Political discussions
Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Mostly myself.
A.K.A.: LabiaInTheSunlight

The Reagan "Revolution": A Myth Exploded

Post by Cap'n Cat »

http://www.beliefnet.com/columnists/att ... loded.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EXPLODED, no less!!!!!!

And from a Conk, Christian outlet!!!!!!

Put away the Bachmann blow-up dolls and pay attention, Tman and Baldy!!!!

As “the conservative movement” seeks to regain its bearings following Barack Obama’s reelection, its adherents should recognize, first of all, that its name doesn’t do justice to its true character.

That is, the conservative movement is actually a neoconservative movement.

With rare exception, virtually every “star” in the movement is a neoconservative. From the personalities on Fox News to the shining lights of “conservative” talk radio, from “conservative” politicians to the most well known “conservative” writers, there is scarcely an intellect to be found that isn’t indebted to the neoconservative worldview.

Names must be named if constructive change is to occur.

Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Mark Levin, no less than Bill Kristol, Charles Krauthammer, and Bill Bennett; Paul Ryan and Marco Rubio, as much as Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich; David Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, and Michele Malkin, like George Will, David Brooks, and David Frum, are all neoconservatives.

Translation: they are alike proponents of Gargantuan Government.

:o :o :o :o :o

There is a superabundance of evidence, from their policy prescriptions to the politicians for whom they have offered endless cover, to substantiate this. But the most glaring exhibit is their veneration of Ronald Wilson Reagan.

To be more accurate, these are actually two exhibits. The friends of liberty, real conservatives, revere no politician, however virtuous he may be. And they certainly don’t revere politicians at the national level.

The veneration of this politician, though, Reagan, is even more revealing. Reagan was definitely likable—a fact that, being a Republican president in an era prior to the explosion of non-Democratic-friendly media outlets, speaks to his considerable talents—but he was no conservative.

Despite all of his “limited government” rhetoric, Reagan was as much of a champion of Gargantuan Government as anyone else. He is heralded by “conservatives” as a tax cutter. However, his much touted “tax cut” of 1981 was more than offset by two tax increases that year alone, to say nothing of the multiple tax hikes for which Reagan pushed all throughout his eight years in the Oval office.

Federal spending—and, thus, the federal government—expanded exponentially under Reagan. Both the deficit and the debt rose astronomically throughout his two terms.

His promises to the contrary aside, Reagan singularly failed to eliminate a single government program, let alone an agency.

And liberty diminished.

The deregulation for which Reagan typically receives credit consisted of measures that Jimmy Carter implemented but which didn’t take effect until after the Gipper was already in office.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Reagan did nothing—nothing—to advance conservatism on the cultural front either. It was the Reagan administration that launched a so-called “war on drugs.” The idea of a local government rendering it a crime for an adult citizen to ingest a potentially harmful substance is sufficient to make any friend of liberty cock an eyebrow. The idea of an ostensibly federal government doing so should make him recoil in horror.

Yet Reagan waged a “war on drugs,” a war that continues over three decades later and that shows zero signs of terminating at any time in the near—or distant—future.

It is probably the case that, to some extent, Reagan’s tough talk and liberty-centered rhetoric contributed to the implosion of the Soviet Union. Yet precisely because it was an implosion that befell the evil empire, Reagan was, at best, a catalyst that merely expedited a process of disintegration that had already been well underway.

If there really was a “Reagan revolution,” can someone please say what it accomplished? It isn’t just that Reagan’s presidency did nothing to arrest, and much to assist, the progressive’s agenda of cultural transformation. Some libertarian-minded thinkers, like Murray Rothbard, for instance, have argued, quite convincingly, that Reagan actually arrested the rising tide of libertarianism that was gaining steam in the mid to late 1970’s by co-opting some of its elements while relegating others to the periphery.

Ronald Wilson Reagan was neither a conservative nor a libertarian. Though our verdict on this score is irrefutable, there isn’t a mainstream “conservative” publication in America that would print my argument. The deification of Reagan has assured this.

But it is just this elevation of Reagan to the stature of a god that discloses for all with eyes to see that “the conservative movement” doomed itself a long time ago.

Long-dead horse's ass...........

:coffee:
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: The Reagan "Revolution": A Myth Exploded

Post by Pwns »

So you're saying he's not an ultra-right kkkapitalist ideologue who is responsible for all of the economic problems we have today?

BTW, Reagan didn't start the War on Drugs...it started with Nixon and continued in every donk and republican administration after that. :coffee:
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

I don't get it, Cappy normally says Reagan is responsible for all these bad things that he started in his administration, and then he posts an article, with much fanfare, that seems to say that Reagan did none of those things that Cappy normally blames him for.

I miss the old Cappy, he was much funnier and more sane. Now it's like expandsos has a twin somewhere in the midwest. :ohno:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

Well according to our current president he was "transformative". I supposed that is something :?
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Pwns wrote:So you're saying he's not an ultra-right kkkapitalist ideologue who is responsible for all of the economic problems we have today?

BTW, Reagan didn't start the War on Drugs...it started with Nixon and continued in every donk and republican administration after that. :coffee:
:nod:

50 years of miserable failure. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

[quote="Cap'n Cat"]http://www.beliefnet.com/columnists/att ... loded.html

EXPLODED, no less!!!!!!

And from a Conk, Christian outlet!!!!!!

Put away the Bachmann blow-up dolls and pay attention, Tman and Baldy!!!!

:lol:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

GannonFan wrote:I don't get it, Cappy normally says Reagan is responsible for all these bad things that he started in his administration, and then he posts an article, with much fanfare, that seems to say that Reagan did none of those things that Cappy normally blames him for.

I miss the old Cappy, he was much funnier and more sane. Now it's like expandsos has a twin somewhere in the midwest. :ohno:
His last few thread fails have been very painful to witness.
Hopefully he's just knocking off the rust and will be back in old form shortly. :thumb:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

OL FU wrote:Well according to our current president he was "transformative". I supposed that is something :?
:lol: :lol:

Every time Obama mentions Reagan, my opinion of Reagan is reduced.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Cap'n Cat »

AZGrizFan wrote:
OL FU wrote:Well according to our current president he was "transformative". I supposed that is something :?
:lol: :lol:

Every time Obama mentions Reagan, my opinion of Reagan is reduced.

I am STILL LMAO @ your sig gif!!!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Cap'n Cat »

Pwns wrote:So you're saying he's not an ultra-right kkkapitalist ideologue who is responsible for all of the economic problems we have today?

Um, STOOPID FUCK.......

Learn to pay attention :dunce:

The article does not say he "started" the War on Drugs, you ignorant motherfucking Conk shitnose. Check again, Rick Perry. Now, crawl back in that crackhouse you call a home in Bugtussle, STFU and let the big boys play.

:ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch
I am a fan of: Morehead State

Post by D1B »

Baldy wrote:
GannonFan wrote:I don't get it, Cappy normally says Reagan is responsible for all these bad things that he started in his administration, and then he posts an article, with much fanfare, that seems to say that Reagan did none of those things that Cappy normally blames him for.

His last few thread fails have been very painful to witness.
Hopefully he's just knocking off the rust and will be back in old form shortly. :thumb:
Big whiff, GannonFuck. Typical Bawdry fuck up too. :ohno:

If anything, the piece highlights just how misguided and uninformed you numbskull conks are for deifying the asshole.

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

D1B wrote:
Baldy wrote: His last few thread fails have been very painful to witness.
Big whiff, ****. Typical Bawdry **** up too. :ohno:

If anything, the piece highlights just how misguided and uninformed you numbskull conks are for deifying the asshole.

Reagan did not say that about the mujaheddin.

Your homework is to go look up who he actually did say it about (not any more savory but ... accuracy, y'know?)
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch

Post by D1B »

CID1990 wrote:
D1B wrote:
Big whiff, ****. Typical Bawdry **** up too. :ohno:

Your homework is to go look up who he actually did say it about (not any more savory but ... accuracy, y'know?)
I stand corrected. He's still a criminal.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Wrong....runs in the DNA of that inbred donk family tree. :nod:

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch

Post by D1B »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:Wrong....runs in the DNA of that inbred donk family tree. :nod:
Beats racism, misogyny and fucking boys inherent in conk DNA.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

D1B wrote:
ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:Wrong....runs in the DNA of that inbred donk family tree. :nod:
Beats racism, misogyny and fucking boys inherent in conk DNA.

Id suck a racist dudes vagina to not be you........... :nod:

:coffee:

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Nice try. Cap Those who were alive at the time and old enough to know what was going on know better.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Bronco
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Post by Bronco »

-
A bad president gave us Reagan a man that loved his country
Lets hope that after this disaster of a president it can give rise to another great one
Good luck USA

Looks like 100% of the lefties on his site aren't proud and seems like they actually dislike the country
The Pew Research survey found that just 40% of so-called Solid Liberals “often feel proud to be American” while "60% say that characterization does not fit them."

http://www.people-press.org/files/2014/ ... elease.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. Al Swearengen
http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/childr ... bronco.wav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Bronco wrote:-
A bad president gave us Reagan a man that loved his country
Lets hope that after this disaster of a president it can give rise to another great one
Good luck USA

Looks like 100% of the lefties on his site aren't proud and seems like they actually dislike the country
The Pew Research survey found that just 40% of so-called Solid Liberals “often feel proud to be American” while "60% say that characterization does not fit them."

http://www.people-press.org/files/2014/ ... elease.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:ohno:

Who cares what somebody is "Proud" of...
Jeffery Dahmer was proud also

People are proud of all kinds of ridiculous crap
America exists with YOU and without YOU - and will anybody care when you're gone..?

:dunce:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

D1B wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Speaking of whiff...

:rofl:
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch

Post by D1B »

Baldy wrote:
D1B wrote:
Speaking of whiff...

:rofl:
Was a wash, Baglady.

Was a valid quote by that retarded old fuck about pieces of shit just as bad as your Taluban heroes.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Cap'n Cat wrote:

Um, STOOPID FUCK.......

Learn to pay attention :dunce:

The article does not say he "started" the War on Drugs, you ignorant motherfucking Conk shitnose. Check again, Rick Perry. Now, crawl back in that crackhouse you call a home in Bugtussle, STFU and let the big boys play.

:ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
Why does it say he launched a war on drugs, Gilligan? And why does it even bring it up in the first place?
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
mrklean
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern Uni.

Post by mrklean »

If you knew what he really did to this country back in the late 80's, you would not be calling him a Great American.
ImageImage
FROM DA DURTY SOUTH!
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

mrklean wrote:If you knew what he really did to this country back in the late 80's, you would not be calling him a Great American.
What's the scoop, spandos? :shock:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I think my favorite Reagan quote is that "Trees cause more pollution than automobiles do." :rofl: