Political discussions
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Blagovich to name SIU/Howard Alum to U.S. Senate

Post by dbackjon »

Reports are surfacing that Illinois Gov. Blogovich will name former state AG Roland Burris to fill Barack Obama's Senate seat.

Whether the Senate will seat him is another matter...
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Blagovich to name SIU/Howard Alum to U.S. Senate

Post by dbackjon »

Born in Centralia, Illinois, Roland Burris received his bachelor's degree in political science from Southern Illinois University at Carbondale in 1959. He then studied at the University of Hamburg, Germany, for a year before entering law school at Howard University.

Burris began his career in 1963 as a national bank examiner for the U.S. Treasury Department. This gave him the honor of being the first African American to examine banks in the United States. From 1964 to 1973, he served as vice president of Continental Illinois National Bank, making significant contacts in both the corporate and African American communities. Burris began his government career in 1973 as director of the Illinois Department of General Services. In 1978, with his election to the first of three terms as state comptroller, he made history as the first African American elected to state office. On November 6, 1990, Roland W. Burris was elected attorney general for the state of Illinois. At that time, the only African American ranking higher in state office was Douglas Wilder, the governor of Virginia. He served as Illinois attorney general from 1991 to 1995.

Burris is now an attorney with the Peters law firm in Chicago, where he specializes in environmental, consumer affairs and estate law. Previously he was managing partner of the Chicago-based law firm of Jones, Ware & Grenard, one of the largest minority law firms in the country.

Biographical Note by The HistoryMakers®
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

This is hilarious. Blago appoints an African American so now the Dems in the Senate have to vote to refuse to seat a black man. Blago will be laughing all the way to his prison cell. :lol: :lol: :lol:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

HI54UNI wrote:This is hilarious. Blago appoints an African American so now the Dems in the Senate have to vote to refuse to seat a black man. Blago will be laughing all the way to his prison cell. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Exactly - a big FU to them.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

HI54UNI wrote:This is hilarious. Blago appoints an African American so now the Dems in the Senate have to vote to refuse to seat a black man. Blago will be laughing all the way to his prison cell. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I believe that the appointment has to be certified by the Illinois Secretary of State, Jesse White, who is also an African American.

Blago's maneuvers are usually all about style and have little substance. This one will probably fizzle out on him as well.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Right now it's so cold in Illinois that RBlag was spotted with his hands in his own pockets.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

This is about to get really interesting, or really funny. I wasted an hour of my life last night while some talking heads were debating this very topic. I could not change the channel to save my life. I just cannot wait until Tuesday to see what happens.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

grizzaholic wrote:
This is about to get really interesting, or really funny. I wasted an hour of my life last night while some talking heads were debating this very topic. I could not change the channel to save my life. I just cannot wait until Tuesday to see what happens.
What's both interesting and funny is that RBlag hasn't been convicted of anything, so his appointment is legit, business as usual. I believe Jesse White refused to confirm the appointment, which he has no grounds, or authority, to do.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

houndawg wrote:
grizzaholic wrote: This is about to get really interesting, or really funny. I wasted an hour of my life last night while some talking heads were debating this very topic. I could not change the channel to save my life. I just cannot wait until Tuesday to see what happens.
What's both interesting and funny is that RBlag hasn't been convicted of anything, so his appointment is legit, business as usual. I believe Jesse White refused to confirm the appointment, which he has no grounds, or authority, to do.
And now it turns out Harry Reid tried to influence the selection as well. Screw you Reid
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

dbackjon wrote:
houndawg wrote: What's both interesting and funny is that RBlag hasn't been convicted of anything, so his appointment is legit, business as usual. I believe Jesse White refused to confirm the appointment, which he has no grounds, or authority, to do.
And now it turns out Harry Reid tried to influence the selection as well. Screw you Reid
AMEN! Everyone of these worthless lying pieces of shit politicians needs to be thrown out on their asses in the next election. I was reading today how Reid was trying to influence Blago, Ken Salazar's brother will likely be appointed to his seat, the whole Kennedy appointment, and how Biden is trying to get a placeholder for his seat so his kid can run in two years. What a bunch of crap!
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

HI54UNI wrote:
dbackjon wrote: And now it turns out Harry Reid tried to influence the selection as well. Screw you Reid

AMEN! Everyone of these worthless lying pieces of shit politicians needs to be thrown out on their asses in the next election. I was reading today how Reid was trying to influence Blago, Ken Salazar's brother will likely be appointed to his seat, the whole Kennedy appointment, and how Biden is trying to get a placeholder for his seat so his kid can run in two years. What a bunch of crap!
Why, that's downright uncharitable, bro. You'd deny a guy a chance to make a living?

Pssst! Harry! Take my advice, if you want to influence Rod, don't offer appreciation. :lol:
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

So I guess tomorrow is the day. It should be interesting.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern