Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: The Ukraine Crisis

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:21 am
kalm wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:52 am

Found a hat for you tankies…

Noted. You're upset your propaganda is being shut down too.
This might help you.

Naomi Klein examines the mushrooming of conspiracism in her new book Doppelganger, noting that people often come under its sway because they are searching for a practical solution to a sense of unfairness. Conspiracists have a “fantasy of justice”, hoping that the evil-doing elites can be arrested and stopped. “Conspiracy theorists get the facts wrong but often get the feelings right,” she writes. “The feeling that every human misery is someone else’s profit … the feeling that important truths are being hidden.” She quotes digital journalism scholar Marcus Gilroy-Ware’s conclusion that: “Conspiracy theories are a misfiring of a healthy and justifiable political instinct: suspicion.”

Lee’s appetite for conspiracies started to wane when the “alt-right” US broadcaster Alex Jones began claiming that the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting was a hoax, that no one died and the parents of the 20 children who died were “crisis actors” – hired to play disaster victims. Lee found this implausible and felt irritated by other wild theories swirling around the internet – that Justin Bieber and Eminem were Illuminati clones, that a paedophile ring, involving people at the highest level of the Democratic party, was operating out of a Washington pizza restaurant. “I looked at Pizzagate and thought, ‘Well that’s just stupid.’” (He spends six podcast episodes debunking the Pizzagate conspiracy; this seems a pithier summary.)

When Covid triggered a popularity surge for conspiracy theorists, Lee was already done with it, and simply noted that if there really was a global movement working to establish a new world order through the pandemic, they were going about it in a strikingly ill-coordinated and muddled manner. “The governments weren’t acting in lockstep with each other. There was no well-oiled machine; it was disorganised. No one was in charge.”

He understands why other people were attracted to the idea: “Just like 9/11 brought people into conspiracies, Covid was another moment when people were scared and wanted answers, and they found conspiracy influencers saying: ‘Don’t worry about it, it’s not real.’”

Lee was an early adopter of ideas that have surged in popularity as people spend more time online, and as trust in the mainstream media falters with the suggestion (much propagated by the former US president Donald Trump) that they are spreaders of fake news. The emergence of QAnon (which propagates the baseless theory that Trump was battling a cabal of sex-trafficking satanists, some of whom were Democrats) has attracted more people to this world. Lee’s interests preceded the arrival of powerful opinion-shaping algorithms pushing people into closed loops of fact-free narratives. Since leaving the fold he has developed a sharp clarity about the self-interested financial motivations of conspiracists who work to monetise their online presence with increasingly wild, clickbaity dispatches.

We’re no longer talking about minor fringe movements – radicalisation is spreading through a complex system of beliefs “It’s a big problem that’s getting much worse. People are being manipulated with misinformation,” he says. He was disturbed by the death in 2021 of Ashli Babbitt, the woman shot by a police officer during the 6 January riots inside the US Capitol. Her Twitter feed was full of references to QAnon conspiracies. “That could have been me or my partner,” he says of Babbitt. “She believed what we believed. That’s what made me think I should speak out, tell my story to help bring other conspiracists out, so they don’t become the next Ashli.”
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... us-beliefs
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:00 am

This might help you.

Naomi Klein examines the mushrooming of conspiracism in her new book Doppelganger, noting that people often come under its sway because they are searching for a practical solution to a sense of unfairness. Conspiracists have a “fantasy of justice”, hoping that the evil-doing elites can be arrested and stopped. “Conspiracy theorists get the facts wrong but often get the feelings right,” she writes. “The feeling that every human misery is someone else’s profit … the feeling that important truths are being hidden.” She quotes digital journalism scholar Marcus Gilroy-Ware’s conclusion that: “Conspiracy theories are a misfiring of a healthy and justifiable political instinct: suspicion.”

Lee’s appetite for conspiracies started to wane when the “alt-right” US broadcaster Alex Jones began claiming that the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting was a hoax, that no one died and the parents of the 20 children who died were “crisis actors” – hired to play disaster victims. Lee found this implausible and felt irritated by other wild theories swirling around the internet – that Justin Bieber and Eminem were Illuminati clones, that a paedophile ring, involving people at the highest level of the Democratic party, was operating out of a Washington pizza restaurant. “I looked at Pizzagate and thought, ‘Well that’s just stupid.’” (He spends six podcast episodes debunking the Pizzagate conspiracy; this seems a pithier summary.)

When Covid triggered a popularity surge for conspiracy theorists, Lee was already done with it, and simply noted that if there really was a global movement working to establish a new world order through the pandemic, they were going about it in a strikingly ill-coordinated and muddled manner. “The governments weren’t acting in lockstep with each other. There was no well-oiled machine; it was disorganised. No one was in charge.”

He understands why other people were attracted to the idea: “Just like 9/11 brought people into conspiracies, Covid was another moment when people were scared and wanted answers, and they found conspiracy influencers saying: ‘Don’t worry about it, it’s not real.’”

Lee was an early adopter of ideas that have surged in popularity as people spend more time online, and as trust in the mainstream media falters with the suggestion (much propagated by the former US president Donald Trump) that they are spreaders of fake news. The emergence of QAnon (which propagates the baseless theory that Trump was battling a cabal of sex-trafficking satanists, some of whom were Democrats) has attracted more people to this world. Lee’s interests preceded the arrival of powerful opinion-shaping algorithms pushing people into closed loops of fact-free narratives. Since leaving the fold he has developed a sharp clarity about the self-interested financial motivations of conspiracists who work to monetise their online presence with increasingly wild, clickbaity dispatches.

We’re no longer talking about minor fringe movements – radicalisation is spreading through a complex system of beliefs “It’s a big problem that’s getting much worse. People are being manipulated with misinformation,” he says. He was disturbed by the death in 2021 of Ashli Babbitt, the woman shot by a police officer during the 6 January riots inside the US Capitol. Her Twitter feed was full of references to QAnon conspiracies. “That could have been me or my partner,” he says of Babbitt. “She believed what we believed. That’s what made me think I should speak out, tell my story to help bring other conspiracists out, so they don’t become the next Ashli.”
The Guardian. :rofl: Talk about foil hat blueanon. I post facts and you post feelz.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:44 am
kalm wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:00 am

This might help you.

The Guardian. :rofl: Talk about foil hat blueanon. I post facts and you post feelz.
This reply is so 2012 when Baldy used to say the same when I posted Glenn Greenwald Guardian pieces. Bet you like Greenwald now, don’t ya? And Taibbi as well.

I guarantee you the Guardian is better journalism and more accurate reporting than Timcast or Heartland Ivstitute or whatever anything is you go to.

Attack the source, not the story and facts.

:lol:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:52 am

Found a hat for you tankies…

So you don't deny sucking Russian cock?

Are you an NRA member?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:16 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:44 am

This reply is so 2012 when Baldy used to say the same when I posted Glenn Greenwald Guardian pieces. Bet you like Greenwald now, don’t ya? And Taibbi as well.

I guarantee you the Guardian is better journalism and more accurate reporting than Timcast or Heartland Ivstitute or whatever anything is you go to.

Just giving you a dose of your own medicine. Besides, the article was subjective. It wasn't about facts, it was about their feelz. Foil hat feelz.

Better journalism. :rofl: You just can't stay away from shit sources. Remember Mueller She Wrote? You used to quote her nonstop until she was exposed as a big fat liar.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:58 pm

Are you an NRA member?
What is it with you and your obsession about sucking dicks?!?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:28 pm
kalm wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:16 pm

Just giving you a dose of your own medicine. Besides, the article was subjective. It wasn't about facts, it was about their feelz. Foil hat feelz.

Better journalism. :rofl: You just can't stay away from shit sources. Remember Mueller She Wrote? You used to quote her nonstop until she was exposed as a big fat liar.
That’s why I said story and and facts. Ya see, SG, actual journalism contains both. :kisswink: Are there people out there susceptible to every conspiracy that agrees with their own bias?

Maaaaybe? :lol:

Remember MSW? I still follow her. What has she lied about? I do remember an attempted hit job on her that went nowhere. Otherwise, she’s a good aggregate for Trump legal news. Part of the reason I’m months ahead of you on most things.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:18 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:28 pm

That’s why I said story and and facts. Ya see, SG, actual journalism contains both. :kisswink: Are there people out there susceptible to every conspiracy that agrees with their own bias?

Remember MSW? I still follow her. What has she lied about? I do remember an attempted hit job on her that went nowhere. Otherwise, she’s a good aggregate for Trump legal news. Part of the reason I’m months ahead of you on most things.
:lol: Yes. How's your record on Trump going? 0 for ???, but any day now, they're gonna get him.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:54 pm Lots of Ukrainian Brosint accounts shutting down or "pivoting" to cover the Israeli War. The CIA propaganda money must be drying up.
Lol. What are your examples? Do you follow this pretty closely?

What was your reaction when Russia came down hard on pro-RU military bloggers? Something like that? Or, I guess it's just an example of how Russia has a very open and transparent society. :lol:

"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Denazification is going swimmingly

Russians storm airport in attempt to attack passengers of Israeli flight
https://m.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-770738
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:30 pm
houndawg wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:58 pm

Are you an NRA member?
What is it with you and your obsession about sucking dicks?!?
I was commenting on your hat, and how if the shoe fits... :thumb:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:25 pm
kalm wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:18 pm

:lol: Yes. How's your record on Trump going? 0 for ???, but any day now, they're gonna get him.
Pretty damn good… I think. But it’s tough to keep track of all the different cases and indictments.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Go Russia!

(Warning: the sources may cause cranial explosion)

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:50 pm Denazification is going swimmingly

Russians storm airport in attempt to attack passengers of Israeli flight
https://m.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-770738
Ugly.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:48 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:25 pm

Pretty damn good… I think. But it’s tough to keep track of all the different cases and indictments.
All the cases and indictments? Where have all those gone. That's like touting preseason rankings, only to fall to middle to bottom of the conference when the game is played.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:09 am

All the cases and indictments? Where have all those gone. That's like touting preseason rankings, only to fall to middle to bottom of the conference when the game is played.
I had SDSU, MSU, Idaho, NDSU, and Furman in my pre-season top 10. I didn’t have EWU ranked at all.

:coffee:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:09 am

They are grist for the mill of justice, thats why all his lawyers are leaping from the train like fleas from a mangey dog. Even Ivanka is about to turn on him - she doesn't need his pittance anymore - thanks to Mr. Bone Saw she and Jared are worth 10x what her daddy is worth :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Might have something to do with Speaker Johnson separating out UKR spending from Israel funding.

Nah…

The Texas-based American Ethane company previously donated tens of thousands of dollars to the campaigns of Louisiana Republicans including Johnson, who was voted by the House to replace Rep. Kevin McCarthy as Speaker on Wednesday following three weeks of GOP chaos in the lower chamber.

While American Ethane was run in 2018 by American John Houghtaling, 88 percent of the firm was owned by three Russian nationals—Konstantin Nikolaev, Mikhail Yuriev, and Andrey Kunatbaev.
https://www.newsweek.com/house-speaker- ... na-1838501
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:21 am Might have something to do with Speaker Johnson separating out UKR spending from Israel funding.

Nah…

The Texas-based American Ethane company previously donated tens of thousands of dollars to the campaigns of Louisiana Republicans including Johnson, who was voted by the House to replace Rep. Kevin McCarthy as Speaker on Wednesday following three weeks of GOP chaos in the lower chamber.

While American Ethane was run in 2018 by American John Houghtaling, 88 percent of the firm was owned by three Russian nationals—Konstantin Nikolaev, Mikhail Yuriev, and Andrey Kunatbaev.
Coincidence

Republicans are all about standing up to the godless commies. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:09 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:21 am Might have something to do with Speaker Johnson separating out UKR spending from Israel funding.

Nah…

Coincidence

The Party of Reagan.

:ohno:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:17 pm
houndawg wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:09 pm

Coincidence

The Party of Reagan.

:ohno:
All clutching their pearls and bleating about Joes's mental health as if Presidents with dementia are something new... :ohno:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:30 pm
SDHornet wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:54 pm Lots of Ukrainian Brosint accounts shutting down or "pivoting" to cover the Israeli War. The CIA propaganda money must be drying up.

What was your reaction when Russia came down hard on pro-RU military bloggers? Something like that? Or, I guess it's just an example of how Russia has a very open and transparent society. :lol:

So that vaunted Ukrainian counteroffensive was all for naught. The war has finally reached a point where everyone with half a brain knew it would: Russia out attriting Ukraine/NATO. All those deaths on both sides for absolutely nothing. Good job Biden voters, this blood is on your hands, now lay in this bed you made and enjoy this L. :coffee:
WASHINGTON — U.S. and European officials have begun quietly talking to the Ukrainian government about what possible peace negotiations with Russia might entail to end the war, according to one current senior U.S. official and one former senior U.S. official familiar with the discussions.

The conversations have included very broad outlines of what Ukraine might need to give up to reach a deal, the officials said. Some of the talks, which officials described as delicate, took place last month during a meeting of representatives from more than 50 nations supporting Ukraine, including NATO members, known as the Ukraine Defense Contact Group, the officials said.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/us-e ... rcna123628
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:30 pm Lol. What are your examples? Do you follow this pretty closely?

So that vaunted Ukrainian counteroffensive was all for naught. The war has finally reached a point where everyone with half a brain knew it would: Russia out attriting Ukraine/NATO. All those deaths on both sides for absolutely nothing. Good job Biden voters, this blood is on your hands, now lay in this bed you made and enjoy this L. :coffee:
WASHINGTON — U.S. and European officials have begun quietly talking to the Ukrainian government about what possible peace negotiations with Russia might entail to end the war, according to one current senior U.S. official and one former senior U.S. official familiar with the discussions.

The conversations have included very broad outlines of what Ukraine might need to give up to reach a deal, the officials said. Some of the talks, which officials described as delicate, took place last month during a meeting of representatives from more than 50 nations supporting Ukraine, including NATO members, known as the Ukraine Defense Contact Group, the officials said.
Will russia accept a peace deal that includes Ukraine joining NATO? Any deal without that is just giving russia time to prep for another invasion and should be a non-starter for Ukraine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:00 am
Skjellyfetti wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:30 pm

All for not? Is it over? Did UKR surrender? Is Russia still strong like bull?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:07 am
SDHornet wrote:

Will russia accept a peace deal that includes Ukraine joining NATO? Any deal without that is just giving russia time to prep for another invasion and should be a non-starter for Ukraine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who knows what they'll accept, but they hold all the cards now. Neocons shot down an offer before the SMO started and one when the SMO was 4 months old.