Jesuits sheltered child molestors on Fordham campus
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:07 pm
Shameful. Jesuits are some of the worst catholic sex predators.
Comments from another article:Two Roman Catholic priests who until recently lived on the campus of Fordham Preparatory School in the Bronx sexually abused teenagers there in the 1960s and ’70s, two groups that advocate for sex-abuse victims said on Tuesday.
Leaders of the two groups — the Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests and BishopAccountability.org. — who said they were making the accusations public for the first time, criticized the school’s administrators for allowing the priests to reside there for years after the abuse complaints were made known.
One of the priests, the Rev. Eugene O’Brien, was the principal and president of Fordham Prep in the early ’70s, when one accuser said he was molested, the groups said. A lawsuit the accuser filed was settled in 1997 for $25,000 by the school, the Archdiocese of New York and the Order of the Society of Jesus, or Jesuits, which runs Fordham Prep.
The advocacy groups sent to The New York Times a copy of the settlement agreement, with the accuser’s name excised. Father O’Brien could not be reached for comment.
The other priest, the Rev. Roy A. Drake, was a science teacher at Fordham Prep in late 1968 when he raped Richard Cerick, Mr. Cerick says. In an interview, Mr. Cerick, who was not a Fordham student, said he had been invited by a friend who attended the school to join him for a weekend ski trip with Father Drake. He said the attack occurred in the priest’s apartment on campus the night before they left on the trip.
Joseph Zwilling, spokesman for the archdiocese, said that archdiocesan lawyers were familiar with Mr. Cerick’s claim against Father Drake, but that he could not confirm the terms of the 1997 settlement involving Father O’Brien. In general, Mr. Zwilling said, religious orders like the Jesuits handled their own personnel and legal affairs.
The Rev. Thomas Slon, executive assistant to the head of the Jesuit order in the New York area, said he would not comment on the accusations. He, too, said that he was familiar with Mr. Cerick’s complaint, but that he would not confirm or deny the terms of the 1997 settlement concerning Father O’Brien.
Mr. Cerick, now a 53-year-old New York lawyer, said he had kept the incident secret until 2003, when he became aware of the scandal over sexual abuse by priests. He began searching the Web for any mention of Father Drake. After discovering that the priest was living at Murray-Weigel Hall, the Fordham Prep residence for Jesuit faculty members, he said, he decided to alert the school’s administrators. He filed his first complaint against Father Drake in 2005, he said.
Father Drake was transferred to a treatment center for troubled priests in 2006, and died on Aug. 21 of this year, said Terry McKiernan of BishopAccountability.org. Father Slon, of the Jesuits, would not confirm that Father Drake had died.
Father O’Brien, after serving as president of Fordham Prep from 1960 until 1979, was principal at Fairfield College Prep, in Fairfield, Conn.; vice president for community relations at Fordham University; and president of the Gregorian University Foundation in New York, a Jesuit institute. He became known for his work in substance abuse treatment, traveling and lecturing around the world between stints at Fordham University and LeMoyne College in Syracuse. He is now retired, Mr. McKiernan said.
In a statement, Mr. Cerick said that after he reported Father Drake to Jesuit and archdiocesan authorities three years ago, “they allowed Father Drake, who lived and worked for decades on Fordham’s campus after abusing me, to continue working and residing there.”
“That is incomprehensible,” he said. “The innocent deserve protection.”
David Clohessey, national director of the Survivors Network, or SNAP, said that the church’s failure to protect the young from sexual predators was part of a pattern of “secrecy and recklessness” that has plagued the institution for decades.
I am just now catching up with this news. I lived in fear of Fr. O’Brien. As a young man grappling with his sexuality, O’Brien was a predator and the rumors were rampant about his exploits. He was so powerful that for all of the rumors, no one dared speak or hear the truth for many years. I was warned by a brave faculty member to avoid any approaches by O’Brien, particularly to join his “prayer retreats to Saranac Lake.” Many to this day will deny O’Brien’s abuses and defend him, I’m sure. Everything said here confirms what I heard from students and teachers in my time at the Prep (’71-’75).
The Church only answers questions that could expose it to legal damages when compelled to do so by plaintiff attorneys.
It will do nothing to raise the consciousness of victims of Fr. O’Brien to his being held liable at law already by one victim. To do so would lead those victims to hire attorneys and form alliances to develop the proofs needed to prosecute more damage cases against Fr. O’Brien for sexual predation during his long tenure as headmaster of Fordham Prep.
It will say nothing and do nothing. It will be, “unavailable for comment”, up until the moment that its predators are summoned at law to answer the damaging questions. Then it will answer, but its answers will be couched in apologies and reqret and solicitude for the victims who have forced it to answer. A solicitude that never appeared before the threat of monetary damages darkened its horizon.
Mealy-mouthed, fulsome mea culpas as a tactic for reducing monetary awards for damages caused by predatory priests whose behavior it has been forced by law to address after doing everything possible for years to ignore and obscure their crimes.
It is Church s.o.p. That confrontation and revelation has not yet occurred with Father O’Brien and his victims so the Church stands mute. The mealy-mouthedness will begin if his victims ever get their legal act together enough to prize him from his hidey-hole and compel him to testify.![]()
http://reform-network.net/?p=2144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;I am just now catching up with this news. I lived in fear of Fr. O’Brien. As a young man grappling with his sexuality, O’Brien was a predator and the rumors were rampant about his exploits. He was so powerful that for all of the rumors, no one dared speak or hear the truth for many years. I was warned by a brave faculty member to avoid any approaches by O’Brien, particularly to join his “prayer retreats to Saranac Lake.” Many to this day will deny O’Brien’s abuses and defend him, I’m sure. Everything said here confirms what I heard from students and teachers in my time at the Prep (’71-’75).