Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by BDKJMU »

Fed circuit court ruling with YUGE implications, as the 5th Circuit rules the opposite of what the 11th Circuit ruled prior.
Federal Court rules Big Tech has no 'freewheeling First Amendment right to censor'

A federal appeals court upheld a Texas law on Friday that seeks to curb censorship by social media platforms. The ruling, a major victory for Republicans who charge companies like Twitter and Facebook are limiting free speech, is a step in a major legal battle that could end up at the Supreme Court.

The lawsuit is challenging HB 20, a Texas bill signed into law by Gov. Greg Abbott that regulates social media platforms with more than 50 million monthly users, which includes Google, Facebook and Twitter, and says they cannot censor or limit users’ speech based on viewpoint expression.

In his opinion, Federal Judge Andrew S. Oldham of the Fifth Circuit said the platforms argued for "a rather odd inversion of the First Amendment" that "buried somewhere in the person’s enumerated right to free speech lies a corporation’s unenumerated right to muzzle speech."

"Today we reject the idea that corporations have a freewheeling First Amendment right to censor what people say," Judge Oldham continued…

….NetChoice, a nonprofit group representing Meta in the challenge against the Texas law, said in a statement they are "disappointed" with the decision. "We remain convinced that when the U.S. Supreme Court hears one of our cases, it will uphold the First Amendment rights of websites, platforms, and apps."

Friday’s ruling created what is known as a "circuit split," since the eleventh circuit struck down a similar social media law in Florida. A circuit split generally increases the likelihood of the Supreme Court taking up a case.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/feder ... r-AA120ukJ
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Don Lemon totally stumped. :lol:

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:57 am Don Lemon totally stumped. :lol:

:lol:

Don Lemon being Don Lemon....REKT :clap:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Baldy wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:09 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:57 am Don Lemon totally stumped. :lol:

:lol:

Don Lemon being Don Lemon....REKT :clap:
:rofl:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

This actually may warrant its own threat and maybe there is one. But I don't see one so:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/york-ag-letit ... d=90240332

Do any of you really doubt that Trump did what he is alleged to have done?
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:02 pm This actually may warrant its own threat and maybe there is one. But I don't see one so:

Some of us reserve judgment until all the facts are in. You know, Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

And in the immortal words of the Clinton's: "Go ahead and try to prove it." :lol:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

$8 billion in pandemic fraud and counting. :coffee:

It has been the long been know that Minneapolis/St. Paul is corrupt, but I guess they wanted to move up to the Big Boy leagues, ala Detroit, Chicago, etc.. What is really interesting is how this story came to and the background of who tipped off the FBI.
The Justice Department charged 47 people in connection with an alleged scheme that stole more than $250 million from a federal program that fed low-income children, in what officials called the largest theft yet uncovered from a coronavirus pandemic aid program.

Federal prosecutors said those charged created entities that claimed to be providing meals to tens of thousands of children who didn’t exist. The defendants then sought reimbursement through the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s child-nutrition programs and used the money to buy luxury cars, real estate, jewelry and international vacations, prosecutors said. Many of the organizations claiming to be serving food were sponsored by a Minnesota-based nonprofit called Feeding Our Future, which submitted their claims for reimbursement.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-charge ... 1663700044

If for some reason one cannot access the WSJ link HotAir has a writer based in Minneapolis that has been following this topic very closely and has some background information that some of the other stories do not. I will post the links to their articles below.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Emphasis mine.
The fraudsters involved in this one case have deep ties to Democrat politicians here in Minnesota, most notably Ilhan Omar, the radical “squad” member Congresswoman representing Minneapolis (and unfortunately my representative). And because the accused were politically connected they could be as brazen as they wanted without fear that anyone in power in Minnesota would go after them.

Other defendants in the case seemed to put minimal effort into disguising what they were doing, using the website listofrandomnames.com to create a fake list of children they could charge for feeding. Others used a number-generating program to produce ages for the children they were supposedly feeding, which led the ages to fluctuate wildly each time the group updated its list of those nonexistent children, court papers said.

But their scheme — details of which were reported in The New York Times in March — still pulled in millions of dollars per week, prosecutors said in court papers, because government officials had relaxed oversight of the feeding program during the pandemic and because the accused fraudsters had help from a trusted insider.

That insider was Aimee Bock, the founder of a nonprofit group, Feeding Our Future, that the State of Minnesota relied on as a watchdog to stop fraud at feeding sites. But Ms. Bock did the opposite, the indictments said: When pandemic-relief programs flooded the programs with money, she exploited her position to bring in nearly 200 new feeding operations she knew were submitting fake or inflated invoices.
Minnesotans LOVE giving money to causes with names like “Feeding our Future.” It has a nice ring to it, after all.

The fraud itself is the sexy part that gets people’s attention. When a quarter billion dollars gets stolen of course it does. But the much more troubling thing is that the Minnesota Department of Education is the agency that administered the program, and somehow nobody there cared to do anything about the fraud until the feds got involved to investigate. And the feds got involved to investigate because some whistleblowers in the immigrant community worked with some rebellious Republican legislators to expose the fraud.
https://hotair.com/david-strom/2022/09/ ... ta-n497911
Last edited by Winterborn on Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

And the crazy thing is that there has been fraud to the tune to millions (in one case 100 million dollars: https://www.auditor.leg.state.mn.us/sreview/ccap.pdf) before run by the same organizations/groups in the past and MN state programs have been complicate in the fraud.

How did they get away with it? Connections. Particularly connections with highly placed politicians such as Mayor Frey in Minneapolis and squad-member Representative Ilhan Omar. Minneapolis City Council Member Jamal Osman helped found a nonprofit involved in the fraudulent scheme. The list of corrupt officials gets longer the deeper you dive. Two former Minneapolis city officials were among the indicted.

A former aide to Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey and a former board chair of the Minneapolis Public Housing Authority (MPHA) were among the dozens indicted Tuesday in connection with a sweeping scheme to defraud the government of millions meant to feed children.

In court documents, federal prosecutors allege that Abdi Nur Salah, who previously worked in Frey’s office, and Sharmarke Issa, who previously chaired the MPHA board, were part of a cohort who claimed to provide meals to needy children but instead used the money for personal purchases, including to buy a piece of real estate together. Both Salah and Issa left their posts in February.

According to the indictment, Issa created a company called Minnesota’s Somali Community and “fraudulently caused [the Minnesota Department of Education] to pay out more than $7.4 million” to programs means to feed children between November 2020 and December 2021. “Rather than provide hundreds of thousands of meals to children it was further part of the scheme that Issa acquired multiple pieces of property, including a $785,000 house for himself,” the indictment said.
https://hotair.com/david-strom/2022/09/ ... ee-n498178

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:55 am And the crazy thing is that there has been fraud to the tune to millions (in one case 100 million dollars: https://www.auditor.leg.state.mn.us/sreview/ccap.pdf) before run by the same organizations/groups in the past and MN state programs have been complicate in the fraud.

How did they get away with it? Connections. Particularly connections with highly placed politicians such as Mayor Frey in Minneapolis and squad-member Representative Ilhan Omar. Minneapolis City Council Member Jamal Osman helped found a nonprofit involved in the fraudulent scheme. The list of corrupt officials gets longer the deeper you dive. Two former Minneapolis city officials were among the indicted.

A former aide to Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey and a former board chair of the Minneapolis Public Housing Authority (MPHA) were among the dozens indicted Tuesday in connection with a sweeping scheme to defraud the government of millions meant to feed children.

In court documents, federal prosecutors allege that Abdi Nur Salah, who previously worked in Frey’s office, and Sharmarke Issa, who previously chaired the MPHA board, were part of a cohort who claimed to provide meals to needy children but instead used the money for personal purchases, including to buy a piece of real estate together. Both Salah and Issa left their posts in February.

According to the indictment, Issa created a company called Minnesota’s Somali Community and “fraudulently caused [the Minnesota Department of Education] to pay out more than $7.4 million” to programs means to feed children between November 2020 and December 2021. “Rather than provide hundreds of thousands of meals to children it was further part of the scheme that Issa acquired multiple pieces of property, including a $785,000 house for himself,” the indictment said.
We are a very corrupt country. From top down. Government and private.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Any guess where this report is from???
In response to xxxxx’s increasing problems with gang violence and social unrest in immigrant suburbs, the government’s strategy for many years was to deny how serious the situation had become. ​​In the meantime, those people who noticed the problem—many of whom were working class—and spoke out about their diminished safety were accused of racism by leading politicians, the mainstream press, and the cultural elites.
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:25 am
Winterborn wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:55 am And the crazy thing is that there has been fraud to the tune to millions (in one case 100 million dollars: https://www.auditor.leg.state.mn.us/sreview/ccap.pdf) before run by the same organizations/groups in the past and MN state programs have been complicate in the fraud.

And from the bottom up. Almost makes me wonder how I can get my piece of the pie. :D

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Col Hogan wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:31 am Any guess where this report is from???
In response to xxxxx’s increasing problems with gang violence and social unrest in immigrant suburbs, the government’s strategy for many years was to deny how serious the situation had become. ​​In the meantime, those people who noticed the problem—many of whom were working class—and spoke out about their diminished safety were accused of racism by leading politicians, the mainstream press, and the cultural elites.
I think I read something with with same tone in a Swedish article yesterday. So is it Swedish?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:28 am
kalm wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:25 am

And from the bottom up. Almost makes me wonder how I can get my piece of the pie. :D
It’s only illegal if you get caught.
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

Col Hogan wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:31 am Any guess where this report is from???
It could be from any major metropolitan Donk run city.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:02 pm This actually may warrant its own threat and [b[maybe there is one. But I don't see one so:[/b]

There’s only about 100 Orange Man Bad threads over the last 6-7 years on here, some started by you..You must not have looked very hard.. :lol:
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

NTSB wants all new vehicles to check drivers for alcohol use

The National Transportation Safety Board is recommending that all new vehicles in the U.S. be equipped with blood alcohol monitoring systems that can stop an intoxicated person from driving.

The recommendation, if enacted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, could reduce the number of alcohol-related crashes, one of the biggest causes of highway deaths in the U.S.

The new push to make roads safer was included in a report released Tuesday about a horrific crash last year in which a drunk driver collided head-on with another vehicle near Fresno, California, killing both adult drivers and seven children.

https://apnews.com/article/technology-h ... 58c70c97a1
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:30 am

I think I read something with with same tone in a Swedish article yesterday. So is it Swedish?
Yep

https://www.commonsense.news/?lli=1&utm ... um=reader2
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

HI54UNI wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:16 am NTSB wants all new vehicles to check drivers for alcohol use

The National Transportation Safety Board is recommending that all new vehicles in the U.S. be equipped with blood alcohol monitoring systems that can stop an intoxicated person from driving.

The recommendation, if enacted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, could reduce the number of alcohol-related crashes, one of the biggest causes of highway deaths in the U.S.

The new push to make roads safer was included in a report released Tuesday about a horrific crash last year in which a drunk driver collided head-on with another vehicle near Fresno, California, killing both adult drivers and seven children.

Interlock devices...nice. Let's treat everyone like a criminal now.

Death by a thousand cuts. :ohno:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Baldy wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:17 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:16 am NTSB wants all new vehicles to check drivers for alcohol use

The slippery slope is steepening. :ohno: :ohno:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

NTSB has had some really stupid recommendations over the years. Especially to the FAA. Luckily for all of us those recommendations have been ignored.

Knock on wood.

HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Yep. And I'm sure that info would never get to your insurance company . . .
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Does it mention the bypass code for Congresscritters? I'm sure if something like this were ever put in place that would be part of the arrangement. :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:55 pm

Does it mention the bypass code for Congresscritters? I'm sure if something like this were ever put in place that would be part of the arrangement. :D
What if the device malfunctioned? I couldn't even move my car other than having it towed. I don't know if the folks that write these laws have ever driven a car, but things break from time to time.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:54 pm Fed circuit court ruling with YUGE implications, as the 5th Circuit rules the opposite of what the 11th Circuit ruled prior.
Federal Court rules Big Tech has no 'freewheeling First Amendment right to censor'

A federal appeals court upheld a Texas law on Friday that seeks to curb censorship by social media platforms. The ruling, a major victory for Republicans who charge companies like Twitter and Facebook are limiting free speech, is a step in a major legal battle that could end up at the Supreme Court.

The lawsuit is challenging HB 20, a Texas bill signed into law by Gov. Greg Abbott that regulates social media platforms with more than 50 million monthly users, which includes Google, Facebook and Twitter, and says they cannot censor or limit users’ speech based on viewpoint expression.

In his opinion, Federal Judge Andrew S. Oldham of the Fifth Circuit said the platforms argued for "a rather odd inversion of the First Amendment" that "buried somewhere in the person’s enumerated right to free speech lies a corporation’s unenumerated right to muzzle speech."

"Today we reject the idea that corporations have a freewheeling First Amendment right to censor what people say," Judge Oldham continued…

….NetChoice, a nonprofit group representing Meta in the challenge against the Texas law, said in a statement they are "disappointed" with the decision. "We remain convinced that when the U.S. Supreme Court hears one of our cases, it will uphold the First Amendment rights of websites, platforms, and apps."

Friday’s ruling created what is known as a "circuit split," since the eleventh circuit struck down a similar social media law in Florida. A circuit split generally increases the likelihood of the Supreme Court taking up a case.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/feder ... r-AA120ukJ
We have truly entered bizzaro world when conservatives want to see governments telling private entities that they cannot decide what appears on their platforms. There is absolutely no question that the United States tradition of "free speech" refers to freedom with respect to government. It has nothing to do with private entities being obligated to allow people to say whatever they want to say on their platforms.

Another problem with this is that, when today's conservatives are talking about discriminating against their "viewpoints," what they are often really talking about are social media policies against posting false information.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came