Coronavirus COVID-19

Political discussions
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by Gil Dobie »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:45 pm So what does that make heart disease (2.1k a day) or cancer (1.6k a day).
Covid was actually over 3000 deaths per day at one time. I am on preventative heart disease program, after my youngest brother died at 35 from a heart attack. I also go in for recommended cancer checks, prostrate, esophagus, and annual checkups with Dr. I enjoy spending time with my grandchildren and want as much time with them as I can get.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:49 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:38 pm

No. Viral interference. COVID has been on an NDSU run among the respiratory illnesses, but fortunately in this division, Covids reign is over. Now the lesser programs get to win the championship of cold/flu season.
Is is possible that NDSU got a boost from a Chinese laboratory to make this run so dominant? A little gain of function research for the folks in Fargo?
For sure! :lol:

Cheatin' bastiges
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:38 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:01 pm

I think that the reason we are seeing influenza and RSV comebacks is because we have relaxed the COVID-19 mitigations. I think that, along with the fact that Omicron is more contagious, is also a factor in how MANY COVID-19 cases we have been seeing. If you compare this year to last year at this time, I think there is much less attention to social distancing, much less mask wearing, many more large gatherings, etc. Also in person school so that we have lots of little disease vectors running around.

Endemic is relative. If it gets to the point where we say COVID-19 surges like have been seeing in recent weeks are normal and we get them every year or even twice per year (that's what's been approximately happening with COVID-19 so far) then it will be endemic. But let's hope that's not the case because it is a much heavier disease burden than the seasonal flu, etc. Let's hope we don't get to a point where we have to accept 1,500 COVID-19 deaths per day as the "endemic" normal.

It's kind of like malaria is endemic in certain parts of the world. Yes, it's endemic because it's normal. But it's also very bad.
No. Viral interference. COVID has been on an NDSU run among the respiratory illnesses, but fortunately in this division, Covids reign is over. Now the lesser programs get to win the championship of cold/flu season.
Not yet. There is no doubt that COVID-19 is continuing to cause a lot more damage than any other contagious respiratory disease. And it's not close.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

With respect to how COVID-19 during this flu season might end up comparing to the seasonal flu. If you go to https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/past-seasons.html you can see the CDC estimates for influenza deaths for the past 10 flu seasons going back to the 2010/2011 flu season. The highest point estimates for deaths among those 10 flu seasons is 61,000 for the 2017/2018 flu season. The highest upper limit of 95% confidence is 95,000; also for the 2017/2018 flu season.

The flu season is generally considered to be October through May. As of now, according to Worldometers, we have 159,734 counted COVID-19 deaths October 2021 through present. Not estimated. COUNTED. As I've noted before, the estimated number of deaths is higher. And we still have three months left to the 2021/2022 flu season.

Meanwhile, the current CDC estimate for influenza deaths during October 1, 2021 through January 15, 2022 is from 1,100 to 3,200 (see https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/pr ... imates.htm). BTW, if the overall proportions with respect to age groups is used to estimate, you'd estimate that there have been about 30,000 COVID-19 deaths among people under 65 so far this flu season.

No. This is not like the flu. And it's CERTAINLY not like the common cold. It's way worse. And people need to stop this crap of pretending that it's not. One of the worst things about this whole episode has been the problem with such a substantial proportion of people being in denial with respect to what the reality is. We're trying to minimize the damage and we've got a bunch of idiots that won't even accept the fact that it's a serious problem and do their part.
Could I ever be a star?

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:36 pm With respect to how COVID-19 during this flu season might end up comparing to the seasonal flu. If you go to https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/past-seasons.html you can see the CDC estimates for influenza deaths for the past 10 flu seasons going back to the 2010/2011 flu season. The highest point estimates for deaths among those 10 flu seasons is 61,000 for the 2017/2018 flu season. The highest upper limit of 95% confidence is 95,000; also for the 2017/2018 flu season.

The flu season is generally considered to be October through May. As of now, according to Worldometers, we have 159,734 counted COVID-19 deaths October 2021 through present. Not estimated. COUNTED. As I've noted before, the estimated number of deaths is higher. And we still have three months left to the 2021/2022 flu season.

Meanwhile, the current CDC estimate for influenza deaths during October 1, 2021 through January 15, 2022 is from 1,100 to 3,200 (see https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/pr ... imates.htm). BTW, if the overall proportions with respect to age groups is used to estimate, you'd estimate that there have been about 30,000 COVID-19 deaths among people under 65 so far this flu season.

No. This is not like the flu. And it's CERTAINLY not like the common cold. It's way worse. And people need to stop this crap of pretending that it's not. One of the worst things about this whole episode has been the problem with such a substantial proportion of people being in denial with respect to what the reality is. We're trying to minimize the damage and we've got a bunch of idiots that won't even accept the fact that it's a serious problem and do their part.
People have already made up their mind about Covid.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:11 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:36 pm With respect to how COVID-19 during this flu season might end up comparing to the seasonal flu. If you go to https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/past-seasons.html you can see the CDC estimates for influenza deaths for the past 10 flu seasons going back to the 2010/2011 flu season. The highest point estimates for deaths among those 10 flu seasons is 61,000 for the 2017/2018 flu season. The highest upper limit of 95% confidence is 95,000; also for the 2017/2018 flu season.

Some haven’t and some have changed. A good friend of mine who golfs, farms, and voted Trump went from washing hands in cow shit as a prevention (not kidding) to fully vaxxed.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

[tweet][/tweet]
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:59 am [tweet][/tweet]
:lol:

4th dose!
4th dose!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:17 am

4th dose!
4th dose!
Is there something wrong with a 4th dose?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:45 am

4th dose!
4th dose!
I think he won that race by a nose.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:09 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:45 am
I think he won that race by a nose.
It was clearly Leave Them Kids Alone. :lol:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

4th dose!
4th dose!
That’s fucking great!

And here comes “Leave Them Kids Alone”!

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

:rofl: :rofl: :notworthy: :notworthy:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

It's only a cold. :lol: :lol:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

CAA Flagship wrote:It's only a cold. :lol: :lol:
- JSO, 2020

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

:lol: :clap:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

It's almost like the Federal gubmint wants these people to die. Ask yourself why that is.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:06 pm It's only a cold. :lol: :lol:
“I have no idea how they’re gonna sort this one out!”
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Elderly white Karens attack black man in elevator for not wearing a mask, while simultaneously saying ‘Black Lives Matter’. Bizzaro. :suspicious: Obvioulsy mentaly ill.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/viral-video- ... ck-man.amp
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:48 pm Elderly white Karens attack black man in elevator for not wearing a mask, while simultaneously saying ‘Black Lives Matter’. Bizzaro. :suspicious: Obvioulsy mentaly ill.

Fox News Link
FIFY
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:50 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:48 pm Elderly white Karens attack black man in elevator for not wearing a mask, while simultaneously saying ‘Black Lives Matter’. Bizzaro. :suspicious: Obvioulsy mentaly ill.

Fox News Link
FIFY
Either way it appears as one line. Doesn’t make any difference.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:11 pm

That doesn't change the reality. People can think it's like the flu or the cold all they want. The reality is that it is not.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

I don't know about the Black Lives matter thing. Also, if he was in the elevator first, they should have just waited until the elevator came back without him in it. But he's a jerk for being in an elevator without a mask.

The women are likely not masks police. They likely are people trying to protect themselves during the current surge and understand that the primary purpose of a mask is to prevent other people...including other people who are not showing symptoms but are infectious...from infecting others. They are in an enclosed, relatively low ventilation space and someone who is not wearing a mask to restrict whatever he is exhaling into that space.

Again: If you get into an elevator right now without a mask, you are either really ignorant or you are a jerk. Even if you are really confident that you are not infected and not a threat to transmit, other people don't know that. You're being an asshole. Or, again, you're really ignorant.
Could I ever be a star?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:46 pm

I don't know about the Black Lives matter thing. Also, if he was in the elevator first, they should have just waited until the elevator came back without him in it. But he's a jerk for being in an elevator without a mask.

The women are likely not masks police. They likely are people trying to protect themselves during the current surge and understand that the primary purpose of a mask is to prevent other people...including other people who are not showing symptoms but are infectious...from infecting others. They are in an enclosed, relatively low ventilation space and someone who is not wearing a mask to restrict whatever he is exhaling into that space.

Again: If you get into an elevator right now without a mask, you are either really ignorant or you are a jerk. Even if you are really confident that you are not infected and not a threat to transmit, other people don't know that. You're being an asshole. Or, again, you're really ignorant.
She
-Got into the elevator with the guy who was ALREADY there.
-Got into the guy’s personal space, FACING him, while YELLING at him, which is WORSE than than no mask at all, and standing there quietly not not directly facing him.
-AND at one point the woman pulled down her mask to yell at the guy.

So CLEARLY she isn’t trying to protect herself or others. She is just a mask covidian, Faucite Karen like you apparently are. The assholes in this case are the 2 women.

And I’ll continue to go maskless indoors, including elevators, unless I was in a place (rarely am) that mandated them indoors (and even them I might not be wearing one).
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ireland dropped most COVID restrictions last Saturday:
https://www.reuters.com/business/health ... 022-01-21/