Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by BDKJMU »

If Zeldin upsets Hochul, he vows to fire Alvin Bragg day 1.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Inflation is not in the lexicon. Republicans had to teach uninformed voters that word.

Is she trying to make the left look stupid?

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

If they want to go full wokeahadist amd compete under the rainbow flag, fuck em, I hope they lose.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Gonna have to make a note to watch this move when it's streaming. :nod:

Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

In other news, Mike Bloomberg is as big a pussy as "artists" who put crucifixes in urine, when it concerns anyone outside the US.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... sing-china
The billionaire financier Mike Bloomberg was forced to apologise to hundreds of guests at a major Asian business event in Singapore this week after complaints about a speech by Boris Johnson that robustly criticised China.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Don't know if any of you watched the protests.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Lib media trying to blame the Colorado shooting on the right:
On ABC News’ "The View," the panel of women went on a lengthy discussion about the shooting, appearing to blame the tragedy on conservatives, religion, and Republican leaders. Early in the conversation, Whoopi Goldberg specifically named Boebert.

"Words matter," Goldberg said. "Words matter and people like Lauren Boebert who, you know, has been in the forefront of dissing LGBTQ+ people is now saying her prayers and thoughts go with the families. Well, they don’t really need your prayers and thoughts. They needed your votes. That’s what they needed."

MSNBC made up a significant chunk of the coverage, drawing a line between a recent rise in hate crimes, the Colorado shooting, and the Republican Party.

NBC News senior reporter Ben Collins, during an appearance on "Morning Joe," hoped that journalist would have a "come to Jesus moment" with regard to politically divisive rhetoric.

"Are we more afraid of being on Breitbart for saying that trans people deserve to be alive, or are we more afraid of the dead people? Because I’m more afraid of the dead people," he said.

Collins also brought up a story, published by NBC News’ Maura Barrett, of one of the survivors of the shooting, who was ridiculed by their parents for being gay after coming home from the club. He said that the parents responded this way because such a perspective was viewed as an "acceptable response" by the Republican Party.

Brandy Zadrozny, a senior reporter who covers the internet, misinformation and politics for NBC News, claimed that there was a "one-to-one correlation" between violence, and harassment against LGBTQ members, as well as recent political rhetoric surrounding transgender rights, "gender-affirming care" for adolescents, and LGBTQ-focused books in schools.

While filling in for Ari Melber on "The Beat," MSNBC host Katie Phang wondered how Americans can "curb" politicians who are condoning, spreading, and supporting "pure hate." She also said that violence against LGBTQ Americans was being "legitimized" by politicians.

Responding to Phang, Maya Wiley, a former legal analyst for MSNBC and NBC News, said that Republicans "enable" violence and are spreading a "pandemic" of hate by vilifying transgender people, and creating the context for discrimination.

Chris Hayes made a similar observation during his show "All In," when he admitted that while nobody is "responsible" for the shooting besides the shooter himself, ant-LGBTQ hysteria had created the "context" for the crime to take place.

During the extensive segment on the shooting, Hayes attempted to tie DeSantis’ signing of the Parental Rights in Education law, as well as concerns about transgender surgeries for children, to the attack. They panel also suggested Republicans are "grooming people for extremism" on social media, and government must crack down on social media companies that allow it.

Author and Babylon Bee contributor Ashley St. Clair, who previously lived in Colorado Springs, spoke out against the politicization of the attack, and asserted that the shooter was solely responsible for the bloodshed.

Author and former New Yorker Financial Page writer James Surowiecki responded to St. Clair and claimed that Republicans had "dramatically increased" violence towards trans and gay Americans by labeling people as "groomers."

"We all know that the relentless labeling of gay and trans people as "groomers," with its connotations of pedophilia, dramatically increased the chances that people would decide to harm gay and trans people. Pretending otherwise is obtuse," he tweeted.

Journalist John Harwood, who parted ways with CNN in September, then suggested that journalists cannot be neutral in this situation, accusing Republicans of "dishonesty, cruelty and incitement to violence."….

….And another column from The New York Times by Michelle Goldberg tied the rise of Donald Trump, conservatives, Republican politicians, and concerns about children at drag shows to the attack.

"Perhaps we’ll learn something in the coming days that will put these murders, which took place on the eve of Transgender Day of Remembrance, into a new light, but right now, it seems hard to separate them from a nationwide campaign of anti-L.G.B.T.Q. incitement," she said.

And another column from The New York Times by Michelle Goldberg tied the rise of Donald Trump, conservatives, Republican politicians, and concerns about children at drag shows to the attack.

"Perhaps we’ll learn something in the coming days that will put these murders, which took place on the eve of Transgender Day of Remembrance, into a new light, but right now, it seems hard to separate them from a nationwide campaign of anti-L.G.B.T.Q. incitement," she said.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/colorado- ... q-rhetoric
And after all that wailing from the left blaming the right, it turns out the shooting was done by one of there own, who is ‘non binary’ and prefers to go by the pronouns ‘they/them’ :lol:
https://redstate.com/bonchie/2022/11/23 ... ry-n663097
Gay on gay violence..
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:44 pm If they want to go full wokeahadist amd compete under the rainbow flag, fuck em, I hope they lose.
Colors and acceptance are scary.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:28 am
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:44 pm If they want to go full wokeahadist amd compete under the rainbow flag, fuck em, I hope they lose.
No, but playing for an American team, the only acceptable colors are red, white, and blue. They shouldn’t be making divisive, political statements.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:58 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:28 am
No, but playing for an American team, the only acceptable colors are red, white, and blue. They shouldn’t be making divisive, political statements.
Do you tell that to people with black & white flags with a single blue line?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:42 am
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:58 pm
Has a US National team come out sporting the US flag in Blue Lives Matter? Reading is fundamental.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:29 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:42 am

Has a US National team come out sporting the US flag in Blue Lives Matter? Reading is fundamental.
If they did, your silence would speak volumes.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:29 am This American teacher also sits in a Russian jail, worried nobody cares
For the past 11 months, Fogel has languished in Russian detention centers following his August 2021 arrest for trying to enter the country with about half an ounce of medical marijuana he'd been prescribed in the United States for chronic pain after numerous injuries and surgeries. First he endlessly awaited trial, often in crowded, smoke-choked cells. More recently, he has been serving the first weeks of an incomprehensible 14-year sentence handed down by a Russian judge in June.
In suburban Pittsburgh, Jane Fogel has been watching the Griner case spool out and wondered whether her husband has been forgotten. Griner's wife, Cherelle, received a call from the president. The Fogels have been stalled at the mid-functionary level of the U.S. State Department. Speculation about a possible prisoner swap before Blinken's announcement on Wednesday had earlier trickled into his Russian prison cell, compounding his anxiety.
And the Biden admin exchanges Griner for a major Russian arms trafficker, while still leaving Whelan behind. Indefensible.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:02 am
And the Biden admin exchanges Griner for a major Russian arms trafficker, while still leaving Whelan behind. Indefensible.
Griner benefits from celebrity privilege. Whelan and Fogel, unfortunately don't.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

In my head, Griner being saved first makes sense. Children first, women second, men last.

edit: obviously everyone should be saved when possible, but IMO, Whelan gets last priority (although everyone is a high priority). Protecting your fellow citizens is what you sign up for when joining the military, so Griner and Fogel get exchanged first.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:04 am In my head, Griner being saved first makes sense. Children first, women second, men last.

edit: obviously everyone should be saved when possible, but IMO, Whelan gets last priority (although everyone is a high priority). Protecting your fellow citizens is what you sign up for when joining the military, so Griner and Fogel get exchanged first.
You sexist pig! ;)

Another reasonable order is to try and bring home whoever was there the longest first.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

It was always going to be a tough thing. Griner is a celebrity, and intersections with multiple minority classifications. Letting her stay there was never going to be acceptable for many. And since we don't detain Russian citizens for minor offenses (granted, taking marijuana into a foreign country is never a smart idea, but in the grand scale of things what Griner did shouldn't have merited 9 years of hard labor, no matter how dumb it was) we could only ever do a swap that included a truly awful person, such as the arms dealer we had to give up to get Griner. But it was always going to be a tough thing to do, the swap was never going to feel even, and as such they had to wait until elections were over to get it done.

As for the Marine still there, I think it's important to not lose sight of him. In reality, no one was clamoring for him until Griner tried to bring drugs into the country, so clearly we've forgotten about him before. But there's no doubt she had to come home first or the media blitz would've been overwhelming.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

We shouldn’t be exchanging what is basically a hostage for a terrorist. Period. Being a black lesbian she/he should have zero to do with it. Same when Obama had that Army deserter (as far as I know that POS is a white male) exchanged for 5 high ranking Taliban, some of whom later played major roles in the Afghanistan debacle last year.

More Americans are going to die because of the disgraceful actions of Brandon. The DEA Special agent in charge involved in Bout’s arrest:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:32 pm We shouldn’t be exchanging what is basically a hostage for a terrorist. Period. Being a black lesbian she/he should have zero to do with it. Same when Obama had that Army deserter (as far as I know that POS is a white male) exchanged for 5 high ranking Taliban, some of whom later played major roles in the Afghanistan debacle last year.

More Americans are going to die because of the disgraceful actions of Brandon. The DEA Special agent in charge involved in Bout’s arrest:
And that's what makes this difficult - there is no equivalent in Russian jails to what this guy was/is. No matter who we got back the scales of evil were always going to tip in Russia's favor. If this guy, now freed, ever gets connected to a future killing, the question will come right to the top - how many people died so that we could get Griner (or any other hostage we could've exchanged for this guy) free?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:00 pm
Winterborn wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:12 pm

Trump reminds me of a televangelist.
Yeah, a televangelist who doesn’t know his Bible. Remember “Two Corinthians”? :lol:
Most televangelists don't know the Bible either.
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:37 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:04 am In my head, Griner being saved first makes sense. Children first, women second, men last.

You sexist pig! ;)

Another reasonable order is to try and bring home whoever was there the longest first.
Russia refused to release Whelan. Whelan's family agreed that getting SOMEONE home was better than no one.
:thumb:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:47 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:32 pm We shouldn’t be exchanging what is basically a hostage for a terrorist. Period. Being a black lesbian she/he should have zero to do with it. Same when Obama had that Army deserter (as far as I know that POS is a white male) exchanged for 5 high ranking Taliban, some of whom later played major roles in the Afghanistan debacle last year.

And that's what makes this difficult - there is no equivalent in Russian jails to what this guy was/is. No matter who we got back the scales of evil were always going to tip in Russia's favor. If this guy, now freed, ever gets connected to a future killing, the question will come right to the top - how many people died so that we could get Griner (or any other hostage we could've exchanged for this guy) free?
No, its not difficult. If you’re a competent admin you don’t do the exchange, PERIOD. If some American has to serve 6 or 9 years or whatever for smugging a little pot, then so be it. That is FAR FAR FAR more preferable than releasing someone who was one of the biggest, if not the biggest, arms trafficking kingpen in the world.

Obama: The worst hostage exchange in US history.
Biden: “Hold my beer.”
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

You sexist pig! ;)

I don't disagree, but I'm sure it's more nuanced than that.

Would you trade for an American who has one year left in prison if it means releasing a Russian who has 20 left in our system? Or would you trade for an American who has 10 years left for someone who has 5 left in ours? Obviously you try to get both, but Russia is going to play its own game.

It's a tough decision and I don't envy our negotiators; they rarely get to start on equal footing with bad faith actors.

Russia knew what it was doing with the Griner trade, but any American is better than none.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

dbackjon wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:52 pm
You sexist pig! ;)

Russia refused to release Whelan. Whelan's family agreed that getting SOMEONE home was better than no one.
What about Fogel?

Don't try to sweep Trip's sexism under the rug. Only a pig would advocate for treating women differently than men. :D
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:57 pm
GannonFan wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:47 pm

No, its not difficult. If you’re a competent admin you don’t do the exchange, PERIOD. If some American has to serve 6 or 9 years or whatever for smugging a little pot, then so be it. That is FAR FAR FAR more preferable than releasing someone who was one of the biggest, if not the biggest, arms trafficking kingpen in the world.

Obama: The worst hostage exchange in US history.
Biden: “Hold my beer.”
Was there a way to dose Bout with polonium before the exchange without endangering the crew providing transportation. Give Putin a taste of his own medicine.