Military and Marijuana

Political discussions
User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 22809
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Liberal Lakes

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby Gil Dobie » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:55 am

kalm wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
No, I think they would be in the same area as bars.


That was my original point.


You will still get the rogue neighborhood gatherings.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 49572
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby AZGrizFan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:56 am

Healthcare cost.

/thread
"Ah ****. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 31720
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: Fisher of Men

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby 89Hen » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:24 am

kalm wrote:Do you think the usage of herioin has to up once it’s legalized.

I'm pretty sure the use of heroin would go up if legal, but I can't really speak to herioin.
Image

User avatar
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 40654
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: klam
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby kalm » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:05 am

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:Do you think the usage of herioin has to up once it’s legalized.

I'm pretty sure the use of heroin would go up if legal, but I can't really speak to herioin.


It’s french, bitch. :evil:
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 49601
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby Ibanez » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:01 pm

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:Do you think the usage of herioin has to up once it’s legalized.

I'm pretty sure the use of heroin would go up if legal, but I can't really speak to herioin.

sounds sexy
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 14794
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby BDKJMU » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:17 pm

CID1990 wrote:
89Hen wrote:Should all drugs be legal?


I personally think so.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But what would you do with prescription drugs? Make them all OTC? What about pharmacists and doctors’ prescriptions?

User avatar
Winterborn
Level2
Level2
Posts: 1243
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 2:33 pm
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups
Location: Wherever I hang my hat

Re: RE: Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby Winterborn » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:23 pm

AZGrizFan wrote:Healthcare cost.

/thread
This. I am against the legalization due to the social costs that will come from it, not because of the drugs themselves. Present a plan to put the cost of the healthcare issues stemming from using drugs on the user, not society in general, and I would be for it.

It doesn't bother me if a person wants to stay high all the time and live their life that way, just don't expect me to pay for your poor choices in life.

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 19638
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby CID1990 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:34 pm

BDKJMU wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
I personally think so.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But what would you do with prescription drugs? Make them all OTC? What about pharmacists and doctors’ prescriptions?


Yes. They all become OTC.

I have lived in two countries where only a very select few drugs require prescriptions.

Those countries have problems of their own but runaway drug abuse isn’t higher than the US.

I’m only in favor of controlling drugs which, if abused, can cause ill effects for all of us. An example would be antibiotics designed to defeat increasingly resistant bugs

But outside of that, if someone wants to go load up on painkillers... knock yourself out. Literally


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 51285
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:03 pm
Location: Slower Delaware

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby 93henfan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:54 pm

phpBB [video]

User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 31720
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: Fisher of Men

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby 89Hen » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:50 am

CID1990 wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:But what would you do with prescription drugs? Make them all OTC? What about pharmacists and doctors’ prescriptions?


Yes. They all become OTC.

I have lived in two countries where only a very select few drugs require prescriptions.

Those countries have problems of their own but runaway drug abuse isn’t higher than the US.

I’m only in favor of controlling drugs which, if abused, can cause ill effects for all of us. An example would be antibiotics designed to defeat increasingly resistant bugs

But outside of that, if someone wants to go load up on painkillers... knock yourself out. Literally

I can only assume you are for thinning the herd.
Image

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 16829
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Don't call it Seattle...

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby Chizzang » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:32 am

89Hen wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Yes. They all become OTC.

I have lived in two countries where only a very select few drugs require prescriptions.

Those countries have problems of their own but runaway drug abuse isn’t higher than the US.

I’m only in favor of controlling drugs which, if abused, can cause ill effects for all of us. An example would be antibiotics designed to defeat increasingly resistant bugs

But outside of that, if someone wants to go load up on painkillers... knock yourself out. Literally

I can only assume you are for thinning the herd.


Nanny State or Herd Thinning
Pick a thing - you've got two choices

:lol:
How would you define a Republican?
"Somebody comfortable betting that science is wrong and oil companies are right..."

User avatar
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
Posts: 14623
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:26 am
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: **** Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:33 am

Legalization of all drugs will never happen because our government is running the whole show. US government needs people on drugs to keep the $$$$ money coming in.

If possible, the CIA is even more corrupt than the FBI and possibly congress
Image

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe

User avatar
Winterborn
Level2
Level2
Posts: 1243
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 2:33 pm
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups
Location: Wherever I hang my hat

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby Winterborn » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:43 am

Chizzang wrote:
89Hen wrote:I can only assume you are for thinning the herd.


Nanny State or Herd Thinning
Pick a thing - you've got two choices

:lol:


Succinctly put. :nod:

I like the herd thinning choice. Even if I am the one being thinned.

At least it is my choices that lead up to me being culled. :D

User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 31720
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: Fisher of Men

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby 89Hen » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:24 pm

Winterborn wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Nanny State or Herd Thinning
Pick a thing - you've got two choices

:lol:


Succinctly put. :nod:

I like the herd thinning choice. Even if I am the one being thinned.

At least it is my choices that lead up to me being culled. :D

There are many things to consider. Prescription drugs in the wrong dosage or combination can be extremely harmful if not fatal. I get saying that if somebody wants to zone out on Percoset (sp?) that's there business, but what about a person that doesn't know that taking Fluoxetine and Phenelzine can be fatal? Oh well? With all the drug commercials out there, half the country is convinced they have plaque psoriasis with restless leg syndrome.
Image

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 16829
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Don't call it Seattle...

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby Chizzang » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:17 pm

89Hen wrote:
Winterborn wrote:
Succinctly put. :nod:

I like the herd thinning choice. Even if I am the one being thinned.

At least it is my choices that lead up to me being culled. :D

There are many things to consider. Prescription drugs in the wrong dosage or combination can be extremely harmful if not fatal. I get saying that if somebody wants to zone out on Percoset (sp?) that's there business, but what about a person that doesn't know that taking Fluoxetine and Phenelzine can be fatal? Oh well? With all the drug commercials out there, half the country is convinced they have plaque psoriasis with restless leg syndrome.


I'm having a difficult time sussing out your point..?

:geek:

any prescription drug will print out clearly if it's the kind that cannot be mixed
beyond that advice of "do not mix" ... what's the point ?
How would you define a Republican?
"Somebody comfortable betting that science is wrong and oil companies are right..."

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 19638
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby CID1990 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:43 pm

89Hen wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Yes. They all become OTC.

I have lived in two countries where only a very select few drugs require prescriptions.

Those countries have problems of their own but runaway drug abuse isn’t higher than the US.

I’m only in favor of controlling drugs which, if abused, can cause ill effects for all of us. An example would be antibiotics designed to defeat increasingly resistant bugs

But outside of that, if someone wants to go load up on painkillers... knock yourself out. Literally

I can only assume you are for thinning the herd.


Well, yeah!

But that’s a different thread

- there are plenty of warnings on these drugs. I don’t really want to share space with people who:

use the kiddy floaty as a life preserver

eat dessicant pouches

chug fresh coffee at McDonalds

mix or misuse drugs



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

houndawg
Level5
Level5
Posts: 16317
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:14 pm
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg
Location: Egypt

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby houndawg » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:52 am

Col Hogan wrote:Marijuana is causing more problems in the military today than ever...no, use of pot is not up, up a complete set of unique issues has popped up...

Marijuana use is still illegal in the military, because marijuana is still illegal on the federal level. But more and more states are legalizing or decriminalizing its use...

So, the military has stepped up anti-drug briefings and testing...telling the young troops that just because their state has legalized or decriminalized pot, it’s still illegal for a military member to use cannabis...

I recently had a talk with an Army Command Sgt Major...he said after the Christmas mass leaves at his base, they will drug test everybody from the lowest Private up to the Commander because of marijuana...

And now, Pot Stocks are starting to cause serious concerns for people with security clearances...there is a growing debate among various factions that simply owning pot stocks can be a reason for someone losing their security clearance...

Someone deep in the Defense Department has offered clarification that if you own stock in a “marijuana company” you could jeopardize your security clearance. The idea has ignited quite a debate.

This clarification concerns the DoD Consolidated Adjudications Facility. You won’t find it at the DODCAF web site but as Federal News Network’s Scott Maucione reported, it came from an email cut and pasted into a Facebook page for Air Force officers. But the approach to clearance and stocks was confirmed by a Defense spokeswoman, Army Lt. Col. Audricia Harris, who vigorously quashed the idea that any new policy has come out.


https://federalnewsnetwork.com/tom-temi ... ks-debate/

In this commentary, the writer goes through the various positions, which range from those who say there is no written policy specifically banning military members from owning pot stocks...to those who feel current policy is enough to threaten getting or keeping a security clearance...

A reader commented on our story, pointing out that the relevant policy found in DoD Manual 5200.02 states that illegal or inappropriate involvement in drugs is out of bounds. With respect to personal use of illegal drugs, Section 7B.2 of the April 2017 revision is clear: “… agencies are prohibited from granting or renewing a security clearance to an unlawful user of a controlled substance, which includes marijuana. Legislative changes by some states and the District of Columbia do not alter federal law or existing national security guidelines.”

Fair enough. That’s the policy, and people decide at some point whether they’ll be law abiding or not, or how badly they want a security clearance.

But just above that, section 7B.1 states, as the reader noted, “Improper or illegal involvement with drugs raises questions regarding an individual’s willingness or ability to protect classified information.”

Illegal involvement strikes me as something people could reasonably agree on. If you import, manufacture, distribute, or sell, for example, like the badasses on “Breaking Bad.”

But what is “improper involvement?” For that matter, what does “raising questions” mean? Extend that to stock ownership in legal enterprises, and the latest interpretation, in my view, becomes so distantly derived from 5200.02 as to be indefensible.


One last interesting questions...if marijuana is legalized on the federal level...how will the military handle it?




Discuss.


Not new or unique - In the late 70s weed was legal in Alaska, not decriminalized, legal. Everybody at Ft. Wainwright knew they were subject to the UCMJ. In the city limits of Fairbanks bars wouldn't allow smoking weed because customers don't drink as much when they're puffing. Outside the city limits at the Howling Dog the air was filled it. Open 24/7 in the summer with a pig always roasting and a bluegrass band playing, you had to use your watch to see what day it was because of the constant daylight.
Subvert the dominant paradigm

User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 31720
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: Fisher of Men

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby 89Hen » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:10 am

Chizzang wrote:
89Hen wrote:There are many things to consider. Prescription drugs in the wrong dosage or combination can be extremely harmful if not fatal. I get saying that if somebody wants to zone out on Percoset (sp?) that's there business, but what about a person that doesn't know that taking Fluoxetine and Phenelzine can be fatal? Oh well? With all the drug commercials out there, half the country is convinced they have plaque psoriasis with restless leg syndrome.


I'm having a difficult time sussing out your point..?

:geek:

any prescription drug will print out clearly if it's the kind that cannot be mixed
beyond that advice of "do not mix" ... what's the point ?

Oh, warning labels work. Gotcha. :roll:
Image

User avatar
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 35781
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:01 pm
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ
Location: BSC

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby Grizalltheway » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:03 am

houndawg wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:Marijuana is causing more problems in the military today than ever...no, use of pot is not up, up a complete set of unique issues has popped up...

Marijuana use is still illegal in the military, because marijuana is still illegal on the federal level. But more and more states are legalizing or decriminalizing its use...

So, the military has stepped up anti-drug briefings and testing...telling the young troops that just because their state has legalized or decriminalized pot, it’s still illegal for a military member to use cannabis...

I recently had a talk with an Army Command Sgt Major...he said after the Christmas mass leaves at his base, they will drug test everybody from the lowest Private up to the Commander because of marijuana...

And now, Pot Stocks are starting to cause serious concerns for people with security clearances...there is a growing debate among various factions that simply owning pot stocks can be a reason for someone losing their security clearance...



https://federalnewsnetwork.com/tom-temi ... ks-debate/

In this commentary, the writer goes through the various positions, which range from those who say there is no written policy specifically banning military members from owning pot stocks...to those who feel current policy is enough to threaten getting or keeping a security clearance...



One last interesting questions...if marijuana is legalized on the federal level...how will the military handle it?




Discuss.


Not new or unique - In the late 70s weed was legal in Alaska, not decriminalized, legal. Everybody at Ft. Wainwright knew they were subject to the UCMJ. In the city limits of Fairbanks bars wouldn't allow smoking weed because customers don't drink as much when they're puffing. Outside the city limits at the Howling Dog the air was filled it. Open 24/7 in the summer with a pig always roasting and a bluegrass band playing, you had to use your watch to see what day it was because of the constant daylight.

I bet there weren't many fights either. :nod:

houndawg
Level5
Level5
Posts: 16317
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:14 pm
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg
Location: Egypt

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby houndawg » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:00 pm

Grizalltheway wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Not new or unique - In the late 70s weed was legal in Alaska, not decriminalized, legal. Everybody at Ft. Wainwright knew they were subject to the UCMJ. In the city limits of Fairbanks bars wouldn't allow smoking weed because customers don't drink as much when they're puffing. Outside the city limits at the Howling Dog the air was filled it. Open 24/7 in the summer with a pig always roasting and a bluegrass band playing, you had to use your watch to see what day it was because of the constant daylight.

I bet there weren't many fights either. :nod:


No, there weren't. The first thing upon entering was a sign reading: Check Guns and Knives at Bar.


Friendliest place you ever saw. :thumb:
Subvert the dominant paradigm

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 19638
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby CID1990 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:33 pm

houndawg wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:I bet there weren't many fights either. :nod:


No, there weren't. The first thing upon entering was a sign reading: Check Guns and Knives at Bar.


Friendliest place you ever saw. :thumb:


Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 49572
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: RE: Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby AZGrizFan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:02 pm

Winterborn wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:Healthcare cost.

/thread
This. I am against the legalization due to the social costs that will come from it, not because of the drugs themselves. Present a plan to put the cost of the healthcare issues stemming from using drugs on the user, not society in general, and I would be for it.

It doesn't bother me if a person wants to stay high all the time and live their life that way, just don't expect me to pay for your poor choices in life.


Exactly.
"Ah ****. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 49572
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby AZGrizFan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:04 pm

89Hen wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
I'm having a difficult time sussing out your point..?

:geek:

any prescription drug will print out clearly if it's the kind that cannot be mixed
beyond that advice of "do not mix" ... what's the point ?

Oh, warning labels work. Gotcha. :roll:


I say, “oh well”.
"Ah ****. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

User avatar
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 11210
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:29 am
I am a fan of: William & Mary
Location: Republic of Texas

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby Col Hogan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:07 pm

houndawg wrote:Not new or unique - In the late 70s weed was legal in Alaska, not decriminalized, legal. Everybody at Ft. Wainwright knew they were subject to the UCMJ. In the city limits of Fairbanks bars wouldn't allow smoking weed because customers don't drink as much when they're puffing. Outside the city limits at the Howling Dog the air was filled it. Open 24/7 in the summer with a pig always roasting and a bluegrass band playing, you had to use your watch to see what day it was because of the constant daylight.


And that was before there was an effective drug test for THC...I know, I spent the mid-70’s in Spain where Lebanese hash was prevalent....

But that’s another story...

:coffee:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

houndawg
Level5
Level5
Posts: 16317
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:14 pm
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg
Location: Egypt

Re: Military and Marijuana

Postby houndawg » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:38 am

Col Hogan wrote:
houndawg wrote:Not new or unique - In the late 70s weed was legal in Alaska, not decriminalized, legal. Everybody at Ft. Wainwright knew they were subject to the UCMJ. In the city limits of Fairbanks bars wouldn't allow smoking weed because customers don't drink as much when they're puffing. Outside the city limits at the Howling Dog the air was filled it. Open 24/7 in the summer with a pig always roasting and a bluegrass band playing, you had to use your watch to see what day it was because of the constant daylight.


And that was before there was an effective drug test for THC...I know, I spent the mid-70’s in Spain where Lebanese hash was prevalent....

But that’s another story...

:coffee:


:lol:

Ibiza, early '75.. :mrgreen:
Subvert the dominant paradigm


Return to “Politics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mainejeff, Pwns and 57 guests