Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Political discussions
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Dude is definitely trying to get some settlement money; there's nothing sexual about the Nevermind cover.

That said, it's his body and unless there's some deal IDK about, I think there should be a settlement of some sort (whether it's money or the cover being pulled, although the second option seems pointless). But to claim "child sexual exploitation" is quite over-the-top.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

I almost posted that story. 50% the dude's fault, 50% whatever attorney came up with this ridiculous scheme to make money.

There should be NO settlement from anyone that has anything to do with Nirvana. The only suit that should be heard is against his father who offered him up to do this.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:05 pm I almost posted that story. 50% the dude's fault, 50% whatever attorney came up with this ridiculous scheme to make money.

There should be NO settlement from anyone that has anything to do with Nirvana. The only suit that should be heard is against his father who offered him up to do this.
:nod:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:20 pm Dude is definitely trying to get some settlement money; there's nothing sexual about the Nevermind cover.

That said, it's his body and unless there's some deal IDK about, I think there should be a settlement of some sort (whether it's money or the cover being pulled, although the second option seems pointless). But to claim "child sexual exploitation" is quite over-the-top.
Imagine that. A lawsuit with “over the top” allegations. :lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:57 pm In other news, SeattleGriz just made two dump runs with a rented UHaul in under 5 hours. First trip was anything metal as they have a recycling center nearby. Best feeling ever Jet Li kicking that fucking water heater out the back of the truck! Had that sitting on the side of the house for a year. Also got rid of metal patio furniture and two burn barrels.

The second trip was to the straight up dump. Got rid of two loft beds my kids are too big for and other miscellaneous crap. As an added bonus, I was able to hit the recycle section on the way out and get rid of a bunch of cardboard and styrofoam.

Next trip, without the UHaul is to get rid of all our unused electronics and wiring.
You could have at least set up the loft beds beneath an underpass.
:thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:20 pm Dude is definitely trying to get some settlement money; there's nothing sexual about the Nevermind cover.

Something tells me there's some document with this parent's signature on it. I bet they'll settle, even though I don't think they should. I fail to believe that being on the cover of one of the most iconic album covers of one of the most influential bands in history has been a detriment to his well-being. ESPECIALLY since he's already stated that it's opened doors for him.

89 is right - he and his attorney are the ones at fault.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I'm sure the parents made money, but in the end it's still his image and it took two adults to sign the contract.

His parents are at fault, but so is Nirvana IMO. They still used someone's image without that person's permission. It's not sexual exploitation, but everyone should have some sort of autonomy over their image (especially when money is being made off it).

Somewhat ties with why I don't think parents should ever share photos or info of their kids online, since one day those kids will be adults and someone else decided to make their life public. Admittedly new territory with the rise of social media where laws haven't caught up.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:07 am I'm sure the parents made money, but in the end it's still his image and it took two adults to sign the contract.

His parents are at fault, but so is Nirvana IMO. They still used someone's image without that person's permission. It's not sexual exploitation, but everyone should have some sort of autonomy over their image (especially when money is being made off it).

Somewhat ties with why I don't think parents should ever share photos or info of their kids online, since one day those kids will be adults while someone else decided to make their life public.
The parents made $200 and since he was a minor (4 months at the time) the decision was made for him. Like I said - something tells me the entertainment law here will favor Nirvana/Geffen Records unless the photographer failed to get a photo release.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:07 am but so is Nirvana IMO. They still used someone's image without that person's permission.
:suspicious: :suspicious: :suspicious:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:07 am Admittedly new territory with the rise of social media where laws haven't caught up.
I think the laws have caught up with it. I either sign off on or I don't sign off with every school and sports registration for my kids as to whether there can be media (photos, videos, etc) taken of them and shared by the school or league. And they're minors, parents make that decision. I make that decision many times for my kids during the year.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:07 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:07 am but so is Nirvana IMO. They still used someone's image without that person's permission.
If you go down that rabbit hole, you'll have people able to sue everyone for everything their parents involved them in - medical treatments (including shots), sports, etc.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:08 am

If you go down that rabbit hole, you'll have people able to sue everyone for everything their parents involved them in - medical treatments (including shots), sports, etc.
Trip's holes in his knowledge/thinking never cease to amaze me.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:08 am

EVERY child actor. EVER. Every child in EVERY commercial. Yep. Makes perfect sense he’d win.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Bill Maher goes after the left again saying we should have some perspective about the rights and liberties we have here, and leftist Twitter gets butthurt over it.

Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Fake names submitted.

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Get your money out while you can!
The fiscal crisis looming over Social Security is no longer a distant threat. The national pension system will be insolvent by the time workers now in their mid-50s are ready to retire.

The annual report to Congress from the Social Security Trustees, released this week, paints a grim picture of an entitlement program that was already veering towards insolvency before the COVID-19 pandemic accelerated that trend. The Trustees now estimate that Social Security will be unable to pay the full amount of promised benefits by 2033, one year sooner than the same report estimated last year. Absent any policy changes, beneficiaries will receive just 78 percent of what they've been promised starting in 2034.
https://reason.com/2021/09/01/social-se ... arsely-api
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

SC soap opera. Now the father shot.
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/ ... 07833.html
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:54 pm SC soap opera. Now the father shot.
The dad is a drug addict, stole money from his own law firm (which he is no longer employed at) and is going to rehab. Lots of speculation that he tried to kill himself. The randomness of someone just shooting him in the head as he's changing a tire is a bit suspicious.
Alex Murdaugh, whose wife and son were shot to death nearly three months ago, has been accused of taking money from his family law firm, the firm said Monday night.

Murdaugh has also entered a drug treatment center to care for his substance abuse, attorney Jim Griffin said Monday night.

Alex Murdaugh was confronted by members of his law firm on Friday over the missing money, and he told the lawyers he intended to resign, Griffin said.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/cri ... 42998.html
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Ukraine lured suspected Russian war criminals out of the country with fake, $5,000-a-month jobs to try and arrest them, report says
Many took up the job offers and proffered illuminating details about their past work for Russian agencies as part of the interview process, CNN said.

"They started to reveal things about themselves, sending us documents, military IDs and proof of where they'd fought," a former military intelligence officers told CNN.
As a result of the operation, 32 Russians who were lured to Minsk, Belarus, under the guise of work ahead of the country's 2020 presidential election were detained by Belarusian secret services, CNN reported.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

https://reason.com/2021/09/08/north-car ... the-label/
Alcohol regulators in North Carolina have banned Flying Dog brewery from selling one of its beers in the state due to a label that's been deemed "in bad taste."
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Called it...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/15/us/murda ... index.html
Alex Murdaugh, a prominent South Carolina lawyer, conspired with a man to shoot Murdaugh in the head this month so his son could collect a life insurance payout of about $10 million, authorities said.

Murdaugh, who survived the September 4 shooting, admitted to the scheme on Monday, according to an affidavit to support the charges.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:00 am
Called it...

Alex Murdaugh, a prominent South Carolina lawyer, conspired with a man to shoot Murdaugh in the head this month so his son could collect a life insurance payout of about $10 million, authorities said.

Murdaugh, who survived the September 4 shooting, admitted to the scheme on Monday, according to an affidavit to support the charges.
Would anyone be surprised if murder charges are added in the near future for the death of his wife and child?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Not sure if many people know about these drones. The refueling drone is going to push air power out another couple hundred miles and the Loyal Wingman simply is cool. Both videos are under a minute in length.

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:58 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:00 am

Called it...

Would anyone be surprised if murder charges are added in the near future for the death of his wife and child?
that entire family is a fucking trainwreck. (well, what's left of them).