BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: 2024 Primary

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:17 am
BDKJMU wrote: Wrong. The leak of Trump’s pemding arrest came out NYC 8 days ago (Fri, 3/17) from ‘anonymous sources’

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/investigatio ... s/4160387/
It might have come out a day or 2 earlier, but I remeber it was Friday, 3/17 when it 1st blew up in the news. Regardless, it didn’t 1st come from Trump, who didn’t put out a truth about it until the next day, Saturday, 3/18.
You trust anonymous sources now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. My point was ‘The only person who said the arrest was coming was Trump’ was false.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Trump kicks off his 2024 campaign with rally tonight in Waco, 6 PM ECB.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:37 am

No. My point was ‘The only person who said the arrest was coming was Trump’ was false.
But if anonymous sources can't be trusted and should be disregarded then that report doesn't count and trump was first. :poke:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Who are you quoting here? I asked who announced it. The links you posted didn’t sstste emphatically that hecwas being arrested on Tuesday. They reported that LExwas coordinating with Trumps legal and SS detail on how to handle it when it happens.

Donnie pushed Tuesday as fact. It’s actually clever marketing. The one thing in his life he’s good at.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:39 pm
Who are you quoting here? I asked who announced it. The links you posted didn’t sstste emphatically that hecwas being arrested on Tuesday. They reported that LExwas coordinating with Trumps legal and SS detail on how to handle it when it happens.

Donnie pushed Tuesday as fact. It’s actually clever marketing. The one thing in his life he’s good at.
Ibanez.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:41 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:05 pm So when is Trump’s arrest coming? Was suppose to happen Tuesday, but didn’t happen Tuesday, yesterday or today.
The only person who said the arrest was coming from Trump. Even his lawyers didn’t agree. He’s just a fear mongering pussy.

It’s not wise to put any stock into anything he says. He’s a known liar and con artist.
Everybody knows that junkies are notorious liars.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Latest polls

Conk primary:
Reuters/Ipsos: Trump 44, Desantis 30, Pence 5, Haley 3, no one else more than 1

Harvard/Harris: Trump 50, Desantis 25, Pence 7, Haley 5, Cruz & Scott 2, one else more than 1.

Gen election Harvard Harris:
Trump 45, Biden 41
Trump 48, Harris 38

Desantis 44, Biden 41
Desantis 46, Harris 38

Biden 42, Haley 40
Haley 43, Harris 38
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... elections/
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:04 pm Latest polls

Conk primary:

Harvard/Harris: Trump 50, Desantis 25, Pence 7, Haley 5, Cruz & Scott 2, one else more than 1.

Trump 45, Biden 41
Trump 48, Harris 38

Desantis 44, Biden 41
Desantis 46, Harris 38

Biden 42, Haley 40
Haley 43, Harris 38
Polls can certainly be misleading. I don't think Trump would beat any Democratic nominee at this team, even Harris of all people (okay, maybe Harris). Trump's too toxic to win a general election - the GOP would be handing another 4 years to the Dems if they end up going the crazy route and nominate him again. And given that control of the Senate is easily within the GOP's reach in '24 as well, they'd be doubly ridiculous to go the Trump route and jeopardize that. But, I wouldn't be shocked by anything at this point.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:43 am

Conk primary:

Trump 45, Biden 41
Trump 48, Harris 38

Desantis 44, Biden 41
Desantis 46, Harris 38

Biden 42, Haley 40
Haley 43, Harris 38
Polls can certainly be misleading. I don't think Trump would beat any Democratic nominee at this team, even Harris of all people (okay, maybe Harris). Trump's too toxic to win a general election - the GOP would be handing another 4 years to the Dems if they end up going the crazy route and nominate him again. And given that control of the Senate is easily within the GOP's reach in '24 as well, they'd be doubly ridiculous to go the Trump route and jeopardize that. But, I wouldn't be shocked by anything at this point.
Who do you think can beat Trump in the primary? Will there be a moderate non-MAGA candidate that joins the fray? And if there is someone, will Trump run as an indie?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

The hypocrisy of the Christian Right is clear. I’m not sure though in the assessment that Trump no longer controls the movement.
MAGA, Not Trump, Controls the Movement Now

I saw this phenomenon firsthand early in the Trump era. I was speaking to a small group of evangelical pastors about how white evangelicals no longer valued good character in politicians. Compared with other Christian groups and unaffiliated Americans, white evangelicals went from the group least likely to believe that “an elected official who commits an immoral act in their personal life can still behave ethically and fulfill their duties” in 2011 to the group most likely to excuse immoral politicians in 2016, according to a Public Religion Research Institute/Brookings Institution Survey.

In that conversation I discussed the 1998 Southern Baptist Convention Resolution on Moral Character of Public Officials. Passed during the height of the scandal around Bill Clinton’s affair with Monica Lewinsky, it declared a Christian commitment to political integrity in no uncertain terms. “Tolerance of serious wrong by leaders,” it said, “sears the conscience of the culture, spawns unrestrained immorality and lawlessness in the society and surely results in God’s judgment.”

When I reminded the group of that language, a pastor from Alabama raised an objection. “That’s going to sound elitist to lots of folks in my congregation,” he said. I was confused. Here was a Baptist pastor telling me that his congregation would find a recent statement of Baptist belief elitist. It became clear that many Baptists believed their own resolution when it applied to Clinton but not when it applied to Trump.

Politicians are always tempted to pander, but rarely do you see such a complete abdication of anything approaching true moral or political leadership as what transpired at the Waco rally. It began with that ridiculous and irrelevant statement about Volodymyr Zelensky (what does his sexual orientation have to do with the rightness of Ukraine’s cause?), continued with MyPillow’s Mike Lindell repeating wildly false election claims and ended with an angry, albeit boilerplate, Trump stump speech that was also littered with falsehoods.

And if you think for a moment that there’s any Trumpworld regret over the Jan. 6 insurrection, the rally provided a decisive response. At the beginning of Trump’s speech, he stood — hand over his heart — while he listened to a song called “Justice for All,” which he recorded with something called the “J6 Prison Choir,” a group of men imprisoned for storming the Capitol. The song consists of the choir singing the national anthem while Trump recites the Pledge of Allegiance.

It’s common to criticize the Trumpist movement as a Donald Trump cult, but that’s not quite right anymore. He’s still immensely influential, but do true cultists boo their leader when he deviates from the approved script? Yet that’s what happened in December 2021, when parts of a Dallas rally crowd booed Trump when he said he’d received a Covid vaccine booster. And does anyone think that Trump is a QAnon aficionado? Yet in 2022 he boosted explicit Q content on Truth Social, his social media platform of choice.

There may have been a time when Trump truly commanded his movement. That time is past. His movement now commands him. Fed by conspiracy theories, it is hungry for confrontation, and rallies like the one at Waco demonstrate its dominance. Like the pirate standing in front of Tom Hanks’s character in the popular 2013 film “Captain Phillips,” the populist right stands in front of the G.O.P., conservative media and even reluctant rank-and-file Republicans and delivers a single, simple message: “I’m the captain now.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/26/opin ... tid=uc01c0
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:43 am

Conk primary:

Trump 45, Biden 41
Trump 48, Harris 38

Desantis 44, Biden 41
Desantis 46, Harris 38

Biden 42, Haley 40
Haley 43, Harris 38
Think Trump would beat an 82 year old Biden.
-Biden will have far worse cognitive decline/dementia 2024 than 2020
-Biden won’t be able to hide out in his basement like he did in 2020
-Will likely be coming off of, or in, a recession.

There’s only 6-8 states that matter (that will decide the elction). And in 4 of those (GA, WI, MI, AZ, compared to 2020, Trump would just need to gain less than four tenths of 1% (or flip less than two tenths of 1 percent) to get what would have been 269/269 EC tie in 2020, 272-266 in 2024 (due to redistricting).
Last edited by BDKJMU on Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: 2024 Primaries

Post by dbackjon »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:53 pm
dbackjon wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:34 pm

It's very arguable. In fact, you'd lose. The facts show that.
Would you care to show facts, or would you like us to believe a house that gets 20 mail in ballots due to outdated voter rolls commits less fraud than people actually showing up and providing ID to vote.
Doesn't matter how many are mailed. They are all verified against the original signature when returned. One per voter.
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:59 pm
dbackjon wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:33 pm

There is no more fraud with mail-in ballots than in-person voting. Decades of experience in Red and Blue states show that. No Valid reason? How about work, family, more time to study a ballot and all the propositions, judges, etc.
And you provide zero evidence of your claim.
No fraud in Washington, Oregon, Arizona, etc that are either all mail-in or 80% mail in.

Where is your proof that there is?
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:18 pm
dbackjon wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:37 pm
The Electoral College is an outdated vestige of slavery. The Republicans in 90% of elections can't win the popular vote.
[/code]
How are the Democrats trying to undermine the Senate?

The GOP has undermined the House and state governments with extreme gerrymandering.

The GOP is 3/4 of the way to the authoritarian government already
The Electoral College is not an outdated vestige of slavery. There were a number of reasons that contributed to it's forming but I don't think slavery was a top reason much less the only or primary reason.

Proof that "Republicans in 90% of elections can't win the popular vote"? You made a statement, prove it without adding any qualifiers after the fact.

Trying to weaken the filibuster is undermining the Senate.

Both parties engage in gerrymandering. Take a look at Illinois and Oregon for examples of the Democratic party doing it.

Both parties are 3/4 of the way to authoritarian government.
It was the primary reason.

Why should a supermajority be needed for a vote? No reason what so ever.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

dbackjon wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:12 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:18 pm

The Electoral College is not an outdated vestige of slavery. There were a number of reasons that contributed to it's forming but I don't think slavery was a top reason much less the only or primary reason.

Proof that "Republicans in 90% of elections can't win the popular vote"? You made a statement, prove it without adding any qualifiers after the fact.

Trying to weaken the filibuster is undermining the Senate.

Both parties engage in gerrymandering. Take a look at Illinois and Oregon for examples of the Democratic party doing it.

Both parties are 3/4 of the way to authoritarian government.
It was the primary reason.

Why should a supermajority be needed for a vote? No reason what so ever.
I disagree.

It's part of the tradition of the chamber and helps to prevent tyranny of the majority.

Where's the proof that "Republicans in 90% of elections can't win the popular vote"? Time to own up to Chizzying the numbers.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

dbackjon wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:09 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:53 pm

Would you care to show facts, or would you like us to believe a house that gets 20 mail in ballots due to outdated voter rolls commits less fraud than people actually showing up and providing ID to vote.
Doesn't matter how many are mailed. They are all verified against the original signature when returned. One per voter.
:lol: Yes, we've never seen a signature that didn't match and got counted. You know you can be disingenuous and hide behind that statement because validating the accuracy of votes post election is never allowed.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:31 am The hypocrisy of the Christian Right is clear. I’m not sure though in the assessment that Trump no longer controls the movement.

I saw this phenomenon firsthand early in the Trump era. I was speaking to a small group of evangelical pastors about how white evangelicals no longer valued good character in politicians. Compared with other Christian groups and unaffiliated Americans, white evangelicals went from the group least likely to believe that “an elected official who commits an immoral act in their personal life can still behave ethically and fulfill their duties” in 2011 to the group most likely to excuse immoral politicians in 2016, according to a Public Religion Research Institute/Brookings Institution Survey.

In that conversation I discussed the 1998 Southern Baptist Convention Resolution on Moral Character of Public Officials. Passed during the height of the scandal around Bill Clinton’s affair with Monica Lewinsky, it declared a Christian commitment to political integrity in no uncertain terms. “Tolerance of serious wrong by leaders,” it said, “sears the conscience of the culture, spawns unrestrained immorality and lawlessness in the society and surely results in God’s judgment.”

When I reminded the group of that language, a pastor from Alabama raised an objection. “That’s going to sound elitist to lots of folks in my congregation,” he said. I was confused. Here was a Baptist pastor telling me that his congregation would find a recent statement of Baptist belief elitist. It became clear that many Baptists believed their own resolution when it applied to Clinton but not when it applied to Trump.

Politicians are always tempted to pander, but rarely do you see such a complete abdication of anything approaching true moral or political leadership as what transpired at the Waco rally. It began with that ridiculous and irrelevant statement about Volodymyr Zelensky (what does his sexual orientation have to do with the rightness of Ukraine’s cause?), continued with MyPillow’s Mike Lindell repeating wildly false election claims and ended with an angry, albeit boilerplate, Trump stump speech that was also littered with falsehoods.

And if you think for a moment that there’s any Trumpworld regret over the Jan. 6 insurrection, the rally provided a decisive response. At the beginning of Trump’s speech, he stood — hand over his heart — while he listened to a song called “Justice for All,” which he recorded with something called the “J6 Prison Choir,” a group of men imprisoned for storming the Capitol. The song consists of the choir singing the national anthem while Trump recites the Pledge of Allegiance.

It’s common to criticize the Trumpist movement as a Donald Trump cult, but that’s not quite right anymore. He’s still immensely influential, but do true cultists boo their leader when he deviates from the approved script? Yet that’s what happened in December 2021, when parts of a Dallas rally crowd booed Trump when he said he’d received a Covid vaccine booster. And does anyone think that Trump is a QAnon aficionado? Yet in 2022 he boosted explicit Q content on Truth Social, his social media platform of choice.

There may have been a time when Trump truly commanded his movement. That time is past. His movement now commands him. Fed by conspiracy theories, it is hungry for confrontation, and rallies like the one at Waco demonstrate its dominance. Like the pirate standing in front of Tom Hanks’s character in the popular 2013 film “Captain Phillips,” the populist right stands in front of the G.O.P., conservative media and even reluctant rank-and-file Republicans and delivers a single, simple message: “I’m the captain now.”

He's like a surfer - he can ride the wave and move about a bit but the wave is going its way with or without him
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:31 am The hypocrisy of the Christian Right is clear. I’m not sure though in the assessment that Trump no longer controls the movement.

:rofl: Always love a Cleatsesque evaluation of a subject you clearly have no grasp upon.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:02 pm

:rofl: Always love a Cleatsesque evaluation of a subject you clearly have no grasp upon.

...so give us the inside on the evangesticles and how what's good for the Clinton is not good for the Donald. :coffee:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:27 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:02 pm

...so give us the inside on the evangesticles and how what's good for the Clinton is not good for the Donald. :coffee:
Well first off, the whole atheist trying to tell a Christian how to live their life is a real knee slapper, especially when they have no grasp of Christianity. More importantly though, Christianity is a religion in which those who accept Christ admit they are flawed and are given salvation out of grace. Once that happens, Christians are then supposed to shun anyone they don't deem perfect? :dunce: You can't "earn" your way into Heaven by being a dick to everyone you deem unworthy.

It all boils down to atheists thinking Christians are trying to earn their way into Heaven. There is no earning. It is given.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:36 pm

Well first off, the whole atheist trying to tell a Christian how to live their life is a real knee slapper, especially when they have no grasp of Christianity. More importantly though, Christianity is a religion in which those who accept Christ admit they are flawed and are given salvation out of grace. Once that happens, Christians are then supposed to shun anyone they don't deem perfect? :dunce: You can't "earn" your way into Heaven by being a dick to everyone you deem unworthy.

It all boils down to atheists thinking Christians are trying to earn their way into Heaven. There is no earning. It is given.
Actually its a recycled Egyptian sun-god myth. :coffee:

Send me some of what you're smoking! :lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Is it as much of a knee slapper as a straight person telling an LGBTQ+ person how to live their life or saying they have mental health issues?

How often does trump admit making a mistake much less that he's flawed?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:35 pm

Is it as much of a knee slapper as a straight person telling an LGBTQ+ person how to live their life or saying they have mental health issues?

How often do you admit you've made a mistake? What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Nothing and Trump doesn't have to admit shit. I have no clue of Trump salvation status, but you judging him bears zero shits on his status. Judgy Judgerton.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:43 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:35 pm

How often do you admit you've made a mistake? What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Nothing and Trump doesn't have to admit shit. I have no clue of Trump salvation status, but you judging him bears zero shits on his status. Judgy Judgerton.
Probably at least once a day. I'm not afraid to make mistakes and I try to be a big enough person to admit them.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? You're the one who posted "those who accept Christ admit they are flawed." trump can't admit he's flawed therefore he must not have accepted Christ. Why do evangelicals support the heathen?