Political discussions
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: Gorillas In The Mist - The Official Thread

Post by SeattleGriz »

CitadelGrad wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:16 pm A 19-year-old black man in Columbus, Ga, named Jayvon Hatchett, stabbed a white Auto Zone employee 7 times after "watching Facebook videos of police shootings". He admitted that he wanted to kill a "random white person" after watching the fake news media

https://www.wrbl.com/news/crime/autozon ... -in-court/
They then out him in a cell with a scrawny white dude, who he promptly killed.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

BLM trying to enter the hospital where two L.A. County Sherrif Dept. deputies were taken after another BLM gorilla attempted to kill them.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4

Post by CitadelGrad »

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CitadelGrad wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:44 am BLM trying to enter the hospital where two L.A. County Sherrif Dept. deputies were taken after another BLM gorilla attempted to kill them.
How do I know I can trust KarliP? Maybe she's MSM and we don't know it!?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4

Post by CitadelGrad »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:12 pm
CitadelGrad wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:44 am BLM trying to enter the hospital where two L.A. County Sherrif Dept. deputies were taken after another BLM gorilla attempted to kill them.
Are you denying that this happened?

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CitadelGrad wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:38 pm
Ibanez wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:12 pm

No. I'm questioning the source. Or can I not do that b/c It confirms your bias?
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4

Post by CitadelGrad »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:24 am
CitadelGrad wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:38 pm

There's a link in the tweet. Why don't you click on it?

Is the source really relevant, anyway? It's a fucking video. It actually happened. There are other videos and news reports of this incident.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CitadelGrad wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:52 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:24 am

There's a link in the tweet. Why don't you click on it?

Is the source really relevant, anyway? It's a fucking video. It actually happened. There are other videos and news reports of this incident.
If sources aren't relevant, then why the bitching and moaning over the MSM? Are they not a source of information?

You seem to be missing the point. It's ok. Ask one of the smart kids to help you read between the lines.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:07 am If sources aren't relevant, then why the bitching and moaning over the MSM? Are they not a source of information?

You seem to be missing the point. It's ok. Ask one of the smart kids to help you read between the lines.
Ugh, really hate stepping in, but why would the source of a video be a concern? If it were a commentator, sure. But a raw video?

That said, videos are OFTEN misleading. There have been a TON of Karen shaming videos posted that don't tell the whole story. Saw one today on my FB watch feed of a guy and his son in a fenced condo pool when apparently a woman started harassing them asking who they were (there say they were guests of somebody who just moved in). Seems like the woman may have been the property manager and the video clearly starts well after their first interaction. We have no idea if she asked politely several times and identified herself as the manager. But all the comments are that she only harassed them because they were black. She may have, but there's no way you can tell from the abbreviated video. This is where we are. :ohno:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:27 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:07 am If sources aren't relevant, then why the bitching and moaning over the MSM? Are they not a source of information?

Ugh, really hate stepping in, but why would the source of a video be a concern? If it were a commentator, sure. But a raw video?

That said, videos are OFTEN misleading. There have been a TON of Karen shaming videos posted that don't tell the whole story. Saw one today on my FB watch feed of a guy and his son in a fenced condo pool when apparently a woman started harassing them asking who they were (there say they were guests of somebody who just moved in). Seems like the woman may have been the property manager and the video clearly starts well after their first interaction. We have no idea if she asked politely several times and identified herself as the manager. But all the comments are that she only harassed them because they were black. She may have, but there's no way you can tell from the abbreviated video. This is where we are. :ohno:
CG posts video after video in an attempt to prove his position that African Americans are inherently violent and/or inferior. CG questions and deflects from any report that makes Trump look bad. Ibanez is just turning the tables on him and questioning the validity of his videos. How do we know they're not staged? Even if they're real, they're anecdotal and prove nothing.

I pity someone who is so pathetically insecure that they need to put down an entire race of people in order to feel better about themselves.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4

Post by CitadelGrad »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:58 am

CG posts video after video in an attempt to prove his position that African Americans are inherently violent and/or inferior. CG questions and deflects from any report that makes Trump look bad. Ibanez is just turning the tables on him and questioning the validity of his videos. How do we know they're not staged? Even if they're real, they're anecdotal and prove nothing.

I pity someone who is so pathetically insecure that they need to put down an entire race of people in order to feel better about themselves.
Please point out which videos are staged.

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:58 am Even if they're real, they're anecdotal and prove nothing.
By that reasoning, the black men killed by police should be classified the same. Millions of arrests every year go down without death or severe injury (did you actually know there are 10-14M arrests every year, I didn't).
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:58 am

I’m just glad he posted one where the link isn’t flagged as a possible hacker.

(Don’t tell CG that the link in this one is to Apple News)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:05 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:58 am Even if they're real, they're anecdotal and prove nothing.
By that reasoning, the black men killed by police should be classified the same. Millions of arrests every year go down without death or severe injury (did you actually know there are 10-14M arrests every year, I didn't).
I agree. The same applies to all of the videos that clenz posted of white people not being shot after ignoring LEOs and acting in a threatening manner. All of these individual videos are anecdotal and prove nothing. The overall statistics are more accurate but even those shouldn't be considered in a vacuum.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:04 am
89Hen wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:05 am

I agree. The same applies to all of the videos that clenz posted of white people not being shot after ignoring LEOs and acting in a threatening manner. All of these individual videos are anecdotal and prove nothing. The overall statistics are more accurate but even those shouldn't be considered in a vacuum.
But there are 10's of thousands of folks actively "protesting" (looting/rioting) in the name of this red herring. So one is a bigger problem.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:30 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:04 am
But there are 10's of thousands of folks actively "protesting" (looting/rioting) in the name of this red herring. So one is a bigger problem.
I believe I've posted before that I think there is more to the protesting then black people being killed by the police. The killings are a tipping point but it's myopic to focus just on them. The social angst isn't going to stop if the killings stop.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:47 pm
89Hen wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:30 pm
I believe I've posted before that I think there is more to the protesting then black people being killed by the police. The killings are a tipping point but it's myopic to focus just on them. The social angst isn't going to stop if the killings stop.
That sounds like the protesters problem then.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:52 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:47 pm
Maybe it's the alt-righters who want to focus on blacks being killed by police so that they can point to statistics that show that there isn't a discrepancy and then they can ignore other grievances/issues.

These aren't issues that are going to go away if we stick our heads in the sand and dream of the days of Donna Reed. We can 1) sit on one side and argue that everything is fine, 2) sit on the other side and argue that we need to defund the police, etc. or 3) actually communicate and try to come up solutions that are acceptable to everyone. #1 and (despite what Trip thinks) #2 will result in more problems than they solve. Unfortunately, #3 requires leadership which we are sorely lacking.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:47 pm

Maybe it's the alt-righters who want to focus on blacks being killed by police so that they can point to statistics that show that there isn't a discrepancy and then they can ignore other grievances/issues.

These aren't issues that are going to go away if we stick our heads in the sand and dream of the days of Donna Reed. We can 1) sit on one side and argue that everything is fine, 2) sit on the other side and argue that we need to defund the police, etc. or 3) actually communicate and try to come up solutions that are acceptable to everyone. #1 and (despite what Trip thinks) #2 will result in more problems than they solve. Unfortunately, #3 requires leadership which we are sorely lacking.
:nod: :nod: :nod:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

I don't disagree, but if you think there are any solutions in this world that are acceptable to everyone, I have a bridge for sale.

And your first comment is just pointless and stupid. :coffee:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

It's much easier to communicate if you do your best to keep the polarized political figures out of the conversation. Trump says this and the Trump minions are polarized to one train of thought, Biden says this and the far left is polarized to what Biden says. Trumper bash Biden, Bidenese bash Trump and so on. If you take a non-political look and listen to what African Americans are saying, it's not political at all, it's human injustice.

Example, a young black Nnamdi Asomugha gets pulled over by police, while he is driving his mothers car. Police claim car is stolen, put Asomugha in jail overnight.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:38 am

It's much easier to communicate if you do your best to keep the polarized political figures out of the conversation. Trump says this and the Trump minions are polarized to one train of thought, Biden says this and the far left is polarized to what Biden says. Trumper bash Biden, Bidenese bash Trump and so on. If you take a non-political look and listen to what African Americans are saying, it's not political at all, it's human injustice.

Example, a young black Nnamdi Asomugha gets pulled over by police, while he is driving his mothers car. Police claim car is stolen, put Asomugha in jail overnight.
That's why a lot of this needs to happen locally to get things fixed. Trump or Biden or anyone shouting in Washington haven't solved this issue in the past decades and they aren't about to do it now. Most policing is done locally - sometimes all the way down to the township or city level, but even as high as the state level. Leadership, real leadership (i.e. focusing on what to fix and how to do it and how to measure it) at those levels, in coordination, is what needs to happen to correct these injustices. 89's right, not everyone is ever going to be unanimously happy, but get as much people together, implement the right things and ensure that fixes are long-lasting, and you've done the best you can do. Waiting for the federal government to do something that local and state governments should and can be doing right now is not the right way to fix things. And certainly when both parties are trotting out two old white guys, in various states of mental decline, and when both have had significant racial blemishes in their past, just makes waiting on a federal solution all that more pointless.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

If only our leadership positions were not lifetime and that there was some mechanism in place to remove them from office..... :coffee:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:59 am

If only our leadership positions were not lifetime and that there was some mechanism in place to remove them from office..... :coffee:
We have the Hippocratic Oath for Doctors, OSHA for workers safety, NRC for Nuclear safety. Is there anything similar with law enforcement?
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:44 am
Winterborn wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:59 am

We have the Hippocratic Oath for Doctors, OSHA for workers safety, NRC for Nuclear safety. Is there anything similar with law enforcement?
I am not sure what you mean with this?

Two of those are very different than the third (Hippocratic Oath) in that they are government defined and only speak to a set of regulations to follow. The Hippocratic Oath is a voluntary oath and is left up to the individual to follow or not. There is no (at least that I am aware of) regulation that turns it into law.

A quick Google search states there is an oath from the International Association of Chief of Police (IACP) and that depending on the area there is a swearing in oath that closely follows the Uniformed Services Oath of Office (adjusted for each state/area) but who and what that all entails I would defer to those that are/have been in law enforcement.

IACP Oath
On my honor, I will never Betray my integrity, my character Or the public trust. I will always have the courage to hold myself and others accountable for our actions. I will always maintain the highest ethical standards and uphold the values of my community, and the agency I serve.

U.S. Uniformed Services Oath of Office
I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.[1]
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein