Political discussions
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:38 pm
Winterborn wrote:I have some ocean front property in SD I can sell you if anybody buys this explanation.

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2022/09/09/ ... mo-n495512
I don't buy it completely but there is could be some value to it. Chicago gangs used to use straw purchasers who would buy from multiple shops in the surrounding areas. Flagging these people could be a good thing. Unfortunately I don't think they'll limit it to those types of situations.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
And there are current avenues (with the appropriate checks and balances) available to law enforcement to address that particular case. This is nothing but control for control sake. I would be oppose to this type of information gathering on ANY material by the government due to how large the potential for abuse is. Just a baby step to another Patriot Act.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

In other news, it's absolutely gorgeous here in the Puget Sound Convergence Zone. High of 90 with a smoke filled sky. This morning, the moon was orange due to the smoke. Growing up in Montana, I kinda like smoke filled skies
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:03 pm In other news, it's absolutely gorgeous here in the Puget Sound Convergence Zone. High of 90 with a smoke filled sky. This morning, the moon was orange due to the smoke. Growing up in Montana, I kinda like smoke filled skies
Free meat smoking! Just lay the brisket out on the porch and let it go. :D
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:03 pm In other news, it's absolutely gorgeous here in the Puget Sound Convergence Zone. High of 90 with a smoke filled sky. This morning, the moon was orange due to the smoke. Growing up in Montana, I kinda like smoke filled skies
Winter, you can't lay your meat out on the porch when you live in town.

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:11 pm I have some ocean front property in SD I can sell you if anybody buys this explanation.
CBS News has a big scoop this afternoon. The industry group that sets international standards for credit card companies has decided to create a new code for the purchase of guns and ammo that, while not identifying the exact purchases, will separate those items from the more generic category they had been lumped in with previously.

Merchant category codes are made up of four digits and are used across all sorts of industries as a means to classify retailers, while not revealing individual product purchases. Credit card companies currently lump firearm retailers in with other outlets, classifying them as either “5999: Miscellaneous retail stores” or “5941: Sporting Goods Stores.”

With a new code for firearms merchants, potentially suspicious purchasing patterns could be flagged to law enforcement — much the same way banks and credit unions made more than 1.4 million suspicious activity reports in 2021 for other types of transactions that might suggest anything from identity theft to terrorist financing.
Time to make gun purchases in cash at sporting goods stores like you do at gun shows.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/vis ... separately

One thing I’m not clear on. With sporting goods stores like Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc that sell lots of things including guns & ammo, does this mean every purchase you make with a CC will now fall under the same code as a gun purchase, or only when a gun is purchased?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:11 pm I have some ocean front property in SD I can sell you if anybody buys this explanation.
CBS News has a big scoop this afternoon. The industry group that sets international standards for credit card companies has decided to create a new code for the purchase of guns and ammo that, while not identifying the exact purchases, will separate those items from the more generic category they had been lumped in with previously.

Merchant category codes are made up of four digits and are used across all sorts of industries as a means to classify retailers, while not revealing individual product purchases. Credit card companies currently lump firearm retailers in with other outlets, classifying them as either “5999: Miscellaneous retail stores” or “5941: Sporting Goods Stores.”

With a new code for firearms merchants, potentially suspicious purchasing patterns could be flagged to law enforcement — much the same way banks and credit unions made more than 1.4 million suspicious activity reports in 2021 for other types of transactions that might suggest anything from identity theft to terrorist financing.
There's a word for having private companies carryout the bidding of the government for them...forget what that is exactly...
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:41 am

Time to make gun purchases in cash at sporting goods stores like you do at gun shows.

One thing I’m not clear on. With sporting goods stores like Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc that sell lots of things including guns & ammo, does this mean every purchase you make with a CC will now fall under the same code as a gun purchase, or only when a gun is purchased?
Do any of those big box stores still see weapons or ammo?
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:41 am

I believe anything over $3k in a cash sale needs to be reported but I could be wrong. I know it was $5k awhile back but heard that they dropped it to the $3k area. Maybe the banking folk can chime in on that aspect.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:50 pm
Winterborn wrote:
Winter, you can't lay your meat out on the porch when you live in town.

How else am I supposed to meet my neighbors if I do not grill out?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

MIGA!
Italy’s Right Set for Crushing Win in Last Polls Before Vote
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/it ... r-AA11DsCL
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

MSGA!
Sweden election: Right-wing bloc starts talks to form new government
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/swede ... 10681.html
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:09 am MIGA!
Italy’s Right Set for Crushing Win in Last Polls Before Vote
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/it ... r-AA11DsCL
Italy’s 1st female PM. The left is in a tizzy over her, which means she’ll probably be great for Italy
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/a- ... r-AA11KUcG
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/a- ... r-AA11Kj9x
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

I guess Lindsey Graham clarified the kick it back to the states meaning of abortion bans.

This should help with the mid terms.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

This guy’s company has been rewarded for doing things right all along. Now he’s giving the $3 billion company away to help fight climate change.

:notworthy:

https://www.businessinsider.com/patagon ... sis-2022-9
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:38 pm This guy’s company has been rewarded for doing things right all along. Now he’s giving the $3 billion company away to help fight climate change.

In other words, he’s compltely pissing 3 billion away..
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:22 pm I guess Lindsey Graham clarified the kick it back to the states meaning of abortion bans.

This should help with the mid terms.
It also helps that Graham is aware that this isn't going to pass either house as there are members on both sides that have already staked their claims on stances that are much more radical and will vote against it.

I give him a B+ for a media stunt though.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:59 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:38 pm This guy’s company has been rewarded for doing things right all along. Now he’s giving the $3 billion company away to help fight climate change.

It is his money and he can do what he wants with it.

That said, I am sure some of it will go towards a few decent causes (I can get behind some of their water conservation projects). Then again they are against nuclear energy (and pretty much any common sense energy transformation) so maybe that thought is a long shot.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:17 am
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:59 pm

That said, I am sure some of it will go towards a few decent causes (I can get behind some of their water conservation projects). Then again they are against nuclear energy (and pretty much any common sense energy transformation) so maybe that thought is a long shot.
Have you read his bio? He’s happiest climbing mountains, casting hookless flies to trout, and tinkering as an engineer in his shop. He and Les Schwabb are a couple of my favorite business succes stories.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:33 am
Winterborn wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:17 am

Have you read his bio? He’s happiest climbing mountains, casting hookless flies to trout, and tinkering as an engineer in his shop. He and Les Schwabb are a couple of my favorite business succes stories.
Nope. That does sound relaxing.

With $3billion dollars I think one could do a few fun things.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

well that old man with his hand on her boob don't look like he's minding it too much. :rofl: :rofl:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:00 pm
well that old man with his hand on her boob don't look like he's minding it too much. :rofl: :rofl:
:nod: That's the kind of nursing home this dirty old man wants to end up in.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:00 pm
The gentleman with the mask below his nose looks like he is enjoying his view.