Thank you coal!

Political discussions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Thank you coal!

Post by SuperHornet »

LeadBolt wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:48 am For goodness sake, the FRENCH can design, build and operate nuclear power plants safely.

The FRENCH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's not a new thing. Back in the Napoleonic and French monarchy eras, they built ships significantly better than the British, but they couldn't staff them anywhere near as well. The best ships in the British Navy at the time were generally those they'd taken as prizes from the French. Kinda odd that one of the biggest ships in the British Navy was called the Ville de Paris, whereas the French had very few to no ships with British names....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Expected generation capacity shortfall in 2024 for the MISO region. But let's shut down more coal plants! :ohno:

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/extrem ... 8-89225407
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

At about 5:00 p.m. yesterday our region of the grid had a load of 49,000 MW with 21,000 MW being produced from wind. Today at 5 p.m. we are expected to have the same 49,000 MW of load but only 5,900 MW from wind generation. On Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. our area is predicted to have 44,000 MW of load an wind is supposed to be 2,500 MW and at 5:00 p.m. it is supposed to be 47,000 MW of load and 4,000 MW of wind.

Thank you coal and natural gas for keeping my A/C running.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

HI54UNI wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:48 am At about 5:00 p.m. yesterday our region of the grid had a load of 49,000 MW with 21,000 MW being produced from wind. Today at 5 p.m. we are expected to have the same 49,000 MW of load but only 5,900 MW from wind generation. On Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. our area is predicted to have 44,000 MW of load an wind is supposed to be 2,500 MW and at 5:00 p.m. it is supposed to be 47,000 MW of load and 4,000 MW of wind.

So what you're saying is that we can't get power from wind and solar when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining? Do people know about this?? :lol:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:36 am
HI54UNI wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:48 am At about 5:00 p.m. yesterday our region of the grid had a load of 49,000 MW with 21,000 MW being produced from wind. Today at 5 p.m. we are expected to have the same 49,000 MW of load but only 5,900 MW from wind generation. On Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. our area is predicted to have 44,000 MW of load an wind is supposed to be 2,500 MW and at 5:00 p.m. it is supposed to be 47,000 MW of load and 4,000 MW of wind.

So what you're saying is that we can't get power from wind and solar when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining? Do people know about this?? :lol:
Apparently there's a lot of people that don't understand it. :ohno:

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

HI54UNI wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:45 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:36 am

Apparently there's a lot of people that don't understand it. :ohno:
the same people who think electric car batteries fall from heaven and hamburger comes from grocery stores.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

ERCOT live updates: Texas' demand for electricity may exceed the state's power supply today

ERCOT projects it may not have enough power — even in reserves — to meet power demand for a period today, between 2 p.m. and 8 p.m., and urged Texans to conserve electricity to avoid regional, rolling blackouts.

Officials cited a heat wave that has settled over Texas for driving power demand above a system-high record of more than 80,000 megawatts set last week. One megawatt is enough electricity to power about 200 homes on a hot summer day.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/busine ... 296238.php

I saw that ERCOT set new an all time demand record last week and also said a weekend demand record. Going to be ugly today.

Hope Z and the Col have the generators ready to go.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

HI54UNI wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:53 am ERCOT live updates: Texas' demand for electricity may exceed the state's power supply today

ERCOT projects it may not have enough power — even in reserves — to meet power demand for a period today, between 2 p.m. and 8 p.m., and urged Texans to conserve electricity to avoid regional, rolling blackouts.

Officials cited a heat wave that has settled over Texas for driving power demand above a system-high record of more than 80,000 megawatts set last week. One megawatt is enough electricity to power about 200 homes on a hot summer day.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/busine ... 296238.php

I saw that ERCOT set new an all time demand record last week and also said a weekend demand record. Going to be ugly today.

Hope Z and the Col have the generators ready to go.
I have the lake and the pool. :thumb:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

This problem is even worse according to Herschel Walker.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:02 pm This problem is even worse according to Herschel Walker.

Is he wong?
More recently, in January of 2014, an article in the New York Times illustrated how widespread pollution in China directly impacts the rest of the world. Based on a study led by nine scholars, published in the prominent scientific journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the study found that strong global winds called westerlies act as catalysts to intercontinental pollution. The westerly transport black carbon and other pollutants across the Pacific and deposit this toxic matter into Californian valleys and other areas of the Western US. Black carbon poses an especially high risk as it remains in the air even after rainfall. Cities such as Los Angeles suffer at least one extra day a year in which smog levels exceed federal ozone limits as a direct result of Chinese factory pollution (Wong 2014).
https://blogs.furman.edu/chinamyths/201 ... each%20day.
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/21/worl ... .html?_r=0
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:11 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:02 pm This problem is even worse according to Herschel Walker.

Is he wong?
More recently, in January of 2014, an article in the New York Times illustrated how widespread pollution in China directly impacts the rest of the world. Based on a study led by nine scholars, published in the prominent scientific journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the study found that strong global winds called westerlies act as catalysts to intercontinental pollution. The westerly transport black carbon and other pollutants across the Pacific and deposit this toxic matter into Californian valleys and other areas of the Western US. Black carbon poses an especially high risk as it remains in the air even after rainfall. Cities such as Los Angeles suffer at least one extra day a year in which smog levels exceed federal ozone limits as a direct result of Chinese factory pollution (Wong 2014).
* wrong

No but his way of saying it was Kamala Harris level moronic.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:02 pm
* wrong

You have no sense of humor. Look at the very end of what I quoted from the article.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:11 pm

Is he wong?
Should we have considered pre-industrial societies with our pollution in the past? Or lower pollution creating countries currently? How much of China’s pollution was created by offshoring our production to China?

It’s like we all have an obligation to share the planet or some such nonsense…
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:30 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:02 pm
* wrong

You have no sense of humor. Look at the very end of what I quoted from the article.
Sorry, missed that. His way of saying it was Kamala level inept though.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:32 pm
Should we have considered pre-industrial societies with our pollution in the past? Or lower pollution creating countries currently? How much of China’s pollution was created by offshoring our production to China?

Do you actively look for reasons to blame the US for the world's problems?

Doesn't China also have an obligation to share the planet?

Are we responsible (and to blame) for everything bad that happens around the world or is China responsible for what happens in China? Don't they have sovereignty?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:09 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:30 pm
Sorry, missed that. His way of saying it was Kamala level inept though.
Harris’s is worse- she’s just doing a repetitive word salad of adjectives, adverbs, and opinions. Walker just did a moronic way of stating something that was mostly factual.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:14 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:32 pm

Do you actively look for reasons to blame the US for the world's problems?

Doesn't China also have an obligation to share the planet?

Are we responsible (and to blame) for everything bad that happens around the world or is China responsible for what happens in China? Don't they have sovereignty?
Not all. China embraced our trade and is itself a massive polluter. Everyone contributes to globalism and pollution including us, both directly and indirectly.

Do you actively look for things to disagree with me about?

:mrgreen:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Buddy of mine sent me this (no, I don’t have a link).
For those of you that think electric vehicles are the answer- this is a true story from a farmer in the Midwest- and I’m reposting it-

A close friend farms over 10,000 acres of corn in the midwest. The property is spread out over 3 counties. His operation is a "partnership farm" with John Deere. They use the larger farm operations as demonstration projects for the promotion and development of new equipment. He recently received a phone call from his John Deere representative, and they want the farm to go to electric tractors and combines in 2023. He currently has 5 diesel combines that cost $900,000 each that are traded in every 3 years. Also, over 10 really BIG tractors.

JD wants him to go all-electric soon.

He said: "Ok, I have some questions. How do I charge these combines when they are 3 counties away from the shop in the middle of a cornfield, in the middle of nowhere?"

"How do I run them 24 hours a day for 10 or 12 days straight when the harvest is ready, and the weather is coming in?"

"How do I get a 50,000+ lb. combine that takes up the width of an entire road back to the shop 20 miles away when the battery goes dead?"

There was dead silence on the other end of the phone.

When the corn is ready to harvest, it has to have the proper sugar and moisture content. If it is too wet, it has to be put in giant dryers that burn natural or propane gas, and lots of it. Harvest time is critical because if it degrades in sugar content or quality, it can drop the value of his crop by half a million dollars or more.

It is analyzed at the time of sale.

It is standard procedure to run these machines 10 to 12 days straight, 24 hours a day at peak harvest time.
When they need fuel, a tanker truck delivers it, and the machines keep going. John Deere's only answer is "we're working on it."

They are being pushed by the lefty Dems in the government to force these electric machines on the farmer.
These people are out of control.

They are messing with the production of food crops that feed people and livestock... all in the name of their "green dream."

Look for the cost of your box of cornflakes to triple in the next 24 months...”
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

How One Senator Doomed the Democrats' Climate Plan
First, he killed a plan that would have forced power plants to clean up their climate-warming pollution. Then, he shattered an effort to help consumers pay for electric vehicles. And, finally, he said he could not support government incentives for solar and wind companies or any of the other provisions that the rest of his party and his president say are vital to ensure a livable planet.

“It seems odd that Manchin would choose as his legacy to be the one man who single-handedly doomed humanity,”
We're doomed and it's all Manchin's fault!
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:32 am How One Senator Doomed the Democrats' Climate Plan
First, he killed a plan that would have forced power plants to clean up their climate-warming pollution. Then, he shattered an effort to help consumers pay for electric vehicles. And, finally, he said he could not support government incentives for solar and wind companies or any of the other provisions that the rest of his party and his president say are vital to ensure a livable planet.

“It seems odd that Manchin would choose as his legacy to be the one man who single-handedly doomed humanity,”
Thank god he did.

Running diesel generators again today to keep the grid from failing. 50+ cents per kWh we will be paid.

Deutchse Bank saying Germans may have to burn wood this winter to stay warm.
https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... ank-2022-7

Germany’s Uniper forced to draw on gas supplies reserved for winter emergency
Gas is being siphoned from the company’s storage facilities after deliveries from Russia’s Gazprom came to a halt
https://www.ft.com/content/f2dd3263-7f7 ... 93ea50c3a4

The last one is not good. They were trying to fill gas storage before winter and they are instead drawing it down. German economy will crash if they don't have enough gas to keep industries running let alone keeping people from freezing to death.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

HI54UNI wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:36 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:32 am How One Senator Doomed the Democrats' Climate Plan

Thank god he did.

Running diesel generators again today to keep the grid from failing. 50+ cents per kWh we will be paid.

Gas is being siphoned from the company’s storage facilities after deliveries from Russia’s Gazprom came to a halt

The last one is not good. They were trying to fill gas storage before winter and they are instead drawing it down. German economy will crash if they don't have enough gas to keep industries running let alone keeping people from freezing to death.
I don't disagree.

Kalm, what would happen if the entire illiberal climate change wish list were implemented and as result the cost of electricity skyrockets while availability plummets? Would the illiberals take responsibility for the reality that the people most adversely impacted by the changes (the poor and disaffected) or would they cry racism and blame business and the wealthy?
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

Our region of the grid has declared a Resource Advisory though Thursday night. Already calling for diesel generating plants to run this afternoon. 31,000 MW of wind on the system but only expecting 5,100 MW at the time of the peak. As I type this 83% of load is being covered by fossil fuels. Fossil fuels will save lives today by keeping the lights on and the A/C working today.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

HI54UNI wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:51 am Our region of the grid has declared a Resource Advisory though Thursday night. Already calling for diesel generating plants to run this afternoon. 31,000 MW of wind on the system but only expecting 5,100 MW at the time of the peak. As I type this 83% of load is being covered by fossil fuels. Fossil fuels will save lives today by keeping the lights on and the A/C working today.
I guess we can thank Manchin and his Conk buddies. :lol:
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

Sri Lanka and Ghana are prime examples of what happens when a country reaches clean energy goals. Just sayin’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:16 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:36 am

Thank god he did.

I don't disagree.

Kalm, what would happen if the entire illiberal climate change wish list were implemented and as result the cost of electricity skyrockets while availability plummets? Would the illiberals take responsibility for the reality that the people most adversely impacted by the changes (the poor and disaffected) or would they cry racism and blame business and the wealthy?
The sweet spot is relying on and profiting from both fossil and green. War is a great catalyst for this. The poor and disaffected be damned! :lol:

I don’t know if your question qualifies as reductio ad absurdum but it kind of smells like it.

Perhaps the war in Ukraine is now becoming more about resources and less about democracy? 8-)

I miss CID.