Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: The Ukraine Crisis

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:55 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:52 pm

Are they not giving $ and weapons to UKR, the same as we are?
Try again
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:03 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:55 pm

Try again
Yea it’s like watching 2 kids in the pool playing

Marco

Polo
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

George Will Scorches GOP’s Anti-Ukraine Wing With A Chilling Thought
Instead, they voted “to endanger civilization,” Will wrote in his latest column for The Washington Post published Wednesday.

“Hoping to enhance their political security in their mostly safe seats, and for the infantile satisfaction of populist naughtiness (insulting a mostly fictitious ‘establishment’), they voted to assure [Russian President] Vladimir Putin’s attempt to erase a European nation,” Will fumed.
But despite its eventual success, Will warned the “cabal of grotesques [in the GOP] might yet predominate.’”
“Today’s Moscow-Beijing-Tehran axis is, as the 1930s Axis was, watching,” he wrote, adding: “We can now see that the great unraveling that was World War II perhaps began with Japan’s 1931 invasion of Manchuria. Without the benefit of retrospection, we cannot be certain that World War III has not begun.”
George Will is a true conservative.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Where’s Seagriz?
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm George Will Scorches GOP’s Anti-Ukraine Wing With A Chilling Thought
Instead, they voted “to endanger civilization,” Will wrote in his latest column for The Washington Post published Wednesday.

“Hoping to enhance their political security in their mostly safe seats, and for the infantile satisfaction of populist naughtiness (insulting a mostly fictitious ‘establishment’), they voted to assure [Russian President] Vladimir Putin’s attempt to erase a European nation,” Will fumed.
But despite its eventual success, Will warned the “cabal of grotesques [in the GOP] might yet predominate.’”
“Today’s Moscow-Beijing-Tehran axis is, as the 1930s Axis was, watching,” he wrote, adding: “We can now see that the great unraveling that was World War II perhaps began with Japan’s 1931 invasion of Manchuria. Without the benefit of retrospection, we cannot be certain that World War III has not begun.”
:nod:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:03 pm Where’s Seagriz?
:mrgreen:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Russia's economy is so driven by the war in Ukraine that it cannot afford to either win or lose, economist says
Russia's GDP grew 5.5% year-over-year over the third quarter of 2023, according to data from the Russian government. But most of that growth is being fueled by the nation's monster military spending, Foucart said, with plans for the Kremlin to spend a record 36.6 trillion rubles, or $386 billion on defense this year.

"Military pay, ammunition, tanks, planes, and compensation for dead and wounded soldiers, all contribute to the GDP figures. Put simply, the war against Ukraine is now the main driver of Russia's economic growth" Foucart said in an op-ed for The Conversation this week.

Other areas of Russia's economy are hurting as the war drags on. Moscow is slammed with a severe labor shortage, thanks to young professionals fleeing the country or being pulled into the conflict. The nation is now short around 5 million workers, according to one estimate, which is causing wages to soar.
That all puts the Kremlin in a tough position, no matter the outcome of the war in Ukraine. Even if Russia wins, the nation can't afford to rebuild and secure Ukraine, due to the financial costs as well as the impact of remaining isolated from the rest of the global market.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:46 am Russia's economy is so driven by the war in Ukraine that it cannot afford to either win or lose, economist says
Russia's GDP grew 5.5% year-over-year over the third quarter of 2023, according to data from the Russian government. But most of that growth is being fueled by the nation's monster military spending, Foucart said, with plans for the Kremlin to spend a record 36.6 trillion rubles, or $386 billion on defense this year.

"Military pay, ammunition, tanks, planes, and compensation for dead and wounded soldiers, all contribute to the GDP figures. Put simply, the war against Ukraine is now the main driver of Russia's economic growth" Foucart said in an op-ed for The Conversation this week.

Other areas of Russia's economy are hurting as the war drags on. Moscow is slammed with a severe labor shortage, thanks to young professionals fleeing the country or being pulled into the conflict. The nation is now short around 5 million workers, according to one estimate, which is causing wages to soar.
That all puts the Kremlin in a tough position, no matter the outcome of the war in Ukraine. Even if Russia wins, the nation can't afford to rebuild and secure Ukraine, due to the financial costs as well as the impact of remaining isolated from the rest of the global market.
They also have a huge demographic and highly skilled worker problem coming up. This is an interesting video on it from an Iowa native.

Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:46 am Russia's economy is so driven by the war in Ukraine that it cannot afford to either win or lose, economist says

So why no revolt?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Because this is all FAKE NEWS being spread by a corrupt FOURTH ESTATE. There is no economic or demographic crisis in russia. They're kicking Ukraine's ass, their economy is humming and the russian people are happy as clams. :sarcasm:

Is that what you're attempting to insinuate with your question? Is that the defense/deflection being spread like a virus in MAQA yahoo echo chambers?
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Putin's critics keep falling out of windows and drinking Polonium and shit. :coffee:
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

houndawg wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:55 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:42 pm

So why no revolt?
Putin's critics keep falling out of windows and drinking Polonium and shit. :coffee:
Sounds like Hillary’s playbook
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:29 pm
houndawg wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:55 pm

I agree.

But I thought you were just here to school us all on how rotten JRB is.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:53 pm

I agree.

careful about saying "school" around CH, it seems to trigger him - probably had a hard time on the playground
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

I agree.

Joey and all his likenesses
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:26 pm

I agree.

So you didn’t just come here about Biden.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm George Will Scorches GOP’s Anti-Ukraine Wing With A Chilling Thought

One who doesn’t care about the debt or deficit spending..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

So much for the Abrams tanks the US has given to Ukraine.
Cheap Russian drones overwhelm US-made Abrams tanks, taken out of action

Ukrainian forces are withdrawing US-provided Abrams M1A1 main battle tanks from the front lines after at least five have been destroyed by cheap Russian drones, according to the AP…

….The Russian forces avoided head-to-head clashes between tanks that they were likely to lose and instead adopted a new tactic: attacking the Abrams with swarms of drones that targeted tanks weak points: typically the point where the turret meets the body, the rear covering of the engine and the top of the tank where the armour is thinnest….

…One senior military official, speaking anonymously, said another problem was the Russian forces usually had plenty of warning when an Abrams tank was on the way thanks to extensive drone surveillance. 'There isn't open ground that you can just drive across without fear of detection.'

…While Ukraine led in the use and development of drones in the first year of the war, Russia has been pouring money into its military industrial complex and has now overtaken Ukraine in terms of both the quantity and quality of drones that it is producing, as well as all its munition supplies in general.

German Defence Minister Boris Pistorius said on TV on April 25 that the heavy state investment into the military industrial complex and conversion of civilian production to military has resulted in Russia producing more arms than it needs, with the surplus heading to warehouses rather than the front line….

….This investment is also altering the balance of power for tanks. Earlier this year, the Russian defence ministry announced that it had inducted over 1,500 new main battle tanks in 2023 to support its war campaign, whereas Forbes reported in December that Ukraine is down to 350, most of which are the Soviet warhorse, a modified T-72 tank.

The failure of the Abrams to make a difference is a costly miscalculation. The export cost of an Abrams tank can be around $10mn, while Col. Markus Reisner, an Austrian military trainer who follows the weapons being used in Ukraine, told the Euromaidan Press that the Russian suicide drones being used to destroy them can be as cheap as $500 each (a ratio of 20,000:1)….

…..Likewise, Germany sent about five squadrons of its equally powerful Leopard main battle tanks that have been equally disappointing. At least 11 of the 21 sent have been destroyed or damaged and taken out of action, Forbes reported in December. The majority of the Leopard 2A6 tanks sent to Ukraine by Germany are no longer functioning, a senior politician for the German Greens said in Januar……
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ar-AA1nIxGp
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:06 am So much for the Abrams tanks the US has given to Ukraine.
Cheap Russian drones overwhelm US-made Abrams tanks, taken out of action

Ukrainian forces are withdrawing US-provided Abrams M1A1 main battle tanks from the front lines after at least five have been destroyed by cheap Russian drones, according to the AP…

….The Russian forces avoided head-to-head clashes between tanks that they were likely to lose and instead adopted a new tactic: attacking the Abrams with swarms of drones that targeted tanks weak points: typically the point where the turret meets the body, the rear covering of the engine and the top of the tank where the armour is thinnest….

…One senior military official, speaking anonymously, said another problem was the Russian forces usually had plenty of warning when an Abrams tank was on the way thanks to extensive drone surveillance. 'There isn't open ground that you can just drive across without fear of detection.'

…While Ukraine led in the use and development of drones in the first year of the war, Russia has been pouring money into its military industrial complex and has now overtaken Ukraine in terms of both the quantity and quality of drones that it is producing, as well as all its munition supplies in general.

German Defence Minister Boris Pistorius said on TV on April 25 that the heavy state investment into the military industrial complex and conversion of civilian production to military has resulted in Russia producing more arms than it needs, with the surplus heading to warehouses rather than the front line….

….This investment is also altering the balance of power for tanks. Earlier this year, the Russian defence ministry announced that it had inducted over 1,500 new main battle tanks in 2023 to support its war campaign, whereas Forbes reported in December that Ukraine is down to 350, most of which are the Soviet warhorse, a modified T-72 tank.

The failure of the Abrams to make a difference is a costly miscalculation. The export cost of an Abrams tank can be around $10mn, while Col. Markus Reisner, an Austrian military trainer who follows the weapons being used in Ukraine, told the Euromaidan Press that the Russian suicide drones being used to destroy them can be as cheap as $500 each (a ratio of 20,000:1)….

…..Likewise, Germany sent about five squadrons of its equally powerful Leopard main battle tanks that have been equally disappointing. At least 11 of the 21 sent have been destroyed or damaged and taken out of action, Forbes reported in December. The majority of the Leopard 2A6 tanks sent to Ukraine by Germany are no longer functioning, a senior politician for the German Greens said in Januar……
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ar-AA1nIxGp
so much for all tanks, just like battleships. The times, they are a changin....
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:45 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:26 pm

Slow Joe is top priority

McCartney carrying The Beatles is on the list
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

houndawg wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:17 pm

I agree.

careful about saying "school" around CH, it seems to trigger him - probably had a hard time on the playground
No, part of my problem in school was when I was in the classroom, I was dreaming of the playground. :lol:

They put me in classes with the nerdy college bound smartest kids, and I noticed the teachers didn’t teach a damn thing. They just sent us to the library to do research and find the answers. I would go the library and read the sports page and eventually started some football pools… mostly NFL games in the late 70’s … early and my senior year I looked around one day and realized …. damn this party is almost over
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:28 am
kalm wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:45 pm

Slow Joe is top priority

Sir Paul was the best all around musician in the band but the key when the Beatles broke out was Ringo.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

houndawg wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:44 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:28 am

Slow Joe is top priority

Sir Paul was the best all around musician in the band but the key when the Beatles broke out was Ringo.
Hey, I like Ringo but let’s not go crazy here
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:07 am
houndawg wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:44 am

Guess who got the most fan mail when they broke out in the US. :nod:

The Beatles problem early on was the drumming. The cliche is true: A good band with an average drummer is an average band, an average band with a good drummer is a good band. Ringo's drumming has been bad-mouthed for decades by people that don't know shit about music. The reason George Martin hired him is because he was the best drummer in England at the time. Listen to the drums in "Rain", and listen to "I saw Her Standing There". Ringo rocks and in every sense but songwriting he is at least their musical equal. I put him up there with Richie Hayward, (Little Feat)- and Al Jackson Jr.,(Booker T and the MGs). I like him better than Neal Peart, both of them are flawless technicians with impeccable timing. The difference? Ringo swings - Neal wouldn't swing if you hung him.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:24 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:07 am

Guess who got the most fan mail when they broke out in the US. :nod:

The Beatles problem early on was the drumming. The cliche is true: A good band with an average drummer is an average band, an average band with a good drummer is a good band. Ringo's drumming has been bad-mouthed for decades by people that don't know shit about music. The reason George Martin hired him is because he was the best drummer in England at the time. Listen to the drums in "Rain", and listen to "I saw Her Standing There". Ringo rocks and in every sense but songwriting he is at least their musical equal. I put him up there with Richie Hayward, (Little Feat)- and Al Jackson Jr.,(Booker T and the MGs). I like him better than Neal Peart, both of them are flawless technicians with impeccable timing. The difference? Ringo swings - Neal wouldn't swing if you hung him.
:notworthy: