See my siggy.
:lol:
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Baldy »

Remember, JSO says this guy has no cognitive issues whatsoever.

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Baldy wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:36 am Remember, JSO says this guy has no cognitive issues whatsoever.

And he was no brain surgeon 50 years ago, either. Started from a very low intellectual base, although he could BS much better.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

This could of gone in the 2021 election thread or here and decided to put it here in case it spawns a larger discussion.

Saint Paul voted in rent control measures. Outside of the disaster for the cities that have instituted it, the enacted measure does not allow for the rent increase to keep up with inflation. :ohno:
The city of St. Paul wanted to eat its development cake and have it, too. Now that developers are looking outside the city for investment instead, the city seems to have belatedly come to a realization about economic incentives:

“We don’t want our equity goals to be at odds with our growth goals,” Goodman said in a presentation to the City Council Wednesday. “The ordinance as written may actually put those goals at odds.”

You don’t say. If the city wanted to prioritize “equity,” it wouldn’t have cut concessions for all of the developments on Snelling and other areas that made a joke out of “equity.” They certainly would have thought twice about biting the hand that fed them tax revenues in that process with price-control laws that all but guarantees that investors won’t get their best return in St. Paul. And just wait until apartment buildings start going condo, and see what “equity” begins to resemble in the state’s capital.

https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2021/11 ... ge-n427717
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Ivytalk wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:52 am
kalm wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 am

89 has been wrong about something? :suspicious:
See my siggy.
Damn Nanticoke.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:51 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:52 am

See my siggy.
Damn Nanticoke.
You mean you actually went back and looked it up?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ivytalk wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:38 am
89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:51 pm
Damn Nanticoke.

Of course. It was such a rare thing I was curious. Turns out I was barely wrong. :king:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:46 am
Ivytalk wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:38 am

Of course. It was such a rare thing I was curious. Turns out I was barely wrong. :king:
Siggy updated! :thumb:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Apparently animal rights are less important than the narrative that Facci can do no wrong.
The majority of dogs bred and sold for experimentation are beagles, which are considered ideal because of their docile, human-trusting personality. In other words, the very traits that have made them such loving and loyal companions to humans are the ones that humans exploit to best manipulate them in labs. . . .

They are often purposely starved or put into a state of severe thirst to induce behavior they would otherwise not engage in. They are frequently bred deliberately to have crippling, excruciating diseases, or sometimes are brought into life just to have their organs, eyes, and other body parts removed and studied as puppies, and then quickly killed.

They are force-fed laundry detergents, pesticides, and industrial chemicals to the point of continuous vomiting and death. They are injected with lethal pathogens such as salmonella or rabies. They have artificial sweetener injected into their veins that causes the dogs’ testicles to shrink before they are killed and exsanguinated. Holes are drilled into their skulls so that viruses can be injected into their brains. And all of that is perfectly legal.

The government official who oversees the agencies conducting most of these gruesome experiments has become a liberal icon and one of the most sacred and protected figures in modern American political history: Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) and President Biden's Chief Medical Advisor. Many of the most horrific experiments, including the ones on dogs and puppies now in the news as a result of White Coat's activism, are conducted by agencies under Fauci's command and are funded by budgets he controls.

In other words, White Coat's activism, which had long generated bipartisan support and favorable media coverage, now reflects poorly on Dr. Fauci. And as a result, The Washington Post has decided to amass a team of reporters to attack the group — the same one the paper repeatedly praised prior to the COVID pandemic — in order to falsely smear it as a right-wing extremist group motivated not by a genuine concern for the welfare of animals or wasteful government spending, but rather due to a partisan desire, based in MAGA ideology, to attack Fauci.
https://greenwald.substack.com/p/to-pro ... ngton-post
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ivytalk wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:56 pm
89Hen wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:46 am

:lol: :thumb:

By next year, I may not be wrong at all.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:21 pm Apparently animal rights are less important than the narrative that Facci can do no wrong.
The majority of dogs bred and sold for experimentation are beagles, which are considered ideal because of their docile, human-trusting personality. In other words, the very traits that have made them such loving and loyal companions to humans are the ones that humans exploit to best manipulate them in labs. . . .

They are often purposely starved or put into a state of severe thirst to induce behavior they would otherwise not engage in. They are frequently bred deliberately to have crippling, excruciating diseases, or sometimes are brought into life just to have their organs, eyes, and other body parts removed and studied as puppies, and then quickly killed.

They are force-fed laundry detergents, pesticides, and industrial chemicals to the point of continuous vomiting and death. They are injected with lethal pathogens such as salmonella or rabies. They have artificial sweetener injected into their veins that causes the dogs’ testicles to shrink before they are killed and exsanguinated. Holes are drilled into their skulls so that viruses can be injected into their brains. And all of that is perfectly legal.

The government official who oversees the agencies conducting most of these gruesome experiments has become a liberal icon and one of the most sacred and protected figures in modern American political history: Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) and President Biden's Chief Medical Advisor. Many of the most horrific experiments, including the ones on dogs and puppies now in the news as a result of White Coat's activism, are conducted by agencies under Fauci's command and are funded by budgets he controls.

In other words, White Coat's activism, which had long generated bipartisan support and favorable media coverage, now reflects poorly on Dr. Fauci. And as a result, The Washington Post has decided to amass a team of reporters to attack the group — the same one the paper repeatedly praised prior to the COVID pandemic — in order to falsely smear it as a right-wing extremist group motivated not by a genuine concern for the welfare of animals or wasteful government spending, but rather due to a partisan desire, based in MAGA ideology, to attack Fauci.
How the fvck could anybody with a shred of decency or compassion do those things to a dog?

Fauxi is damaged goods. Why do people continue to defend him?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:51 pm
Winterborn wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:21 pm Apparently animal rights are less important than the narrative that Facci can do no wrong.

How the fvck could anybody with a shred of decency or compassion do those things to a dog?

Because Trump doesn't like him. Many people are just like JSO, they must automatically defend to the nth degree anything that Trump is against. This is even if Trump has stumbled into being correct.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:42 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:56 pm

:lol: :thumb:

By next year, I may not be wrong at all.
We’ll see. Calendar it forward for about 15 months. 8-)
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:55 pm

Because Trump doesn't like him. Many people are just like JSO, they must automatically defend to the nth degree anything that Trump is against. This is even if Trump has stumbled into being correct.
Sadly this. Anyone who defends him after learning about the Beagles and sandflies should rot in hell.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Agree. In the article there is a two minute video of some of the practices that are conducted. :(

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Maybe this needs it's own thread. Seems like a big deal...

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:42 am Maybe this needs it's own thread. Seems like a big deal...
Things are only a big deal if the MSM wants them to be a big deal. People in general are too stupid or biased to care about many things they should.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:42 am Maybe this needs it's own thread. Seems like a big deal...

Diverge from standard journalistic practice? Is that anytime the media doesn't shill for the Democratic Party?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:28 am

Diverge from standard journalistic practice? Is that anytime the media doesn't shill for the Democratic Party?
I think it would be more along these lines. Nice to see they’re getting help from Eric Prince too.
Mr. O’Keefe likes to describe himself as a crusading journalist exposing wrongdoing, targeting liberal groups and Democratic politicians. He has boasted on social media that he is building the “next great intelligence agency.”

Mr. O’Keefe’s operatives use fake identities and secret recordings to ensnare unsuspecting targets.

In the legal documents, Mr. Barr repeatedly refers to Project Veritas employees as “operatives” or “agents,” as well as “journalists.”

In 2017, Project Veritas began airing undercover footage of Times employees in a series called “American Pravda.” In one case, a Times editor in London was secretly recorded by two operatives who were identified by a former Project Veritas employee as James Artherton and Thor Holt. Mr. Holt did not respond to a request for comment and Mr. Artherton could not be located.

The documents show that Project Veritas had sought legal advice from a lawyer in London about conducting an undercover investigation using “covert recording of audio and video.”

The lawyer said there was “no problem” using a fake name and said the proposed operation would, “most likely, be lawful in England and Wales.”

The Times provided copies of some of the legal memos to Bill Grueskin, a professor at the Columbia Journalism School and former deputy managing editor of The Wall Street Journal and executive editor at Bloomberg News.

Mr. Grueskin, who has written about Project Veritas, said that some of Mr. Barr’s memos provided “pretty good advice,” particularly about when it is permitted to record phone conversations and other tactical recommendations.

He said that the undercover nature of Project Veritas’s work was more problematic.

“It opens you up to the charge that you’ve been intentionally deceptive and you lose your moral standing,” Mr. Grueskin said. “Every newsroom I’ve ever worked in has basically said undercover journalism was unacceptable. I’ve never had a reporter tell me he wanted to pose as somebody they were not.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... g.amp.html
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:49 am
I think it would be more along these lines. Nice to see they’re getting help from Eric Prince too.
Mr. O’Keefe likes to describe himself as a crusading journalist exposing wrongdoing, targeting liberal groups and Democratic politicians. He has boasted on social media that he is building the “next great intelligence agency.”

Mr. O’Keefe’s operatives use fake identities and secret recordings to ensnare unsuspecting targets.

In the legal documents, Mr. Barr repeatedly refers to Project Veritas employees as “operatives” or “agents,” as well as “journalists.”

In 2017, Project Veritas began airing undercover footage of Times employees in a series called “American Pravda.” In one case, a Times editor in London was secretly recorded by two operatives who were identified by a former Project Veritas employee as James Artherton and Thor Holt. Mr. Holt did not respond to a request for comment and Mr. Artherton could not be located.

The documents show that Project Veritas had sought legal advice from a lawyer in London about conducting an undercover investigation using “covert recording of audio and video.”

The lawyer said there was “no problem” using a fake name and said the proposed operation would, “most likely, be lawful in England and Wales.”

The Times provided copies of some of the legal memos to Bill Grueskin, a professor at the Columbia Journalism School and former deputy managing editor of The Wall Street Journal and executive editor at Bloomberg News.

Mr. Grueskin, who has written about Project Veritas, said that some of Mr. Barr’s memos provided “pretty good advice,” particularly about when it is permitted to record phone conversations and other tactical recommendations.

He said that the undercover nature of Project Veritas’s work was more problematic.

“It opens you up to the charge that you’ve been intentionally deceptive and you lose your moral standing,” Mr. Grueskin said. “Every newsroom I’ve ever worked in has basically said undercover journalism was unacceptable. I’ve never had a reporter tell me he wanted to pose as somebody they were not.”
So are they more unethical than CNN? I've heard of CNN reporters posing as journalists and presenting opinion as fact. Isn't that unethical? Is it unethical when news organizations bury or push stories based on ideology?

I'm not excusing what Project Veritas might have done. I'm calling bullsh!t on the manufactured outrage when the other side behaves unethically.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

FBI raid on Project Veritas founder’s home sparks questions about press freedom
The politically fraught episode is shaping up as an early test of the vows from Biden and Attorney General Merrick Garland to show greater respect for the media and to back away from the confrontational, often hostile approach favored by former President Donald Trump and his administration.

“This is just beyond belief,” said University of Minnesota law professor Jane Kirtley, a former executive director of the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press. “I’m not a big fan of Project Veritas, but this is just over the top. I hope they get a serious reprimand from the court because I think this is just wrong.”
Are we sure Trump was the fascist?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:47 pm

The politically fraught episode is shaping up as an early test of the vows from Biden and Attorney General Merrick Garland to show greater respect for the media and to back away from the confrontational, often hostile approach favored by former President Donald Trump and his administration.

“This is just beyond belief,” said University of Minnesota law professor Jane Kirtley, a former executive director of the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press. “I’m not a big fan of Project Veritas, but this is just over the top. I hope they get a serious reprimand from the court because I think this is just wrong.”
Well…since fascism implies a nationalistic right wing movement does this mean the Biden administration has moved to the right? This should make you happy!

:phat:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

I have to laugh at the gigantic irony, given that “masking their real identities or create fake ones to infiltrate target organizations” is EXACTLY what the FBI has done with their “investigations” into right wing organizations for YEARS. But it’s more difficult to do with ANTIFA, since it’s merely an idea.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:50 am
UNI88 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:47 pm

Well…since fascism implies a nationalistic right wing movement does this mean the Biden administration has moved to the right? This should make you happy!

:phat:
Biden has moved us closer to a police state in 10 months than Trump did in 4 years and that's all you have? Deflection?

A police state is a police state. It doesn't matter if it started out fascist, Marxist or something else.