Robins Stadium (Richmond) nears completion

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Bostonspider
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Richmond

Robins Stadium (Richmond) nears completion

Post by Bostonspider »

Latest pictures from University of Richmond's Robins Stadium, which is almost complete. Everyone is so excited to finally have football back on campus after over 80 seasons downtown.

So while the new stadium might be small, and might still have a track left over from the soccer / track & field facilty that was previously on the site, we Spiders are so happy to have a chance to see our team at "home" and be out of that decrepit dump called City Stadium.

Finally the new video score board

Observer2
I am a fan of: UD

Re: Robins Stadium (Richmond) nears completion

Post by Observer2 »

It looks great, congrats! Looking forward to visiting in September.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Nah, the place looks great. Nevermind the size, plus you can pack a lot of standing room in there if you need to. Just the fact that it's back on campus is great. Plus Richmond's always had one of the more beautiful campuses and this ties in with it nicely. Should be a great place to play and a big homefield advantage for Richmond. Well done.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Monarchs, Gators, Huskies

Post by ODUalum11 »

looks great. whats the capacity again?
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

Wonder if the sightlines will be any better than UR's old stadium, and by the way they sucked there. Looks like the seats aren't that high up & with the track, they're pushed back.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

bluehenbillk wrote:Wonder if the sightlines will be any better than UR's old stadium, and by the way they sucked there. Looks like the seats aren't that high up & with the track, they're pushed back.
Don't get me wrong Robins Stadium looks like a great new facility but I've never like the look with the track around the stadium. I know most schools A) can't afford to have two seperate facilities for both track and field and for football or B) simply space but I just never liked the look. ODU actually had a track around their field if I remember correctly but now its just pavement.
Bostonspider
Level1
Level1

Post by Bostonspider »

Stadium will seat a little under 9,000. From what I have heard, the seats actually start high enough up, that visibility over the team should not be much of a problem. Looking at this older construction photo, it looks to be a good 8 to 10 feet from the field level to the start of the stands.

andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Bostonspider wrote:Stadium will seat a little under 9,000. From what I have heard, the seats actually start high enough up, that visibility over the team should not be much of a problem. Looking at this older construction photo, it looks to be a good 8 to 10 feet from the field level to the start of the stands.

Towson has a track and the seating is 5 feet up, no problems seeing over the team in the front row.

I don't understand why the front section only has 4-6 rows and then a big wall to the preferred chair back seats in that picture. I've never fully grasped what that is all about.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Bostonspider
Level1
Level1

Post by Bostonspider »

I am not sure either Andy. It looks like the stadium was designed with the idea that you could eventually take the track out, lower the field and continue down the lower stands, evening them out, and extending the new lower lever all the way around the field. I did a quick sketch of what I hope it might someday look like (with about 15,000 seats and a new added football building next to the Robins Center above the South Endzone)

bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

Nice sketch, you'd kick my ass in Art class.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
mcveyrl
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: mcveyrl

Post by mcveyrl »

bluehenbillk wrote:Nice sketch, you'd kick my ass in Art class.

Yea, I thought it was a professional "mock up" when I first saw it.

The stadium looks great. Is it possible that I will try to go to the UR road game as much as I try to go to the W&M road game??? :shock: :shock: You can't beat a great looking campus with on-campus football!
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Bostonspider wrote:I am not sure either Andy. It looks like the stadium was designed with the idea that you could eventually take the track out, lower the field and continue down the lower stands, evening them out, and extending the new lower lever all the way around the field. I did a quick sketch of what I hope it might someday look like (with about 15,000 seats and a new added football building next to the Robins Center above the South Endzone)

Lowering the field would explain that 4-6 rows. Thanks. It just looks strange until then. The whoel place looks awesome. I remember visiting there back in '88. I really wanted to go there. Your campus is incredible. :thumb:
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Bostonspider
Level1
Level1

Post by Bostonspider »

A few more pictures, including the completed score board

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

A picturesque, intimate facility. Quite an improvement over that thing you used to play in. I might make the trip this year.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Keenan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Liberty University

Post by Keenan »

Beautiful and long overdue stadium Richmond! :thumb:
TigerStripe
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Clemson

Post by TigerStripe »

That's nice.
Pigskin Steve
I am a fan of: Football

Post by Pigskin Steve »

Beautiful new stadium....congratulations U of Richmond !
Really like those spider web metal back fences on the upper deck. Nice touch. Classy.
It's going to be wonderful to have your football stadium on campus. App State thought about building a huge stadium off campus several years ago, but quickly nixed that idea. Should get those Spider fans even more into the emotion of the day.
JConnolly
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Elon Phoenix

Post by JConnolly »

I can't wait to see it in person when I head up for the Elon game.
EU, You Know
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

andy7171 wrote: I don't understand why the front section only has 4-6 rows and then a big wall to the preferred chair back seats in that picture. I've never fully grasped what that is all about.
Future expansion plans could be the reason, but my guess is that those first few rows are for students. Students like to stand so having the section lowered in front of the chair back section will allow the ticket purchasers a view while remained seated. Basketball venues are being designed this way now also (JPJ Arena at UVA). Call it the "Duke" model since Cameron Indoor Stadium is designed that way. It allows students to sit around and closer to the field/court and produces a better game atmosphere. I think it is a smart move.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

futureodualum11 wrote:
bluehenbillk wrote:Wonder if the sightlines will be any better than UR's old stadium, and by the way they sucked there. Looks like the seats aren't that high up & with the track, they're pushed back.
Don't get me wrong Robins Stadium looks like a great new facility but I've never like the look with the track around the stadium. I know most schools A) can't afford to have two seperate facilities for both track and field and for football or B) simply space but I just never liked the look. ODU actually had a track around their field if I remember correctly but now its just pavement.
Yes. It was only a few lanes though. Maybe 4-6 or so at most. The oddity was that it ran UNDER the endzone stands also.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

It looks amazing.

If the team can't fill a 25K seat stadium no need to build it. The nicest 25K stadium would look like shit if it was empty. This place looks GREAT and with it full it will be one of the nicest places to play in FCS.
Bostonspider
Level1
Level1

Post by Bostonspider »

CAA Flagship wrote: Don't get me wrong Robins Stadium looks like a great new facility but I've never like the look with the track around the stadium. I know most schools A) can't afford to have two seperate facilities for both track and field and for football or B) simply space but I just never liked the look. ODU actually had a track around their field if I remember correctly but now its just pavement.
Yes. It was only a few lanes though. Maybe 4-6 or so at most. The oddity was that it ran UNDER the endzone stands also.[/quote]

It did look like a very skinny track...

ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

Bostonspider wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Don't get me wrong Robins Stadium looks like a great new facility but I've never like the look with the track around the stadium. I know most schools A) can't afford to have two seperate facilities for both track and field and for football or B) simply space but I just never liked the look. ODU actually had a track around their field if I remember correctly but now its just pavement.
Yes. It was only a few lanes though. Maybe 4-6 or so at most. The oddity was that it ran UNDER the endzone stands also.
It did look like a very skinny track...

Image[/quote]

Yeah, it was definitely 4 lanes at the most. I've walked down what used to be the track and its pretty skinny. That actually must be an old picture as well because I never remember Foreman having endzone bleachers on both ends.

Also, was Robins stadium designed to be added on in the future? I apologize if this has already been discussed but the design looks a little bit odd, but otherwise a fantastic facility. :thumb: :nod:
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

"No, we're not the largest facility in America, but I'll tell you what, I challenge anybody to find a better facility for FCS football in the country," UR Athletic Director Jim Miller said.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/co ... ar-159986/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

futureodualum11 wrote:"No, we're not the largest facility in America, but I'll tell you what, I challenge anybody to find a better facility for FCS football in the country," UR Athletic Director Jim Miller said.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/co ... ar-159986/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Uh, let's not get carried away there Jim. :lol:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-