Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: The Ukraine Crisis

Post by kalm »

This could probably go in the Russian thread but it applies here too.
This is what Schmidt was referring to in his recent Twitter message to Meghan McCain, which featured a link to The Nation article and Schmidt’s comment, “Your Father tolerated his campaign chairman being in business and working for Putin through his association with Yanukovych.”

Schmidt added, “Yanukovych, as you probably have no idea, was Putin’s puppet in Ukraine. The story of American corruption in Ukraine starts here. It starts in John McCain’s operation, not Trump’s.”

That is a fact. And it matters a lot more than the sordid details of the lies the 2008 McCain campaign told about the senator’s affair with a telecommunications lobbyist—although that corruption ought not be forgotten. What needs to be understood is that, while Davis and Manafort eventually went their separate ways, the seeds of Putin’s influence within the Republican Party were planted long before Trump took over. Trump nurtured the seeds to fruition, with an assist from Manafort that led a 2020 report from the Republican-controlled US Senate Intelligence Committee to conclude that Manafort’s “high-level access and willingness to share information with individuals closely affiliated with the Russian intelligence services” created a circumstance during the Trump campaign and presidency that “represented a grave counterintelligence threat.”

Say what you will about Schmidt—as many of his former compatriots now attack him, and as some in the media mock him—but he has provided a true picture of the degeneracy of a Republican Party that began the process of surrendering its honor long before Donald Trump joined its ranks.
https://www.thenation.com/article/polit ... ain/tnamp/
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:00 am This could probably go in the Russian thread but it applies here too.
This is what Schmidt was referring to in his recent Twitter message to Meghan McCain, which featured a link to The Nation article and Schmidt’s comment, “Your Father tolerated his campaign chairman being in business and working for Putin through his association with Yanukovych.”

Schmidt added, “Yanukovych, as you probably have no idea, was Putin’s puppet in Ukraine. The story of American corruption in Ukraine starts here. It starts in John McCain’s operation, not Trump’s.”

That is a fact. And it matters a lot more than the sordid details of the lies the 2008 McCain campaign told about the senator’s affair with a telecommunications lobbyist—although that corruption ought not be forgotten. What needs to be understood is that, while Davis and Manafort eventually went their separate ways, the seeds of Putin’s influence within the Republican Party were planted long before Trump took over. Trump nurtured the seeds to fruition, with an assist from Manafort that led a 2020 report from the Republican-controlled US Senate Intelligence Committee to conclude that Manafort’s “high-level access and willingness to share information with individuals closely affiliated with the Russian intelligence services” created a circumstance during the Trump campaign and presidency that “represented a grave counterintelligence threat.”

Say what you will about Schmidt—as many of his former compatriots now attack him, and as some in the media mock him—but he has provided a true picture of the degeneracy of a Republican Party that began the process of surrendering its honor long before Donald Trump joined its ranks.
https://www.thenation.com/article/polit ... ain/tnamp/
So McCain was a piece of shit who only cared about himself? Don't know why the Podesta brother isn't listed either. He was best buds with Manafort eating at the Ukraine/Russia trough.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:26 am
They are withdrawing because the US 155mm howitzers are now nearby. They are giving the howitzers room.

It was a mistake to let them reach the front lines, but they aren't moving back due to Ukrainians fighting hand to hand combat.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:16 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:32 pm

No, most of the generals (mid 40-50s) are Gen X.
The top 3 in leadership are all boomers.
I’m referring to those killed which you were alluding to. Recall seeing ages reported mid 40s-mid 50s..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:48 am
kalm wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:26 am
They are withdrawing because the US 155mm howitzers are now nearby. They are giving the howitzers room.

It was a mistake to let them reach the front lines, but they aren't moving back due to Ukrainians fighting hand to hand combat.
You mean this artillery??? :lol:
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:37 am So how exactly is all the heavy weapons (artillery) we are sending Ukraine supposed to make it's way to where it's supposed to go? Good luck trying to put it on a rail car or drive it.

And, your theory makes no sense. Those same howitzers are now very close to being within range of the Belgorod - Izyum supply line. facepalm.gif
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:30 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:48 am

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:37 am So how exactly is all the heavy weapons (artillery) we are sending Ukraine supposed to make it's way to where it's supposed to go? Good luck trying to put it on a rail car or drive it.

And, your theory makes no sense. Those same howitzers are now very close to being within range of the Belgorod - Izyum supply line. facepalm.gif
Actually, the guy I heard it from said the same thing. He expected Russia to be able to prevent that stuff from hitting the front lines. Now he's said if Russia can't stop it, that's a problem. Possible escalation of war type problem.

What theory? That someone would step back and out of range of better artillery?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:59 pm
kalm wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:16 am

The top 3 in leadership are all boomers.
I’m referring to those killed which you were alluding to. Recall seeing ages reported mid 40s-mid 50s..
Well that was in the article. I should have been more clear in expanding the conversation. I was referring to the master strategists.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:53 pm
Skjellyfetti wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:30 pm

Actually, the guy I heard it from said the same thing. He expected Russia to be able to prevent that stuff from hitting the front lines. Now he's said if Russia can't stop it, that's a problem. Possible escalation of war type problem.

So Russia is still winning? Thank god.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:59 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:53 pm

As far as I had understood it, yes, Russia was grinding it out methodically. Don't know what this means in the long run, but it certainly wasn't what Russia wanted.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:22 pm

As far as I had understood it, yes, Russia was grinding it out methodically. Don't know what this means in the long run, but it certainly wasn't what Russia wanted.
(Hint) They’ve already lost.

Aside from the long game it’s widely reported that they’re currently losing ground in the east and attempting to take defensive positions. They also (as previously mentioned have some serious threats to supply lines.

Better luck in the future. :thumb: :lol:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:57 pm

Aside from the long game it’s widely reported that they’re currently losing ground in the east and attempting to take defensive positions. They also (as previously mentioned have some serious threats to supply lines.

What is your definition of Russian victory? Is it all of Ukraine, or just creating a buffer (with denazification ).
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:10 pm

What is your definition of Russian victory? Is it all of Ukraine, or just creating a buffer (with denazification ).
I’m sorry, if you’re still on denazification, I can’t help you.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Newsflash: Ukraine borders Russia. No matter WHERE the new lines are drawn (assuming Ukraine gives up territory) they'll STILL border Ukraine. There will be no buffer.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:14 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:52 am I was reading somewhere that as of right now, it'll take at least a year to restock the number of Javelin weapons we've given to Ukraine so far, and likely longer to replace the Stinger missiles since there's not even an active manufacturing line to produce those. I'm not negating that these loans to the Ukrainians have been both useful and necessary - thwarting evil isn't free. Any chance that China is just biding its time until our arsenal is pretty depleted and then making their move on Taiwan? Granted, the Javelin's won't really protect Taiwan, can't see China landing tons of tanks there, but the Stingers would be important. Again granted, CID always said Taiwan wouldn't last very long anyway if China really committed to it, but it does feel vulnerable to be using up our stock of weapons in one fight when another fight could be brewing in the relative short future.
Posted an article a while back on this. A lot of the Western/NATO countries have depleted a good amount of their stockpiles via the Ukraine War. The article questioned if another war broke out or that those countries needed those weapons to defend themselves, how would that demand be filled. Very interesting.
Meh. The Western/NATO stockpiles were intended for use against Russia anyway. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

They're going to lose Crimea too
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:58 pm

I'll make sure to toss all those Atlantic and Nation articles decrying Naziism over the last 5 years in the trash and move the bookmarks to "fake news" then.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:50 pm

Newsflash: Ukraine borders Russia. No matter WHERE the new lines are drawn (assuming Ukraine gives up territory) they'll STILL border Ukraine. There will be no buffer.
I understand that. I was under the assumption Russia was looking to prevent weapons from being placed on its current borders. You push into Ukraine, you increase the distance from Russian targets. Create a buffer.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:10 am
kalm wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:58 pm

I'll make sure to toss all those Atlantic and Nation articles decrying Naziism over the last 5 years in the trash and move the bookmarks to "fake news" then.
Why? :suspicious:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

This one has been reported by multiple sources.

RUS basically looses an entire battalion on a river crossing. Pressure from Moscow to keep forging ahead. Oops.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61399440

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Kalmie is right on this. There's no outcome on the table now where Russia "wins". They've lost an incredible amount of men and materials in Ukraine that will take a decade, if not longer, to replace. They may still secure the parts of the eastern regions of Ukraine that they held before the war, and they'll likely still hold Crimea, but there won't be any appreciable land gains when all is said and done. And perhaps even worse, the air of professionalism and expertise of the Russia military has been deflated through this debacle. Russia comes out of this looking like a bumbling, out of date military, especially compared to what the West is able to bring to fore. They are being decimated by a small, determined force fighting for their homeland equipped with vastly superior technology from us and the rest of NATO. And we haven't even given them close to everything yet. Nothing good comes out of this now for Russia.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:02 am This one has been reported by multiple sources.

RUS basically looses an entire battalion on a river crossing. Pressure from Moscow to keep forging ahead. Oops.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61399440

This guy is saying that both Russian and Ukraine vehicles are both destroyed there. Been previous battles in this location.

https://greatwarchannel.medium.com/%D0% ... 2630a9ab71
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

oh no.

sdhornet's donbass pincer he has been so excited about continues to shrink.

"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:41 am oh no.

sdhornet's donbass pincer he has been so excited about continues to shrink.

Pure gold. Jelly is now using an intel group which has Bill "please join my cruise" Kristol on it's board. Totally unbiased I bet.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Why 'the Russian army just isn't very good'
Ukraine is humiliating the Kremlin — killing its generals, sinking its battleships, destroying its tanks and aircraft, even pushing back Russian advances — but it isn't winning. Russia has killed thousands of Ukrainian civilians and soldiers, flattened major cities and small towns, caused Ukraine's economy to shrink a projected 30 percent this year, and taken a big swath of Ukraine's territory.

And Russia may yet meet some of its redefined military objectives in Ukraine. But Moscow's mighty army, previously thought to be the second-most-powerful in the world, is losing right now. What's going on?
"While Russia gets weaker, Ukraine gets stronger: It now has more tanks than at the start of the war, much better artillery, and far more weapons systems of all kinds," Max Boot writes at the Post. "Russian morale is poor, with officers reportedly disobeying orders; Ukrainian morale is sky-high."
Last edited by UNI88 on Mon May 16, 2022 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm