The Ukraine Crisis

Political discussions
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: The Ukraine

Post by Ibanez »

I've been saying it for nearly 20 years on this board (which is sad...20 years on a message board).
Russia is a sending an unspecified number of troops from the country’s far east to Belarus for major war games, officials said Tuesday, a deployment that will further beef up Russian military presence near Ukraine amid Western fears of a planned invasion.

Amid the soaring tensions, the White House warned that Russia could attack its neighbor at “any point,” while the U.K. delivered a batch of anti-tank weapons to Ukraine.

Russia’s Deputy Defense Minister Alexander Fomin said the joint drills with Belarus would involve practicing a joint response to external threats.

Ukrainian officials have warned that Russia could launch an attack on Ukraine from several directions, including from its ally Belarus.
https://apnews.com/article/moscow-russi ... 0aca895590

Putin is escalating. I've seen enough cyber threat intel over the past 10 years to see that Russia is getting more and more sophiscated. I wouldn't be surprised if a massive cyber attack preempts an invasion.

And just for Cluck who isn't here any more and said we likely won't see tanks and troops roll across the border
Russia already has started moving troops for the war games in Belarus. Fomin said it would take through Feb. 9 to fully deploy weapons and personnel for the Allied Resolve 2022 drills, which are expected to take place Feb. 10-20.

Fomin didn’t say how many troops will be involved, but mentioned that Russia will deploy a dozen Su-35 fighter jets and several air defense units to Belarus. The deployment would bolster an estimated 100,000 Russian troops with tanks and other heavy weapons who are already amassed near Ukraine.
War games from an aggressor like Putin are very interesting to watch.

A still pic from war games near Ukraine
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Well, he certainly knows that no one is likely to oppose him. Europe is far too reliant on Russian natural gas to do much in terms of resisting. We didn't cover ourselves in glory when leaving Afghanistan so we're going to be very resistant to commit too much to this when the outcome, if Putin wants it, is not really in doubt.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:19 pm Well, he certainly knows that no one is likely to oppose him. Europe is far too reliant on Russian natural gas to do much in terms of resisting. We didn't cover ourselves in glory when leaving Afghanistan so we're going to be very resistant to commit too much to this when the outcome, if Putin wants it, is not really in doubt.
I agree 100%.

The German response was interesting considering how much they'll gain from Nord Stream 2..though they have apparently used NS2 as potential leverage. That's a huge economic sanction (potentially since it's not active...yet.)
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:42 pm
That can't be true. Biden said Putin wants Trump back in office.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:29 pm
That's basically a "just the tip" opening for Putin.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:36 pm
Winterborn wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:29 pm
That's basically a "just the tip" opening for Putin.
Putin better be careful, Ukraine might get pregnant. I'm not sure Moldova's ready for a baby brother or sister. :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Putin seems scared of Grandpa Badfinger.

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:58 am
Listen to me, man.
If there's one thing that I know
is never to mess
with Mother Nature,
mother-in-laws
or mother-freakin' Ukrainians.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:08 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:58 am
Listen to me, man.
is never to mess
with Mother Nature,
mother-in-laws
The Italian Job. I just re-watched that movie for the first time in many years. :thumb:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:29 am
Winterborn wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:08 am

Listen to me, man.
is never to mess
with Mother Nature,
mother-in-laws
The Italian Job. I just re-watched that movie for the first time in many years. :thumb:
I like both the '69 and '03 versions.

I grew up with some Ukrainians and went out on a date with one back in early college. There is some truth to that saying. :nod:

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

NATO is stepping up! The Netherlands is going to send 2 whole F35's and Denmark is sending a frigate AND 4 F16's.

NATO has Putin exactly where they want him!
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:35 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:29 am

I like both the '69 and '03 versions.

I grew up with some Ukrainians and went out on a date with one back in early college. There is some truth to that saying. :nod:
:lol: I know one, Yulia, though we haven't spoken in over a decade.

I used to work with a former Soviet soldier turned hotel handyman. Alex had some pretty rad and gnarly stories about life in the Red Army. :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:50 am NATO is stepping up! The Netherlands is going to send 2 whole F35's and Denmark is sending a frigate AND 4 F16's.

You think Putin doesn’t know this? (Rhetorical question….I know you do)….NATO is a freaking JOKE. Has been for 30+ years. If WE decide we’re not going to intervene, ALL of NATO (less us) would be a gnat on Putin’s ass as he rolls into Ukraine.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:34 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:50 am NATO is stepping up! The Netherlands is going to send 2 whole F35's and Denmark is sending a frigate AND 4 F16's.

You think Putin doesn’t know this? (Rhetorical question….I know you do)….NATO is a freaking JOKE. Has been for 30+ years. If WE decide we’re not going to intervene, ALL of NATO (less us) would be a gnat on Putin’s ass as he rolls into Ukraine.
What I love is that Russia says it can do whatever it wants in its borders...and then proceeds to tell other countries what to do in their borders. :lol:

We have a showdown coming and Biden isn't equipped to manage it. We've got mobilization occurring at the moment, 8,500 US troops at the ready, a handful of fighters and a MASH unit from Germany all coming together to face a much larger and determined Russian force. :roll:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:40 am

What I love is that Russia says it can do whatever it wants in its borders...and then proceeds to tell other countries what to do in their borders. :lol:

We have a showdown coming and Biden isn't equipped to manage it. We've got mobilization occurring at the moment, 8,500 US troops at the ready, a handful of fighters and a MASH unit from Germany all coming together to face a much larger and determined Russian force. :roll:
Might as well piss in the wind. If only we had 300,000 weapons, fleets of Blackhawks and humvees and artillery units and cargo transporters nearby. If only, right?
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

What you say, is the sentiment I was trying to convey. Needed better sarcasm.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:20 am

What you say, is the sentiment I was trying to convey. Needed better sarcasm.
No, i knew that’s what your point was. Just emphasizing it. :mrgreen:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Eh, Putin's playing with a strong hand right now. He doesn't even need to invade and he gets what he wants - turmoil in Ukraine, NATO countries tripping over each other in disagreements (US and UK are terribly worried, Germany says don't piss off Russia because they need natural gas, economic markets swing up and down on the latest news clip, and China casually laughs off to the side watching the turmoil). Putin could probably keep this up for months, if not longer. Heck, he probably likes the fact that this has made Biden do more live news conferences - nothing like watching an elderly, bewildered man lash out with random profanity when the confusion gets too much. Putin's guilty of elder abuse if nothing else.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:42 am

Might as well piss in the wind. If only we had 300,000 weapons, fleets of Blackhawks and humvees and artillery units and cargo transporters nearby. If only, right?
:lol: :lol: You have a point.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:43 am

Eh, Putin's playing with a strong hand right now. He doesn't even need to invade and he gets what he wants - turmoil in Ukraine, NATO countries tripping over each other in disagreements (US and UK are terribly worried, Germany says don't piss off Russia because they need natural gas, economic markets swing up and down on the latest news clip, and China casually laughs off to the side watching the turmoil). Putin could probably keep this up for months, if not longer. Heck, he probably likes the fact that this has made Biden do more live news conferences - nothing like watching an elderly, bewildered man lash out with random profanity when the confusion gets too much. Putin's guilty of elder abuse if nothing else.
Which authoritative leaders didn't NEED to invade to get what they wanted...and then actually invade?