NDSU is who we thought they were, after playing a creampuff schedule so far the Bizon beat a good-looking Montana team. Looks like the Valley title still goes through Fargo. We Also learned the MVFC >Bigsky, and that EWU doesn’t need to play defense, question is when they run into a team that DOES, what happens? We also learned boys and girls moving to the sun belt yes it gets you 20 extra scholarships, but you have to play on Thursday to be on National TV. This week we will learn about JMU and Deleware, WIU and SIU, UND and Montana State-especially if they can rebound from the heartbreaker against EWU. Have a good weekend
Tag Archives | Appalachian State
Rob Weiss, FCS Update
What a great time to be a FCS football fan, eh?
We’re down to one final week to decide all 16 playoff spots.
Here’s a breakdown of last weekends action, as well as a look at the week ahead.
1. - Montana wrapped up the Big Sky autobid with a 38-10 win over Northern Colorado. But that doesn’t mean they’ll be coasting this week. The Griz head to Bozeman to take on in-state rival Montana State. A win should lock up a top 2 seed for the Griz.
2.- Will the Big Sky get 2 teams in? There is a fight for a possible 2nd Big Sky bid into the playoffs Montana State, Weber State, and Eastern Washington are all 5-2 in Big Sky play. Montana State beat Weber State. Weber State beat Eastern Washington, and Eastern Washington beat Montana State.
Montana State and Eastern Washington can each get to 8 wins this weekend, but all three teams can only reach 7 D-I wins. Most prognosticators lean towards Eastern Washington, but realistically any of the three could end up in the field with a win.
3.- Liberty wraps up share of the Big South autobid. Liberty can move their record to 9-2 this weekend and also win the Big South outright with a win over Stony Brook. Will it be enough to get them an at-large bid?
4.- The CAA should end up with 4 playoff bids. Delaware and Massachusetts were for all purposes eliminated this weekend. That leaves Villanova, Richmond, William and Mary, and New Hampshire.
5.- South Carolina State wrapped up the MEAC this weekend with a 37-13 win over Morgan State. By far the best team in the MEAC, but how will they compare to other playoff teams? Florida A&M removed themselves from at-large consideration when they were shut out by Hampton 25-0.
6.- In the MVFC, South Dakota State was in a close game with FBS Minnesota, but fell short, 16-13. The loss moved SDSU to 7-3 on the season. A win over Western Illinois this weekend would put the Jacks in the playoffs.
7.- Southern Illinois wrapped up the 2009 MVFC title on Saturday with a 44-24 win over Missouri State. A win over Southeast Missouri State this weekend should wrap up a top 2 seed for the Salukis.
8.- Northern Iowa kept it’s playoff hopes alive with a 34-0 win over Western Illinois. The Panthers head to Illinois State this weekend with their playoff chances on the line. A loss would eliminate the Panthers from contention.
9.- Eastern Illinois wrapped up the OVC autobid this past weekend with a 49-13 win over Tennessee-Martin. The Panthers can win the OVC outright with a win over Tennessee State on Saturday.
10.- Holy Cross secured the Patriot League’s autobid with a win over Lafayette in a 28-26 shootout. Lafayette may be an outside bubble team come Sunday.
11.- Appalachian State shut down Elon on Saturday, 27-10. The Mountaineers secured the SoCon autobid with the win. Elon fell to 8-2 and will be in the playoffs with a win this weekend over Samford. A loss would put the Phoenix on the bubble.
12.- The Southland race comes down to the final weekend. Stephen F Austin and McNeese State are deadlocked in the standings, with SFA winning the head to head matchup. Both teams will be in the playoffs with a win this weekend. A loss jumbles the situation. Especially if both teams were to lose, in which case Texas State and Southeast Louisiana could come into play.
Rob Weiss, FCS Update
1. Richmond Spiders at Maine Black Bears
My Prediction: Richmond 38 Maine 17
Reality: Richmond 38 Maine 21
Pretty close on this prediction. Richmond didn’t show up for the first half but put the Black Bears away in the second half. No one has had an easy time in Orono this season.
2. Northern Iowa Panthers vs. 5. Southern Illinois Salukis
My Prediction: Northern Iowa 38 Southern Illinois 35
Reality: Southern Illinois 27 Northern Iowa 20
Not the offensive shootout I was predicting. This was a typical game in this series, other than the fact that the visiting team won for the first time in 13 games. The Southern Illinois offense was clicking for most of the game and had great special teams. The Panther defense held their own (1 TD was an INT return, and another was after a special teams fumble on the UNI 7). I look for both of these teams to make the quarterfinals this year.
3. New Hampshire Wildcats at 20. Massachusetts Minutemen
My Prediction: New Hampshire 27 Massachusetts 21
Reality: Massachusetts23 New Hampshire 17
What a crazy game?! New Hampshire drove in the last minute to the UMass 13, but couldn’t score. I expected this game to be close, but not come down to the last play. UMass is fighting their way back into playoff contention. 5 CAA teams looks like a lock at this point. 6 might be a possibility.
4. Montana Grizzlies vs. 21. Eastern Washington Eagles
My Prediction: Montana 35 Eastern Washington 28
Reality: Montana 41 Eastern Washington 34
Not too far off on this one. Montana pulls off the 7 pt win. Montana faces Weber State on Halloween. Should be a shootout.
5. Southern Illinois Salukis at 2. Northern Iowa Panthers
see 2. Northern Iowa Panthers
6. Villanova Wildcats at 19. James Madison Dukes
My Prediction: James Madison 24 Villanova 20
Reality: Villanova 27 James Madison 0
Way off on this one. Apparently James Madison forgot they had a game today. Very suprising with the way they’ve played everyone else this season. Good bounce back for Villanova.
7. William & Mary Tribe BYE
8. Elon Phoenix BYE
9. Central Arkansas Bears vs. 16. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
My Prediction: Central Arkansas 34 Stephen F. Austin 31
Reality: Stephen F. Austin 33 Central Arkansas 30
Close game as predicted, different winner. Stephen F Austin puts themselves in the driver’s seat for the SLC autobid.
10. Appalachian State Mountaineers at Wofford Terriers
My Prediction: Appalachian State 35 Wofford 10
Reality: Appalachian State 44 Wofford 34
Much closer game than predicted. App St stays undefeated in SoCon play.
11. South Dakota State Jackrabbits vs. North Dakota State Bison
My Prediction: South Dakota State 35 North Dakota State 17
Reality: South Dakota State 28 North Dakota State 13
North Dakota State continues their slide. Jackrabbits face Northern Iowa in a game that could end the playoff hopes of the loser.
12. Jacksonville State Gamecocks BYE
13. South Carolina State Bulldogs vs. 22. Florida A&M Rattlers
My Prediction: South Carolina State 24 Florida A&M 14
Reality: South Carolina State 35 Florida A&M 20
Bulldogs are on their way to the playoffs. No one else should stand in their way.
14. Weber State Wildcats vs Sacremento State Hornets
My Prediction: Weber State 24 Sacremento State 14
Reality: Weber State 49 Sacremento State 10
The Wildcats win by a much larger margin that I predicted. Montana game is looming large in two weeks. Loss to Montana State could haunt them.
15. McNeese State Cowboys vs. Northwestern State Demons
My Prediction: McNeese 38 Northwestern State 7
Reality: McNeese 51 Northwestern State 23
Much higher scoring than I figured. McNeese stays in the playoff hunt.
16. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks at 9. Central Arkansas Bears
see 9. Central Arkansas Bears
17. Cal Poly Mustangs
My Prediction: Southern Utah 24 Cal Poly 21
Reality: Cal Poly 24 Southern Utah 23
Great game, came down to the wire. Cal Poly stays on top of the Great West.
18. Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens at Towson Tigers
My Prediction: Delaware 35 Towson 13
Reality: Delaware 49 Towson 21
Delaware is really clicking now. Fighting for the 5th CAA bid.
19. James Madison Dukes vs. 6. Villanova Wildcats
See 6. Villanova Wildcats
20. Massachusetts Minutemen vs. 3. New Hampshire Wildcats
See 3. New Hampshire Wildcats
21. Eastern Washington Eagles at 4. Montana Grizzlies
See 4. Montana Grizzlies
22. Florida A&M Rattlers at 13. South Carolina State Bulldogs
See 13. South Carolina State Bulldogs
23. Colgate Raiders vs. Georgetown
My Prediction: Colgate 28 Georgetown 3
Reality: Colgate 31 Georgetown 14
A little bit closer than I thought. Same result.
24. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks at Portland State Vikings
My Prediction: Northern Arizona 38 Portland State 14
Reality: Northern Arizona 44 Portland State 23
The Lumberjacks are in the hunt for a playoff bid. 2nd place in the Big Sky should get them there.
25. Furman Paladins vs. Samford Bulldogs
My Prediction: Samford 24 Furman 17
Reality: Furman 26 Samford 24
Furman keeps their playoff hopes alive.
My record this week: 10-6
On the season: 23-10
Rob Weiss, FCS Update:
In early Top 25 games:
Looks like I’m going to be under on No. 22 Holy Cross. I predicted a 35-7 win, but going into halftime they already have a 35-7 lead.
So far I’m WAY off on No. 10 Appalachian State against The Citadel, who is unranked. I picked the Mountaineers to win 42-24, but at the half they are down 13-7.
Rob Weiss, FCS Update: The 2009 season is off to a great start. The debate over who is the best team in the country is heating up more and more each week. Between the 3 major polls (AGS, Coaches, and TSN) there are 6 different teams with first place votes. While Richmond is the consensus […]
2013 CS Top 25 Poll
Week 11 | 11/11/2013 (Points)
1. North Dakota State Bison (300)
2. Eastern Washington Eagles (278)
3. Eastern Illinois Panthers (273)
4. Maine Black Bears (266)
5. Sam Houston State Bearkats (251)
6. Fordham Rams (247)
7. Southeastern Louisiana Lions (216)
8. Montana Grizzlies (208)
9. McNeese Cowboys (195)
10. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks (172)
11. Montana State Bobcats (169)
12. Charleston Southern Buccaneers (154)
13. William and Mary Tribe (148)
14. Youngstown State Penguins (143)
15. Towson Tigers (138)
16. Chattanooga Mocs (129)
17. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (116)
18. Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens (78)
19. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats (71)
20. Jacksonville State Gamecocks (65)
21. Princeton Tigers (54)
22. South Dakota State Jackrabbits (48)
23. Tennessee State Tigers (44)
24. Southern Utah Thunderbirds (33)
25. Lehigh Mountain Hawks (29)
Next 10 receiving votes:
26. New Hampshire Wildcats (10), 27. Samford Bulldogs (5), 28. Jackson State Tigers (4), 29. Harvard Crimson (3), 30. South Carolina State Bulldogs (2), 31. Wofford Terriers (1), 32. James Madison Dukes (1).
2013 TSN Top 25 Poll
Week 11 |11/11/2013 | (1st place votes)
1. North Dakota State Bison (156)
2. Eastern Illinois Panthers
3. Eastern Washington Eagles
4. Sam Houston State Bearkats
5. Fordham Rams
6. Maine Black Bears
7. Montana Grizzlies
8. Montana State Bobcats
9. McNeese State Cowboys
10. Towson Tigers
11. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers
12. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
13. Charleston Southern Buccaneers
14. Southeastern Louisiana Lions
15. Youngstown State Penguins
16. William & Mary Tribe
17. Chattanooga Mocs
18. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats
19. South Dakota State Jackrabbits
20. Lehigh Mountain Hawks
21. Delaware Blue Hens
22. Jacksonville State Gamecocks
23. New Hampshire Wildcats
24. Wofford Terriers
25. Princeton Tigers
Others receiving votes (points):
Samford 180, Tennessee State 142, James Madison 140, Southern Utah 133, Villanova 93, South Carolina State 75, Harvard 52, Northern Iowa 35, Central Arkansas 25, Jackson State 20, Eastern Kentucky 19, Georgia Southern 18, Furman 15, Cal Poly 14, Illinois State 14, Sacred Heart 10, Missouri State 7, UT Martin 6, Liberty 4, Southern Illinois 3, Jacksonville 2, San Diego 1, Florida A&M 1, Alcorn State 1.
2013 Coaches Top 25 Poll
Week 11 | 11/11/2013 | (1st place votes)
1. North Dakota State (26) 9-0
2. Eastern Illinois 9-1
3. Eastern Washington 8-2
4. Sam Houston State 8-2
5. Fordham 10-0
6. Maine 9-1
7. Towson 8-2
8. Montana 8-2
9. Coastal Carolina 9-1
10. Montana State 7-3
11. McNeese State 8-2
12. Charleston Southern 10-1
13. Northern Arizona 7-2
14. Southeastern Louisiana 8-2
15. Youngstown State 8-2
16. Bethune-Cookman 8-2
17. Lehigh 7-2
18. Chattanooga 8-2
19. South Dakota State 6-4
20. William & Mary 7-3
21. Wofford 5-4
22. Delaware 7-3
23. Jacksonville State 8-2
24. Princeton 7-1
25. James Madison 6-4
Others receiving votes:
New Hampshire 52, Harvard 26, Samford 24, Tennessee State 19, Southern Utah 16, Jackson State 11, Cal Poly 7, South Carolina State 4, Sacred Heart 4, Central Arkansas 2.