Political memes, Posters, Funny Pics, Etc.

Political discussions
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Political memes, Posters, Funny Pics, Etc.

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:41 pm
Maybe Goldwater would've advocated for using nuclear weapons (just the small ones of course) on some of these evangelicals? :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Can we at least admit now we are not a Christian nation?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:55 pm Can we at least admit now we are not a Christian nation?

What is the definition of Christian nation? Christianity makes up majority of religions in the US, or founded upon Christian principles? Or a different one?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:53 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:55 pm Can we at least admit now we are not a Christian nation?

What is the definition of Christian nation? Christianity makes up majority of religions in the US, or founded upon Christian principles? Or a different one?
That’s what Colbert is saying (and he’s a strong Christian btw). If we’re a Christian nation we unconditionally help the poor. We are not doing that because we’re CHOOSING to not embrace the ideas of Jesus.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:16 pm

That’s what Colbert is saying (and he’s a strong Christian btw). If we’re a Christian nation we unconditionally help the poor. We are not doing that because we’re CHOOSING to not embrace the ideas of Jesus.
Define Colbert's "strong" Christianity please, as you appear to be familiar with him.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

How do you define a Christian nation?

Do you believe that the US is a Christian nation? Why or why not?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:02 pm

That's why I was asking Kalm. Personally, I would call the US Christian because the majority of the population identify with a Christian faith.

It seems though, that Colbert is judging the US on the level of care for the poor as his barometer.

Of course since Colbert doesn't transact himself in a manner like Jesus, he's a hypocrite. :kisswink: and his argument is stupid.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:10 pm

That's why I was asking Kalm. Personally, I would call the US Christian because the majority of the population identify with a Christian faith.

It seems though, that Colbert is judging the US on the level of care for the poor as his barometer.

Of course since Colbert doesn't transact himself in a manner like Jesus, he's a hypocrite. :kisswink:
I would agree that the majority of the population is Christian.

While I believe that Christian principles influenced the founders, I don't believe the US was founded on Christian principles. The US is a secular nation. The Constitution is and should be the law of the land. The Bible, the Torah, the Koran, etc. have no place in our judicial system or our government other than for swearing in.

Humans are inherently flawed. No Christian is able to transact themselves "in a manner like Jesus". I would guess that Colbert knows that. Is it hypocrisy to criticize other Christians for not transacting themselves in a manner like Jesus?

texas attorney general pontius paxton is a Baptist who is suing Annunciation House to revoke their registration because of their ministry to the poor and less fortunate who are frequently illegal immigrants. Is he not a hypocrite?
Well I was born an original sinner.
I was borne from original sin.
And if I had a dollar bill
For all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money
Piled up to my chin
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:33 pm

Of course since Colbert doesn't transact himself in a manner like Jesus, he's a hypocrite. :kisswink:

While I believe that Christian principles influenced the founders, I don't believe the US was founded on Christian principles. The US is a secular nation. The Constitution is and should be the law of the land. The Bible, the Torah, the Koran, etc. have no place in our judicial system or our government other than for swearing in.

Humans are inherently flawed. No Christian is able to transact themselves "in a manner like Jesus". I would guess that Colbert knows that. Is it hypocrisy to criticize other Christians for not transacting themselves in a manner like Jesus?

texas attorney general pontius paxton is a Baptist who is suing Annunciation House to revoke their registration because of their ministry to the poor and less fortunate who are frequently illegal immigrants. Is he not a hypocrite?
Piled up to my chin
This ^^^
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Nope, Jesus was no hysterical fool, the fools are the ones that constantly try to demean him

“There will be poor always look at the good things you got… “.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:12 pm

Nope, Jesus was no hysterical fool, the fools are the ones that constantly try to demean him

And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’
Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,
a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.’
Then they will answer and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?’
He will answer them, ‘Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.’
And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:17 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:12 pm

And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’
Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,
a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.’
Then they will answer and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?’
He will answer them, ‘Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.’
And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
Broke out the predictable globalist playbook I see
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:15 am
kalm wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:17 pm

Broke out the predictable globalist playbook I see
:lol:

Those pesky followers of Jesus and their globalism….:)
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Oh my Lord.

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Piled up to my chin
I have no clue on founding of Christian principles, we are on the same page. I honestly don't even understand how you figure that one out. Has never been anything I cared about.

Is it hypocrisy? No. Christians gonna Christian.

To criticize is to miss the point. It's not a scoring system. It's Grace. There are no qualifiers. That's the issue with Colbert. Trying to quantify service to the poor as some sort of "Jesus" threshold.

What do you understand the "poor" to be in this instance?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:35 pm Oh my Lord.

:lol:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:44 pm

I have no clue on founding of Christian principles, we are on the same page. I honestly don't even understand how you figure that one out. Has never been anything I cared about.

To criticize is to miss the point. It's not a scoring system. It's Grace. There are no qualifiers. That's the issue with Colbert. Trying to quantify service to the poor as some sort of "Jesus" threshold.

Fair question.

Let’s start with those qualifying for Medicaid in states that don’t accept federal funding.

Next, move on to school lunch programs.

And remember, Colbert said unconditionally. Did Jesus suggest means testing? :lol:

Here’s some more ideas from a FB friend’s post. She’s kind hearted Christian. There are more than few of these.
A few thoughts about Christianity:

1) Christ is perfect but “Christianity” is not. Don’t mistake Christian Culture as God, they aren’t the same thing. Churches, pastors, theologians, and other believers will inevitably fail you, but Jesus never will.

2) It’s OK to change your beliefs. You’ll never have Christianity fully figured out. You won’t have an answer for everything. Theology is a journey, a Pilgrim’s Progress. Life, relationships, and experiences form, shape, and change the way you see, experience, and understand God. The disciples didn’t understand God much of the time, and you probably won’t either.

3) Christianity Isn’t Easy. It doesn’t magically fix things, make you more popular, wealthy, or healthier. In reality, it’s not a form of escapism but a lifelong process of dedication, service, sacrifice, and humbly loving others. It’s very, very, very hard, and not for the faint of heart.

4) Christianity Is Complex. Nobody believes the same thing. There are hundreds of denominations. Doctrines, practices, and traditions are as varied as the people that represent them. This diversity of faith should be appreciated and celebrated. The goal of Christianity isn’t conformity, but an honest and intimate relationship with God.

5) Christianity is ultimately about loving God and loving others. It should never be co-opted by a political movement, a religious institution, gaining power, obtaining control, spreading influence, enforcing laws, or becoming rich and famous. It’s about a loving relationship with God, and loving all humanity created in God’s divine image—never let anything supersede this.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Of course since Colbert doesn't transact himself in a manner like Jesus, he's a hypocrite. :kisswink: and his argument is stupid.
You would be wrong according to Congress: "...the United States are in no sense a christian nation..." Treaty with Tripoli :

Read it and weep.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:52 pm

Fair question.

Let’s start with those qualifying for Medicaid in states that don’t accept federal funding.

And remember, Colbert said unconditionally. Did Jesus suggest means testing? :lol:

Here’s some more ideas from a FB friend’s post. She’s kind hearted Christian. There are more than few of these.
A few thoughts about Christianity:

1) Christ is perfect but “Christianity” is not. Don’t mistake Christian Culture as God, they aren’t the same thing. Churches, pastors, theologians, and other believers will inevitably fail you, but Jesus never will.

2) It’s OK to change your beliefs. You’ll never have Christianity fully figured out. You won’t have an answer for everything. Theology is a journey, a Pilgrim’s Progress. Life, relationships, and experiences form, shape, and change the way you see, experience, and understand God. The disciples didn’t understand God much of the time, and you probably won’t either.

3) Christianity Isn’t Easy. It doesn’t magically fix things, make you more popular, wealthy, or healthier. In reality, it’s not a form of escapism but a lifelong process of dedication, service, sacrifice, and humbly loving others. It’s very, very, very hard, and not for the faint of heart.

4) Christianity Is Complex. Nobody believes the same thing. There are hundreds of denominations. Doctrines, practices, and traditions are as varied as the people that represent them. This diversity of faith should be appreciated and celebrated. The goal of Christianity isn’t conformity, but an honest and intimate relationship with God.

5) Christianity is ultimately about loving God and loving others. It should never be co-opted by a political movement, a religious institution, gaining power, obtaining control, spreading influence, enforcing laws, or becoming rich and famous. It’s about a loving relationship with God, and loving all humanity created in God’s divine image—never let anything supersede this.
Okay, so let's go back to the original intent. It's pretty much anyone who couldn't make a living back in those days. Injured, old widows, etc.

Anywho, how do you extrapolate that to today. Who are those that are not able bodied to keep a job?
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

:jack:

Who you tryin to jive with that cosmic debris? - Frank Zappa
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:24 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:52 pm

Fair question.

Okay, so let's go back to the original intent. It's pretty much anyone who couldn't make a living back in those days. Injured, old widows, etc.

Anywho, how do you extrapolate that to today. Who are those that are not able bodied to keep a job?
Again, “unconditionally” is what Colbert said. Did Jesus judge a beggar’s ability work? Ask him them if there challenges were physical or mental? Or what skills they had? Or did ask to feed the hungry and take care ofctgrcfosn trodden?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:37 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:24 pm

Again, “unconditionally” is what Colbert said. Did Jesus judge a beggar’s ability work? Ask him them if there challenges were physical or mental? Or what skills they had? Or did ask to feed the hungry and take care ofctgrcfosn trodden?
What is the definition of poor in this instance?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:34 pm
kalm wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:37 am

What is the definition of poor in this instance?
Start with what I posted before…a kid who qualifies for school lunch programs or Medicaid.