Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: The Ukraine Crisis

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:04 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:59 pm

What does Ukraine ambassador to Germany’s highly appropriate response to a petulant egotist billionaire with zero diplomatic experience but a giant inferiority megaphone, and who‘s own allowance has switched from his parents to American tax payers have to do with anything?

What a strange take.
:lol:

Gotta love your tough guy reply, especially since you have no skin in the game. Go get em tiger! I'm backing you all the way from my clubhouse in Cheney!

He's supposed to be a professional and if I'm paying his salary, he better grow the fuck up until he bears arms and puts his big mouth on the line.

It's called starting a dialogue and was simply a poll, but that asshat wouldn't know because he takes orders from others outside Ukraine. Guy's a bitch.

Sure hope Elon doesn't turn off his internet (starlink).
It’s ok buddy. Trolling on behalf of the alt right is a tall order.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

I don't understand this self determination thing, in that any group, at any time, can splinter off their section of land to do with what they will. Where does that actually happen if it would be the collapse of the country from which they splinter off from? We don't allow that in the US (i.e. see seccession) so why would we think other countries would allow that? Even more so, when has self determination ever been okay when done with the invasion of that territory by a foreign power? I think UNI had the right question, would it be okay for Mexico to invade swaths of the southwest US to give Spanish speakers there their self determination? And to make it a proper comparison, would it be okay for Mexico to do that armed invasion, remove all the people from those areas that might be against Mexico's invasion (either kill them or ship them off to concentration camps deep back in Mexico) and then hold a sham election with whoever is left or whoever Mexico moves into the region? Of course not, that's silly talk. There is no way to justify what Russia has been doing in Ukraine.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:42 am I don't understand this self determination thing, in that any group, at any time, can splinter off their section of land to do with what they will. Where does that actually happen if it would be the collapse of the country from which they splinter off from? We don't allow that in the US (i.e. see seccession) so why would we think other countries would allow that? Even more so, when has self determination ever been okay when done with the invasion of that territory by a foreign power? I think UNI had the right question, would it be okay for Mexico to invade swaths of the southwest US to give Spanish speakers there their self determination? And to make it a proper comparison, would it be okay for Mexico to do that armed invasion, remove all the people from those areas that might be against Mexico's invasion (either kill them or ship them off to concentration camps deep back in Mexico) and then hold a sham election with whoever is left or whoever Mexico moves into the region? Of course not, that's silly talk. There is no way to justify what Russia has been doing in Ukraine.
Let's put your example in proper context. In order to be similar, the US would have to originally have "ownership" over the Mexican territory with many on the border being perfectly fine with living there. America was fine with them leaving, as they voted to leave.

When those on the border finally felt they were getting a raw deal due to the way they were treated, they would again vote to leave Mexico and become their own country.

Mexico responds with artillery and Nazi tactics upon that population. In order to receive protection from Mexico, that group then votes to join the USA.

So why is it okay for Ukraine to vote to leave, but when the ethnic Russians on the border of Ukraine, who are treated like shit, want to leave, it's not allowed?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote:
GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:42 am I don't understand this self determination thing, in that any group, at any time, can splinter off their section of land to do with what they will. Where does that actually happen if it would be the collapse of the country from which they splinter off from? We don't allow that in the US (i.e. see seccession) so why would we think other countries would allow that? Even more so, when has self determination ever been okay when done with the invasion of that territory by a foreign power? I think UNI had the right question, would it be okay for Mexico to invade swaths of the southwest US to give Spanish speakers there their self determination? And to make it a proper comparison, would it be okay for Mexico to do that armed invasion, remove all the people from those areas that might be against Mexico's invasion (either kill them or ship them off to concentration camps deep back in Mexico) and then hold a sham election with whoever is left or whoever Mexico moves into the region? Of course not, that's silly talk. There is no way to justify what Russia has been doing in Ukraine.
Let's put your example in proper context. In order to be similar, the US would have to originally have "ownership" over the Mexican territory with many on the border being perfectly fine with living there. America was fine with them leaving, as they voted to leave.

When those on the border finally felt they were getting a raw deal due to the way they were treated, they would again vote to leave Mexico and become their own country.

Mexico responds with artillery and Nazi tactics upon that population. In order to receive protection from Mexico, that group then votes to join the USA.

So why is it okay for Ukraine to vote to leave, but when the ethnic Russians on the border of Ukraine, who are treated like shit, want to leave, it's not allowed?
You've got it backwards. It's about Mexico invading to protect ethnic Mexicans in the US.

You can twist yourself into logic pretzels all you want but what Putin and Russia are doing is a violation of international law.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:30 am
SeattleGriz wrote:

You've got it backwards. It's about Mexico invading to protect ethnic Mexicans in the US.

You can twist yourself into logic pretzels all you want but what Putin and Russia are doing is a violation of international law.

Okay, I see what you are saying now about Mexico, but are they being attacked? Do the US have an agreement like Minsk we are violating?

You seem fine with people dying simply because you think Ukraine got to vote to leave, but no one else gets that privilege.

By the way, Putin is educated in International Law and while I'm sure we'll hear complaints he's "stretched the truth", he's followed the framework.
Last edited by SeattleGriz on Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:30 am
SeattleGriz wrote:

Or imagine you’re one of the majority of the Ukrainians in Donbas who want to remain Ukrainian….

Maybe Putin should have welcomed pro-Russian Ukrainians to immigrate to Russia?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:47 am I find it funny how all the people which "want to be" part of Russia continue to celebrate when Ukrainian forces liberate them.

I suggest SD reads "The Moon is Down" by Steinbeck. Russia can't win this war.
I'll be honest here. I don't know how anyone in the US really knows what is going on. I have four sites I "trust", but they are constantly saying that they are only guessing. They often complain that pro Russian sites are full of shit and aren't doing anyone favors.

My point being, is how do you know the videos you are seeing are true?

This is honestly why I've chosen my stance on this subject. I feel our media is full of shit and we are not getting the true picture. As I said to UNI, the US standing outside of the US is horrendous.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:15 am

Do I just have to read between the lines of where, in your example, the US interferes relentlessly in Mexican politics, including rigging elections and inserting US puppets in the government in order to keep the Mexican government compliant with whatever the US wants, and then, when that doesn't work, the US inserts military forces into those border regions to "encourage" them to seek protection from the US forces now amongst them as a way to justify stealing that territory? Oh, and where in your example did the US just unilaterally take a whole province from Mexico because we had a naval base there and we just wanted the province all to ourselves? :rofl:

Nothing changes the fact that Russia wanted to play empire, and wanted a satellite, compliant state in Ukraine as part of that empire. And since, again, this isn't the 19th century when countries did that kind of thing and "great powers" played games with lesser countries, trying to invade and systematically remove populations that don't agree with you in favor of transplants who do so that you can take territory from another sovereign nation is simply not how the world works now in the 21st century. Putin doesn't just wish the USSR was still around, I think he wishes the Romanov dynasty was still a thing.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:15 amSo why is it okay for Ukraine to vote to leave, but when the ethnic Russians on the border of Ukraine, who are treated like shit, want to leave, it's not allowed?
This argument works in a narrow context and it's not the one you're using.

A nation is a shared resource. The people of Crimea don't "own" Crimea such as the people of Virginia don't "own" Virginia. All the people of Ukraine own Crimea as all the people of the United States own Virginia. One group can't deprive the other of its shared resource.

That said, there is a context where they can leave: immigration. Russia can welcome them with open arms as long as it's within the shared resource of the Russian people, not the Ukrainian people.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:06 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:15 am

Do I just have to read between the lines of where, in your example, the US interferes relentlessly in Mexican politics, including rigging elections and inserting US puppets in the government in order to keep the Mexican government compliant with whatever the US wants, and then, when that doesn't work, the US inserts military forces into those border regions to "encourage" them to seek protection from the US forces now amongst them as a way to justify stealing that territory? Oh, and where in your example did the US just unilaterally take a whole province from Mexico because we had a naval base there and we just wanted the province all to ourselves? :rofl:

Nothing changes the fact that Russia wanted to play empire, and wanted a satellite, compliant state in Ukraine as part of that empire. And since, again, this isn't the 19th century when countries did that kind of thing and "great powers" played games with lesser countries, trying to invade and systematically remove populations that don't agree with you in favor of transplants who do so that you can take territory from another sovereign nation is simply not how the world works now in the 21st century. Putin doesn't just wish the USSR was still around, I think he wishes the Romanov dynasty was still a thing.
Yes. America had absolutely nothing to do with the orange revolution. They are blameless and would never go back on their word.

While I can readily admit my understanding is limited, there are plenty of Ivy educated scholars that also point out US interference.

Let's also not forget you are perfectly fine with going back on US assurances there would be no encroachment.
Meaning, your word is worthless.

If Russia is such a menace, why have they only been able to capture small amounts of land?

Edit: My statement about word being worthless came out a little more harsh than expected upon rereading. How about a soft worthless? :oops:
Last edited by SeattleGriz on Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:15 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:35 am

:lol: Such impactful analysis. "Putin did it because".

I'll grade your answer a solid F.
Lets hear your version, comrade reek. :coffee:

Eez vork of moose and squirrel, no? :lol:

Poland :rofl:
I see you've folded like an old fart.

Let's kick start your heart.

https://www.monkeywerxus.com/blog/the-n ... e-sabotage

Oh no. Actual facts .
What that means: the flight path and altitude of the P8 in question are indeed capable of conducting a “bomb run” on the Nord Stream 2 Pipeline. Now let’s look at the flight specifics.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:30 am You've got it backwards. It's about Mexico invading to protect ethnic Mexicans in the US.

Okay, I see what you are saying now about Mexico, but are they being attacked? Do the US have an agreement like Minsk we are violating?

You seem fine with people dying simply because you think Ukraine got to vote to leave, but no one else gets that privilege.

By the way, Putin is educated in International Law and while I'm sure we'll hear complaints he's "stretched the truth", he's followed the framework.

Ukraine left the USSR when it dissolved. Was Ukraine dissolving when the ethnic minorities tried to separate. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Putin hasn't stretched the truth, he's thrown it on the ground and stomped on it. At least Bush built international consensus before invading Iraq.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:30 pm
GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:06 pm

Yes. America had absolutely nothing to do with the orange revolution. They are blameless and would never go back on their word.

While I can readily admit my understanding is limited, there are plenty of Ivy educated scholars that also point out US interference.

Let's also not forget you are perfectly fine with going back on US assurances there would be no encroachment.
Meaning, your word is worthless.

If Russia is such a menace, why have they only been able to capture small amounts of land?

Edit: My statement about word being worthless came out a little more harsh than expected upon rereading. How about a soft worthless? :oops:
Everybody interferes with everyone else. Obama interfered with Brexit. Trump interfered with anything he could think of. Biden interferes with whatever he's gaffing about that day. Politicians will speak on most any topic and give an opinion, their own or depending on the office they hold the opinion of that state office. But there's a huge, tremendous difference between political advocacy and a military invasion, and if you can't see that then I don't know what you can see. Even more so when that military invasion's purpose is to take as much territory from a foreign power as possible.

As for "encroachment", we've talked about that before - there is no "encroachment". NATO isn't an offensive military alliance. NATO isn't threatening Russia with invasion. NATO isn't threatening Russia's sovereign territory. Countries like Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, and Ukraine asked for closer ties to the EU and in many cases asked for NATO membership. All they want is to not be invaded by Russia. Seems like a small concession for Russia to agree not to unilaterally invade other countries with the purpose of adding them to their empire, no?

As for the Russian menace, sure, they haven't looked very efficient in this conflict, and that's lucky for Ukraine. But Russia's incompetence on the battlefield has still resulted in tens of thousands of deaths, if not more, and the cause of millions of refugees. Sure, there's solace to be taken that Ukraine still and will exist, but not ever being invaded would be the more preferable option.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:48 pm
SeattleGriz wrote:

Ukraine left the USSR when it dissolved. Was Ukraine dissolving when the ethnic minorities tried to separate. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Putin hasn't stretched the truth, he's thrown it on the ground and stomped on it. At least Bush built international consensus before invading Iraq.

And we never tried or even considered to add Iraq as the 51st state.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

SeattleGriz wrote:

Yes, I'm sure the thousands of children and innocent dead cheered when we never found WMDs.

How about we flip this script? Let's see your sources. We'll see who is right in the end.

Here's a guy I like.

https://meaninginhistory.substack.com/p ... d-economic
: How do you think this war is going to end? Would you care to make any prediction?

A: I think that we will rapidly become absorbed here in the United States with our own internal financial and economic difficulties. The same people who think for some reason that you can hike interest rates, defeat inflation--but not cut spending--that you can still peddle bonds to the rest of the world when the Japanese and the Chinese are dumping our US Treasuries ... these people are also claiming that Ukraine can win. They're wrong. Those things are incompatible. Those things are not going to happen. The entire Western world is going to be consumed this winter with the financial and economic crisis that's developing. So that's the first part.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:58 pm

Yes, I'm sure the thousands of children and innocent dead cheered when we never found WMDs.

How about we flip this script? Let's see your sources. We'll see who is right in the end.

Here's a guy I like.

: How do you think this war is going to end? Would you care to make any prediction?

A: I think that we will rapidly become absorbed here in the United States with our own internal financial and economic difficulties. The same people who think for some reason that you can hike interest rates, defeat inflation--but not cut spending--that you can still peddle bonds to the rest of the world when the Japanese and the Chinese are dumping our US Treasuries ... these people are also claiming that Ukraine can win. They're wrong. Those things are incompatible. Those things are not going to happen. The entire Western world is going to be consumed this winter with the financial and economic crisis that's developing. So that's the first part.
Do you think the thousands of children and innocent dead are cheering the results of sham elections in the Russian-occupied sections of the Ukraine?

And if Ukraine can win or can't win, that doesn't alter the fact that Russia is in the wrong here. Why would military success change that viewpoint? You can't just take territory from another sovereign country just because you want it. Again, times have changed, this isn't two centuries ago.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:03 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:58 pm

Here's a guy I like.

Do you think the thousands of children and innocent dead are cheering the results of sham elections in the Russian-occupied sections of the Ukraine?

And if Ukraine can win or can't win, that doesn't alter the fact that Russia is in the wrong here. Why would military success change that viewpoint? You can't just take territory from another sovereign country just because you want it. Again, times have changed, this isn't two centuries ago.
Wow. Just glossed over the fact children were indiscriminately killed in Iraq. The US bombed the shit out of infrastructure and fucked everyone for years for a lie. These are not equal and you fucking know better. Cold as shit. Good to know you backed this atrocity.

Sham election. Jesus H. Prove it. International observers say you are wrong.

In regards to Russia, why do you think they did the Special Operation? They left civilians and infrastructure alone, very much unlike Iraq.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote:
GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:03 pm Do you think the thousands of children and innocent dead are cheering the results of sham elections in the Russian-occupied sections of the Ukraine?

Wow. Just glossed over the fact children were indiscriminately killed in Iraq. The US bombed the shit out of infrastructure and fucked everyone for years for a lie. These are not equal and you fucking know better. Cold as shit. Good to know you backed this atrocity.

In regards to Russia, why do you think they did the Special Operation? They left civilians and infrastructure alone, very much unlike Iraq.
The invasion of Iraq was based on lies but at least Dubya built international consensus rather than acting unilaterally and illegally. Putin didn't bother because he knew he wouldn't get it.

Children died in Iraq just like children are dying in Ukraine. It sucks but that's what happens in an armed conflict. There is blood on the US's hands and Putin's hands.

Links to these observers who monitored the elections? Which countries have certified these elections?

Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:24 pm Which countries have certified these elections?
North Korea is the only country that has recognized the annexations. Lol
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:24 pm
SeattleGriz wrote:

The invasion of Iraq was based on lies but at least Dubya built international consensus rather than acting unilaterally and illegally. Putin didn't bother because he knew he wouldn't get it.

Children died in Iraq just like children are dying in Ukraine. It sucks but that's what happens in an armed conflict. There is blood on the US's hands and Putin's hands.

Links to these observers who monitored the elections? Which countries have certified these elections?

Jesus fucking Christ. Your example is shameful and YOU know it. Do not act like they are equal.

How about you, the one is cool with unwarranted genocide step the fuck up and show your work? Stop trying to deflect. You were totally happy it was Iraqi babies.

All of you mother fuckers who talk tough, how about you show your cards?
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BTW, the argument about self-determination is additionally terrible because Russia did not simply try to occupy the Eastern part of Ukraine. They attacked Kyiv, Odessa, Chernobyl, and other regions throughout country with the intention of occupying and instilling their own government.

Putin's also on record saying Ukraine is not a country.

Or am I remembering the start of this war incorrectly? Did the entirety of Ukraine want to join Russia?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:42 pm BTW, the argument about self-determination is additionally terrible because Russia did not simply try to occupy the Eastern part of Ukraine. They attacked Kyiv, Odessa, Chernobyl, and other regions throughout country with the intention of occupying and instilling their own government.

Putin's also on record saying Ukraine is not a country.

Or am I remembering the start of this war incorrectly? Did the entirety of Ukraine want to join Russia?
Oh my Lord. A sane reply. I have no clue bro. Let me look.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:35 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:24 pm

Jesus fucking Christ. Your example is shameful and YOU know it. Do not act like they are equal.

How about you, the one is cool with unwarranted genocide step the fuck up and show your work? Stop trying to deflect. You were totally happy it was Iraqi babies.

You are right, they aren't equal. The children that died in Iraq were collateral damage, we did not intend for them to die but unfortunately they did. I believe that Putin and his flunkies intentionally targeted civilians in Ukraine. He wanted people to die and he knew that children would die. A dead child sucks but intentionally killing children is evil. Putin is evil.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:32 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:35 pm

You are right, they aren't equal. The children that died in Iraq were collateral damage, we did not intend for them to die but unfortunately they did. I believe that Putin and his flunkies intentionally targeted civilians in Ukraine. He wanted people to die and he knew that children would die. A dead child sucks but intentionally killing children is evil. Putin is evil.
Jesus fucking Christ. Collateral damage? How cold. Fuck you. How fucking dare you and "let's go back on our word" Gannon EVER lecture anyone.

You mother fuckers put some skin in the game we will talk. You and Ganny put your boys up, we'll talk. Until then, both of you are full of shit.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

Still shilling for Russia? That must be rather embarrassing for you.

"bUt the KhErSon ofFensiVe WaS a dISaStEr"