Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Gorillas In The Mist - The Official Thread

Post by Gil Dobie »

Winterborn wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:34 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:44 am

We have the Hippocratic Oath for Doctors, OSHA for workers safety, NRC for Nuclear safety. Is there anything similar with law enforcement?
I am not sure what you mean with this?

Two of those are very different than the third (Hippocratic Oath) in that they are government defined and only speak to a set of regulations to follow. The Hippocratic Oath is a voluntary oath and is left up to the individual to follow or not. There is no (at least that I am aware of) regulation that turns it into law.

A quick Google search states there is an oath from the International Association of Chief of Police (IACP) and that depending on the area there is a swearing in oath that closely follows the Uniformed Services Oath of Office (adjusted for each state/area) but who and what that all entails I would defer to those that are/have been in law enforcement.

IACP Oath
On my honor, I will never Betray my integrity, my character Or the public trust. I will always have the courage to hold myself and others accountable for our actions. I will always maintain the highest ethical standards and uphold the values of my community, and the agency I serve.

U.S. Uniformed Services Oath of Office
I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.[1]
What do the police have for checks and balances?
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:07 pm
Winterborn wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:34 am

I am not sure what you mean with this?

Two of those are very different than the third (Hippocratic Oath) in that they are government defined and only speak to a set of regulations to follow. The Hippocratic Oath is a voluntary oath and is left up to the individual to follow or not. There is no (at least that I am aware of) regulation that turns it into law.

A quick Google search states there is an oath from the International Association of Chief of Police (IACP) and that depending on the area there is a swearing in oath that closely follows the Uniformed Services Oath of Office (adjusted for each state/area) but who and what that all entails I would defer to those that are/have been in law enforcement.

IACP Oath

U.S. Uniformed Services Oath of Office
The local and state courts.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Winterborn wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:39 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:07 pm

The local and state courts.
Plus IA and CRBs.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Looks like some albino Gorillaz in the mist here...
Images of the worksheet quickly spread online, including in a private group for Wisconsinites angry about Covid-19 restrictions and mandates. “Teacher needs a beat down,” one person commented. Another encouraged people to tell Statz to move to a city like Milwaukee or Chicago that would be more receptive to learning about Black Lives Matter. Others said they needed to call the school board to complain.

Taylor M. Wishau, a Burlington school board member, commented on a post about the lesson plan that he was “irate.” The teacher “went rogue and will be dealt with,” he wrote. (Wishau did not respond to emailed questions; he appeared to delete his Facebook account after NBC News contacted him.)

Several parents, including Crawley, were upset that the worksheet stated that George Floyd was killed by a police officer (a medical examiner ruled Floyd’s death a homicide, and the officer who placed a knee on his neck is facing a second-degree murder charge). “We all agree it looked horrible, but this hasn’t played out in the courts,” Crawley said.

Burlington’s school superintendent, Stephen Plank, initially took a neutral stance on Statz’s lesson. In an Aug. 30 letter to parents, he called the lesson “an individual decision, not part of the approved curriculum,” and added that if parents want clarification about what their children are learning in school, they are welcome to call their children’s teacher.

Statz said only one parent called her with concerns, and after she explained the goals of the lesson, they are now on good terms.

Meanwhile on social media, rumors swirled that Statz had told students that all police are bad and that their parents were wrong to say “all lives matter” — things she said she would never say. People also wrote that Statz was fired from her last teaching job in Chicago — an allegation that concerned Statz so much that she asked her former boss to write a letter, reviewed by NBC News, denying the rumor.

Dozens of parents in Burlington joined a private Facebook group called “Parents Against Rogue Teachers.” Melby, an administrator of the group, said parents angry about the lesson were not against racial equality — they were upset the lesson plan was not part of the authorized curriculum, and their anxiety had been heightened by a deadly shooting during protests in Kenosha that week.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ho ... _sneN1bEkg
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:23 am Looks like some albino Gorillaz in the mist here...
Images of the worksheet quickly spread online, including in a private group for Wisconsinites angry about Covid-19 restrictions and mandates. “Teacher needs a beat down,” one person commented. Another encouraged people to tell Statz to move to a city like Milwaukee or Chicago that would be more receptive to learning about Black Lives Matter. Others said they needed to call the school board to complain.

Taylor M. Wishau, a Burlington school board member, commented on a post about the lesson plan that he was “irate.” The teacher “went rogue and will be dealt with,” he wrote. (Wishau did not respond to emailed questions; he appeared to delete his Facebook account after NBC News contacted him.)

Several parents, including Crawley, were upset that the worksheet stated that George Floyd was killed by a police officer (a medical examiner ruled Floyd’s death a homicide, and the officer who placed a knee on his neck is facing a second-degree murder charge). “We all agree it looked horrible, but this hasn’t played out in the courts,” Crawley said.

Burlington’s school superintendent, Stephen Plank, initially took a neutral stance on Statz’s lesson. In an Aug. 30 letter to parents, he called the lesson “an individual decision, not part of the approved curriculum,” and added that if parents want clarification about what their children are learning in school, they are welcome to call their children’s teacher.

Statz said only one parent called her with concerns, and after she explained the goals of the lesson, they are now on good terms.

Meanwhile on social media, rumors swirled that Statz had told students that all police are bad and that their parents were wrong to say “all lives matter” — things she said she would never say. People also wrote that Statz was fired from her last teaching job in Chicago — an allegation that concerned Statz so much that she asked her former boss to write a letter, reviewed by NBC News, denying the rumor.

Dozens of parents in Burlington joined a private Facebook group called “Parents Against Rogue Teachers.” Melby, an administrator of the group, said parents angry about the lesson were not against racial equality — they were upset the lesson plan was not part of the authorized curriculum, and their anxiety had been heightened by a deadly shooting during protests in Kenosha that week.
Are they Gorillaz or Karens?

And what does Tony Romo think?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:23 am Looks like some albino Gorillaz in the mist here...

I thought we were suppose to let this thread die?

Amd wrong thread anyway. There’s a white trash redneck cracker thread, or something alog those lines, that KyJelly started a while back.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:18 pm

Amd wrong thread anyway. There’s a white trash redneck cracker thread, or something alog those lines, that KyJelly started a while back.
Awww, Kalm hurt widdle BDanKlebiter's feelings by not posting racist bullsh!t in the Gorillaz thread. It's okay little anKlebiter, let me get you a pig's ear. :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:37 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:18 pm

Awww, Kalm hurt widdle BDanKlebiter's feelings by not posting racist bullsh!t in the Gorillaz thread. It's okay little anKlebiter, let me get you a pig's ear. :D
I wasn’t one of the one’s triggered the last few month by keeping this thread going. But since you apparently want to, then by all means. :thumb:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Some one surely gets triggered by African Americans.
Bobcat
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by Bobcat »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:17 am Some one surely gets triggered by African Americans.
Very true, too bad its usually white girls on spring break. The media silence is telling
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Someone is having a bad day in the sand.

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CitadelGrad wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:07 am
Animals. This is why I carry.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Yup. Stupid people come in every demographic. Stupid people come disproportionately from some demographics, however, as evidenced by FBI violent crime statistics.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Demographics are treated differently by the justice system, from time of arrest to completion of trials, as evidenced by the Minnesota Supreme Court Task Force on Racial Bias.

For example:

People of color are less likely than white victims to receive reparations, or more
likely to receive a reduced reparation amount, based on police reports of the victim's
contributory conduct. In 1990, for example, 27% of the African American victims seeking
reparations in Hennepin County received reduced awards based on contributory conduct
alleged by the police compared to 7% of white victims

People of color are arrested more often, charged more often,
bail is set higher, plea bargains are tougher, trials less fair and
sentences far longer. Racism is pervasive in the courts in
Minnesota. (White Metropolitan Area Public Defender,
Attorney Survey).

African Americans were significantly less likely to be released with no bail
required. When individuals who posted bail prior to first appearance were
excluded, race remained statistically significant.
· Whites were significantly more likely to be mailed a summons (26% for whites
vs. 13% for African Americans). After controlling for offense type, whites were
still significantly more likely to be mailed a summons (35% for whites vs. 20%
for African Americans).

Once bail was set, there was a difference in ability to post bail and be released.
African Americans comprised 65% of the detained population while 35% of the
detainees were white.

Hennepin County prosecutors disproportionately use the summons more
often for whites than for people of color on both felony and misdemeanor
offenses.

People of color are being held in custody prior to trial in Hennepin County at
a rate disproportionately greater than whites on both felonies and
misdemeanors when offense severity level is held constant.

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Yeah, that explains it! :rofl:

Just an FYI, per the FBI database, a certain group that makes up 13.4% of the US population commits 53.3% of the murders and 54.2% of the robberies. Yeah, it's probably just the justice system though. :lol: :thumb: