I'm glad I live between two nuclear plants. :mrgreen:
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Re: Thank you coal!

Post by HI54UNI »

Baldy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:53 pm I'm glad I live between two nuclear plants. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Everything will be fine.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

A new report shows that the eco-friendliness of fully electric and hybrid vehicles, contrary to the liberal mantra, often depends on where one lives and at what time of day one hooks one's vehicle up to charge. It depends on what source is used to generate the power to begin with. In most places, charging at night drives up the eco-cost because facilities generate power through coal and other similar sources. In some countries, that's all they have, so having an electric car doesn't do all that much to save the environment. The best places are Switzerland (100% nuclear and hydroelectric), Norway (98%), France (96%), Sweden (95%), and Austria (93%). Some of the worst places are Cyprus (4%), Serbia (15%), Estonia (35%), and Holland (37%). Countries like Germany and Spain have invested heavily in solar and wind, so a lot of carbon-cost savings depends on the time one charges one's vehicle, as sun and wind can reduce the cost by 16-18% over night-time charging, which relies heavily on coal and gas.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/elec ... 39459.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

No hydroelectric
No coal
No oil
No natural gas
No nuclear

They REALLY think we're gonna power this country on wind and solar? All by their lonesome? There isn't enough land on the planet to put up enough solar panels or windmills to replace those other sources. One nuke plant produces upwards of 1 GIGAWATT of power. A windmill produces 10 MEGAWATTS. For those of you bad at math, that's 100 windmills to make up for each nuke plant.

It takes 30 solar panels to produce enough power to power one house. Great. Let's put them on every house. Now, how do we power the rest of the grid/users? You see giant solar and windmill farms all over the country (at least where the sun shines or the wind blows consistently) and they're still only providing 2-3% of the power used by the grid, and then only when the sun shines or the wind blows. So, multiply the land use by 30x at a minimum, just to get back to baseline. Then add in the electric vehicle requirements being levied by woke states and that number begins climbing precipitously.

I'm sorry, but without fossil fuels and hydroelectric, "renewable" energy is just not a sustainable option.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Good point, AZ....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:14 pm No hydroelectric
No coal
No oil
No natural gas
No nuclear

They REALLY think we're gonna power this country on wind and solar? All by their lonesome? There isn't enough land on the planet to put up enough solar panels or windmills to replace those other sources. One nuke plant produces upwards of 1 GIGAWATT of power. A windmill produces 10 MEGAWATTS. For those of you bad at math, that's 100 windmills to make up for each nuke plant.

It takes 30 solar panels to produce enough power to power one house. Great. Let's put them on every house. Now, how do we power the rest of the grid/users? You see giant solar and windmill farms all over the country (at least where the sun shines or the wind blows consistently) and they're still only providing 2-3% of the power used by the grid, and then only when the sun shines or the wind blows. So, multiply the land use by 30x at a minimum, just to get back to baseline. Then add in the electric vehicle requirements being levied by woke states and that number begins climbing precipitously.

I'm sorry, but without fossil fuels and hydroelectric, "renewable" energy is just not a sustainable option.
But, but, but storage. :roll:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

No coal
No oil
No natural gas
No nuclear

I take it you heard Kerry's comments on no coal by 2030?

Apparently unicorn farts are to power our electric grid. :roll:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:41 pm
No coal
No oil
No natural gas
No nuclear

If only we could capture cow farts. They’re the power source of the future, Born!
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:21 pm

If only we could capture cow farts. They’re the power source of the future, Born!
Going to be a short future with everybody switching to veggie "burgers" and "meat" being grown in a test tube. Then again, if I can't get a good free range beef that has been fattened up a bit on corn, I don't really want to be around anymore. :D
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

AZGrizFan wrote:No hydroelectric
No coal
No oil
No natural gas
No nuclear

Yes, it is -

Nuclear power is renewable given the speed at which fissionable material is expended.

It’s also efficient and safe - the US Navy has proven that.

And with it, we can cost effectively hydrolysize water, which means hydrogen fuel cells, which means we can get rid of those horribly polluting battery cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

CID1990 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:22 am
No coal
No oil
No natural gas
No nuclear

Yes, it is -

Nuclear power is renewable given the speed at which fissionable material is expended.

And with it, we can cost effectively hydrolysize water, which means hydrogen fuel cells, which means we can get rid of those horribly polluting battery cars.

Jimmy Carter went against his own knowledge to support his party's perception on Nuclear energy.

Carter studied reactor technology and nuclear physics and served as senior officer of the pre-commissioning crew of the Seawolf, the second nuclear submarine.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

No coal
No oil
No natural gas
No nuclear

Yes, it is -

Watched a fascinating overview of what Admiral Rickover went through in the first reactor design for the Nautilus this past week.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

No coal
No oil
No natural gas
No nuclear

Yes, it is -

WE agree on that, but the progtards do not. That's why I included it on the "No" list...
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

In a little over an hour this morning the SPP energy market dropped from 16,000 MW of wind energy to 12,000 MW of wind energy. That's enough energy for 2.6 million homes. Guess what had to ramp up to offset that loss? Fossil fuels. Thanks coal and nat gas!

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

HI54UNI wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:39 am In a little over an hour this morning the SPP energy market dropped from 16,000 MW of wind energy to 12,000 MW of wind energy. That's enough energy for 2.6 million homes. Guess what had to ramp up to offset that loss? Fossil fuels. Thanks coal and nat gas!
Like I said, only when the sun shines or the wind blows. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

No coal
No oil
No natural gas
No nuclear

They just need to put the wind farms where the real wind is ...

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

No coal
No oil
No natural gas
No nuclear

nuclear is back on the table :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:37 am
Yes, it is -

WE agree on that, but the progtards do not. That's why I included it on the "No" list...
You're out-of-touch again. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

SD: For me, the "problem" with nuclear power plants is both history and appearances, and in both cases it's bogus. People are worried about another Chernobyl, but such an occurrence is highly unlikely given the high state of modern nuclear safety protocols. And the appearances? Some people see Homer Simpson doing stupid things inside a nuclear power plant, thereby making a new Chernobyl/Three Mile Island scenario more likely, but again, the modern nuclear safety protocols mitigate that scenario to a high degree. If ANYONE looks even close to Homer, they get escorted out, if, indeed, they get in in the first place. The left pleads "Follow the science" with COVID, yet run like scalded dogs away from something as safe as modern nuclear power. Heck, the Navy has run on nuclear power (for submarines, carriers, and an older class of cruisers) for decades with a VERY good track record, and many civilian nuclear power plants recruit a large portion of their workers from the Navy Nuclear Power Program. The left is irrationally running scared, particularly here in Commie-controlled California, and it's sad....

andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

SuperHornet wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:38 am SD: For me, the "problem" with nuclear power plants is both history and appearances, and in both cases it's bogus. People are worried about another Chernobyl, but such an occurrence is highly unlikely given the high state of modern nuclear safety protocols. And the appearances? Some people see Homer Simpson doing stupid things inside a nuclear power plant, thereby making a new Chernobyl/Three Mile Island scenario more likely, but again, the modern nuclear safety protocols mitigate that scenario to a high degree. If ANYONE looks even close to Homer, they get escorted out, if, indeed, they get in in the first place. The left pleads "Follow the science" with COVID, yet run like scalded dogs away from something as safe as modern nuclear power. Heck, the Navy has run on nuclear power (for submarines, carriers, and an older class of cruisers) for decades with a VERY good track record, and many civilian nuclear power plants recruit a large portion of their workers from the Navy Nuclear Power Program. The left is irrationally running scared, particularly here in Commie-controlled California, and it's sad....
Its not irrational. There just isn't any money to be made from it and its efficient and cost effective.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:21 pm

COW FARTS ARE RUINING THE ENVIRONMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:44 pm
No coal
No oil
No natural gas
No nuclear

nuclear is back on the table :coffee:
yes, that's why there's so many new plants under construction. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:38 am SD: For me, the "problem" with nuclear power plants is both history and appearances, and in both cases it's bogus. People are worried about another Chernobyl, but such an occurrence is highly unlikely given the high state of modern nuclear safety protocols. And the appearances? Some people see Homer Simpson doing stupid things inside a nuclear power plant, thereby making a new Chernobyl/Three Mile Island scenario more likely, but again, the modern nuclear safety protocols mitigate that scenario to a high degree. If ANYONE looks even close to Homer, they get escorted out, if, indeed, they get in in the first place. The left pleads "Follow the science" with COVID, yet run like scalded dogs away from something as safe as modern nuclear power. Heck, the Navy has run on nuclear power (for submarines, carriers, and an older class of cruisers) for decades with a VERY good track record, and many civilian nuclear power plants recruit a large portion of their workers from the Navy Nuclear Power Program. The left is irrationally running scared, particularly here in Commie-controlled California, and it's sad....
Chernobyl could never happen in America because American plants aren't designed like the Chernobyl plant was. It was an unsafe, unstable design, poorly constructed and poorly maintained. What should REALLY concern the world is that the Soviets have (or had) a couple dozen more plants JUST like Chernobyl. Not sure how many are still operational, or if the Ruskies got their shit together.
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

For goodness sake, the FRENCH can design, build and operate nuclear power plants safely.

The FRENCH!