous editors put on our articles. But “Why I believe in industrial policy — done right” perfectly captures the senator’s argument and the trouble with the broader right-wing fad for central planning.

Oh, you want to do it right? Well, that changes everything!

I mean, if only someone had told Hayek and Buchanan that their objections could be answered by just “doing it right.”

The change in the conservative mind goes beyond industrial policy. It's really about the use of state power generally. Too many Republicans no longer have any problem — moral or otherwise — with government imposing its will on society, so long as the “right” people are doing it “right.” The knowledge problem, they seem to believe, is confined to the left wing.

This is the core conceptual failing of Rubio’s argument, but there are others.

We used to say the left invented crises and distorted facts to justify expanding government. The same can now be said of the right.
Will the real RINOs please stand up.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:18 am Goldberg: The latest sign that Republicans are abandoning even their most deeply held principles
The knowledge problem, simply put, is that society, including the market, is too complex and too dynamic for government experts to reliably direct it from afar. In a free market, prices capture information that even the best data-gatherers can’t. The closer you are to the problem, the closer you are to the solution.

Public choice theory — what another Nobel laureate economist, James M. Buchanan, called “politics without romance” — adds another layer of reasons to distrust central planning. Government experts and regulators are often “captured” by the industries or activists most affected by their policies. Also, once politicians get involved, policy priorities multiply — extending to boosting employment, expanding diversity, favoring certain states or districts, protecting specific industries and so on — and the government’s stated goals become pretexts for other motives. “Crises” — pandemics, war, unemployment, environmental problems — become excuses to reward favored constituencies.

Take President Biden’s recent announcement that he would rebuild Baltimore’s collapsed Francis Scott Key Bridge both “as rapidly as humanly possible” and “with union labor and American steel.” Well, which is it — rapidly or with those restrictions?

That brings us to Rubio. Take it from a longtime columnist, you can’t always blame writers for the headlines mischievous editors put on our articles. But “Why I believe in industrial policy — done right” perfectly captures the senator’s argument and the trouble with the broader right-wing fad for central planning.

Oh, you want to do it right? Well, that changes everything!

I mean, if only someone had told Hayek and Buchanan that their objections could be answered by just “doing it right.”

The change in the conservative mind goes beyond industrial policy. It's really about the use of state power generally. Too many Republicans no longer have any problem — moral or otherwise — with government imposing its will on society, so long as the “right” people are doing it “right.” The knowledge problem, they seem to believe, is confined to the left wing.

This is the core conceptual failing of Rubio’s argument, but there are others.

We used to say the left invented crises and distorted facts to justify expanding government. The same can now be said of the right.
Mass movements be they left or right tend to reduce the importance of consistency and worry less of the hypocrisy over long held principles. The movement becomes the feature rather than efficiency or right and wrong. That’s where their allegiance lays.

Potentially great topic btw.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:22 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:18 am Goldberg: The latest sign that Republicans are abandoning even their most deeply held principles

Mass movements be they left or right tend to reduce the importance of consistency and worry less of the hypocrisy over long held principles. The movement becomes the feature rather than efficiency or right and wrong. That’s where their allegiance lays.

I think Goldberg and I share similar thoughts about the zealous right and the woke left.

I wonder who will champion free markets now that the Republican Party under trump no longer does.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Lmao at this nonsense

This conservative mind hasn’t changed a bit
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:15 pm

Lmao at this nonsense

This conservative mind hasn’t changed a bit
Maybe not and I didn’t say it only applies to conservatives. But in the case of the GOP right now, it, in itself, is sad but predictable.

See Votes and policies on limited government power, balancing budgets, spending, Christianity.

You should pick up this book. It’s extremely non-partisan and heavily respected.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Harris Co. Attorney takes jab at Texas AG as county joins EPA: 'He's certainly not a scientist'
"Last time I checked, Ken Paxton is barely a lawyer. He's certainly not a scientist. I don't think I'm going to take his advice on that one," Menefee replied.
pontius paxton takes one on the chin.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Donks vote down warrant requirement for FISA.

Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:35 pm Harris Co. Attorney takes jab at Texas AG as county joins EPA: 'He's certainly not a scientist'
"Last time I checked, Ken Paxton is barely a lawyer. He's certainly not a scientist. I don't think I'm going to take his advice on that one," Menefee replied.
No he didn’t.
-This local DA is making a scientific arguement in the above link, and he isn’t a scientist either.
-The case hasn’t been ruled on yet.
So how pray tell did Paxton ‘take one on the chin’?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:41 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:35 pm Harris Co. Attorney takes jab at Texas AG as county joins EPA: 'He's certainly not a scientist'

No he didn’t.
-This local DA is making a scientific arguement in the above link, and he isn’t a scientist either.
He got verbally bitch slapped - "Last time I checked, Ken Paxton is barely a lawyer".

And I thought you didn't care about pontius paxton ...
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:23 pm I don’t care about Paxton.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:36 pm
No he didn’t.
He got verbally bitch slapped - "Last time I checked, Ken Paxton is barely a lawyer".

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:23 pm I don’t care about Paxton.
That’s not much of a verbal bitch slap from a probably left wing Soros DA.

I don’t, but I imagine the case could have major ramifications, and possibly make it all the way to SCOTUS, and be another one of those slap downs of EPA overreach.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:15 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:36 pm

I don’t, but I imagine the case could have major ramifications, and possibly make it all the way to SCOTUS, and be another one of those slap downs of EPA overreach.
So you're only a proponent of local government when it's conservative? Nice double standard. :coffee:

And that verbal bitch slap was better than 90+% of the names that trump calls people (desanctimonious being one of the best).
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:29 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:15 am

So you're only a proponent of local government when it's conservative? Nice double standard. :coffee:

And that verbal bitch slap was better than 90+% of the names that trump calls people (desanctimonious being one of the best).
This isn’t about local govt. This is the EPA vs certain states, including Texas. States rights vs federal power. Nice reading comprehension.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:48 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:29 am

This isn’t about local govt. This is the EPA vs certain states, including Texas. States rights vs federal power. Nice reading comprehension.
And Harris County, a local government, has filed a motion to intervene in the lawsuit to preserve the new standard. So it's Texas vs the EPA and Harris County. Local rights vs state power.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

No he didn’t.
So local governments can’t set higher standards?

Neither attorney can use scientific experts to make their arguments?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:17 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:48 pm
And Harris County, a local government, has filed a motion to intervene in the lawsuit to preserve the new standard. So it's Texas vs the EPA and Harris County. Local rights vs state power.
Yet Harris Co is only one if 7 TX counties with the 19 biggest refineries effected by this new standard.

1.Port Authority- Jeffernson & Orange County
2.Galveston: Galveston County
3.Baytown: Harris & Chambers County
4.Beaumont: Jefferson County
5.Corpus Christi: Nueces County
6.Port Arthur: Jeffernson & Orange County
7.Deer Park: Harris County
8.Corpus Christi: Nueces County
9.Sweeny: Harris County
10.Houston: Harris County
11.Port Authority- Jeffernson & Orange County
12.Texas City: Galveston County
13. Houston: Harris County
14. Corpus Christi: Nueces County
15.Pasadena: Harris County
16.Galena Park:: Harris County
17. Corpus Christi: Nueces County
18. Corpus Christi: Nueces County
19. Houston: Harris County
https://houston.org/download_manager/28 ... ton%20area.

Those other 6 counties aren’t on the side of Harris. Why should Harris County be able to dictate the economic well being of those other counties. Sounds like its Texas (majority local and state) versus the Fed Govt.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:00 am
UNI88 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:17 pm

Yet Harris Co is only one if 7 TX counties with the 19 biggest refineries effected by this new standard.

Those other 6 counties aren’t on the side of Harris. Why should Harris County be able to dictate the economic well being of those other counties. Sounds like its Texas (majority local and state) versus the Fed Govt.
So you defend these Texas and these other counties when the federal government imposes standards they disagree with but don't defend liberal cities when conservative state governments impose standards they disagree with? Harming people with polluted air is okay but aborting unborn children isn't? More proof that Republicans only care about life up until birth. After that it's "who gives a shit".
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Crime-Ridden San Francisco Seeks To Allow Lawsuits Against Grocery Stores Fleeing The City As Mass Corporate Exodus Continues
San Francisco experienced this last year when Amazon.com Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN)-owned Whole Foods Market Inc. shut down its flagship store in the city after being open for just over a year, citing employee safety concerns.
Nearly 570 emergency calls were reported from the location in that period, including desperate pleas to police saying "male [with] machete is back," and "another security guard was just assaulted."
Dean Preston, another member of the Board of Supervisors, recently introduced a proposal called the Grocery Protection Act, which would require a closing store to provide the city six months’ notice and try to find a replacement supermarket for the location it’s vacating.
Let's punsh the businesses that are leaving rather than trying to fix the problem. That's brilliant. They should allow citizens to sue their elected officials for allowing the situation to continue.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:16 am Crime-Ridden San Francisco Seeks To Allow Lawsuits Against Grocery Stores Fleeing The City As Mass Corporate Exodus Continues
San Francisco experienced this last year when Amazon.com Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN)-owned Whole Foods Market Inc. shut down its flagship store in the city after being open for just over a year, citing employee safety concerns.
Nearly 570 emergency calls were reported from the location in that period, including desperate pleas to police saying "male [with] machete is back," and "another security guard was just assaulted."
Dean Preston, another member of the Board of Supervisors, recently introduced a proposal called the Grocery Protection Act, which would require a closing store to provide the city six months’ notice and try to find a replacement supermarket for the location it’s vacating.
Let's punsh the businesses that are leaving rather than trying to fix the problem. That's brilliant. They should allow citizens to sue their elected officials for allowing the situation to continue.

Take a deep breath and let it out slowly and seize your moment of clarity :coffee:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:11 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:00 am

So you defend these Texas and these other counties when the federal government imposes standards they disagree with but don't defend liberal cities when conservative state governments impose standards they disagree with? Harming people with polluted air is okay but aborting unborn children isn't? More proof that Republicans only care about life up until birth. After that it's "who gives a shit".
Wrong. The times I have come out for the local govt over state is when states pass a law that they try to compel a local govt to enforce. Ie some anti 2A bill where local sheriff say (as is their right) that they aren’t enforcing.

ZERO comparison to the topic at hand. There’s no state mamdate/law here mandating local compliance that the local govts say they won’t enforce. Its federal (EPA) trying to impose on states economically wrecking mandates with one lib local DA joining the EPA.

As far as abortion you brought up, I really don’t GAF. Not even a top 10 issue for me. I would say let the states set their own laws. States’ rights.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:27 am
UNI88 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:11 am
Wrong. The times I have come out for the local govt over state is when states pass a law that they try to compel a local govt to enforce. Ie some anti 2A bill where local sheriff say (as is their right) that they aren’t enforcing.

ZERO comparison to the topic at hand. There’s no state mamdate/law here mandating local compliance that the local govts say they won’t enforce. Its federal (EPA) trying to impose on states economically wrecking mandates with one lib local DA joining the EPA.

As far as abortion you brought up, I really don’t GAF. Not even a top 10 issue for me. I would say let the states set their own laws. States’ rights.
Sure pretzel man. You only support "local govt over state is when states pass a law that they try to compel a local govt to enforce" when you agree with that law.

You didn't support locally elected Hillsborough Florida prosecutor Andrew Warren when he signed a pledge that he would not enforce a ban on abortions after 15 weeks of pregnancy.

Your opinion and your support is based on ideology not local rights.

This should be your avatar:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:44 am
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:27 am

Sure pretzel man. You only support "local govt over state is when states pass a law that they try to compel a local govt to enforce" when you agree with that law.

You didn't support locally elected Hillsborough Florida prosecutor Andrew Warren when he signed a pledge that he would not enforce a ban on abortions after 15 weeks of pregnancy.

Your opinion and your support is based on ideology not local rights.
So what? Just because I don’t support him doesn’t mean he doesn’t have the right to do it. And then the state can respond with carrot or stick.State might not be able to do much, or could be litigated.

Same with sheriffs/DAs from red areas in blue states enforcing anti 2A laws. They can refuse to enforce (which I do support) And then the state can respond with carrot or stick. State might not be able to do much, or could be litigated.

But that is local refusing to enforce staye law/mandate, which has to do with the topic at hand, a fed vs state dispute on fed agency power, which is going to be litigated probably all the way to SCOTUS, and even if the EPA prevails, its possible EPA under the next conk POTUS could rescind.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Multiple Memphis police officers shot, and one killed, in a shootout over the weekend with 2 suspects, both of whom were shot, and one killed. Acoordung to the Memphis police chief:
Davis revealed that the 18-year-old who died had been arrested inside a stolen vehicle last month where he was armed with a modified semi-automatic weapon with a Glock switch attached.

"The Glock switch converted the weapon to a fully automatic machine gun," David said.

He was also charged at that time with two stolen vehicles and having a programming device commonly used to steal cars, Davis said, and was released without bond.

In 2023, the city recorded a record-breaking 398 homicides.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/memphis-poli ... y-released

So the question is why was this guy not sitting in jail, and how in the heck with THREE FELONY charges was he released WITHOUT bond :suspicious: . Well, it turns out the Memphis (Shelby County) DA is a Soros PAC funded liberal democrat. Shocker. And Memphis is an absolute cesspool. For comparison:
NYC, population 8.8 million, 2023 386 homicides.
Memphis, population 611,000, 2023 398 homicides.
The muder rate in Memphis, highest in the nation 2023, is almost 15 times that of NYC. :shock: