Self driving cars on murderous rampage...

Political discussions
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Re: Self driving cars on murderous rampage...

Post by CAA Flagship »

dbackjon wrote:Meanwhile, elsewhere in Phoenix THIS MONTH...

Arizona official: 10 pedestrian deaths in week show a 'major crisis'

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...r ... 422808002/

Note - none of these involved self-driving cars. Self driving cars wouldn't have jumped a curb and killed three, etc.

As for the jaywalker killed at 11PM at night, be aware of your surroundings. Doubtful a human driver could have stopped, either.
About a month ago I said to myself that the number of pedestrians hit by cars in my hometown area is crazy high (based on reading the local news on the interwebs). It seemed at least one person a week was getting clipped.
How fucking hard is it to not jump out into traffic? That being said, I can't think of the last time I crossed a road on foot. I mean, seriously. I have a car to cross the road in. 8-)
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

I don't know if I want to live in a country where women are now complaining about #FordPlay

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

CAA Flagship wrote:

Note - none of these involved self-driving cars. Self driving cars wouldn't have jumped a curb and killed three, etc.

As for the jaywalker killed at 11PM at night, be aware of your surroundings. Doubtful a human driver could have stopped, either.
About a month ago I said to myself that the number of pedestrians hit by cars in my hometown area is crazy high (based on reading the local news on the interwebs). It seemed at least one person a week was getting clipped.
How fucking hard is it to not jump out into traffic? That being said, I can't think of the last time I crossed a road on foot. I mean, seriously. I have a car to cross the road in. 8-)
The police released the video of the woman crossing the road right before she got hit. My observations:
1. It's the woman's fault. She wasn't riding the bike, she was walking it across the street and not even looking for oncoming cars.
2. It was night time and it seemed she was crossing in a dark spot (between lights). The video makes it clear that human eyesight in that condition is likely better than the camera. Not sure what type of "vision" the car used but if it was the camera, there's the problem.

phpBB [video]
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

CAA Flagship wrote:

How **** hard is it to not jump out into traffic? That being said, I can't think of the last time I crossed a road on foot. I mean, seriously. I have a car to cross the road in. 8-)
Had a Great Uncle that was hit by a bus in San Jose, CA, in the 1960's. From what we know, he was homeless.

My ex-Mother-In-Law was hit by a truck in a small town.

People get brave with traffic and the laws that say pedestrians have the right of way. They expect the vehicle to stop, because it's the law.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: About a month ago I said to myself that the number of pedestrians hit by cars in my hometown area is crazy high (based on reading the local news on the interwebs). It seemed at least one person a week was getting clipped.
The police released the video of the woman crossing the road right before she got hit. My observations:
1. It's the woman's fault. She wasn't riding the bike, she was walking it across the street and not even looking for oncoming cars.
2. It was night time and it seemed she was crossing in a dark spot (between lights). The video makes it clear that human eyesight in that condition is likely better than the camera. Not sure what type of "vision" the car used but if it was the camera, there's the problem.

phpBB [video]
Yeah, that's the dead woman's fault. Night time, not in a crosswalk. Nothing more needs to be said. /story
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Gil Dobie wrote:People get brave with traffic and the laws that say pedestrians have the right of way. They expect the vehicle to stop, because it's the law.
Truth.

I cross at this location several times each week. I take nothing for granted. The "suggested" speed limit is 25, but I see buses going 40 and cabs doing 60 down the street. :lol:

Some people step right on out and dare folks not to stop. Not me. I'm not in that much of a hurry to get working. Notice the chick walking with smartphone on the left.

Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Self driving car ticketed for being too close to a pedestrian.
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/0 ... francisco/
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

93henfan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:People get brave with traffic and the laws that say pedestrians have the right of way. They expect the vehicle to stop, because it's the law.
Truth.

I cross at this location several times each week. I take nothing for granted. The "suggested" speed limit is 25, but I see buses going 40 and cabs doing 60 down the street. :lol:

Some people step right on out and dare folks not to stop. Not me. I'm not in that much of a hurry to get working. Notice the chick walking with smartphone on the left.

Pedestrians in DC and NoVa are really bad about that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

CAA Flagship wrote:The police released the video of the woman crossing the road right before she got hit. My observations:
3. What the hell is that behind the wheel? :shock:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

CID1990 wrote:Pedestrians in DC and NoVa are really bad about that
Add Silver Spring to the list. Lots of pedestrians struck there.

The worst has to be Anacostia around Minnesota Ave (yes, I actually used to have to go there a lot for ice hockey). It would seem a certain race believes it's a good idea to walk in the street at all times. :?
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

89Hen wrote: 3. What the hell is that behind the wheel? :shock:
That ^ is a great question...

:shock:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

NTSB cites Uber, distracted backup driver in fatal self-driving crash
Police have said the crash was “entirely avoidable” and that the operator was watching “The Voice” TV program at the time of the crash. Police have not decided if the driver could face charges.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-uber ... op+News%29

:ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/busin ... 713734001/
The U.S. government's highway safety agency is sending a team to Detroit to investigate a crash involving a Tesla that drove beneath a semitrailer.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says Monday night that a special crash investigation team will go to the city to investigate the “violent crash.” Two people were critically injured in the crash Thursday on the city’s southwest side.

The crash circumstances are similar to two others in Florida in which Teslas drove beneath tractor-trailers, causing two deaths. In both crashes, in 2016 and 2019, the cars were being driven while using Tesla's Autopilot partially automated driving software.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

89Hen wrote: Fri May 13, 2016 2:57 pm
Grizalltheway wrote:Bump for 89.

In January, General Motors announced a $500 million partnership with ride-sharing service Lyft. Many wondered what the pairing might do for both companies and when it would begin bearing fruit.

We got some answers in March, when GM announced that it would loan GM vehicles to Lyft drivers at a discount -- in some cases, for free. Now comes a rumor that the two companies will create a test fleet of autonomous taxis that could begin picking up passengers within a year.

The fleet will consist entirely of Chevrolet Bolt electric cars. They'll employ self-driving software developed by Cruise Automation, which GM hopes to acquire in the near future.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/11 ... picks=true
Bump when it happens. :coffee:
Coming up on fifth anniversary of this post.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Someday people will learn the computer is a bycicle for the mind and not a replacement for it.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

NHTSA reviewing 23 Tesla crashes, 3 from recent weeks

WASHINGTON -- NHTSA disclosed Thursday it has opened 27 investigations into crashes of Tesla vehicles, 23 of which remain active, and at least three of the crashes occurred in recent weeks.

The auto safety agency confirmed Thursday that it will send a team to investigate a recent Tesla crash in the Houston area. Four of the 27 NHTSA investigations have been completed and the results published. Of the completed cases, the earliest was from 2013.

Earlier this week, NHTSA said it was sending its special crash investigation team to probe two crashes in Michigan, including a crash early Wednesday involving a Tesla suspected of being in Autopilot mode when it struck a parked Michigan State Police patrol car.

Tesla did not immediately comment.

NHTSA said in July that its "(Special Crash Investigations team) has looked into 19 crashes involving Tesla vehicles where it was believed some form of advanced driver assistance system was engaged at the time of the incident."

Michigan State Police said a parked patrol car was struck by a Tesla apparently in Autopilot mode while investigating a traffic crash near Lansing on I-96. No one was injured and the 22-year-old Tesla driver was issued traffic citations.

On Monday, NHTSA said it was sending another team to investigate a "violent" March 11 crash in Detroit in which a Tesla became wedged underneath a tractor-trailer and left a passenger in critical condition.

Detroit police said Tuesday they do not believe that Autopilot was in use.

The Autopilot feature was operating in at least three Tesla vehicles involved in fatal U.S. crashes since 2016.

Tesla advises drivers they must keep their hands on the steering wheel and pay attention while using Autopilot. However, some Tesla drivers say they are able to avoid putting their hands on the wheel for extended periods when using Autopilot.

NHTSA's Special Crash Investigation team typically looks at more than 100 crashes a year with a focus on emerging technologies. Issues in recent years include performance of alternative fueled vehicles, child restraint systems, adaptive controls, safety belts, vehicle-pedestrian interactions, and potential safety defects.

Separately, the agency said it had been briefed on Tesla's "full self-driving" (FSD) software. Tesla CEO Elon Musk wrote on Twitter last week that the beta FSD software had been expanded to about 2,000 owners while other drivers had access to the program revoked.

The agency said it "will monitor the new technology closely and will not hesitate to take action to protect the public against risks to safety."

NHTSA said the system does not make the Tesla "capable of driving itself. The most advanced vehicle technologies available for purchase today provide driver assistance and require a fully attentive human driver at all times performing the driving task and monitoring the surrounding environment."
https://www.autonews.com/regulation-saf ... cent-weeks

There's you're problem right there. Don't call it an autopilot mode, because it clearly isn't. Or just get rid of it until you have the issues worked out...
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:50 pm
NHTSA reviewing 23 Tesla crashes, 3 from recent weeks

WASHINGTON -- NHTSA disclosed Thursday it has opened 27 investigations into crashes of Tesla vehicles, 23 of which remain active, and at least three of the crashes occurred in recent weeks.

The auto safety agency confirmed Thursday that it will send a team to investigate a recent Tesla crash in the Houston area. Four of the 27 NHTSA investigations have been completed and the results published. Of the completed cases, the earliest was from 2013.

Earlier this week, NHTSA said it was sending its special crash investigation team to probe two crashes in Michigan, including a crash early Wednesday involving a Tesla suspected of being in Autopilot mode when it struck a parked Michigan State Police patrol car.

Tesla did not immediately comment.

NHTSA said in July that its "(Special Crash Investigations team) has looked into 19 crashes involving Tesla vehicles where it was believed some form of advanced driver assistance system was engaged at the time of the incident."

Michigan State Police said a parked patrol car was struck by a Tesla apparently in Autopilot mode while investigating a traffic crash near Lansing on I-96. No one was injured and the 22-year-old Tesla driver was issued traffic citations.

On Monday, NHTSA said it was sending another team to investigate a "violent" March 11 crash in Detroit in which a Tesla became wedged underneath a tractor-trailer and left a passenger in critical condition.

Detroit police said Tuesday they do not believe that Autopilot was in use.

The Autopilot feature was operating in at least three Tesla vehicles involved in fatal U.S. crashes since 2016.

Tesla advises drivers they must keep their hands on the steering wheel and pay attention while using Autopilot. However, some Tesla drivers say they are able to avoid putting their hands on the wheel for extended periods when using Autopilot.

NHTSA's Special Crash Investigation team typically looks at more than 100 crashes a year with a focus on emerging technologies. Issues in recent years include performance of alternative fueled vehicles, child restraint systems, adaptive controls, safety belts, vehicle-pedestrian interactions, and potential safety defects.

Separately, the agency said it had been briefed on Tesla's "full self-driving" (FSD) software. Tesla CEO Elon Musk wrote on Twitter last week that the beta FSD software had been expanded to about 2,000 owners while other drivers had access to the program revoked.

The agency said it "will monitor the new technology closely and will not hesitate to take action to protect the public against risks to safety."

NHTSA said the system does not make the Tesla "capable of driving itself. The most advanced vehicle technologies available for purchase today provide driver assistance and require a fully attentive human driver at all times performing the driving task and monitoring the surrounding environment."
https://www.autonews.com/regulation-saf ... cent-weeks

There's you're problem right there. Don't call it an autopilot mode, because it clearly isn't. Or just get rid of it until you have the issues worked out...
The problem isn't the car, it's the moron in the drivers seat. Tesla needs to do a better job at informing owners that they still need tobe alert and read to take over. "Self Driving" isn't a license to sleep behind the wheel.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

93henfan wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:10 am
Truth.

To be fair, she seems to be waiting on the side of the street and not stepping into it.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

TESLA autopilot crash kills 2, resulting fire took 4 hours and 32,000 gallins of water to extinguish..
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/t ... esla-crash
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

BDKJMU wrote:TESLA autopilot crash kills 2, resulting fire took 4 hours and 32,000 gallins of water to extinguish..
Based on what I have read the Darwin award picked up another 2 idiots for candidates. Not the fault of Tesla if the owners want to misuse the vehicle and its features.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:33 pm TESLA autopilot crash kills 2, resulting fire took 4 hours and 32,000 gallins of water to extinguish..
Officials believe the Tesla may have been operating on Autopilot, noting that one of the individuals was found in the passenger seat while the other was found in the back seat.
Well there's your problem. People with more money than sense are driving cars when they should probably be on the short bus. These are probably the people that blame Coke and McDonalds for making them fat. :ohno:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:10 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:33 pm TESLA autopilot crash kills 2, resulting fire took 4 hours and 32,000 gallins of water to extinguish..
Officials believe the Tesla may have been operating on Autopilot, noting that one of the individuals was found in the passenger seat while the other was found in the back seat.
Well there's your problem. People with more money than sense are driving cars when they should probably be on the short bus. These are probably the people that blame Coke and McDonalds for making them fat. :ohno:
Agreed, but TESLA SHOULDN’T call it autopilot, because some morons will take that to mean ‘autopilot’ as in I can sleep, no one in the drivers seat, etc..It should be called ‘driver assist’ or something along those lines.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:49 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:10 am

Agreed, but TESLA SHOULDN’T call it autopilot, because some morons will take that to mean ‘autopilot’ as in I can sleep, no one in the drivers seat, etc..It should be called ‘driver assist’ or something along those lines.
:nod:

Calling it "Autopilot" was a mistake on Tesla's part. It is what happens when Marketing comes up with a cool name or Software(or any other department) uses shorthand for something and then that language is placed in the manuals and other literature. It snowballs until the public starts using it and assumptions are made. Which then brings in legal who should of been consulted in the first place.

Though by now there has been enough news/publicity and Tesla has put out clarification on what the system does exactly (plus the additional safeguards built into the system) that it takes deliberate misuse of the system and the driver/passenger should of known better.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:16 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:49 am
:nod:

Calling it "Autopilot" was a mistake on Tesla's part. It is what happens when Marketing comes up with a cool name or Software(or any other department) uses shorthand for something and then that language is placed in the manuals and other literature. It snowballs until the public starts using it and assumptions are made. Which then brings in legal who should of been consulted in the first place.

Though by now there has been enough news/publicity and Tesla has put out clarification on what the system does exactly (plus the additional safeguards built into the system) that it takes deliberate misuse of the system and the driver/passenger should of known better.
If Legal had been consulted in the first place, Driver Assist would have been considered too strong and risky. It would have ended up Driver Slightly Accommodate with about 10+ other words. :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote:
Winterborn wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:16 pm :nod:

If Legal had been consulted in the first place, Driver Assist would have been considered too strong and risky. It would have ended up Driver Slightly Accommodate with about 10+ other words. :D
That is why you only give legal a couple of choices to choose from. Otherwise you get a legal disclaimer word salad. Image