Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: Brexit Thread

Post by Ivytalk »

AZGrizFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
I think we are going to see Irish reunification and Scottish independence in our lifetimes.
Not a whole lot separating Ireland and NI right now....no wall, no fence, no border check stations....just a line on a map...
And the whole country is getting more secular (like the West in general), so there’s that.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Boris Johnson is PM after another pro-Brexit wave in the last elections a month or so ago. My guess is a hard Brexit in late October.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:The British screwed up. Same problem as we have here only worse. Dying spasms of an element of the population dominated by ignorance and resentment. The problem for the young Brits is that the results of the dying spasms over there are going to be much harder to overcome.
I guess you’d support a NAU then huh, John? One with Canada, Mexico, and maybe including Central America?

You can’t see the problems of signing over most of the key elements of national sovereignty (immigration/trade/civil rights) to a congressional body in, say, Toronto - a body consisting of reps from all of those countries?

Brexit was inevitable when the EU was formed, and it should be a cautionary tale to any future countries considering joining similar schemes

The EU is a Warsaw Pact with better window dressing

The British are going to suffer consequences for leaving that were purely created by the charter they entered in the first place
Bottom line is that, at this point, they are going to be worse off by virtue of leaving. And I also think that the younger Brits don't want to do it. They have to suffer the consequences of votes by old people that are going to be gone in a few years.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
I guess you’d support a NAU then huh, John? One with Canada, Mexico, and maybe including Central America?

You can’t see the problems of signing over most of the key elements of national sovereignty (immigration/trade/civil rights) to a congressional body in, say, Toronto - a body consisting of reps from all of those countries?

Brexit was inevitable when the EU was formed, and it should be a cautionary tale to any future countries considering joining similar schemes

The British are going to suffer consequences for leaving that were purely created by the charter they entered in the first place
Bottom line is that, at this point, they are going to be worse off by virtue of leaving. And I also think that the younger Brits don't want to do it. They have to suffer the consequences of votes by old people that are going to be gone in a few years.
All of which could have been avoided by not joining in the first place.

5-10 years from now the UK will be glad they don’t have their cart hitched to that mule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

No they’re not. The vast majority of the majority of the other countries in the EU look like 3rd world countries, once you peak behind their “tourism” curtains...Why would you want to drain resources supporting that BS? If you got out of your Louisiana cocoon once in a while and knew what was happening beyond Lake Charles you might understand that.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

SDHornet wrote:Boris Johnson is PM after another pro-Brexit wave in the last elections a month or so ago. My guess is a hard Brexit in late October.
Yep.

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Aho Old Guy
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Tweetsee
A.K.A.: Evil & Nastie

Post by Aho Old Guy »

:thumb:

"But the damned and the guiltiest among you are the men who had the capacity to know, yet chose to blank out reality, the men who were willing to sell their intelligence into cynical servitude..."
- John Galt
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Aho Old Guy wrote::thumb:

I love that quote do much

If he brings back Top Gear they’ll rename Trafalgar Square after him

Aho Old Guy
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Tweetsee
A.K.A.: Evil & Nastie

Post by Aho Old Guy »

:lmao:
John Bolton promises Britain will be ‘front of the trade queue’ after Brexit
In some areas, the disruption may be already showing. Britain’s Office for National Statistics announced last week that the country’s economy shrank for the first time since 2012, while the pound fell to a 10-year low against the euro.

Bolton’s reassurances appeared likely to elicit a sigh of relief from Johnson, who has refused to rule out a no-deal Brexit amid a push against the E.U. for better terms.

The U.S. official said that if the British government ultimately opted to leave the E.U. without a deal, “we would support it enthusiastically.” And he rejected the suggestion, made by President Barack Obama in 2016, that Britain would join the “back of the queue” for a new trade deal.

Bolton’s idea that trade agreements could be reached sector by sector, without the need for a single comprehensive deal first, is a concession that should make the lives of negotiators easier and speed up progress on deals.

Although Bolton said that in some areas of trade, such as financial services, it may be hard to reach a deal, he expressed optimism that working in a “modular fashion” could yield progress. “In other words, you can carve out some areas where it might be possible to reach a bilateral agreement very quickly, very straightforwardly,” he said, according to the Guardian newspaper.
First Thang: It is highly improbable that the House of Commons will submit to a *No-Deal Brexit* __ even Boris The Wanker is pissing in the wind on that one. In fact, Johnson is counting on the Tories in Parliament to nip that sheet in the bud.

Second Thang: That 'queue' is wide __ and, it's deep, too :dunce: No deal with China. South Korea? The yucks are on us. Japan? Ditto. NAFTA? [snicker] Auto sales in the US are cratering. It's easy to win a trade war!

Third Thang: I'm thinking that "U.S. official" is a knob-polishing sycophant; busy up-dating his resume...

Fourth Thang: John . . . Bolton? Really? The great thing about Bolt-On __ he has as much credibility as Larry "Currency Wars Are Easy To Win" Kudlow (Hint: Not Much)
"But the damned and the guiltiest among you are the men who had the capacity to know, yet chose to blank out reality, the men who were willing to sell their intelligence into cynical servitude..."
- John Galt
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Good post. You should show up more, Aho. :thumb:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Boris suspends Parliament for the next 5 weeks. What a shitshow.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Boris suspends Parliament for the next 5 weeks. What a shitshow.
They're bonkers over there. They have a referendum, the result is to leave, and they spend years with those that lost the vote resisting the outcome of the vote at all costs. They've had an election since then and the party in power remained in power. They've not recessed in something like two years (they normally recess every year, but this Parliament has been fixated on Brexit since then). Boris is taking a controversial position, for sure, but at the same time what's going to be discussed in these next 5 weeks that hasn't already been discussed in the past two years? Just leave already. The EU's going to want to make it as painful as possible to make an example of the UK so that other countries that want to leave will not do so and the UK's going to leave eventually, so just get on with it. The anti-leavers want to do everything possible to stop the move short of having a second referendum (if they lose twice how can they possibly resist two votes to leave) or having another general election (Boris's party will win again, like they won a year ago). The idea is to try to debate it forever, without ever going back to the people, in the hope that it will never happen. Taking off for 5 weeks (which is about 8 days longer than they normally would take off) means at least people need to show their cards and do something. At least it brings a resolution one way or the other.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:Boris suspends Parliament for the next 5 weeks. What a shitshow.
They're bonkers over there.
Executive summary. 8-)

As Monty Python would put it, we have the Silly Party vs. the Sensible Party.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

It sets up Trump to be the good guy & carve out a large trade deal with the Brits.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

bluehenbillk wrote:It sets up Trump to be the good guy & carve out a large trade deal with the Brits.
What the hell will they trade with us? England became a pure financial sector decades ago. They’re basically Hong Kong with crumpets and 1/4th the work ethic.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote:
bluehenbillk wrote:It sets up Trump to be the good guy & carve out a large trade deal with the Brits.
What the hell will they trade with us? England became a pure financial sector decades ago. They’re basically Hong Kong with crumpets and 1/4th the work ethic.

And tea.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

And tea.
They import that, too
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Awesome. I'll be in the UK in about 5 weeks (for most of October).

I'll be the CS.COM Man on the Street and report.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Ibanez wrote:Awesome. I'll be in the UK in about 5 weeks (for most of October).

Don’t fvck it up for the rest of us. :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote:
Ibanez wrote:Awesome. I'll be in the UK in about 5 weeks (for most of October).

Don’t fvck it up for the rest of us. :lol:
I can't make any promises. :lol:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote:
They're bonkers over there. They have a referendum, the result is to leave, and they spend years with those that lost the vote resisting the outcome of the vote at all costs. They've had an election since then and the party in power remained in power. They've not recessed in something like two years (they normally recess every year, but this Parliament has been fixated on Brexit since then). Boris is taking a controversial position, for sure, but at the same time what's going to be discussed in these next 5 weeks that hasn't already been discussed in the past two years? Just leave already. The EU's going to want to make it as painful as possible to make an example of the UK so that other countries that want to leave will not do so and the UK's going to leave eventually, so just get on with it. The anti-leavers want to do everything possible to stop the move short of having a second referendum (if they lose twice how can they possibly resist two votes to leave) or having another general election (Boris's party will win again, like they won a year ago). The idea is to try to debate it forever, without ever going back to the people, in the hope that it will never happen. Taking off for 5 weeks (which is about 8 days longer than they normally would take off) means at least people need to show their cards and do something. At least it brings a resolution one way or the other.
Excellent post. The Remainers are bitching about Parliament being suspended and claiming it's an "anti-democracy" move, yet there was a successful referendum to leave and the recent mandate to leave (both via democratic actions) which is what Johnson is leading now. :lol: :dunce:

FWIW the Queen is on board with Johnson's move to suspend Parliament. Hard Brexit here we come.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Britain may have to wait to leave the European Union.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson lost a key vote in the House of Commons on Tuesday night after lawmakers — including a band of rebels from his own Conservative Party — used an obscure procedural motion to wrest control of the parliamentary agenda from the government in a bid to stop a "no deal" Brexit.

Parliament headed into another tumultuous day Wednesday, with rebels planning to use their new control of the House to try and force a Brexit delay to January from its current Oct. 31 deadline. Meanwhile, the prime minister was expected to try and persuade lawmakers to back a general election in October in order to restore his authority before the deadline.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/bori ... d-n1049081
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Still the same as it's been - Johnson's party, what's left of it, still wants to barrel ahead and leave as per the vote, the opposition (Corbyn but there are others) still don't ever want to leave and hope if they can prolong this another few years they'll be far enough away from the vote to leave that they can say they can ignore it. Johnson wants to have an election now since pro-Brexit will likely win, while Corbyn says he's fine with an election now but is doing everything he can to block having an election now because it will weaken his position. Just a mess over there - decide one way or the other and just get on with it.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

It's not just Johnson vs Corbyn, though.

The vote yesterday required was orquestrated by Conservative party MPs - and had a sizable chunk of Conservative support. Labor and Corbyn couldn't have gotten the vote.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:It's not just Johnson vs Corbyn, though.

The vote yesterday required was orquestrated by Conservative party MPs - and had a sizable chunk of Conservative support. Labor and Corbyn couldn't have gotten the vote.
I understand that, but that's more around the no-deal Brexit option. That's where Corbyn found allies to latch on to. But Corbyn doesn't want an election that could end up giving Johnson even more power where he could really then go ahead with the no-deal plan. Corbyn's idea is to draw this out as long as possible (I think the original vote was in 2016) until people just give up on it. He doesn't want to bring anything to a head, just keep talking about it ad infinitum.