Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: DOJ Memo on Marijuana Use

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:15 am
kalm wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:49 am

Thank you for confirming what a square you are! :mrgreen:

That article is smack full of innuendo. :lol: Or maybe that’s just the weed talking?

Yes, some of today’s weed is stronger. And yes, just like any drug, including alcohol or pain killers, its buyer beware.

On the whole, weed is still no more harmful physically or psychologically than beer. Do you think the two should be made illegal again?
I get 89's point - there's been such a push to legalize marijuana (which I support) that there's also been an unsettling narrative that pot is harmless and just fun and that anyone who raises any point to the contrary is a reactionary (or square, as you teasingly refer to 89). But obviously, pot isn't necessarily safe, and it is particularly damaging to kids. I think as adults pot isn't all that much different than alcohol, but I don't think the same holds true for adolescents where pot is more dangerous. But in the rush to make money and in the rush to seem "with it" by being progressive and for legalizing pot, that kind of detail gets pushed to the side. I don't see the issue with trying to bring that to light.
I don't think weed is more dangerous than pot for teens because drunk driving gets a lot of teens
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:06 pm
GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:15 am

I get 89's point - there's been such a push to legalize marijuana (which I support) that there's also been an unsettling narrative that pot is harmless and just fun and that anyone who raises any point to the contrary is a reactionary (or square, as you teasingly refer to 89). But obviously, pot isn't necessarily safe, and it is particularly damaging to kids. I think as adults pot isn't all that much different than alcohol, but I don't think the same holds true for adolescents where pot is more dangerous. But in the rush to make money and in the rush to seem "with it" by being progressive and for legalizing pot, that kind of detail gets pushed to the side. I don't see the issue with trying to bring that to light.
I don't think weed is more dangerous than pot for teens because drunk driving gets a lot of teens
Dunno for sure. Alcohol certainly leads to drunk driving, but the impact of marijuana on a kid's ability to drive hasn't really been looked into - I can't imagine it's a good thing though. And then you have the issue of marijuana's impact on a developing brain - certainly more of an impact than on a fully developed brain later in life. It's generally good not to alter the brain like that when it's still developing.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:35 pm

Dunno for sure. Alcohol certainly leads to drunk driving, but the impact of marijuana on a kid's ability to drive hasn't really been looked into - I can't imagine it's a good thing though. And then you have the issue of marijuana's impact on a developing brain - certainly more of an impact than on a fully developed brain later in life. It's generally good not to alter the brain like that when it's still developing.
nobody said it was a good thing. :coffee:

I know I was a lot more worried about drunk driving than smoking weed when our kids were coming up and that was definitely the majority opinion among the parents raising kids in our area. Ymmv.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Well, so much for the notion that pot doesn’t cause you to become violent.
https://nypost.com/2024/01/24/news/bryn ... y-service/
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

If NYC wasn’t bad enough already, the whacky weed is reeking over the entire city. St Marks seems to be the epicenter as the rotten burning fruit smell permeates the entire area. Not the smell I remember back in high school as it was more of a dry smell if that makes sense
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:15 am Well, so much for the notion that pot doesn’t cause you to become violent.
Nor really. There’s a relationship in events such as this but the chance for psychosis mostly if not always is already in those who have underlying mental issues. The chance of a psychotic event increases but the same is true with many drugs. IE….there are a few people who shouldn’t drink either.

Chemical imbalances can both be helped or enhanced by prescriptions or recreational drugs. See the frequently changing cocktails of drugs used with bi-polar. Mamy mixes help while some increase the issues.

Regardless, weed is still way less dangerous on multiple levels including violence than booze.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3927252/
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:53 am
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:15 am Well, so much for the notion that pot doesn’t cause you to become violent.
Nor really. There’s a relationship in events such as this but the chance for psychosis mostly if not always is already in those who have underlying mental issues. The chance of a psychotic event increases but the same is true with many drugs. IE….there are a few people who shouldn’t drink either.

Chemical imbalances can both be helped or enhanced by prescriptions or recreational drugs. See the frequently changing cocktails of drugs used with bi-polar. Mamy mixes help while some increase the issues.

Regardless, weed is still way less dangerous on multiple levels including violence than booze.

Not on a 1 to 1 level.

Also depends on how you’re taking it.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Shrooms for dementia
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:14 am

Not on a 1 to 1 level.

What do you mean in a 1-1 level?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:41 am
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:14 am
Not on a 1 to 1 level.

A full joint per every beer or shot.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

This information is true....its also 55 years too late :mrgreen:
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

houndawg wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:00 am

They used to offer me the MJ…. I always said no thanks

My weakness was cerveza, but I’m over that too
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:45 am

"Full" joint? What is a "full" joint? They come in various sizes at the dispensary so you'll need to be more specific - like you're always telling others. And your comment is bullshit anyway and clearly made by someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. D'habitude.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:04 am
houndawg wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:00 am

:party:

I love my cerveza but I don't drink a case of it in an entire year anymore. I call it the Willie Nelson Plan, others call it California Sober, but dumping the booze in favor of weed was a decision that only gets better with age.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Apples to oranges. What strain of weed? THC levels? Delivery method? Tolerance levels are also a factor. I know people who are stone cold functioning level sober after a 6 pack and others who are like Kim Bassinger in Blind Date after one.

Smoking a full joint would simply put me to sleep. 1-3 hits are typically plenty. Pass out drunk? Whole different ball game. And you’re still likely drunk when you wake up.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:10 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:04 am

:party:

I love my cerveza but I don't drink a case of it in an entire year anymore. I call it the Willie Nelson Plan, others call it California Sober, but dumping the booze in favor of weed was a decision that only gets better with age.
I do not miss hangovers and the damage to my body.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:06 am
"Full" joint? What is a "full" joint? They come in various sizes at the dispensary so you'll need to be more specific - like you're always telling others. And your comment is bullshit anyway and clearly made by someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. D'habitude.

.3-.5 gram vs 12 oz beer
https://www.livescience.com/55464-marij ... joint.html
Happy?
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:13 am
Apples to oranges. What strain of weed? THC levels? Delivery method? Tolerance levels are also a factor. I know people who are stone cold functioning level sober after a 6 pack and others who are like Kim Bassinger in Blind Date after one.

Smoking a full joint would simply put me to sleep. 1-3 hits are typically plenty. Pass out drunk? Whole different ball game. And you’re still likely drunk when you wake up.
I tend to favor the "daytime" strains, try Lemon Sugar or Lime OG if you want to get suff done.

There is no doubt that if you enjoy intoxicants that weed is the one that has the least effect on your physical well being. I've also dropped 20 lbs. since making the switch permanent, munchies be damned. My doctor says I have the constitution of a Rhinocerous.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:25 am

I tend to favor the "daytime" strains, try Lemon Sugar or Lime OG if you want to get suff done.

There is no doubt that if you enjoy intoxicants that weed is the one that has the least effect on your physical well being. I've also dropped 20 lbs. since making the switch permanent, munchies be damned. My doctor says I have the constitution of a Rhinocerous.
Yeah I’m a sativa leaning guy. I like light, laughy, head highs versus “in the couch” stoned. I’m also lucky in that I can still fall asleep with ease regardless.

It’s still wild how much views have changed. My entire medical team knows that I use weed and have zero problems with it. It’s sometimes openly encouraged.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:19 am
houndawg wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:06 am

.3-.5 gram vs 12 oz beer
Happy?

First of all the relationship is not linear - just like all dog years don't equal 7 human years, but the first 2-3 do.

If you smoke a joint and drink a beer you'll notice the weed more at first - if you aren't smoking mexican headache weed - and as you continue you'll become "more drunk than stoned". Personally, my experience has been that I prefer the buzz from either beer or weed alone to the buzz that comes from mixing the two.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

houndawg wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:34 am
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:19 am
.3-.5 gram vs 12 oz beer
Happy?

First of all the relationship is not linear - just like all dog years don't equal 7 human years, but the first 2-3 do.

If you smoke a joint and drink a beer you'll notice the weed more at first - if you aren't smoking mexican headache weed - and as you continue you'll become "more drunk than stoned". Personally, my experience has been that I prefer the buzz from either beer or weed alone to the buzz that comes from mixing the two.
Man I should drop the Chang and Eng and just go with Cheech and Chong for you two Stoners :lol:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

And you have different size beers, different strengths beer (ABV), regular vs lite, diff types, so yeah, I should have been more specific for both.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Link comparing long term health effects of both?
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:41 am

Like I said - been doing exactly that for over 50 years...there's a whole generation's data happening every day.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:43 am
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:41 am

Like I said - been doing exactly that for over 50 years...there's a whole generation's data happening every day.
Yes we can tell. And that would explain things lol..