Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: The Official

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:24 am
kalm wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:10 am

Ha! Perfect for this discussion! A FB friend just shared that this morning. It took 30 seconds to view multiple sources confirming that while coal represented 40 % of electricity production in 2014 it’s been cut in half since.

Using erroneous numbers in the 2nd paragraph to boost an argument doesn’t help.

:ohno:
The numbers may change slightly, but the argument remains the same. Try again.
Actual numbering is hard! :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: The Official

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:04 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:24 am

The numbers may change slightly, but the argument remains the same. Try again.
Actual numbering is hard! :lol:
The numbers change every day, Einstein. Doesn’t change the fact the argument itself is sound.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: The Official "Making America Woke Again" Thread

Post by BDKJMU »

(WSJ paywall, so quoted the whole article):
Does the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill Say That?
The reaction to Florida’s law on parents and schools is overwrought.

Opponents call it Florida’s “don’t say gay” bill, and the political branding seems to have worked, given how the mainstream press laundered that charged phrase into a national rallying cry. The legislation passed the Florida Senate on Tuesday, and it now awaits Gov. Ron DeSantis’s signature.

What does the seven-page bill actually do? One section says schools generally “may not discourage or prohibit parental notification of and involvement in critical decisions affecting a student’s mental, emotional, or physical health or well-being.” Parents also can’t be blocked from “education and health records created, maintained, or used by the school.”

Another section says: “Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age-appropriate.” Parents who think the law isn’t being followed could ask for the appointment of a magistrate to review the dispute. Or they could sue to get a declaratory judgment and attorney fees.

To millions of parents, this no doubt sounds noncontroversial. Their children’s mental health and school records are eminently their business. Kindergartners are supposed to be learning how to read and peaceably resolve turf wars over Tonka trucks. To their tiny ears, “sexual orientation” is a string of silly nonsense syllables. The bill says older children could be taught “age-appropriate” material.

Moreover, the curriculum rule would appear to have no immediate effect. “In practice,” the Tampa Bay Times reports, “it is unclear exactly how things will change in the classroom because sexual orientation and gender identity is not something that is being taught in grades K-3 at the moment.” If that’s the case, then why is everybody so riled up?

Earlier versions of the bill said that primary schools could not “encourage classroom discussion” about sexual orientation. Critics said this was vague. What if a teacher asked students to draw and describe their families, and one had two moms? Last month the House revised its bill to target “classroom instruction,” a narrower phrase. “The idea that we would ban a specific conversation a child is having about their parent is impossible,” the legislative sponsor said.

Yet the narrative train was speeding down the track already. Some reporters this week are still blithely quoting the wrong version of the bill. A Democratic lawmaker invokes “1984” and claims: “Not only might teachers be punished for allowing classroom discussion about a student’s own family structure, but children with LGBTQ+ family members will be ostracized and shamed.”

White House press secretary Jen Psaki claimed that maybe the bill’s sponsors want to hurt children. “Why are Florida leaders deciding they need to discriminate against kids who are members of the LGBTQI community?” she said. “Is it meanness? Is it wanting to make kids have more difficult times in school?” Disney’s CEO was buffaloed into taking a public stance against the legislation, which satisfied no one.

None of this criticism is true. The legislation is a response to public-school educators who think parents should stay out of school decisions. But parents have a right to ensure that the curriculum is age appropriate, and that it is focused on learning instead of promoting someone’s cultural agenda. The bill lets them vindicate parental authority.

The bigger lesson is that even modest conservative pushback on cultural issues will be met by a firestorm. The overwrought reaction shows why the bill passed.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/does-the-d ... 1647041916

So according the little red headed Goebbels, 4 to 8 year old kids are members of the alphabet people community? :suspicious: And the left wing CEO of Disney came out criticizing the bill (anyone criticizing a bill that says you’re can’t teach sexuality, gender identity and trannyism to 4 to 8 year old pre kindergarten through 3rd grade is a sick leftist loon. If the Disney CEO was smart he would have kept his mouth shir instead if pissing off a large chunk of his customer base (parents who don’t want their very small children taught about sexuality/trannyism/gender identity.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Biden comes out with his lie about the bill, despite in 1994, Biden voting
for an amendment to an education bill that aimed to "prohibit Federal funds for instructional materials, instruction, counseling, or other services on school grounds, from being used for the promotion of homosexuality as a positive lifestyle alternative.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/psaki- ... 4-vote.amp
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

In response to the woke lefty Disney CEO, Biden, Little Red Lying Hood, and all the rest of the left, Desantis, instead of backing down like some weak ass conks, comes out with both guns blazing. :nod:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Man is named USA Today ‘Woman’ of the Year.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:58 pm Man is named USA Today ‘Woman’ of the Year.
Have you ever met a transgender person, BDK?
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:58 pm Man is named USA Today ‘Woman’ of the Year.
Men are better at being women than women. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Baldy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:00 am
Men are better at being women than women. :coffee:
Imagine how every woman out there who's made a significant impact on the world this year feels right about now.... :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:04 pm
Good question.

Why all the angst over someone who believes that they are a different gender then their biological gender at birth? Does it really impact you? I'm much more concerned with how good Levine is at her job than I am with her gender identity.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:40 am

Good question.

Why all the angst over someone who believes that they are a different gender then their biological gender at birth? Does it really impact you? I'm much more concerned with how good Levine is at her job than I am with her gender identity.
I want to be the NFL Hispanic Player of the Year. Vote for me even though I'm not Hispanic or in the NFL.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:46 am
Good question.

I want to be the NFL Hispanic Player of the Year. Vote for me even though I'm not Hispanic or in the NFL.
Put yourself out there and start your campaign. Tell your family, friends and the public that you identify as a Hispanic NFL player.

Levine put herself out there and opened herself up to ridicule while others mock her from the safety of a relatively anonymous message board.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Good question.

Aren’t you Sicilian? The Central America of Italy?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:16 am
Aren’t you Sicilian? The Central America of Italy?
No. From just above the heel.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Good question.

From what I can tell, no, she is not good at her job. She was one who supported filling nursing homes with those who were sick with COVID. Of course she pulled her mom out of her nursing home though, but everyone else's mom is okay to stay.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Good question.

If a person earns the award based on job performance vs. checking a box, it is two different things. One I support, the other I do not.

My first question is what has she done to be nominated in the first place and who else was nominated?

The only thing I know about her is that she pulled her grandma out of the nursing home a few days before she signed an order to force nursing homes to accept patients that had or were hospitalized with COVID. On the surface that looks duplicitous, but what are the specifics behind both decisions? Was it a coincidence or not?

Outside of that I have zero opinion as I do not know the details surrounding the award. I am not sure it as prestigious award as some people make it out to be in the first place. Harris has won it in the past for what I am not sure.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Good question.

Levine was a disaster at his job as Sec of Health in PA through 2020 during the China Virus breakout. PA 2020 was Top 5 in nursing home deaths per capita 2020, and he pulled his elderly mom out of a nursing home early on when PA had a policy that nursing homes had to accept people that had been Covid positive. He got picked by Brandon to be Assistant Sec of Dept of HHS because of purely because of identity politics.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:08 am
Put yourself out there and start your campaign. Tell your family, friends and the public that you identify as a Hispanic NFL player.

Levine put herself out there and opened herself up to ridicule while others mock her from the safety of a relatively anonymous message board.
Mocking her? Just asking the question: Were there no ACTUAL women who did anything noteworthy?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:34 am
Good question.

If a person earns the award based on job performance vs. checking a box, it is two different things. One I support, the other I do not.

My first question is what has she done to be nominated in the first place and who else was nominated?

The only thing I know about her is that she pulled her grandma out of the nursing home a few days before she signed an order to force nursing homes to accept patients that had or were hospitalized with COVID. On the surface that looks duplicitous, but what are the specifics behind both decisions? Was it a coincidence or not?

Outside of that I have zero opinion as I do not know the details surrounding the award. I am not sure it as prestigious award as some people make it out to be in the first place. Harris has won it in the past for what I am not sure.
You and I are in agreement. BDK's post that started the discussion was critical of her gender ("Man is named USA Today ‘Woman’ of the Year.") not her performance/accomplishments. I don't think she deserved the award, not because she's transgender but because her accomplishments didn't justify it.

I do think it took courage to be transgender in such a public role and will give her credit for that.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:40 am Why all the angst over someone who believes that they are a different gender then their biological gender at birth? Does it really impact you?
There are a lot of potential problems with it. Where do you stand on the Penn swimmer? How about if someone decides to change genders every other month and you accidentally call them a he/she when they are a she/he and you are admonished for using the wrong pronoun? Canada was looking to pass laws on pronoun usage. I could see the same happening here. It's not nothing.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:39 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:40 am Why all the angst over someone who believes that they are a different gender then their biological gender at birth? Does it really impact you?
There are a lot of potential problems with it. Where do you stand on the Penn swimmer? How about if someone decides to change genders every other month and you accidentally call them a he/she when they are a she/he and you are admonished for using the wrong pronoun? Canada was looking to pass laws on pronoun usage. I could see the same happening here. It's not nothing.
Yes there are a lot of potential problems with it. But there is a difference between being concerned about actual problems and just mocking an individual. As I already stated, BDK's post that started the discussion was critical of her gender("Man is named USA Today ‘Woman’ of the Year.") not her performance/accomplishments.

I believe the Penn swimmer has an unfair biological advantage despite the hormone therapy she's undergone. Maybe she shouldn't be able to compete as a female or maybe it's a matter of finding and requiring treatments (how much hormone therapy and for how long) that level the playing field. We're early in this and there are a lot of issues and unanswered questions.

With regard to using proper pronouns, I just got back from a conference and attended a number of excellent DEI sessions. One of the key messages was to extend grace to yourself and others. That should include being understanding if someone mistakenly or intentionally uses the wrong pronoun. I am against laws on pronoun usage, that's government overreach.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:04 pm
89Hen wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:39 pm
Yes there are a lot of potential problems with it. But there is a difference between being concerned about actual problems and just mocking an individual. As I already stated, BDK's post that started the discussion was critical of her gender("Man is named USA Today ‘Woman’ of the Year.") not her performance/accomplishments.

I believe the Penn swimmer has an unfair biological advantage despite the hormone therapy she's undergone. Maybe she shouldn't be able to compete as a female or maybe it's a matter of finding and requiring treatments (how much hormone therapy and for how long) that level the playing field. We're early in this and there are a lot of issues and unanswered questions.

With regard to using proper pronouns, I just got back from a conference and attended a number of excellent DEI sessions. One of the key messages was to extend grace to yourself and others. That should include being understanding if someone mistakenly or intentionally uses the wrong pronoun. I am against laws on pronoun usage, that's government overreach.
No such thing. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :kisswink:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:23 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:04 pm

No such thing. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :kisswink:
That's as accurate as saying that all whites are privileged racists. :coffee:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:50 pm
Winterborn wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:34 am

You and I are in agreement. BDK's post that started the discussion was critical of her gender ("Man is named USA Today ‘Woman’ of the Year.") not her performance/accomplishments. I don't think she deserved the award, not because she's transgender but because her accomplishments didn't justify it.

I do think it took courage to be transgender in such a public role and will give her credit for that.
My post was critical of people pretending she is a woman when he is a man.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:40 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:50 pm

My post was critical of people pretending she is a woman when he is a man.
Just like my post was critical of bigotted, old, white neanderthals who are bitter because it's harder for them to pretend that the world still revolves around them. :coffee: