The Ukraine Crisis

Political discussions
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

The Ukraine Crisis

Post by Ibanez »

What's that about? Is Newman finally conceding to Kramer?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... kaded.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ukraine accused Russia of staging an "armed invasion" of Crimea on Friday as the ex-Soviet state's ousted leader prepared to emerge defiant from five days of hiding after winning protection from Moscow.
Ukraine regains control of airports after 'armed invasion': live
Unidentified armed men were patrolling outside of Crimea's main airport early Friday while gunmen were also reported to have seized another airfield on the southwest of the peninsula where ethnic Russians are a majority and where pro-Moscow sentiment runs high.
Last edited by Ibanez on Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Re: The Ukraine

Post by YoUDeeMan »

Russia should just take back their port, let Crimea separate from the Ukraine, and everyone goes (says) home happy.
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

Cluck U wrote:Russia should just take back their port, let Crimea separate from the Ukraine, and everyone goes (says) home happy.
Its not much different than us having a base at Guantanamo Bay really.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

bluehenbillk wrote:
Cluck U wrote:Russia should just take back their port, let Crimea separate from the Ukraine, and everyone goes (says) home happy.
I thought Obama closed that base :lol:
ASUMountaineer
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Appalachian State

Post by ASUMountaineer »

The ish could potentially be on the verge of hitting the fan there. But, that's assuming the new regime in Kiev has any ground to stand on.
Appalachian State Mountaineers:

National Champions: 2005, 2006, and 2007
Southern Conference Champions: 1986, 1987, 1991, 1995, 1999, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT! WE'RE GONNA SHOUT IT! NOTHING'S HOTTER THAN A-S-U!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

It wouldn't be shocking to see Crimea go the way of South Ossestia (or whatever that was called - the breakaway country from Georgia). Crimea was part of Russia (the soviet state) until the 50's when it was transferred to the Ukraine, so it's not like it's always been part of the Ukraine. And it is already autonomous to a large degree within the Ukrainian constitution anyway, so there's some precedent even in Ukranian law.

The problem is, though, if they let Crimea go, what do they do with other provinces in the eastern part of the country that may also want to shift to Russia? Can't let wide swaths of the country just leave. (cue citdog and Ibanez).
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote:It wouldn't be shocking to see Crimea go the way of South Ossestia (or whatever that was called - the breakaway country from Georgia). Crimea was part of Russia (the soviet state) until the 50's when it was transferred to the Ukraine, so it's not like it's always been part of the Ukraine. And it is already autonomous to a large degree within the Ukrainian constitution anyway, so there's some precedent even in Ukranian law.

The problem is, though, if they let Crimea go, what do they do with other provinces in the eastern part of the country that may also want to shift to Russia? Can't let wide swaths of the country just leave. (cue citdog and Ibanez).
:lol: If you ever paid attention, you would know that I thought Southern Secession was a bad idea. It was set up for failure from the get go.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote:
GannonFan wrote:It wouldn't be shocking to see Crimea go the way of South Ossestia (or whatever that was called - the breakaway country from Georgia). Crimea was part of Russia (the soviet state) until the 50's when it was transferred to the Ukraine, so it's not like it's always been part of the Ukraine. And it is already autonomous to a large degree within the Ukrainian constitution anyway, so there's some precedent even in Ukranian law.

:lol: If you ever paid attention, you would know that I thought Southern Secession was a bad idea. It was set up for failure from the get go.
Yeah, no slavery in the Crimea - they might have a shot. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: :lol: If you ever paid attention, you would know that I thought Southern Secession was a bad idea. It was set up for failure from the get go.
Yeah, no slavery in the Crimea - they might have a shot. :coffee:
Slavery or not, the South should not have seceded. :coffee:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Let Sweden, Norway and France take care of this.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

CID1990 wrote:Let Sweden, Norway and France take care of this.
They are still recovering from their efforts in the Olympic biathlon. Give them some time to recuperate. :D
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Russia has invaded...

Russia admits that it has moved troops in Ukraine

Russia has finally confirmed that it has moved troops into Ukraine's restive Crimea region, after speculation about Moscow's involvement

Russian troops have moved into Crimea in what Moscow is calling a mission to “protect Black Sea Fleet’s positions” but which the Ukrainian government has denounced as an “armed intervention.”

The Russian foreign ministry said Friday that it had informed the Ukrainian government that armoured units from the Black Sea Fleet base near Sevastopol had entered Crimea in order to protect fleet positions.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... raine.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:thumb:
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: The McManus Brothers
A.K.A.: Duffman

Post by BlueHen86 »

CID1990 wrote:Let Sweden, Norway and France take care of this.
Agreed. I think the Russia should get out, but I don't want the us to get involved. Let the Sweden, the Norway and the France handle it. :D
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

bluehenbillk wrote:
It's quite a bit different. Guantanamo is leased. The Crimea isn't.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Has Obama drawn an imaginary red line yet?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

CitadelGrad wrote:Guantanamo is leased.
:roll:

That's certainly one way to look at it...... :lol:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Putin could annex Long Island and Obama wouldn't lift a finger.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

The Ukraine

Post by Col Hogan »

Ivytalk wrote:Putin could annex Long Island and Obama wouldn't lift a finger.
If he could figure out how to tax them, he would
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Ivytalk wrote:Putin could annex Long Island and Obama wouldn't lift a finger.
:roll:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

And what would you great and mighty warriors do?

Maybe invade say China?
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote:Has Obama drawn an imaginary red line yet?
:jack: :roll:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5

Post by YoUDeeMan »

BDKJMU wrote:Has Obama drawn an imaginary red line yet?
:rofl:

In a way, Obama has put up red lines...and had little success, yet again. Obama has repeatedly threated "consequences" for Russia...and of course the White House lap dog Biden has been yapping and snarling up a storm. And Putin continues to call Obama's bluff. :lol:

All the while, Putin has recognized Obama for what he really is...a do-nothing clown that is not able to reach any compromise with anyone (because Obama doesn't want to compromise on anything) and who only gets his way when he forces things through by fiat.

Putin knows Obama...they have a lot in common. :lol:

YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5

Post by YoUDeeMan »

dbackjon wrote:Russia has invaded...

Russia has finally confirmed that it has moved troops into Ukraine's restive Crimea region, after speculation about Moscow's involvement

Russian troops have moved into Crimea in what Moscow is calling a mission to “protect Black Sea Fleet’s positions” but which the Ukrainian government has denounced as an “armed intervention.”

The Russian foreign ministry said Friday that it had informed the Ukrainian government that armoured units from the Black Sea Fleet base near Sevastopol had entered Crimea in order to protect fleet positions.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... raine.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We invaded Iraq, Afghanistan...we have troops and have supported proxies in various countries helping to destabilize their governments, we supply troops, equipment, financing, and training to some of the most backward thinking, people oppressing governments this world has ever seen.

Obama was kicked out of Iraq (unwillingly, although the press won't cover that much), and is now getting kicked out of Afghanistan (unwillingly, although the press won't cover that much).

As we speak, Obama continues to violate the sovereignty of multiple countries on multiple continents on an almost daily basis, continues to destabilize the government of multiple countries on a daily basis, and continues to work with multinational corporations that want to rape the people on a daily basis in various countries around the world.

Putin is no worse than Obama...in fact a valid argument can be made that Putin is a poor man's copy cat. :nod:

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Cluck U wrote:
dbackjon wrote:Russia has invaded...

We invaded Iraq, Afghanistan...we have troops and have supported proxies in various countries helping to destabilize their governments, we supply troops, equipment, financing, and training to some of the most backward thinking, people oppressing governments this world has ever seen.

Obama was kicked out of Iraq (unwillingly, although the press won't cover that much), and is now getting kicked out of Afghanistan (unwillingly, although the press won't cover that much).

As we speak, Obama continues to violate the sovereignty of multiple countries on multiple continents on an almost daily basis, continues to destabilize the government of multiple countries on a daily basis, and continues to work with multinational corporations that want to rape the people on a daily basis in various countries around the world.

Putin is no worse than Obama...in fact a valid argument can be made that Putin is a poor man's copy cat. :nod:
:nod:

You left out that the administration is also floating the idea of executing another US citizen without due process and has worked closely with the Brits on threatening incarceration and violating the rights of dissenting journalists like Moazzam Begg and Glen Greenwald. :nod:
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5

Post by YoUDeeMan »

kalm wrote: :nod:

You left out that the administration is also floating the idea of executing another US citizen without due process and has worked closely with the Brits on threatening incarceration and violating the rights of dissenting journalists like Moazzam Begg and Glen Greenwald. :nod:
Indeed. Obama has proven to be a megalomaniac and tyrant on most levels.

Nobel Peace Prize. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: