Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Thank you coal!

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:05 pm Porsche says its synthetic fuel will make internal combustion as clean as EVs
In a recent interview with Evo magazine, Porsche VP of Motorsport and GT cars, Dr. Frank Walliser, says that synthetic fuels, also called eFuels, can reduce the carbon dioxide emissions of existing ICE cars by as much as 85 percent. And, he says, when you account for the wheel-to-well impact of manufacturing the EV, it's a wash.
Reminds me, the Germans were the 1st to come up with synthetic fuels back in the early 1900s with the conversion of coal to synthetic fuel. Prior to the outbreak of WW II, the krauts had plenty of domestic coal, but almost all their oil had to be imported. To fuel the NAZI war machine, they used synthetic oil, gas, rubber, etc..
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

This would have been very bad. Would have likely resulted in a complete blackout in ERCOT. Would have taken days or even weeks to get power back everywhere. And to be clear this isn't a failure of nuclear power - it was too much load and not enough generation to cover it. The plant's safety features start to kick in to make sure the plant isn't damaged.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

All my posts are satire
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

HI54UNI wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:43 am This would have been very bad. Would have likely resulted in a complete blackout in ERCOT. Would have taken days or even weeks to get power back everywhere. And to be clear this isn't a failure of nuclear power - it was too much load and not enough generation to cover it. The plant's safety features start to kick in to make sure the plant isn't damaged.
Difference being, 3 days later it was 80 degrees here. So, “no power” is a relative thing, depending on the weather....would have sucked to be without power for an extended period (beyond the extended period we were ALREADY without power), but it’s a whole different thing when it’s 9 degrees versus 80.

We went through the worst 48 hours (temp wise) with exactly 3 minutes and 36 seconds of power. Not sure how much worse the nuke plant going offline could have made it, other than extending the outages beyond the terminus of the storm....
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:46 am
HI54UNI wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:43 am This would have been very bad. Would have likely resulted in a complete blackout in ERCOT. Would have taken days or even weeks to get power back everywhere. And to be clear this isn't a failure of nuclear power - it was too much load and not enough generation to cover it. The plant's safety features start to kick in to make sure the plant isn't damaged.
Difference being, 3 days later it was 80 degrees here. So, “no power” is a relative thing, depending on the weather....would have sucked to be without power for an extended period (beyond the extended period we were ALREADY without power), but it’s a whole different thing when it’s 9 degrees versus 80.

We went through the worst 48 hours (temp wise) with exactly 3 minutes and 36 seconds of power. Not sure how much worse the nuke plant going offline could have made it, other than extending the outages beyond the terminus of the storm....
All true but a grid black start would be very bad. Nobody has power in the state. Potentially days before anybody gets power back. And potentially weeks before everybody does.

Article about how everything unfolded.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... f=5dj0X2VO
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

All my posts are satire
Winterborn
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:46 am

Apples and oranges I know but back in '97 we went almost two full weeks without power during one of the worst winters on record. Had a kerosene heater and propane oven for heat. Made a big fort in the living room and we all slept there. Chopped a hole in the slough to get water for the cattle (had about 50 head) and melted snow to fill 5 gallon buckets with water so we could flush the toilets once a day and only did #2 when we absolutely had to in the house. All our perishables were moved outside so they could stay frozen.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein