Friday Semi - Sam Houston @ NDSU

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Friday Semi - Sam Houston @ NDSU

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

I've picked against Sam Houston each week in the playoffs & I've been wrong every time. Nevertheless, I'm going to do it again. NDSU's run defense has been relatively suspect of late and that could be a problem against a team like the Bearkats, but the weakness of SHSU's own run defense raises skepticism about their upset chances. Add in the Bison's much superior turnover margin & it makes an orange revenge surge unlikely.

Here's my assessment of the matchups & my pick for the game:

• Quarterbacks -- North Dakota St.

Running Backs - North Dakota St.

Receivers/TEs - Sam Houston St.

Offensive Line - North Dakota St.

Defensive Line - North Dakota St.

Linebackers --- North Dakota St.

Secondary ---- North Dakota St.

Kicking ------ North Dakota St.

Punting ------ Sam Houston St.

Return Teams - North Dakota St.

Kickoffs ------ (push)

• Sam Houston St. 20-30 North Dakota St.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Friday Semi - Sam Houston @ NDSU

Post by Gil Dobie »

Since LB Travis Beck went out for the season, the Bison defense has given up 24 and 25 points in back to back games. I see Sam scoring 26, and if the Bison offense is clicking against Sam's defense, the score might be 37-26.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote:Since LB Travis Beck went out for the season, the Bison defense has given up 24 and 25 points in back to back games. I see Sam scoring 26, and if the Bison offense is clicking against Sam's defense, the score might be 37-26.
Then Emanuel and everyone else must step their game if they are to make it 4 in a row.Neither team has a decent passing attack to speak of SHSU barely averages 200 plus yds a game and NDSU brings back thoughts of Nebraska in the 70s when it comes to throwing the ball.A surprise bomb might win it for either team.Neither team has a top flight WR to make the national list for receptions&yds.
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Post by YoUDeeMan »

dal4018 wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Since LB Travis Beck went out for the season, the Bison defense has given up 24 and 25 points in back to back games. I see Sam scoring 26, and if the Bison offense is clicking against Sam's defense, the score might be 37-26.
Then Emanuel and everyone else must step their game if they are to make it 4 in a row.Neither team has a decent passing attack to speak of SHSU barely averages 200 plus yds a game and NDSU brings back thoughts of Nebraska in the 70s when it comes to throwing the ball.A surprise bomb might win it for either team.Neither team has a top flight WR to make the national list for receptions&yds.
:roll:

Clown boy...check out Ladarius Brown. His pee pee has NFL measurables...that might interest you. :thumb:
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Cluck U wrote:
dal4018 wrote: Then Emanuel and everyone else must step their game if they are to make it 4 in a row.Neither team has a decent passing attack to speak of SHSU barely averages 200 plus yds a game and NDSU brings back thoughts of Nebraska in the 70s when it comes to throwing the ball.A surprise bomb might win it for either team.Neither team has a top flight WR to make the national list for receptions&yds.

Clown boy...check out Ladarius Brown. His pee pee has NFL measurables...that might interest you. :thumb:
Okay I saw him but it means nothing with three inexperienced QBs two frosh one of them a redshirt and a soph playing with him.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Cluck U wrote:
dal4018 wrote: Then Emanuel and everyone else must step their game if they are to make it 4 in a row.Neither team has a decent passing attack to speak of SHSU barely averages 200 plus yds a game and NDSU brings back thoughts of Nebraska in the 70s when it comes to throwing the ball.A surprise bomb might win it for either team.Neither team has a top flight WR to make the national list for receptions&yds.

Okay I saw him but it means nothing with three inexperienced QBs two frosh one of them a redshirt and a soph playing with him.If I were NDSU blitzes would be the order of the night!!!!!!
Bison Fan in NW MN
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU
A.K.A.: bisoninnwmn

Post by Bison Fan in NW MN »

dal4018 wrote:

Actually, NDSU has a pretty decent passing game. The Bison do not run the spread type offense so the deep ball is not a major component of the offense.

Roll out passes, screens, TEs catching balls are the elements of the Bison passing game.

It is pretty effective... :roll:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Sam has some very good receivers and a good QB. Could be another game like the last two weeks and hopefully the Bison can come thru with another win.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Bison Fan in NW MN wrote:

Actually, NDSU has a pretty decent passing game. The Bison do not run the spread type offense so the deep ball is not a major component of the offense.

Roll out passes, screens, TEs catching balls are the elements of the Bison passing game.

Point taken but It would be nice if NDSU used a few deep balls keep them off balance.Who is the top deep threat for the Bison this yr??
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Beck at 6-0 209 is very small if he gets to the next level SS/FS will be his spot unless he gains a extra 20-30 lbs.NDSU is somewhat undersized hope they have plenty of team speed on defense.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

dal4018 wrote:
Beck at 6-0 209 is very small if he gets to the next level SS/FS will be his spot unless he gains a extra 20-30 lbs.NDSU is somewhat undersized hope they have plenty of team speed on defense.
Beck has speed, if you watched the 2011 championship, he had a great int return.

Sam has like 17 FBS transfers, so they have a lot of talent. Should be a good game.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Gil Dobie wrote:
dal4018 wrote: Beck at 6-0 209 is very small if he gets to the next level SS/FS will be his spot unless he gains a extra 20-30 lbs.NDSU is somewhat undersized hope they have plenty of team speed on defense.
Beck has speed, if you watched the 2011 championship, he had a great int return.

Sam has like 17 FBS transfers, so they have a lot of talent. Should be a good game.
Same ol' Keeler. :lol:
Bison Fan in NW MN
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU
A.K.A.: bisoninnwmn

Post by Bison Fan in NW MN »

dal4018 wrote:

Point taken but It would be nice if NDSU used a few deep balls keep them off balance.Who is the top deep threat for the Bison this yr??

Vraa (#82) has been the deep threat the last couple of years. He has a pulled hammy and will not play tonight. I doubt you will see many deep balls tonight with him out. #16 (RJ) can catch anything that is thrown to him and he is a true freshman. WR is one position I wish the Bison would go out and find a really good JUCO player and bring him in. #16 passed everyone on the depth chart except Vraa, he is that good. WR has probably been a weak spot overall as far as depth is concerned. #3 is good, esp at blocking and some of the other guys haven't stepped up their game yet.

I expect SHSU to be really physical with our WRs to take them out of their game. The deep threat is not a real concern, so they can play really tight.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

I expect SHSU to be really physical with our WRs to take them out of their game. The deep threat is not a real concern, so they can play really tight.
Woods is the other receiver that we could see tonight.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Keeler is not alone snatching FBS transfers plenty of others do it as well.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

The Bison do not run the spread type offense so the deep ball is not a major component of the offense.
This makes no sense. Power teams are usually more likely to chuck it deep, not less (at least on a per-pass basis). NDSU may not go deep much, but most power running teams like to set up play action deep balls.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:

The Bison do not run the spread type offense so the deep ball is not a major component of the offense.
This makes no sense. Power teams are usually more likely to chuck it deep, not less (at least on a per-pass basis). NDSU may not go deep much, but most power running teams like to set up play action deep balls.
I was thinking the same thing. Spread teams typically run a ton of screens, roll outs, and pass to the TE's.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
I agree that is why I asked who is the deep threat for the Bison and unfortunately he is out with a hamstring injury and somebody else must replace him.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Bison ahead 7-3.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Bison are in trouble
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

kalm wrote:Bison are in trouble
Explain.

Per ESPN, the Bison are up 7-3 at the half. Is someone hurt? Did someone get tossed? Sure, the stat sheet indicates that the Bison might be struggling just a bit. But so is Sam (again, per the stat sheet). The punting seems pretty good, and if anything, THAT is shading in NDSU's favor (three punts inside the 20 with no touchbacks).

Or were you supposed to end that post [/sarcasm]? I'll admit I'm more than a bit dense when it comes to things like that....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SuperHornet wrote:
kalm wrote:Bison are in trouble
Explain.

Per ESPN, the Bison are up 7-3 at the half. Is someone hurt? Did someone get tossed? Sure, the stat sheet indicates that the Bison might be struggling just a bit. But so is Sam (again, per the stat sheet). The punting seems pretty good, and if anything, THAT is shading in NDSU's favor (three punts inside the 20 with no touchbacks).

Or were you supposed to end that post [/sarcasm]? I'll admit I'm more than a bit dense when it comes to things like that....
I take it back now.

I just thought early that NDSU posed little threat in the passing game. I also felt that SHSU would get to a punt.

NDSU's D is making Johnson look pedestrian. Don't think it's over though.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Over.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Btw, the color guy in this broadcast is fantastic. :nod:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

kalm wrote:Over.
Given that it's now 21-3 in 3Q, there's a VERY good chance that you're right.

Just one thing that might put a damper on things: per ESPN, the NDSU QB has thrown a pick, while the SHSU quarterback is pick-free. Another pick (bad throw, a tip by the D-Line, etc.) and SHSU could be back in the swing of things.

Of course, unless it's a pick-six, they have to actually DO something with it. (Yes, that's a "Captain Obvious" statement. So sue me. ;) )

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.